• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting My New Rice Cooker: Is it Safe to Use?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a Rice Cooker Plus for cooking brown rice in the microwave. The individual had a negative experience with their rice cooker melting while making brown rice. Some individuals in the conversation have had success making brown rice in the Rice Cooker Plus, while others have had their cooker melt. It is advised to check the package instructions for microwave use before cooking and to avoid using the cooker for browning rice without water.
EMarth123
I just got a RCP today & was excited to use it. I was following microwave instructions for my brown rice. It wasn't done, so I put it back on 50% power for a few minutes & it just barely started to melt the bottom when I took it out.

I mean, you can just see in 2 places where there are little rice-shaped areas where the very top coat of the plastic came off. Do you think it's okay? Or am I SOL?

OK brown rice is a no no because it takes to long in the RCP. Stinks I know but that thing is basically for very short cook times. If the bottom or sides even look slightly warped, you may need to not use it. If the walls of the RCP have melted and are now deformed, this means the walls may be too thin to use any longer. Not sure if you can return it either. Check the bag or box the brown rice came in. See the quote from the Use & Care that comes with the cooker:
"To cook rice, refer to package microwave directions.

Do not use if rice package does not include microwave directions.
Do not use when glass casserole dish is specified in directions.
Rice Cooker Plus is not intended for browning rice; do not use butter to brown rice without water."

They do not specifically say do not use for brown rice. There was a thread out here quite a while back about that and it was determined that brown rice takes too long and will melt the cooker 99% of the time.
HTH!

I use instant brown rice all the time with no problem.. usually 13 minutes and it is done. Were you using regular brown rice?

I do regular brown rice ALL THE TIME with no problems. I do 15 min at full, 25 minutes at half, and add an extra 1/2 cup of water. No problems. I have an ORIGINAL RCP (I've been around for awhile) and maybe the product has changed and newer ones don't work, IDK. I have a really powerful microwave too...

I just did a show for a host...she happened to be a customer at one of my shows a while ago, and then just called me to do her show. While chatting with her towards end of show, she bagan sharing about how she had been very disgruntled for a long long time with PC because of a major incident she had with her RCP. She said it started on fire and burned up her microwave as well, and when she contacted PC they werent helpful to her. She has avoided PC up until now. This was years ago. I do remember an incident that made PC news about this and I have a feeling it was her and her incident. She seems ok now with everything but was very bitter towards the company for a long long time. She said she was told by her consultant that she could do brown rice in it so she did.

Nicole, I am amazed you can do that. 1 cup rice, 2 1/2 cups water. I only need 5 minutes on high, 10 on medium then let the thing sit for 20 minutes. I do the same with white rice.(1 cup rice and 2 cups water). But I am very careful to check the boxes and bags of rice I pick up. If it does not have microwave instructions or if it does have the glass casserole listed, I stir clear. I have had two melt myself when I have used more than 10 minutes on high. Never works for me.

Well dang, that's a bummer. The only kind of rice I can have is whole grain brown rice. I make it in my Tupperware Rice cooker ALL THE TIME.

pampered1224 said:
Nicole, I am amazed you can do that. 1 cup rice, 2 1/2 cups water. I only need 5 minutes on high, 10 on medium then let the thing sit for 20 minutes. I do the same with white rice.(1 cup rice and 2 cups water). But I am very careful to check the boxes and bags of rice I pick up. If it does not have microwave instructions or if it does have the glass casserole listed, I stir clear. I have had two melt myself when I have used more than 10 minutes on high. Never works for me.

I always do 3 cups rice, 6 1/2 cups water (sometimes adding a stick of butter and adjusting the liquid). Have never had a problem...don't know!

Slightly off topic... I always do 3/4 to 1 cup rice and double the water for 5 minutes on high and 12 minutes on 50% and it's perfect every time. So if I want to make a larger amount of rice how much do I increase the times? I use Arborio Rice.

If you do 2 cups rice, 4 cups water, then it'll cook in 10 on high, 15 on 50%.

As a side note, here's a fabulous recipe to share...
Coconut Rice (I make with the chili lime meatballs from the appetizer cookbook)
2 cups white rice
1 can coconut milk and enough water to equal 4 1/2 cups liquid

10 minutes on high, 15 minutes on 50%.

I have regular brown rice, but there are so many brands with microwave instructions now. If this has happened before, repeatedly, then I don't understand why it doesn't state not to use brown rice on the U&C instructions.

I put in for an adjustment...I was following all directions appropriately. Sending my other RCP back. Hope that HO gets this fixed and we stop having issues. Hard to sell a product that only works sometimes for some people, KWIM?

1. Can I use my rice cooker to cook other types of grains?

Yes, most rice cookers can also cook other types of grains such as quinoa, couscous, and even oatmeal. Just follow the instructions for the specific type of grain and adjust the water and cooking time accordingly.

2. How much rice can I cook in my rice cooker?

The amount of rice you can cook in your rice cooker depends on the size and model. Most rice cookers come with a measuring cup and have markings inside the cooking pot to indicate the maximum amount of rice you can cook. It's important not to overfill the pot as the rice will expand while cooking.

3. Can I use my rice cooker to steam vegetables?

Yes, many rice cookers come with a steamer basket that you can use to steam vegetables, seafood, and even dumplings. Just fill the bottom of the pot with water, place the steamer basket on top, and add your desired ingredients. The steam from the cooking rice will cook the food in the steamer basket.

4. How do I clean my rice cooker?

It's important to clean your rice cooker after each use to prevent any buildup or odors. Most rice cookers come with a non-stick cooking pot that can be easily removed and washed with warm soapy water. The exterior of the rice cooker can be wiped down with a damp cloth. It's important to never submerge the entire rice cooker in water.

5. Can I leave my rice cooker on overnight?

No, it is not recommended to leave your rice cooker unattended or on overnight. Rice cookers are designed to automatically switch to a warm setting once the rice is cooked, but it's important to unplug the cooker and turn it off when not in use for safety reasons.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
  • Senkimekia
  • Products and Tips
Replies