• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is It Just Me, but the New Can Opener...

In summary, the old can opener can be difficult to use and guests have had problems with it. The new can opener is easier to use and has not had any problems with guests.
Nanisu
Gold Member
I hate it! It seems so flimsy--half the time I have to go around AGAIN to get it to cut through... last week I went to open a small can of diced green chiles for the salsa and I had to go around 4 TIMES! It was embarassing.I've sent 3 back to HO and they are all flimsy. Thoughts?

Haven't had a problem with me.

I have not had issues with the new one; actually love it and so do guests who purchase it.

I have had mixed results personally, but a customer has complained about it repeatedly. I wonder if there is some kind of trick we don't know...

Sounds to me like you need to send yours back - you got a dud. Mine works beautifully...actually BOTH of mine (I got 2), do!

I love the new can opener and haven't had any problems with it! And, my sister HATED teh old one but is now a convert!!

I love mine. It works wonderfully. It's so easy.

My new one works perfectly fine for me ... but not for hubby. The poor guy can't open a can to save his life! By the time he hands it to me, he's damaged the can to the point that I have to break out the older style to get the can open. But I'm starting to think it's technique, not the can opener since he has problems every time & I've never had an issue with the exact same can opener that gives him so much trouble. Of course, he's one of THOSE men who doesn't want to read the directions or take advice from his wife on how to operate it. LOL

Have you tried letting others use it to see if it's your technique? (It's just a theory, of course! ;))

It's just you Nancy! lol I haven't had any trouble with mine either.....yet! now that I've said this it will go on the fritz!

I love the new can opener!

I love mine too, and sell lots every time I use it at a show.

I HATE the new one. At my first show using it, it started peeling strips of metal off the can, so I handed it to a guest and asked them to do it, thinking it was me, no her can wouldn't open either. Then one of the slivers of metal poked my finger and I started bleeding all over from a prick :(, I had to grab a towel and wash my hands a bunch of times. Then we had to pull out the hosts can opener which looked terrible but opened the can at least. Needless to say I haven't taken it to a show since. I have done several side by side comparisons with the old one and it looses every time. Even DH commented that it looked and felt flimsy and it was hard to get around the cans.

My vote? Love it - it's so much simpler somehow than the old one, especially getting the opener locked onto the can in the first place.

i love the new one way more than the old one. with my old one it seems i had to go around the can a bunch of times (especially with the off brand cans), but the new one gets it on the first try every time. send it back!

cincychef said:
I HATE the new one. At my first show using it, it started peeling strips of metal off the can, so I handed it to a guest and asked them to do it, thinking it was me, no her can wouldn't open either. Then one of the slivers of metal poked my finger and I started bleeding all over from a prick :(, I had to grab a towel and wash my hands a bunch of times. Then we had to pull out the hosts can opener which looked terrible but opened the can at least. Needless to say I haven't taken it to a show since. I have done several side by side comparisons with the old one and it looses every time. Even DH commented that it looked and felt flimsy and it was hard to get around the cans.

I suggest sending it back & getting a new one. I think it's faulty.

You've had the same problem with THREE can openers? Sounds like it might be a user error. Have you tried someone else's can opener to see if it does the same thing? I LOVE mine. Even my husband (who up until this point only would use an old 50's style opener) loves it.

Love the new can opener! It's one of the only things that has been "restyled" since I've been with the company that I thought was totally worth the restyle. It's fantastic. You must have a dud.

How can it be user error? Geez, i put it on, turn when it clicks it's gone around....it's not like it's not attaching...

Did you ever think it could be the can? Our can opener doesn't actually CUT the can, it separates the top of the can at the glue where it was attached. Some glue is tougher than others depending on the company and the product in the can.
I make chili a lot and the bean cans work great but the tomato cans (paste&sauce) need two go-rounds. And this is all with the older style opener, not the new one.

Okay, at first I hated it. I went around, twice, but it wasnt open. Plus it was really hard to turn.
So I turned the can over. It was hard to turn, so I took it off and put it back on. I must have had it on wrong, because it started turning much easier. But the lid still wasn't off--but somehow the can felt moist. Then I realized I needed to use the little metal jaws on the side to pick up the lid. I had been trying to slide the lid off, but it really comes UP.
Now I love it. But if it's hard to turn, I take it off and put it back on.
Seriously I was getting so mad that first time I had to stop and have some gatorade, lol

BlueMoon said:
Okay, at first I hated it. I went around, twice, but it wasnt open. Plus it was really hard to turn.
So I turned the can over. It was hard to turn, so I took it off and put it back on. I must have had it on wrong, because it started turning much easier. But the lid still wasn't off--but somehow the can felt moist. Then I realized I needed to use the little metal jaws on the side to pick up the lid. I had been trying to slide the lid off, but it really comes UP.
Now I love it. But if it's hard to turn, I take it off and put it back on.
Seriously I was getting so mad that first time I had to stop and have some gatorade, lol

Marghi, you crack me up!!!!! You should have your own PC comedy hour.

I used to have that problem with the old one; so needless to say, I love the new one!

I love the new one. With the old one I had to go around 3-4 times this one I only have to go around once. My 8 yr old says he loves this one better also.

I am resurrecting this post. I have the old can opener at home and it works without any issues, but his month we are opening cans of black beans for the demo. I have found that they do not always open the first time around. Sometimes I don’t have a problem, but other times I do. Sometimes it is me and sometime it is the guest trying it out. Any suggestions? How can this be user error as previously stated? It was almost embarrassing tonight and it was a real vocal complainer that was trying it. I am pretty close to not showing it and opening any needed cans before the party starts.

Well for me I never had the old one and finally just got the new one! I know I took way to long! LOL

I actually used FPV from my show I hosted in March to get MFP. I finally tried it out for 1st time ever yesterday. At first I thought it didn't work because I've never used a PC one and didn't realize how it opened the can! But I used it twice yesterday and now totally understand the hub bub that everyone always makes about our can opener! :)

I got the old one shortly after I started with PC last year because so many guests raved about it. HATED IT!!! Sent it back for a new one cuz I could not get it to work. New replacement-same thing.

Absolutely LOVE the new one.

One issue, cheap Walmart cans don't always open I guess cuz the metal is so thin it just dents instead of holding it's own and letting the opener open it. But it will work after a few go arounds.

I think it's a combination of user issues and the can itself. Cheap generic cans are a lot harder to open than better made cans.

cookingwithlove said:
I am resurrecting this post. I have the old can opener at home and it works without any issues, but his month we are opening cans of black beans for the demo. I have found that they do not always open the first time around. Sometimes I don’t have a problem, but other times I do. Sometimes it is me and sometime it is the guest trying it out. Any suggestions? How can this be user error as previously stated? It was almost embarrassing tonight and it was a real vocal complainer that was trying it. I am pretty close to not showing it and opening any needed cans before the party starts.

I had the old one before and found that I'd have to go around a couple times in order for it to work. It was past the guarantee period, so I just bought a new one. It worked perfectly and I was so relieved that it wasn't just me!

I LOVE the new one even more though! I love how it self-guides to find the edge of the can! So I think if anyone is finding it not working right or having to go around several times, that you got a dud somehow. Get a replacement and you'll be much happier! ;)

Black beans and certain other things come in cans with a different kind of liner. Most cans have liners - some are white, some are clear so you can't really tell they are there. I wonder if the presence of that liner in some way influences why some cans are easier to open than others?Just a thought. I haven't really had a problem getting a can to open, but I know of some cans I can see that seal or liner stretch out a bit like little strings when I pull the top off. Also, sometimes I can feel the pressure change in the cutting when it's made it 100% around and sometimes I can't - but it always does open the can for me.

I notice generic cans are harder to get open. Have to go around repeatedly to get it to work, however, the non generic work like a charm. I think it's the can, not the opener.

Sometimes it's the user. Safety can openers work a little differently than typical can openers. I saw no need to have three can openers (two old and one new), so I gave one to my son's daycare provider. Her kids had to keep asking him (he's 4½) how to use it. They do take a bit of education.

I have found that the cans actually have glue around the lid and that is what seems to keep it from appearing that it is open, it's glued. Nasty....

1. Why is the new can opener from Pampered Chef so flimsy?

The new can opener from Pampered Chef is designed to be lightweight and easy to use. However, this may result in a perception of flimsiness for some users.

2. Why do I have to go around multiple times to get the can opener to cut through?

This could be due to a few reasons. First, make sure you are using the correct technique when using the can opener. Also, ensure that the blade is sharp and not dull, as this can make it difficult to cut through the can on the first try. If the issue persists, please reach out to our customer service for assistance.

3. I've sent multiple can openers back to HO, but they are all still flimsy. What should I do?

We apologize for the inconvenience and frustration this may have caused. Please reach out to our customer service team for further assistance. We are committed to providing high-quality products and want to ensure your satisfaction with our can opener.

4. Will the can opener be able to handle larger cans?

Yes, the can opener is designed to handle a variety of can sizes, including larger ones. However, it is important to make sure you are using the correct technique and that the blade is sharp for optimal performance.

5. Is there a warranty for the can opener?

Yes, there is a warranty for the can opener. If you experience any issues with your can opener, please contact our customer service team for assistance. We stand by our products and want to ensure your satisfaction with your purchase.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
susanspc
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
hperschnick
  • TWhipple
  • Products and Tips
Replies