1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Sales Inventory - to have or not to have

1. Jillb

Jillb Gold Member

Just wondering should I have an inventory for sale or not?

If I do what do you recommend?

How do you price your inventory?

Nov 8, 2009
  2. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

No way! That's one of the best things about this business.

Nov 8, 2009
  3. AJPratt

AJPratt Legend Member Silver Member

I don't really have one to sell per se. I keep some things on had for giveaways, and when I want to clean out my closet, I will take some cash & carry to a craft fair. I price it for whatever it is in the catalog or catalog it was in. If I am doing a fundraising event, I will take 10% of sales from products and donate it to the charity.

Nov 8, 2009
  4. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

no need for inventory.

Nov 8, 2009
  5. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

It's too difficult to know what to keep in stock! and unless you have alot of $$ to spare, it's not worth it.

Nov 8, 2009
  6. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

The only inventory I have is a) things I got from host specials when I've hosted my own show b) things I purchased to make said show (really small items which I knew I would sell ... or would be happy to have in my own kitchen) and c) things I got in surprise boxes.

I agree it is too hard to know what will sell. My director has cash and carry which she lets us borrow. (If we sell it, we order it and put it back.) However, her house is out of my way and in the past, haven't sold much of her stuff.

7. hmolah

hmolah Member

NO!!! Don't do it. It's too risky and uncertain what will sell and what won't. Not only that, but why hassle with it? When I do booths- I just get those interested in products to host shows! Another reason I love PC - no inventory!!

Nov 9, 2009
  8. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

HO discourages us from having inventory. Do not do it. It is one of the benefits of being a PC consultant - we do not carry inventory. The catalog has awesome pictures of everything and you can show what you own to give a customer an idea of the quality. Our shipping time is so fast that they'll get what they want quickly anyway. What you might buy is probably not what someone will ask for anyway.

Nov 9, 2009
  9. pcchefjane

pcchefjane Senior Member Gold Member

I don't do it at all. I do get an extra Host Special here and there that I use to giveaway as a "big prize" when I get enough outside orders to make a show with my DD as Host. Other than that, no inventory and no plans to carry any! I do buy SBs some to have but last Season I had 50 SBs I had ordered as add-ons to Host orders (cheaper than buying on supply order AND got commission) but ended up having too many so I gave a lot away for various incentives.

Nov 9, 2009
  10. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

That is SO true! Our catalog is extensive, and so it's hard to determine what people are going to want and ask for, and it's going to disappoint people more if you say you carry inventory, but then don't have what they want.

And a lot of our product takes up a lot of space. If you were to carry inventory, you'd have to have an extra room in your house. :)

Nov 9, 2009
  11. lpacker

lpacker Member

Our accountant said "DO NOT". Items bought one year and sold the following year are TOTAL profit, since the purchasing of the item was claimed in the previous year.

Nov 9, 2009
  12. Pedey

Pedey Member

Also, how would the warranty work if you kept an inventory? Is it from the date YOU purchased it or when they re-purchased it, you know?

Nov 9, 2009
  13. Jules711

Jules711 Veteran Member Silver Member

There would be no true warranty on it. I do like to have some discontinued things on hand if they have something good. As for SB, don't just give them away. People love looking for older ones! I give them away too, but not to get rid of them. It's an easy thing to have at a booth.

Nov 9, 2009
  14. mountainmama74

mountainmama74 Advanced Member Gold Member

I agree with everyone here. No inventory!! That's why this business is so appealing to so many of us!

Have something to add?