• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are some examples of shoplifting tactics used by thieves?

In summary, the cashier should have double-checked the cart for stolen items and the woman should have been more careful with her items.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I was all set to get home after working out, running and going to the grocery store. I challenged my team to a booking challenge which included beating me in bookings! Usually at the store I do self check and get out of there. Well for some reason last night I went through an actual line. There were two ladies and a baby in front of me. Come to find out it was mother, daughter and grandson through their conversations. The daughter started putting items on the belt but left SEVERAL items in the bottom of the cart. I figured the mother was paying for those and didn't put my stuff up on the belt. Well as soon as the cashier started bagging stuff the daughter was throwing bags on top of the stuff in the cart. I'm not talking a few items, the entire bottom of the cart was covered with items!

As the daughter was paying for the stuff the mom started pushing the cart out but the cashier realized they had a box of diapers below the cart and a large toy push car in the cart that the ladies didn't pay for. It was funny to hear the daughter play it off as if she forgot!! So they paid for those two items and took off. As I stepped up to the register I told the clerk that she better call security. It did take a while but they managed to catch the ladies at their car. They said they didn't have a receipt for their stuff. Of course this meant I had to wait around the store to talk to the officer myself (yah on my side of town they have officers at the store all the time!).

I was seriously ill and sick to my stomach to think they would try to do that. I don't condone shop lifting but trying to hide one or two items but they blatenly had a ton of items sitting in plain sit in the cart and tried to get away with it! The officer even told me that he reviewed the security tapes and these ladies were going to be a lot of trouble!

I did actually manage to make it home to make 30 minutes of calls and got one booking!

You did the right thing--it never ceases to amaze me when people try to steal, cheat, etc. What examples are they setting for their kids? Kuddos to you.

Good for you! and Shame on them!

Maybe if you find out their names, you can teach them about our business opportunity so that they're able to pay for their stuff next time! LOL!!! :D
Good for you, on telling someone about it. That takes guts!

Thank you! It was weird when I called DH last night to tell him I was going to be late as I had to talk to the cops, he was more worried that I was meddling and his dinner was going to be late! I sort of knew that was going to be his response!

sorta makes you wonder how long they have been doing that...

Cashier need more training too.. I think she's supposed to double check the cart..

My husband is a retail store manager and is amazed by what people will try to do to steal things. He's had people bring in their own bags and try to walk out with the items they stole and act as if they purchased it! You did the right thing!

Wow! I can't believe the things people do.

Good for you.

When in high school, I worked at a major discount retailer as a cashier. I was working the Garden Center check out one evening when two women had a cart full of stuff in bags that they wanted to leave with. It was policy to check receipts. I asked for their receipt & they said the husbands had it in the car already (they had gone out the front entrance). They wanted to take the cart to the car to get the receipt. I had them leave the cart with me & told them to bring the receipt back. Low & behold, they never came back with the receipt.

They had put men's denim overalls & jeans into these bags & were trying to steal them! I mean the cart was stacked full with bags of jeans. I couldn't believe it. Unfortunately, we didn't catch them but we did stop them from stealing that time.

I was in a grocery store about a year ago and there was a guy shoplifting in the aisle--he saw me, turned around and had a GUN in his waistband. I casually walked away and he casually walked out of the store--quickly-- and got in a car. I jotted the license # in my Blackberry and told the store manager...who called the cops. I fully believe he had intended to rob the store. Sheesh.

Nanisu said:
I was in a grocery store about a year ago and there was a guy shoplifting in the aisle--he saw me, turned around and had a GUN in his waistband. I casually walked away and he casually walked out of the store--quickly-- and got in a car. I jotted the license # in my Blackberry and told the store manager...who called the cops. I fully believe he had intended to rob the store. Sheesh.

OMG!! Wow! I waited until they were away from the register before I said anything to the cashier.

At least someone's mama taught them right!! Great job- it takes a lot of courage to do what you did!

cookinfletch said:
At least someone's mama taught them right!! Great job- it takes a lot of courage to do what you did!

Ha! It defidently wasn't my mama! She's been in trouble herself...!

I worked for a grocery store that was going out of buisness, two guys walked in with way over-sizes clothes on. At the time I was in office talking with manager and watching these guys on security monitors. They walked to the back of the store where they started stuffing briskets down there pants. How they even thought they were going to walk out the store was an amazment to me. Needless to say they were stopped by security officers and taken to jail.

purpleluvs3 said:
I worked for a grocery store that was going out of buisness, two guys walked in with way over-sizes clothes on. At the time I was in office talking with manager and watching these guys on security monitors. They walked to the back of the store where they started stuffing briskets down there pants. How they even thought they were going to walk out the store was an amazment to me. Needless to say they were stopped by security officers and taken to jail.

"Excuse me, Sir...is that a brisket in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?"

Sorry - I just couldn't help it! :D

ChefBeckyD said:
"Excuse me, Sir...is that a brisket in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?"

Sorry - I just couldn't help it! :D

Too funny, Becky!! You've been hanging out with Micah too much.:love:

Amanda, I'm proud of you, too. While that whole scenario is upsetting, the worst part, to me, is the fact the mother was involved!! If my kids tried to shoplift in front of me, I'd be the one calling security! :mad:

I can see stealing a package of diapers. I'm not condoning it, but if you're desparate, and have no money, it's sometimes hard to figure the best way to do the right thing. A toy, though?? Not a neccessity - and, I bet some of the things she did spend money on weren't neccessities, either. So, if she had left them on the shelf, maybe she wouldn't have needed to steal the diapers.

Ok, now to say a prayer for them, because we don't know their situation, and God can always turn this to good for His glory.

pampchefsarah said:
Too funny, Becky!! You've been hanging out with Micah too much.:love:

Amanda, I'm proud of you, too. While that whole scenario is upsetting, the worst part, to me, is the fact the mother was involved!! If my kids tried to shoplift in front of me, I'd be the one calling security! :mad:

I can see stealing a package of diapers. I'm not condoning it, but if you're desparate, and have no money, it's sometimes hard to figure the best way to do the right thing. A toy, though?? Not a neccessity - and, I bet some of the things she did spend money on weren't neccessities, either. So, if she had left them on the shelf, maybe she wouldn't have needed to steal the diapers.

Ok, now to say a prayer for them, because we don't know their situation, and God can always turn this to good for His glory.

The daughter was an adult herself so it much run in the family! I have no clue what was actually in the cart but nothing was probably worth what they are going through now.

I could type all night and not even begin to shorten my list of things that happened while I worked at Toys "R" Us here in MN! The shoplifting there was amazing and some wouldn't even try to hide it. I stopped one two years ago (when I was working as a DS), they tried to leave with 12 carts of stuff ($5300 worth) only to be met by the cops cause I called them! Only to find out that group also hit a different store in the area and got 4 carts of stuff from there. I say "WAY TO GO!" and I have been in your shoes waaayyy to many times to count!*clapping for you!*

We have about 4 major grocery stores and 3 Aldi's in our area. We have a big mixed bag of low income people living in these areas. Every single one of those stores has a big sign at each register that simply reads - "Check the bottom of all carts." And believe me, they do. That was very cool of you. That good deed should back around to you as well.

pampered1224 said:
We have about 4 major grocery stores and 3 Aldi's in our area. We have a big mixed bag of low income people living in these areas. Every single one of those stores has a big sign at each register that simply reads - "Check the bottom of all carts." And believe me, they do. That was very cool of you. That good deed should back around to you as well.

Other stores in this area also have mirrors on the side of the register next to them so they can see the cart better.

I was a plainclothes detective that arrested shoplifters for years in my other life. One of the best/worst cases I had was a mom who used her 3 year kid to walk out of the store with $1300+ worth of sunglasses/jewelry/stuff (yep, it was a very high end store I worked for). She basically loaded up the child and sent him out on his merry way (alone I might add) and then pretended to chase him out of the store. This was her m.o. as I had seen her do it the day before too! And yes, I caught her and yes I called PD and child protective services.

1. What is "Interesting Night Last Night!"?

"Interesting Night Last Night!" is a popular recipe collection from Pampered Chef that features a variety of delicious dishes perfect for any occasion.

2. What types of recipes are included in "Interesting Night Last Night!"?

The recipe collection includes a mix of appetizers, entrees, and desserts that are perfect for a fun and lively night with friends or family.

3. Are the recipes in "Interesting Night Last Night!" easy to make?

Yes, the recipes in "Interesting Night Last Night!" are designed to be simple and easy to follow, perfect for any skill level in the kitchen.

4. Can I use Pampered Chef products to make the recipes in "Interesting Night Last Night!"?

Yes, many of the recipes in "Interesting Night Last Night!" feature Pampered Chef products, making it a great way to showcase and utilize your kitchen tools.

5. Is "Interesting Night Last Night!" suitable for special dietary needs?

Yes, there are options for vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free diets included in the "Interesting Night Last Night!" recipe collection.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • lorilynn95
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pampered.chris
  • General Chat
Replies