• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Interesting... and a Bit Depressing...

In summary, the newsletter's spam score was raised because of a URL in the BIZ top-level domain. The content also contains a warning/disclaimer that your offer or recommendation is not a "get rich scheme".
PampChefJoy
Gold Member
I periodically run my newsletters through a spam-checker to see how I'm doing in terms of writing content that won't get flagged by ISPs. The trend I'm seeing lately is that it's getting harder and harder to pass legit email...

Here are the flags from the August newsletter:

(0.8 points) BODY: List removal information
(0.8 points) URI: Contains a URL in the BIZ top-level domain
(0.7 points) Contains a warning/disclaimer that your offer or recommendation is not a "get rich scheme". Consider rephrasing
(0.2 points) BODY: Stop the offers, coupons, discounts etc!
(0.1 points) BODY: Claims you can be removed from the list
(0.1 points) BODY: List removal information
(0.1 points) BODY: HTML link text says "click here"
(0.1 points) BODY: HTML font color is green
(0.1 points) BODY: HTML font color is blue
(0.1 points) BODY: HTML has a big font
(0.1 points) BODY: HTML font color is red

While I can control the font color (though it would look a bit more bland overall if it were the same color from start to finish), I can't control that our PWS end in .biz, I can't stop writing about our discounts (duh!) and I guess our biz opportunity is considered a 'get rich quick scheme' - (ha!).

It certainly makes me think about how to go forward in making sure all your emails get to your customers, but also how to get the info out and make it look interesting enough for people to want to read. It would be great if spammers didn't ruin it for the rest of us to begin with!

I always thought the list removal, et., info made it clear we ARE legit. Certainly, I've had people take advantage of this option. :(

I'm sorry it's getting so tough for you, Joy. We certainly appreciate all you do to make such an amazing newsletter for us to send to our customers (I hope it's safe for me to speak to so many of your clients).

Does this mean you won't be able to send my newsletter out?

Would it help for it to be a .pdf attachment sent out? I've been wanting to sign up for an e-newsletter (and have told all of my guests I plan on having one) but I've been wondering about how many will actually receive it as many of my hosts have stated they are not receiving the email from the PWS that i send yet when I send a personal email it goes thru (so I know I have their email address right).

Hope we can all figure something out. It's always the bad apples that spoil the bushel.

Ginger428 said:
Does this mean you won't be able to send my newsletter out?

No problem... getting ready to send them out tonight.

Melissa78 said:
Would it help for it to be a .pdf attachment sent out?

I think even more people would NOT open a PDF attachment, for fear of viruses or simply because they don't want to wait for it to load, or think it takes too much time to read.

I signed up for an IContact trial through your website and uploaded August's newsletter and before sending it out did the spam check and it came up with a total score of 0.7. it said that a score of 5.0 would definitely flag the message as spam. I wonder why their spam checker gave a different score?

Joy I usually take out the removal info. I figure that icontact has a link at the bottom of the email for them to request removal. I started to remove it when I had a problem months ago, icontact wouldn't send one newsletter because one of the recipes that was included used the word "remove". Like I said, It has been months since it happened.

elijahstrust said:
I signed up for an IContact trial through your website and uploaded August's newsletter and before sending it out did the spam check and it came up with a total score of 0.7. it said that a score of 5.0 would definitely flag the message as spam. I wonder why their spam checker gave a different score?

I used a different spam checker...

BlessedWifeMommy said:
Joy I usually take out the removal info. I figure that icontact has a link at the bottom of the email for them to request removal.

I started to remove it when I had a problem months ago, icontact wouldn't send one newsletter because one of the recipes that was included used the word "remove". Like I said, It has been months since it happened.

Hmm... that's a good point! Maybe I can just ditch it on the icontact version, then...

Reading this thread, makes me wonder if an invitation sent by a Hostess via my PWS,
ever got delivered. Can you believe she had a list of 480, and we have reminded
folks three times, and have only 6 orders? I had expected her to have at least a 10% order rate.

I had lots of wonderful Tech Support in getting this person's list up and running.

The last couple of hosts that have used my PWS were having problems with the invites being delivered. Only about 1/2 of what they invited actually got them.

hey Joy, my newsletter won't send to me! I've done it like 7 times and nothing! Please help!

Thank you !

I don't know what's up with the sending this month... several people are having trouble. If I request it myself, it comes right through though :( I just added a 2nd copy of the same newsletter (#40) to see if there just a glitch with the coding on #39... do you want to give it a shot?

You want me to try sending again? I will now!

I see how you added the 8-3 and sent that one. I also clicked on the icontact tab and saw the fall flash and fall new products and sent that to me as well as the newsletter through icontact. I got the 2 flyers but no newsletter. :(

Do me a favor and try # 40 again (labeled "test - do not use") I shortened the code to include only a few articles. What I think is happening is related to how long the newsletter is.... just need to confirm my theory.

it worked!! What should I do now?

Hey, Joy.... I'm having a problem with the Create your Own feature. Just thought you'd want to know.

PampChefJoy said:
... What I think is happening is related to how long the newsletter is.... just need to confirm my theory.

Speaking of the newsletter length, I thought you might like a little constructive criticism: I requested the sample from your web page reviewed it, forwarded it to my husband and he said the same thing that I was thinking "too much info". Neither one of us read the whole thing. :blushing:

When my step-sister sold PC a few years ago, she sent out super long e-mails that would take a good 5 min's to read the whole thing. I quit reading her's too. :blushing:

Sheila said:
Speaking of the newsletter length, I thought you might like a little constructive criticism: I requested the sample from your web page reviewed it, forwarded it to my husband and he said the same thing that I was thinking "too much info". Neither one of us read the whole thing. :blushing:When my step-sister sold PC a few years ago, she sent out super long e-mails that would take a good 5 min's to read the whole thing. I quit reading her's too. :blushing:
Sheila,I actually offer several different versions and lengths. The one you get on sample request is the longest, but if you sign up for the free trial, you can download or view all the other versions as well. I like to think I have something for everyone :)Oh, and you always have the option to further edit. Nobody ever has to use the entire newsletter verbatim, but I find it's better to give you all the material and let you edit out what you want, rather than try to make up more articles because I didn't give you enough.

chefann said:
Hey, Joy.... I'm having a problem with the Create your Own feature. Just thought you'd want to know.

What exactly is the issue?

PampMomof3 said:
it worked!! What should I do now?

Well, if my theory is right, it's because some email programs will automatically flag junk mail if the content is over a certain length, so I need to see if I can clean up the code... I'm working on it right now. In the meantime, I'll forward you a copy of yours...

PampChefJoy said:
What exactly is the issue?
I get a "trying to create from blank" error, even when I have all of the spots filled. Let me go play with it again and copy the exact error for you.--
It's after creating it, when I select "download HTML," I get this error:
An error occured:
File: /homepages/41/d91935190/htdocs/tastytidbits/connect/sections/articles.sec.php
Line: 272Message: Creating default object from empty value
It wouldn't be a big deal, but I still use Constant Contact, so I have to copy and paste the HTML into the templates.

PampChefJoy said:
Well, if my theory is right, it's because some email programs will automatically flag junk mail if the content is over a certain length, so I need to see if I can clean up the code... I'm working on it right now. In the meantime, I'll forward you a copy of yours...

YOU ROCK! THANK YOU! I've never had a problem before so this is a new thing.

Also, I woke up this am, changed some info and sent it out.
Within 10 minutes of sending, I had one of my past consultants email me asking what she needed to do to resign! She stated that she has had several people asking if she sold anymore.

So, I just emailed her back and I might have a new recruit today! YAY!

Thanks Joy for working so quick to get that to me. :D

Thank you so much Joy for working on getting us another option of the August newsletter. I was also having trouble receiving a copy and thought to look under CS and voila, you were working on the problem. This am I was able to succesfully receive a copy. Hugs to you for working so hard for us!

Ann - I'm working on it...

The newsletter 2nd version I uploaded does not have the going going gone article. It seems every time I upload code that contains alot of images, email systems go all funky with it. I think the multiple images triggers spam filters. I have a plan for next season changeover.... I can make the entire thing one big image instead of several smaller images. You would lose the ability to edit individual images, but you probably never need to make changes to that section anyway.

Joy, As a test, I took out all of the business opportunity info, and ran the spam checker. It still tells me that I have a biz opportunity. So I'm thinking that the checker must just be looking for a word & that the newsletter has it other places.

PampChefJoy said:
Ann - I'm working on it...

The newsletter 2nd version I uploaded does not have the going going gone article. It seems every time I upload code that contains alot of images, email systems go all funky with it. I think the multiple images triggers spam filters. I have a plan for next season changeover.... I can make the entire thing one big image instead of several smaller images. You would lose the ability to edit individual images, but you probably never need to make changes to that section anyway.

I just looked back and last February I sent a Going Going Gone email. It had 14 images. I know it must have gone out because I had the highest open percentage on that email (to date).

Did you send it separately? The going going gone included in the August newsletter is what makes the code so long...every linked image adds up in a spam-calculator...

BlessedWifeMommy said:
Joy, As a test, I took out all of the business opportunity info, and ran the spam checker. It still tells me that I have a biz opportunity. So I'm thinking that the checker must just be looking for a word & that the newsletter has it other places.

It might be because your PWS ends in .biz... everything I've read said that is a BIG trigger. And we can't do anything about it... :(

PampChefJoy said:
It might be because your PWS ends in .biz... everything I've read said that is a BIG trigger. And we can't do anything about it... :(

duh! That just stinks!

And yes the Going Going Gone in February was by itself. I'm planning on sending one the same way mid-August.

And the problem with the .biz isn't likely to go away, with all the new domain extensions coming online soon. :(Thanks, Joy! I got my newsletter out today by copying the code from the regular August one (and deleting sections) instead of using the build your own area. But I did want you to know about the issue.

1. What is the purpose of running newsletters through a spam-checker?

The purpose of running newsletters through a spam-checker is to ensure that the content being sent out will not be flagged by Internet Service Providers (ISPs) as spam. This helps to increase the chances of the newsletter reaching its intended recipients' inboxes.

2. What are the most common flags that can prevent a newsletter from reaching its recipients?

The most common flags that can prevent a newsletter from reaching its recipients include containing a URL in the BIZ top-level domain, using certain words or phrases that could be associated with spam, and having a high number of HTML elements such as different font colors and sizes.

3. How can the issue of using a .biz top-level domain be addressed?

Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done about the use of a .biz top-level domain. It is important to note that while this can be a flag for spam, it does not automatically mean that the email will be marked as spam. It is still important to monitor and optimize other aspects of the newsletter to increase the chances of it reaching its recipients' inboxes.

4. Is it possible to avoid using words or phrases that could be associated with spam?

While it may be difficult to completely avoid using certain words or phrases, it is important to pay attention to the language used in the newsletter and try to rephrase or reword any content that could be flagged as spam. This may include avoiding words like "get rich quick" or "discounts" that could be associated with spam.

5. How can we ensure that our newsletters are both effective and not marked as spam?

It can be challenging to strike a balance between creating interesting and engaging content while also avoiding being marked as spam. It may be helpful to regularly review and optimize the content and design of the newsletters, as well as staying updated on any changes in spam-checking algorithms. Additionally, maintaining a clean and engaged email list can also help improve the deliverability of newsletters.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jwpamp
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
jwpamp
  • chefann
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
chefann
  • magentablue