• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Reducing Host Time: lkhartmann's Advice & Yours!

babywings76
Gold Member
I saw in the chat box last night lkhartmann's advice on how she reduces the time that she is in a host's home. She said she arrives just 20 min before the show starts and she's out in 90 minutes. I have NEVER been able to accomplish that, so I asked her if she wouldn't mind sharing some more details about it in a thread so we all could see it and benefit from it. If anyone else has great experience with this, too, please feel free to jump in and share how you do it, too.

All my shows start at 7 pm.... no waiting for slow pokes!! When I annouce that the recipe is ready for sampling, I also tell the guest that I am ready to take their orders. I also hint that morning starts earlier then 6 am in my house so late nights are a killer for me and I am always out the host door by 9 pm... 9:30 at the latest. Iif the host /guest want to visit more that is fine... I'm just not there ...

I arrive 20-30 minutes before the show. That gives me a chance to set things up and briefly chat with the host. The demo and my talking takes about 45 minutes max, then orders probably another half hour. If my show starts at 6:30 I am on my way home by 8:30 most of the time. So just over 2 hours total plus drive time. I never do a recipe that takes more than 20 minutes if I was doing it in my own kitchen (takes a little longer when I'm talking). I start with intros and thank you's (10 minutes), then demo, then wrap up (5 minutes), then check out.

Do you take your dirty dishes with you or wash them there? And what recipes do you use?

When I do intros I ask what is the favorite product. If I am using it in the recipe I ise it then even if I have to set it aside. (sometimes you can't but...) .i am often done with recipe when intros are done. I only take what I am using and then do the queen of shoppers game as a wrap up so they are looking at the catalog. I don't do. Door prize. I then say I am going to clean up and will start taking orders in'10-15 minutes depending on the clean up needed. I take dirties home. I also say I will take orders til 830p. I no longer have stragglers who socialize and not look at the catalog til I am done. I have been known to say the Pampered Chef is the kitchen store who comes to your door, and the store closes in 10 minutes. If it is a group I work a lot with they know the drill but ironically those I tend to stay and socialize at. I also do a lot of prep work in e 20 minutes I have before show starts and engage people as they come in to help. I also start on time saying they vcan fill in as we do intros. My sales average is 700 and I do 4-5 shows a month as that is all I can fit in my schedule. I have 5 firm team members and 1 straggler

I like the idea of saying that you will take orders til 8:30. I also work full time and get up at 4am. I very rarely do a weekday show - except maybe on Thursdays. I will start giving them a store closing time - love that:love:

Cathy pclady said:
All my shows start at 7 pm.... no waiting for slow pokes!! When I annouce that the recipe is ready for sampling, I also tell the guest that I am ready to take their orders. I also hint that morning starts earlier then 6 am in my house so late nights are a killer for me and I am always out the host door by 9 pm... 9:30 at the latest. Iif the host /guest want to visit more that is fine... I'm just not there ...

my show time states 7 on the invitation but if I started at 7, I would be doing the show for just the host. I find that most guests come at least 15 minutes late, no one wants to be the first one there... except for the one guest who has 3 little kids at home and practically ran out of the house. Then she's there at 6:59:)

You can do an on time drawing to get people there. I find when I put on time drawing on the invite please are there early. Wash dishes at home. Format:
Intros/on time drawing/host thank you/fav products
Demo
While demo cooks, talk about booking, warrenties, business opportunities, yada yada
Food done: help yourself to food I will be taking orders nowI did this w 18 people and was done in and out in under 2 hrs. Prep food ahead. I show up 30 mins early and do food prep.

doughmama said:
my show time states 7 on the invitation but if I started at 7, I would be doing the show for just the host. I find that most guests come at least 15 minutes late, no one wants to be the first one there... except for the one guest who has 3 little kids at home and practically ran out of the house. Then she's there at 6:59:)

I started PC in 1998 and I told the host that 7 pm meant 7 pm... not 7:05... A few times I have had to tell the guest 'sorry you were held up but as you can see we are on step 2/3 or 4 of the recipe'. The host & guest then knew I was serious with the 7 pm start time. Get the host to 'start' the show at 6:45... then they might be on time

Last edited:
I do work on "training" my customers they know I am a punctual person and start on the time.. I do the on time drawing, I give out recipe cards to all. I mix them up so... They also know whomever is first gets the prize to hold for queen of shoppers. ( I mix that up as well normally a rub) There are times it doesn't work out but more often than not it does...

I guess I just worry about being too strict, that people think I'm rude. I have this fear of offending people or turning them off. :blushing:I arrive 30 min. early. What happens to me, typically, is that while I'm prepping, people come in and the host starts chatting with them. I look at the clock and they won't stop talking and I try to say things like, "well let's go ahead and get started", but then stragglers come in and everyone gets distracted and they socialize. I like to do the demo of the recipe, but it seems that sometimes with crowds like that I should just go ahead and make the darn thing without them listening and being involved. But then I have to rework the show and figure out what to do and say.I tend to be done after 45 minutes, but they keep shopping. So I start doing dishes so I'm not hovering. They want to visit and gab and shop at the same time, so I don't want to be rushing them. But I secretly do because I want to be done. I stop doing dishes to do check out when people are ready. There usually are people ready real quick. While I wait some more I do more dishes. Then I finish everyone and now I'm looking at a few more things to wash, then I dry them. Meanwhile I'm talking w/ my hosts, so this takes a little longer. Then I pack up. It always seems that I'm leaving their home between 9-10 depending on how big the crowd was and how chatty the host is.So I really need to listen to how you guys do this and see what I can do to improve....so please keep sharing. :)

babywings76 said:
I guess I just worry about being too strict, that people think I'm rude. I have this fear of offending people or turning them off. :blushing::)

I think it is all in how you present yourself. I am in Social Services administration for my full time job and I think that helps me get people to do what I want them to do while letting them think it is their idea. I have a smile, I socialize, I am polite, and I think the biggest thing is I am doing the demo while I do introductions, so even if people are late, I can include them even if it means repeating info about the same product. (and if it is stone repeat away.) The great thing about this business is there is no wrong answer. It is what works for your crowd and your personality. :chef:

you have a great tool in your kit.... the timer... set it to ring when you want the show to start. When it rings and gets everyones attention get them to sit down. Set it again to ring to start the show (1-2 mins) and then START the show!
I get the guests to introduce themselves and talk about their favourite product while I am doing the demo ... sometimes the demo is finished and there are still a few guest to be introduced but that is ok.
Some of my shows, I have never said a word about any product that I use.. as soon as I pick up a tool one of the guest will start talking about it and I just keep working ... the best seller is the guest who already LOVES the product

So for those of you doing the demo while doing the guest introductions....how are you doing that? Are you not talking about the products? or I see Cathy you said you have guests say they talk about a product as you are using it?I'm a bit unclear as to how you could tie in the introductions during the demo. My show tends to be JUST LIKE Amanda's. I'm not forceful in getting people to "behave" ;). I have been having the hosts buy the food to save me money, but it stresses me out more because none of the prep work is done (ie- washing, or peeling, etc), and I have a really hard time doing THAT and getting set up in 30 minutes before guests arrive! So I'm going to go back to bringing the ingredients, so I can prep ahead some.
I'm not really good at talking AND cutting at the same time- I tend to hurt myself. ;) I was going to start using "On-time drawing coupons" from an idea on Steve Wiltshire's calls. he sends 3 to each invitation- one for the invited guest, and two to give to "friends you'd like to party with!". Then the host gathers the coupons when it's time to start and you start. I like how it was spelled out. But I also like the intro/demo combo idea...so really curious to hear MORE about how you do that....pretty please?

esavvymom said:
So for those of you doing the demo while doing the guest introductions....how are you doing that? Are you not talking about the products? or I see Cathy you said you have guests say they talk about a product as you are using it?

I'm a bit unclear as to how you could tie in the introductions during the demo. My show tends to be JUST LIKE Amanda's. I'm not forceful in getting people to "behave" ;). I have been having the hosts buy the food to save me money, but it stresses me out more because none of the prep work is done (ie- washing, or peeling, etc), and I have a really hard time doing THAT and getting set up in 30 minutes before guests arrive! So I'm going to go back to bringing the ingredients, so I can prep ahead some.
I'm not really good at talking AND cutting at the same time- I tend to hurt myself. ;)

I was going to start using "On-time drawing coupons" from an idea on Steve Wiltshire's calls. he sends 3 to each invitation- one for the invited guest, and two to give to "friends you'd like to party with!". Then the host gathers the coupons when it's time to start and you start. I like how it was spelled out. But I also like the intro/demo combo idea...so really curious to hear MORE about how you do that....pretty please?

OK I intro: HI my name is Lisa HArtmann, I will be your consultant for life.... I give my spiel about who I am and why I do this and say... enough about me... Who are you... That takes about a minute.... then I say... please intro yourself and what your favorite product is...and why

Guest: Hi I am Sue and I love the food chopper... because it is quick and easy..... blah blah...
Me.. If I am using the chopper I use it to use whatever is needed for or if I using the MFP I will say.. Sue have you seen the big brother? and then I will show that.... sometimes I will pass it around with food in for them to use it as I talk about it so when it gets back to me the food is done.and I probably have moved on to the next person and item by then.
I pick quick easy recipes.. the artichoke bites a huge one this selling season because it is quick yummy and I no longer do it as bites, rather I do it as a dip because it saves time and I tell them they can scoop it in the chips and bake. I precook the bacon when I get there in the microwave when I get there so it cools. But I also ask for turkey bacon as it is healthier and precooked so I am just heating it. (less time.)

There are shows I will socialize at for longer but there are times I want to get in and get out. I am a single mom and I don't want my teen home by herself for to long so...... Also I try not to work weekends so I guarentee the host I can be out of their home by 9 pm so they know they won't have a late night on the week day work night. There are days this doesn't work but I really try....
If they want a weekend and I don't want to give mine up I offer them one of my downline, they normally take a Thursday then..... ;)

"But I also like the intro/demo combo idea...so really curious to hear MORE about how you do that....pretty please?"

I have to say, I find this strange. Personally, I couldn't focus on fixing a recipe AND be genuine in listening and engaging with guests while they introduce themselves. And, it's a party! People are there to have fun, relax, laugh, unwind. They're not in a hurry. Of course, they don't want to be there forever, but if they're chatting up the products, I'm certainly not going to stop them!

My shows aren't short, nor are they long. I do have a show binder that keeps me ontrack, and keeps the guests knowing we're moving along.

I do intro's but always make it fun. Since about mid-April I've been having everyone tell what fun thing they plan to do over the summer and that if they're lucky I might join them.
Then I go over specials and intro products (talk a lot about stoneware-tons of guest input, I ask lots of questions), then do booking slide.
Then I have everyone come to demo area, and do a REALLY FAST demo (no more than 5 minutes). But, I get helpers! Often, I'm listening to guests before we start and will have a few that mention certain products they'd like to see and I get them to come try (often it's the f.c. knives).
Then I do the "It's your turn to tell everyone the one or two PC products you have in your kitchen you use all the time and/or couldn't live without." This conversation is the meat of my show.
Then I do my biz op commercial, stealing hearts, c.c. slip/drawing, close.
90% of the time I wash my dishes before I leave. Once everyone eats and shops, I'm usually just about finished with the dishes anyway. It gives me an opportunity to listen in and answer questions, and mingle while I wash.

I don't rush people, I don't rush my host, I don't ever look at the clock! I do judge the time and adjust what products we'll discuss based on how much time we spend on certain things. And, if I know I'm using f.c. or cookware in my demo, I'll spend time on those while doing the demo (still only about 5 minutes). In my opinion, if guests are talking and laughing, not getting restless, they are having fun and it's all good.

If my show starts at 6, I arrive at 5:30, prep, start at 6:15, and am usually leaving the host's house by 8-8:30. I average probably 12 people per show and my show average is over 700.

Sunday night 7 pm - call my host - how many attending/ food for recipe - washed and on tray/food on tray in fridge...and questions.. thanks

Morning of show - pack my kit in one bag and as much as my tool turn around can hold

3 pm - check email for any last minute info from host - # of guest or product wishes

6:30 - arrive at host home - one trip to door

quick look at food for recipe and if problem fix it now!

set up table and but catalogue/order form and pen on chair/couch for # of guest + 2 extra... if host said 10 then I bring 12... need extra then you need to share because you didn't RSVP... sorry,but I am a firm RSVP person and people need to start showing more respect for the host...

Collect outside orders from host & confirm payment etc

7 pm... SHOW time.. I want to start by thanking everyone for joining us in host home and thanks to host for allowing me to bring my Pampered Chef products into her home. With out the generous welcome of my host, I would not have the dream job that I have!
Thank you dear host.

The recipe that I will be making for you this evening is the ______, and I will use my PC products to transform this tray of ingredients into a delicious sample for you to enjoy. While I demo the tools, I would like everyone to introduce themselves.. it is a two part intro.. your name and your favourite PC tool.... don't have one? WHY? lol

I have started the demo and continue with my talk...
The catalogue that you have in your hands is yours to keep, so please take a moment and write your name on the top right hand corner. Did you know that you don't have to attend a PC show to order? You can order by calling/emailing or visiting my website... you will find all the information that you need on the back cover, but I really do want to meet you at cooking shows because we have lots of fun, great food and get to socialize with friends that we haven't seen in ages!!

Guest introduce themselves and talk about the tools.. if I am using that tool in the demo, I will tell them and if not I always give them another use for it from one they have said.
I use their name in the reply and thank them for attending or if they own another PC tool I will ask them how they like it.. If they have a problem with a tool, I talk about the warranty and how the 30 day return works etc

I will work my way to the end of the recipe and chat with each person...large groups of 20 - 25 get the same talk but I shorten up my replies

Recipe into the oven... Set my timer and I take a quick minute to tidy up my work area.... all of my used dishes go into a reusable plastic lined cloth bag. If the host offers to wash them I will say "thanks but no, my dishwasher is almost full at home and all of this will fit in nicely". Sometimes they take the bag and wash and sometimes no... no problem for me as the dishwasher is always ready... lol

After I tidy up. I again thank everyone for attending and go over the specials, talk about the recipe books that are on display, the host 60 % off special and how if guest books then the host gets the special at her show. I invite everyone to get up and mingle/ pick up the products/ ask questions. When they are ready to order, please lay the completely filled in form UPSIDE down beside my tool turn around and I take from the bottom and tally them up.

Timer goes off - recipe out of oven and I walk around the room with the food and talk about stone/mitts etc. Stone on counter with plates/napkins/ forks and thank the host and invite the guest to cut/serve themselves using my pizza cutter/forged knife /mini serving spatula... this way they get to use my tools.

I remind the guests that I am ready to take their orders and that I will be slowly packing up the products. first to pack up is the tool turn around, then cookbooks, and then I start on the large pieces. I stack them into the black & White quilted bag and if someone wants to see a product it is there for me to pull out.

Full service checkout... guest have filled in all the info on the order form and I total it.
call them up for payment..
Thank you for joining us tonight, did you have fun?
Please take a second or two to look through my little black bag and select a thankyou for attending gift ( sample of pc items from the supply order form)
Did you learn anything new tonight about PC?
Would you like to receive my monthly newsletter?
Any products that you would be interested in IF they went on special?
Did you know that you can earn those products FREE by hosting your own show, just like tonights host is going to earn? When would you MAYBE like to have your own show?
Lets pencil that in right now on my calender and then you can check your own calender once you get home. I will call you on ___ before tonight's host close her show to confirm the date.
Here is your copy of the order form and if you should have any problems at all, please call me... leave a message if I am not home and I will get right back to you... thanks and it was so nice to see you again.

I keep a running total of the orders and once the last guest has given me her order, I am ready to close with the host. Give her a show total breakdown as per guest sales.. encourage outside orders to increase sales and confirm the date and time for closing and thank her for a wonderful evening... out the door!

I make most of my recipes on the bar pan... Taco braid /chicken broccoli braid/ tomato basil pizza etc desserts are mainly brownies or angel food with fruit salsa type

I do not take all of the host specials and I don't take all of the cookbooks. I carry only what will fit in the bag and tool turn around. I take two host pkg to each show. If I have 3 bookings, I make arrangements to meet the host with the host pkg.

I don't rush people and do stay longer if I am needed but I want to be home by 10 pm

I have 10 to 15 at my shows and do 5-6 shows per month with a show average of $800 ... some months are crazy and some I only get 2 shows per month.. this is not a full time job for me, as I also operate a cash crop farm and construction business with my hubby plus I keep the accounting books for 3 companies and day care my 5 grandkids for my 3 shift working children and their spouses and principal health care driver for the in laws and my mother.... if anything this is my sanity job.

the best tool that makes a successfull show is the guest that is using the Pampered Chef tools... let them talk... and talk and talk... who really cares what the consultant is saying ... they believe the gal sitting next to them. .... the next best is the catalogue...let it do the showing...

I have a sticker for On-time drawing that I put on my invitations, and I do start on time. I let my host know this in the host coaching. I arrive 30-45 minutes before the show to set up and do prep work. I have all veggies washed and cored and ready to go. I make fajitas at almost every show, so I have 2/3 of my peppers cut in strips and 1/2 of my onion already cut so that my demo is very short. I also have the toppings for the fajitas sliced, chopped, etc and in my cool and serve tray before any guests even arrive.I start out with a thank you to my host, a brief introduction of myself and start the demo while people are introducing themselves. When they are saying something that I consider my 'red flag' they get my undivided attention. I ask them to tell me if they've ever been to a show before and if they own PC products. If so, what is their favorite and what do they use it for? I'm an advocate for finding multiple uses for products. I take my carry less bag and put only the tools I am going to use. (DCB, CBB, tongs, meas. spoons, prep bowl, salad choppers, MFP, Serving Bowl, 2 FC Knives. One to use, and the other (in sheath) to pass around. I take my cutting board and flexible mats-both sizes) I'm hoping I haven't forgotten anything! I usually have the fajitas in the microwave within 10 minutes and we're off to making the salsa. We kind of have a race of who can make it faster. I take my tomatoes, cilantro, red onion and jalapeno and divide them in half between the CBB and the MFP. I hand the CBB with the salad choppers to guest #1 and do a couple quick chops to show her how it's done and tell her to chop 5-10 times and pass it on. I will then demo the MFP and have the salsa done in less than 2 minutes while they are still chopping. I pour the salsa into the cool and serve where I've already prepped the cheese, lettuce and sour cream. and we chat while the fajitas are finishing up. I then transfer the fajitas into the serving bowl, wash out the DCB and make a lava cake for dessert while they are eating. They are very skeptical about the transfer of flavors but I make firm believers out of them when I do my demo this way.I do rave about my "Magic Pot" and I tell everyone to write it on their order form. If they can't get it tonight, mark it with a "W" so that I know they want it and I'll help them get it. If it's too big, guess what? It has a baby and it's called the RCB! Write that down if you want the baby instead!I wash my dishes at the hosts house and I do the FSC in another room for privacy. I tell everyone to eat while I clean up and will take orders from those that need to leave early first, but I do only check out ONE at a time. (my fundraiser didn't turn out that way, which was very uncomfortable for me)I am usually out of the host's house in 2 hours. Every now and then I encounter a "chatter cathy" but I tell them I have to work in the morning so I gotta run!Bottom line is that most people have seen the demo and appreciate you not wasting their time. If they want to know, they will speak up either at the demo or check out. I tell them to write absolutely everything they want on their order form and put a "W" next to what they can't order tonight as their wish list. This, is how I usually get my bookings by that "W".

Bottom line is that most people have seen the demo and appreciate you not wasting their time. If they want to know, they will speak up either at the demo or check out. I tell them to write absolutely everything they want on their order form and put a "W" next to what they can't order tonight as their wish list. This, is how I usually get my bookings by that "W".

this is so true at most of my shows.. so I try to keep things short and
I am 'borrowing' you 'W' idea as it will work much better then my 'put a star/check mark in the catalogue on the products that you would like to own'

Thank you ladies for posting such detail. :D. You have given me lots to think about.

You can also ask your host to have the food prepped. I think it is even explained in the new consultant kit recipes. There is a grocery list and prep for the host (wash vegetables, peel, etc.) You certainly don't have to have them do this but a lot of times hosts ask what they need to do and I suggest that they could make things go faster if xyz is done ahead of time.

Bottom line is that most people have seen the demo and appreciate you not wasting their time. If they want to know, they will speak up either at the demo or check out. I tell them to write absolutely everything they want on their order form and put a "W" next to what they can't order tonight as their wish list. This, is how I usually get my bookings by that "W".

I get quite the opposite. Many are tired of the demo and love the hands on. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard "oh, that's how it works?" The interaction is the selling point.

I am curious though,how many people have you recruited using this method?

I get people hands on, but I don't force it. When I first started 2 years ago, getting anyone to want to use a tool was like pulling teeth. I announce during my demo that if anyone would like to try any of the tools now, to let me know. Some will try them out after the demo. (I have even brought extra veggies and tell people that they are doing my food prep for my week's menu at home if they want to try the tools.) The only time I have not had difficulty getting help is when I injured my hand and told everyone that if they wanted to taste the recipe, they were going to have to cook it because I couldn't lift anything. They all jumped up. What I find is that the guests sell the products more than the consultant. I let them rave about their favorite and if I happen to have it with me, I have them demo it for their friends. I haven't recruited anyone. I wasn't aware that this was about recruiting? I thought it was how to have a shorter show and still get decent sales. My show averages are usually around $500.If you keep the demo short and get people out of there in 2 hours or less, they appreciate it. That's how I get bookings.

Great ideas!! Counld you do the party at 6 or 6:30? That is my time, because by the time I get home it is late so I have the host make the time earlier.

Another thing is to let the host know that you will start at 7:05 as to wait for those who may be late, but reminding her that those who arrived on time are expecting to leave on time. Not only is it true, but you are not "the heavy"!

I wasn't aware that this was about recruiting? I thought it was how to have a shorter show and still get decent sales

I do the recruiting and after they watch the dvd that home office gives them, they ask me if they can shorten it to what I did at their show.... that is the great thing about PC... do what you want as long as it works for you.

The interaction is the selling point.

I have done shows where no one seems to pay any attention to me to the ones where I can't get a word in because they are so excited about PC but still sit in their seats...same results ... great sales and happy host and me home early.

Do what works for you and share ideas with others so they can pick and chose to make their show better... in business for ourselves BUT not by ourselves.

What are some tips for reducing host time?

Some tips for reducing host time include:- Encouraging guests to arrive on time- Having all ingredients and tools prepped and ready to go- Streamlining the recipe and eliminating unnecessary steps- Preparing make-ahead dishes- Delegating tasks to guests

How can I make hosting a Pampered Chef party easier?

To make hosting a Pampered Chef party easier, you can:- Schedule the party for a time that works best for you- Prepare a menu and shopping list in advance- Enlist the help of a co-host or friend- Utilize Pampered Chef's online invitation and ordering tools- Take advantage of host rewards to make the planning process smoother

What can I do to keep my guests engaged during the party?

To keep your guests engaged during the party, you can:- Start with a fun icebreaker or game- Include interactive elements such as taste tests or hands-on cooking demos- Encourage guests to ask questions and share their own cooking tips and experiences- Offer prizes or rewards for participation- Keep the atmosphere lively and fun

How can I ensure a successful Pampered Chef party?

To ensure a successful Pampered Chef party, you can:- Be organized and prepared- Promote the party to your network and remind guests to RSVP- Make sure the space is clean and inviting- Have plenty of food and drinks for guests- Follow up with guests after the party to thank them and offer any additional support or assistance

What are some ways to make the most of host rewards?

Some ways to make the most of host rewards include:- Selecting items you genuinely want and will use- Using your rewards to stock up on pantry staples or kitchen essentials- Trying new products or recipes you may not have otherwise- Sharing the rewards with friends or family members- Taking advantage of special offers and promotions

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• keynibear
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • texasteacher
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
texasteacher
  • Dotty