• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Immunizations for Children: A Parent's Perspective and Discussion

In summary, all of the parents interviewed said that they get vaccinated for their children. Some parents said that the benefits of not getting the diseases outweigh the risks or side effects of the shots. Some parents said that they read books about the Shots from their chiropractor and decide whether or not to get the shots for their children based on that information. Some parents said that their children are up to date on their shots, except for Hep A. Some parents said that their school requires shots for students, and that their district requires shots for certain children.
JAE
I'm just wondering who gets immunizations for their children and who doesn't. If you don't, I'd really like to know why and where you get your information. This is not meant to be a thread to attack those with opposing opinions. SO, PLEASE DO NOT BE OFFENSIVE! I really want some information from all the parents or parents to be about this.

I DO get immunizations for my kids. I've read a few books from my chiropractor on possible side-effects or learning issues, etc., but at this point in time, the benefits (not getting the diseases) far outweigh the risks or possible side effects of the shots. Especially with things like meningitis when they get older.

janetupnorth said:
I DO get immunizations for my kids. I've read a few books from my chiropractor on possible side-effects or learning issues, etc., but at this point in time, the benefits (not getting the diseases) far outweigh the risks or possible side effects of the shots. Especially with things like meningitis when they get older.

Same for me.......I really debated this issue, and for a while, really worried every time Micah had his shots......but in the end, fear of disease won out!

oh man, where do i start? my dh and I read SO much information about this issue. We felt that the diseases outweighed the risks and proceeded with the shots. Well, when our oldest went for his 9 month shots, that night he had a VERY bad reaction to his shots. He screamed ALL night and that point we knew how people go crazy from their children. It was a very trying night for us and we called our pediatrician. He told us that he had a reaction and because of that, he couldn't get them again. His body rejected them for a reason and because one child in the family had a reaction, the other siblings could not get the shots. SO, we have 3 children and only our oldest has had the shots until 9 months old.

my family has a medical exemption but I know there is a religious exemption as well. My chiropractor (I'm a chiropractic assistant) has a ton of information that we can send you if you want. Just let me know. :)

I thought kids had to have shots to go to school??

Even the daycare here asked for shot records before they would take my DD.

The law says you have the right to refuse shots, but daycares don't have to accept your child. Public schools do have to accept your children, but in MI you have to go to the Health Dept and get some certificate. I heard before they give you the exemption you have to watch a horrifying movie.

Kristi, I'll PM you.

JaimeQ said:
I thought kids had to have shots to go to school??

You can be exempt if you are not getting the shots for religious reasons. My brother-in-law was 24 and had never had a shot in his life. This year he went to Egypt so he had to get them all at one time just to be able to fly. :yuck:

Their family has always been really heathly. His parents are chiropractors and don't believe in putting anything unnatural into their bodies.

From what I read there are some shots that the doctors keep on hand that can have multiple doses in one bottle and they have to keep sticking a new needle in each time. You can request to not have that (I would), but most people would never even know to ask.

I've learned to really question the doctor and find out if it's a mandatory vaccination or just something they recommend. I've found they they give a lot more than what the state or the schools require. Some of them are fairly new and I'd rather not give something to my kids that hasn't been around long enough to really know all of the potential side effects.

It's actually not true that you must have immunizations to travel into this country or out of this country. The govt. does not tell you that it's optional, but it is.

I won't be the one to tell him :eek: after all of those shots he had to get. I'll let him go on believing it was mandatory. :p

My kids are up to date on all of their shots except Hep A. Never heard of it and it is not required by our school district, which we will be in when they start school in a few years. Our district requires 3 Hep B, 2 Chicken pox, mmr, and I think that is it, maybe one more. They require Hep A if you are born after a certain date. My youngest missed it by a year or if you move in from out of state. The only reason I refused Hep A is I have never heard about it. I told the dr I would have it done at a later time if I needed to for school.

My kids have some of the shots. They are not required to have any for school or daycares and do not need a letter of exemption. I struggled for a long time before I got my second child shots when she was a baby. I didn't get them for her till she was around a year. Only because she had some trouble in utro that the doctors weren't sure what caused it so I wasn't going to give her shots that may have hurt her in any way. I did alot of reading. You have to be so careful in what they put in to their body. One vaccination cannot be given if you have a latex allergy. Only knew that because I did some reading before hand. These were shot that were to be given at the school and had I not read the info my kids could have had a very awefull reaction.

both my kids had all of their shots, with no reactions at all. I guess I'm fortunate in that regard. Funny you should bring this up today...I was substituting today at one of our schools, and was updating vaccinations in the new comupter program. There is a student there who's mother does not believe in doctors, so she will not get her kids immunized. Some personal convition waiver that people are allowed. However, if kids in school are not immunized, and that particular disease has an outbreak, they are not allowed at school. makes sense to me.

There are only three ways you can be exempt--medical, religious, and philosphical. Each state allows different exemptions. In CA, you can claim all three. In IL, you can only claim a medical or religious exemption.

The laws are different everywhere.

I do do vaccinations but we do them slowly. I only allow 2 vaccinations at each well visit. I don't get the MMR until my children are 2 and I don't get the chicken pox vaccinations until they're in kindergarten. I also skipped the Hepatitis A vaccine altogether.

Where I live if your child does not have their shots.. they take them out of school until their done. and your not allowed back until their done. Everyone says well you can say religious reasons you don't' have to have them.. BUT I don't' want my little girl sick with something weird......my daughter has had all over her shots without any reactions to them.

I have both of my children immunized... I just feel that the benefits definitely out way any possible side effects.

My 2 oldest kids are completly immunized my 3rd has had her 1st set of shots but hasnt had any since she broke out in hives all over her body. I will do them probably at her 15 or 18 month visit one shot at a time so it will take forever to get her caught up until we find out which one she reacted to. But when I do the immunizations my kids have to be extremly healthy not even a runny nose. I worked for a dr who dealt with autism and he strongly believes the MMR is the cause of it and when I took my daughter in to see him he said it is scary to get the shots but scary not to. I do have a friend who does not immunize and does home school. The only time her kids saw the dr was at birth. Also with Hep B I DO NOT get it at the hospital.

My children have had them all!!!

Both my kids have them, but after doing some research on them, I don't know that I would get them all if I had to do it over again. It's interesting to see the comparisons of kids with them vs. ones without them and how much healthier the ones w/o are (no ear aches, etc.).

We finally gave into the chicken pox one for my DD but both my dh and I thought it was ridiculous. If you're exposed early enough, you miss a few days to a week of school, you itch and that's about it. Now, if a couple of kids end up with it, it's considered an "outbreak!"

I didn't even think about it with my first 2. They said they had to have them done, so they had them done. With my 3rd I had learned more about the risks and tried to get them to separate the MMR shot and to basically unbundle all of the bundled shots. At the time they agreed to it, but still gave her the bundled shot. I didn't catch it until after when I counted the needles. Before the shot they kept saying, "Oh yes, we will get her the individual shots". Oh wait...that was with #4. Our 3rd just got them all. Not on time, but she is up to date.

My good friend's oldest son has Aspberger's, which is a type (?) or form of Austism. She also believes that the shots are the cause of it or at least a major contributing factor. He is on the spectrum as she calls it, but is extremely high functioning.

It's amazing to follow the things like the added required immunizations and links to things like autism.

Chef Kearns said:
My good friend's oldest son has Aspberger's, which is a type (?) or form of Austism. She also believes that the shots are the cause of it or at least a major contributing factor. He is on the spectrum as she calls it, but is extremely high functioning.

My children (12 & 17) received all shots on the schedule the pediatrician recommended. We didn't even question it. So much has changed since they were babies.

My sister has two boys (4 & 6), both have autism. Lori has done EXTENSIVE research on the subject and firmly believes that vaccines have contributed to the problem. She recommends that all bundled vaccines be "unbundled". Like the MMR...needs to be divided into separate shots. Some pediatricians won't or can't offer this. She goes to a special DAN (Defeat Autism Now) doctor specifically when they need shots. The mercury in vaccines is believed to play a part in the development of autism.

I agree that the benefits of immunizing against a disease far outweighs the risk of getting the disease but I also believe in erring on the side of caution and splitting up the vaccines when they are bundled together.

Side note...some of my sister's friends have asked their doctors to give separate shots and have been scoffed at. Some doctors will treat you as if you are overreacting or paranoid. The doctor has been "hired" by you to preform a service. Once you have researched it and have made a decision...stand your ground. Unbundling a vaccine doesn't hurt your child .....it just causes you a bit more out of pocket for the doctor office co-pays. Small price to pay when you consider the alternative.

Search "autism" on Chef Success....there are a couple threads on autism and I believe vaccines were discussed too.

my son has had all his shots. i love and trust his dr. so when he said do the shots we did it. he's never had a reaction to anything, ever. thank god.

My son had all his immunizations. My pediatrician will try to give only one at each visit, as he can get one done without the child crying.:) Dr. says when you see kids all day, it is important not to make them all cry.

As for the link to autism, so far there has been no well-designed, repeatable study that demonstrates a link. In science, those are important words. If others are unable to repeat your results using your methods, your results are not conclusive in the scientific world. My theory is we are better at diagnosing autism than before, resulting in higher number. One explanation for the apparent link between immunizations and autism is autism often manifests at the same time the MMR is given, so the "link" is a function of timing, not a cause and effect.

My take on immunizations? They are not just for the child. The are for the child as they get older (mumps can be dangerous in an adult, having the disease chicken pox as a child can reccur in adults as shingles, incredibly painful) AND for the "herd immunity". If a large subset of the population is immunized, it helps prevent disease in those who cannot be immunized due to health issues.

Robin

I do think you have to look carefully at all studies and how they were conducted and if they are repeatable. BUT I also think immunizations are a big business and those businesses have very large lobbying groups. I don't trust the government to give us all the necessary facts because there is too much money involved.
Studies cited by government agencies are quite different than the ones cited by organizations against immunizing. There's a lot of confusing and conflicting information out there.
I really appreciate everyone's input.

I am a special education teacher and work with children with autism. There is no proof that immunizations cause autism. How do you account for the rising number of children with autism in countries with no immunizations? Unfortunately, we don't know what causes it. There are all kinds of theories including, exposure to plastic. But I'm not going to cut plastic out of my life. I see how devastating autism can be to a family, but I've also seen how devastating disease can be. My children are all immunized.

Sorry, this is a very touchy subject for me. I tried to hold off as long as possible as I was reading the threads. BTW, love my job, wouldn't trade it for the world!!

I happen to disagree that immunizations are proven to not be causing autism. Like I said previously, there is so much conflicting information and it isn't all readily available either.

Both of my kids have had all of their immunizations. My youngest did have a small rash after his 12 month shots, but we're not sure which one caused it. Other than that, I don't think we've never had any problems with vaccines.

All my boys have gotten theirs, but unfortunately my youngest has always had severe reactions. He was really young when he got the first chicken pox vac. (he also had a pretty bad cold at the time) Within 2 hours he got chicken pox!! I was astonished! I argued with them about his being sick, would it still be okay... Oh, yeah.. It's fine. I called and told them I wanted it reported, all that.
Here comes this year for shots... they never had his reaction on record and I was (again) arguing about the chicken pox shot.. So they said, oh, you don['t want it? (Lots of cold looks) so I thought he wasn't getting the chicken pox one... get this~ they gave it to him! I said no! He of course got a reaction again, his poor arm was all red and puffy and swollen and I had to pay the stinkin co-pay again for them to look at it and do nothing. (I watched them type the reaction in this time..)
Hopefully we are moving soon so I can get a new ped. The boys are hardly ever sick, thank goodness so we don't go much.
Don't even get me started on the medications they try to push on the boys!

I didn't say it is proven immunizations don't cause autism. I said there is no proof. I agree, though, there is sooo many theories out there. We may never know. Very disturbing as a parent!!!

Both my boys had vacs, and had no reactions, but after lots of research, I would def. not have done them. They can be exempt here in colorado and if I'd known I would have denied them the vacs. I do beleive that the mercury in vacs are a contributing factor in autism as well as a other things and I really don't believe that kids need all those vacs.
I know my ped. would have disagreed, but oh well, I hired her. She works for me. I would have found another ped. who had my philosphy.

Jennie4PC said:
My 2 oldest kids are completly immunized my 3rd has had her 1st set of shots but hasnt had any since she broke out in hives all over her body. I will do them probably at her 15 or 18 month visit one shot at a time so it will take forever to get her caught up until we find out which one she reacted to. But when I do the immunizations my kids have to be extremly healthy not even a runny nose. I worked for a dr who dealt with autism and he strongly believes the MMR is the cause of it and when I took my daughter in to see him he said it is scary to get the shots but scary not to. I do have a friend who does not immunize and does home school. The only time her kids saw the dr was at birth. Also with Hep B I DO NOT get it at the hospital.

I also work for a dr who believes that the MMR is a HUGE cause of autism and we see autistic children in our office all the time. I feel that things happen for a reason and I was hired at this job when I was 4 months pregnant with my first child. I had no idea that you could even refuse them until I got hired there. It's a touchy subject for a lot of people and my dh and I know that we made the right choice for our family. My in laws don't agree with us and we would never do anything to our children that would harm them either.

It's great to see everyone's reply! Keep em coming. Also, JAE, i didn't receive a pm from you if you sent one!

My son had all of his shots and I think they are needed. I do know in MA you need to have shots to be in daycare (I had a daycare in my home for 6 years) and as for school I know they are required but I don't know if/what the exceptions are.

ChefJWarren said:
I am a special education teacher and work with children with autism. There is no proof that immunizations cause autism. How do you account for the rising number of children with autism in countries with no immunizations? Unfortunately, we don't know what causes it. There are all kinds of theories including, exposure to plastic. But I'm not going to cut plastic out of my life. I see how devastating autism can be to a family, but I've also seen how devastating disease can be. My children are all immunized.

Sorry, this is a very touchy subject for me. I tried to hold off as long as possible as I was reading the threads. BTW, love my job, wouldn't trade it for the world!!
20 years ago autism really wasn't heard of...most people with severe autism were labeled with other titles. Now that we understand more about autism and how better to treat children and adults with it of course more people are being diagnosed. There are varying degrees of autism - my cousin is highly functioning, attends mainstream school, but is autistic. He will probably attend college on a scholarship and is brilliant with numbers. Yes he is different, but most of peers just think he is quirky and nerdy b/c he is so smart.

When my oldest was a baby (almost 6 years ago), my husband and I really researched this extensively. We honestly feel that the risk of NOT getting the shot is HUGE! My children have all of their shots and are current.

When my daughter was almost 2 1/2 yrs, she feel very ill (stayed in the PICU for days). To eliminate many illness (including meningitis which you get vaccinated for) she had to have a spinal tap. My husband I stood there holding her, and I honestly pray no parent EVER has to experience this. At this point I knew the vaccines were a very wise decision.

Yes, in some cases it is better for kids not to be vaccinated; these cases are actually very isolated. I suggest calling the CDC (look the number up online) and hear what they have to say both about the vaccine, the illnesses, and not vaccinating- you might be surprised how deadly and life altering some of the diseases we vaccinate against actually are. Also talk with your pediatrician and find people who are well educated on both sides of the argument.

On a personal note, if one of my children ever fell ill from something that could have been prevented I would never forgive myself. These illnesses can be quite deadly especially for kids. I did ask for the MMR to be separated for my oldest, but not with my next 2 and all of my children function quite well.

Christ Follower said:
It's interesting to see the comparisons of kids with them vs. ones without them and how much healthier the ones w/o are (no ear aches, etc.).
QUOTE]

My little one has had all her shots to date. Maybe i'm just lucky but my DD has not had any ear infections (knock on wood)or anything else serious.:)

When my DD had her hives the dr called the CDC and they said they didnt know what to do they have never had someone that young react that is one reason why I have waited till she is older.

JaimeQ said:
Christ Follower said:
It's interesting to see the comparisons of kids with them vs. ones without them and how much healthier the ones w/o are (no ear aches, etc.).
QUOTE]

My little one has had all her shots to date. Maybe i'm just lucky but my DD has not had any ear infections (knock on wood)or anything else serious.:)
All 3 of my kids are up-to-date on immunizations and I can count on all the times they have been ill...granted my oldest was very ill when she was 2 (PICU) but that was to ROTA virus and an awful reaction to the virus that could not have been prevented or foreseen.

All 4 of my children have been vaccinated. I can count on one hand the number of times collectively they have been sick.
There is NO proven cause and effect between the MMR vaccine and autism - remember when the 8 week shots were "supposed" to have "caused" SIDS? It's like a previous poster stated - the signs and symptoms of autism appear around the same time the MMR is given. Just like in the SIDS case - SIDS risk peaks at 8 weeks, nothing to do with the shots.
That being said, I do understand a parent's right to choose whether or not to vaccinate their children. But please be aware that there are many people, myself included ( I have lupus) who cannot be vaccinated due to immune system and other health problems. These people rely on others being immune. So when you make the decision not to vaccinate, please be aware that you can be putting other people at risk as well.

JAE, I started the immunizations for my son. He was a happy sunny, baby.
After the 6-month shot, he screeched and keened for 8 hours and I was afraid he would die. It was on the list of possible side effects. Unfortunately, my son was one of those 1 in 10000s. Nearly wore out the phone to the pediatrician, that day.

We did continue the immunizations when he was older - kindergarten age.
It went fine.

My boys have had them all, even the weird ones...flu shots, pox, meningitis, pnemovac and the new one. I could have told you 5 minutes ago what it was for, but I can't think of it now!!

Marg said:
All 4 of my children have been vaccinated. I can count on one hand the number of times collectively they have been sick.
There is NO proven cause and effect between the MMR vaccine and autism - remember when the 8 week shots were "supposed" to have "caused" SIDS? It's like a previous poster stated - the signs and symptoms of autism appear around the same time the MMR is given. Just like in the SIDS case - SIDS risk peaks at 8 weeks, nothing to do with the shots.
That being said, I do understand a parent's right to choose whether or not to vaccinate their children. But please be aware that there are many people, myself included ( I have lupus) who cannot be vaccinated due to immune system and other health problems. These people rely on others being immune. So when you make the decision not to vaccinate, please be aware that you can be putting other people at risk as well.

Well said!

My son has had all of his vaccinations. I knew that I could refuse them, but thought that I would be a bad mommy if I did so he had all of them on schedule. He has NEVER been sick (other than minor colds, sniffles, pink-eye, and the croup). He's now 5 1/2. He had the flu shots once when he was a tiny baby, only b/c it was a bad flu year here and the Dr. made me feel like I should.

Here is a few articles about thimerosal (mercury) in the vaccinations.

http://www.fda.gov/CBER/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

WebMD Health Search
This one has several pages of different articles on this subject/debate.

Tonia

My Daughter has had all of her immunizations as well... She has been a really healthy kids expect for the minor cold, flu, pink eye, and ear infection...... But I could have also decided not to do them. But where I live if your children do not have them. They can not attend school. Is one reason the other reasons is I do not want to put others at risk. My brother in law can not have the flu shot becasue it has egg in it, And he is allergic to eggs. I know weird food allergy.

Your responses are all very interesting. Thanks.

My children all received their vaccinations. I am in the process now of getting my 17 yr old vac. for menengitis...now required for college...and I plan to take my daughter for the new vac that is suppose to help with cancer...she is 14. She and my youngest will also be vac. for menengitis.

I believe it is important to receive vaccinations. You not only protect your child, but others as well. I can understand not getting them if there is a reaction, but otherwise, if one child has to have them, then they all should. How angry would you be if your small child caught a disease from an older child...who should have already had their shots, but didn't because they didn't want to. And, as far as your child having a "little itch", how hard is it for you as an adult to not scratch when you have a "little itch". Scratching can lead to scarring...especially in the face.

However, we all know that vacines don't always work. All of the children in my youngest son's class were vac. for chicken pox, but when they were in the 2nd grade there were several children in his class that had severe cases of chicken pox...must have been a bad batch of vac. I do know a woman who refused to get the chicken pox shot for her daughter because she wanted her daughter to have the chicken pox...strange, but true. My sister and I both had the mumps at the same time, and my mother also had them with us. My brother had the chicken pox as a teenager and it was really bad for him. I am glad they came out with a vac...even though it doesn't always work.

I also strongly recommend that adults...and some children...get a flu shot. If you work in the food industry, with children or work with the elderly, you definately need one. As usual, this in my opinion and not meant to say anyone else is wrong. We all have to make our own choices.

Last edited:
I am a nurse and both of my kids have there shots. My son just went for his 1yr and got those and had the blood draw for lewad and cbc. The dr called to tell use that he is anemic. So he is now being watched. It is important to at least get a baseline so that down the rode thay have something to look at.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
jcsmilez
  • krzymomof4
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
etteluap70PC
Replies
Views
robochick84