• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Immunizations for Children: A Parent's Perspective and Discussion

In summary, all of the parents interviewed said that they get vaccinated for their children. Some parents said that the benefits of not getting the diseases outweigh the risks or side effects of the shots. Some parents said that they read books about the Shots from their chiropractor and decide whether or not to get the shots for their children based on that information. Some parents said that their children are up to date on their shots, except for Hep A. Some parents said that their school requires shots for students, and that their district requires shots for certain children.
I don't think it's strange at all to want your child to get the chicken pox rather than the vaccine. It's really only a probelm to get the chicken pox if you have a suppressed immune system. If you eat and live healthy that shouldn't be a problem. IMO!
Personally, I think the government should spend more time, energy and money on educating people about eating fresh fruits and vegetables, good hygiene, general cleanliness, and daily vigourous exercise and strengh trainng. I also think they should be truthful (full disclosure) about all of the risks of vaccines not just the risks of not getting the vaccines. Again, IMO.

Unfortunately one of the problems with a child getting a childhood disease is that with most you don't realize your child has it until he/she has exposed all of the other children in the school/daycare/neighborhood. And, unfortunately, some parents...a small amount...don't keep their children away from others even when they know their child is contagious. Every time my oldest would stay with my MIL, he came home sick. The first time with Roseolla...not sure how to spell that...because she took him to church and another child...who the parent knew had it...gave it to him. He was only about 5 months old. Society is different these days. Parents don't stay home with sick children...they send them to daycare/school, etc. Most families have 2 parents who have work outside the home and a lot do not have family around to help them in these situation. And, unfortunately the daycare/school may not know the child is sick until they see a rash or have a child with high fever. Sometimes parents don't even realize their child is sick until it is too late...but sometimes they know it and send them anyway. I have seen it many times in the school system.

And yes, the government should give us full disclosure. But, everyone knows the importance of proper eating and exercise...we are just a society of lazy people when it comes to that sort of thing. I personally do not like the fact that the government tells me I must wear a seat belt...which hits me in the neck and leaves scratches...but I wear it anyway, and make sure my children wear theirs also.

Last edited:
JAE said:
I don't think it's strange at all to want your child to get the chicken pox rather than the vaccine. It's really only a probelm to get the chicken pox if you have a suppressed immune system. If you eat and live healthy that shouldn't be a problem. IMO!
Personally, I think the government should spend more time, energy and money on educating people about eating fresh fruits and vegetables, good hygiene, general cleanliness, and daily vigourous exercise and strengh trainng. I also think they should be truthful (full disclosure) about all of the risks of vaccines not just the risks of not getting the vaccines. Again, IMO.

I totally agree.

FYI, schools require the chicken pox vaccination (in most cases) because they lose $$ when your child is absent. It's not a "health concern" thing.

Christ Follower said:
FYI, schools require the chicken pox vaccination (in most cases) because they lose $$ when your child is absent. It's not a "health concern" thing.

How do they lose money?

Robin

I think it is up to the parents to make the best informed decision about vaccines for their children and family. Informed being the key word, because so many of us just do things b/c the doctor said so, or the drug company commercial tells we need this or that. Until we started researching vaccines, we had no idea the contents of the vaccines, like aluminum, mercury and aborted fetal tissue. The doctors never asked us if our children had an egg allergy or a latex allergy. These are things that need to be discussed before the shot, not after the fact.

I got my kids the chicken pox vaccine but I fought with my DH about it. I didnt want to do it I figured they could get the chicken pox and be immunzed for life. Now that they are requiring a booster for the chicken pox shot he has questioned it.

Last edited:
Priscilla...schools receive money based on the children in attendance. However, it is actually based on enrollment. You tell the state...with paperwork...how many children you have at the beginning of the year and you get paid based on that. Around October...I think...they check again to make sure you haven't "padded" the enrollment...and yes, schools do that...and the rest of the year is based on that number. It may not be October, I can't remember what my Dad told me. For schools who serve lunch, they are reimbursed on the children who eat and drink milk. Schools need children to be there in order for the district to stay open. But I really believe most teachers and school personnel are concerned about the health and welfare of our children. There are a lot of bad teachers and school personnel, but there are still a lot of great ones too.

Okay. I don't think people really know how important it is to eat more fruits and vegetables and I don't really think it's the governments responsibility to tell us what to eat. BUT because immunizations are required, they should have to give us the whole story...EVERY SINGLE BIT.

I agree that if I decided not to vac. my son and he got sick or worse based on my choice I could never forgive myself. I am all for getting more information about the vac. but I do feel that children are better off getting them.

Just being the devil's advocate...Would you be able to forgive yourself if your child had a severe reaction to a vaccine? Severe as in permanent brain damage, crippling, death...

JAE said:
Just being the devil's advocate...Would you be able to forgive yourself if your child had a severe reaction to a vaccine? Severe as in permanent brain damage, crippling, death...

That question is not fair. It implies that the parent has some control over the reaction. Even if you have 3 children who have not had reactions you could have 1 that has a reaction. However, you could also have 4 healthy immunized children.

Now, right back at you...Would you be able to forgive yourself if an outbreak of measles or worse happened and your child died needlessly?

I think if you read previous questions and posts, my question is just as fair as others posed. Children die needlessly because they were vaccinated. My question is just as fair as the other way around. BTW my children have been vaccinated and are up to date for now.

So JAE do you not immunize your kids??

I think it is definitly the parents choice whether to get your kids immunized or not and people one here who hae stated that they dont immunize have very good reasons. As I stated before my 2 older kids are immunized #3 isnt yet but she will be. When I do them I do it I feel very smart. My girls will not get the Gardisil vaccine at all

Sorry JAE I think we posted at the same time. I also want to add it is interesting to hear why people do not vaccinate thier kids. My friend does not vaccinate her kids at all in fact the only tiome they have seen a dr is when they are at the hospital waiting to be discharged the oldest one is 7

JAE said:
I think if you read previous questions and posts, my question is just as fair as others posed. Children die needlessly because they were vaccinated. My question is just as fair as the other way around. BTW my children have been vaccinated and are up to date for now.

I didn't read the last few posts. My bad!:rolleyes: I hit last page and your message showed up. I thought I was caught up.:blushing:

No problem.

My son is 6 months old and has gotten all his shots so far. I am going to wait until after he is 2 for the MMR, and I'll have them separate them. If they won't, I'll switch pedis. Did anyone watch Jenny McCarthy on Oprah yesterday? The CDC made a statement that they are doing more research on the MMR and it's link to autism. I think that if they're researching it, it's a good enough reason to hold off on it!
I think whatever decision a parent makes for their child is the right one.

I give them to my son and will give them to my baby when the time comes.

I have a questions for those that do not give them that may have already been asked: What happens when the school ask for a blue slip for shots? How do you get around that? Do they give you a lot of problems?

I dont know if the schools give people problems but I know you can get a medical waiver or religious waiver.

I know where I live the schools do not give out waviers unless their is a exterme medical reason why that a child can't have a shot... IE an allergy to a vacinaction...... etc...

OK....someone a few posts up mentioned the Gardisil vaccine. I have been so back and forth on this one!!! My initial gut reaction (especially to those states that are wanting to require this shot) was, WOW just one more thing to allow kids to think it's OK to have sex and not worry about the consequences (not that there aren't still, but you know what I mean!)! And then I had a friend make the point that while you can teach your children to abstain and NOT have the shot, but then marry someone that may not have waited previously, and then transmit the HPV carried from a previous relationship. OR, your daughter could be protected. Well that really made me think!!! However, I'm still pretty conflicted to be perfectly honest! Especially since the shot is so new, and there could still be room for some tweaking to it. Anyway, did all that make sense??? Does anyone else have some thoughts on it?

There is NO way I will give my girls that Gardasil shot!! No way! I do not have any research or anything like that, but the whole thing stinks to me. I have given my kids the other shots that are out there and are required; however, we WILL NOT be getting this one. I think it starts us on a slippery slope toward things that can be horrendous! It seems relatively innocent right now, but...

I hate to be that kind of doomsday person, but in light of history I think I am becoming that way with stuff the government is behind. I will question first.

Jennie4PC said:
I dont know if the schools give people problems but I know you can get a medical waiver or religious waiver.

I personally go to my health department and they give me a special blue waiver form. After I turn that in, my school has had no problems!

I didn't get to catch the Oprah show yesterday and wished I knew it was on. I just read the transcript and am so happy to speak up about it!! You GO JENNY!!!:D

In some states you can file exemptions for 3 reason: medical, religious or philosophical.

Here is a link with all sorts of information about Gardisil
Children of God for Life

Basically, the vaccine is so new there are no long term studies showing risks or benefits. Immunity may wear off within 5 years, which begs the question, why vaccinate a 9 year old if she has to get the vaccine again at 14-15, or why vaccinate a 15 year old if she has to get the vaccine at 20?

We chose not to vaccinate our two children now 14 and 12.

It's a very personal and tough decision for any parent. We felt the risks of the shots at such a young age outweighed the benefits; Mumps, Measles, Rubella, Chicken Pox, Whooping Cough are very inconvienient but not life threatening in otherwise healthy children. And yes, there are always the exceptions, whether it is a reaction to a vaccine or getting a bad case of any one of these diseases. No guarantee either way - so you just have to go with your gut. Our doctor is very understanding and supportive.

Improvement in hygeine (and yes, indoor plumbing) over the past decades have contributed to the eradication of these diseases far more than immunizations. A change in the definition of what constitutes polio happened in the 50's and viola, less instance in the disease.

In Maine we are able to sign a waiver for school (religious or philosophical) to exempt from immunization. My kids have always been very healthy, no ear infections, seldom flu, no allergies, occasional cold. Didn't do day care but attended public school since Kindergarten.

Might be a different story when they go to college, but by then their system is developed and would hopefully be better equipped to handle a vaccination. My only concern would be for my daughter to not be immune to measles before she decides to start a family or if one of them were to be cut/ burned badly I would go for tetanus. Other than that we sort of feel like if it ain't broke don't fix it...

I did see Oprah yesterday & Jenny McCarthy - I commend her for speaking & writing about autism. I do believe vaccinations are contributing to autism and possibly ADHD - just one womans opinion....

I just have to say that the government is behind all vaccinations. ALL of them, not just Gardasil.

Wow, this discussion is a really nice surprise -

I also watched Oprah with Jenny McCarthy yesterday, and it really made me think! I immediately went and "Googled" vaccinations and autism and was overwhelmed with the amount of information on the controversial topic. I am a first time mom of a 20 month old boy and have been kinda obsessively worried about Autism since he was probably six months old. Not because he showed signs of it but because of the overwhelming amount of press that has been devoted to it recently. All of my friends are kinda the same way. We all worry about it and anytime our children do anything "odd" we analyze it. My husband, Mom and sisters all thought I was crazy for worrying about it so much, but they all admit now that they can't turn on the TV or read a magazine without hearing the word Autism. The strange thing is, until listening to Jenny McCarthy - I had never heard Vaccinations linked to Autism. I have heard things like the rise in the number of sonograms being done on pregnant women in recent years being linked to it and I've also read articles on the effects of too much television? It is all mind blowing!

I read the post referrencing SIDS and the theories on its causes. What makes the MMR link to Autism more plausible is the alarming and unexplained rate at which Autism has risen in the past ten years. It went from 1 in 3,000 children to 1 in 150 and even crazier, 1 in 94 boys! It can't just be a coincidence and it can't be passed off as only genetic. You have to look to a common thread. What that might be "ultimately" I don't know. I do know "now" that I should have been questioning a lot more things than I have. I very willingly had my son immunized and bought him boat loads of toys made in China! I don't know about anyone else but I am feeling overwhelmed by all this. I have a tremendous amount of faith in humanity and truly good people outnumbering the rotten apples, but I can't help but feel like the "all mighty dollar" has taken a strong hold on the people who run this country. The same people who are supposed to be looking out for our best interests. If it isn't the pharmaceutical lobbyists it's whoever else is waving around the most money (the tobacco industry,the NRA . . . . etc.). It shouldn't be that way. I don't want decisions concerning my son's health and welfare being made by corporate america! I am not political in the least, but I swear since I have become a mom I feel like I need to be.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicci

P.S. That felt good to get that off my chest - Thanks for listening!

Now correct me if I am wrong but I think if you join the military and you don't' have your immunizations that you are required to do so..... I know for some colleges that it is a requirement.... I know this first hand... ( It's a good thing they were up to date....) I have not personally heard anything linking MMR to autism ...... or anything of the like...... But that doesn't mean it's true or not ture..... in my IMHO......

mommyhugz1978 said:
I have not personally heard anything linking MMR to autism ...... or anything of the like...... But that doesn't mean it's true or not ture..... in my IMHO......

The MMR shot is the "main" shot the many parents believe took their child from them. A lot of parents believe its the thimerasol in the shots or b/c the shots are bundled. Alot of parents have asked their dr/s to seperate the shot and some peds will and others say they can't.

PampMomof3 said:
The MMR shot is the "main" shot the many parents believe took their child from them. A lot of parents believe its the thimerasol in the shots or b/c the shots are bundled. Alot of parents have asked their dr/s to seperate the shot and some peds will and others say they can't.

I had to get DD caught up on her shots......last month before school started here......Have no clue which ones they gave to her other than I do remember the chicken pox vaccination.....the first dose of it that she had almost two years ago was not a fun experience.....But she was fine this time......Now has anyone ever heard of the polio shot making their leg hurt for a few days afterwards?? They give her shots in her leg.......or thigh area.....it was a bit tender for her for a few days.....poor thing....

Actually, with the exception of some flu vaccines, none of the vaccines used in the U.S. to protect preschool children against 12 infectious diseases contain thimerosal as a preservative.

mommyhugz1978 said:
I had to get DD caught up on her shots......last month before school started here......Have no clue which ones they gave to her other than I do remember the chicken pox vaccination.....the first dose of it that she had almost two years ago was not a fun experience.....But she was fine this time......Now has anyone ever heard of the polio shot making their leg hurt for a few days afterwards?? They give her shots in her leg.......or thigh area.....it was a bit tender for her for a few days.....poor thing....
I think it hurts right in the spot because of the shot going into the muscle. So it's sort of bruised and will hurt just like a bruise would.

Marg said:
Actually, with the exception of some flu vaccines, none of the vaccines used in the U.S. to protect preschool children against 12 infectious diseases contain thimerosal as a preservative.

The DT (Diptheria/Tetnus) does still contain thimerosal.

JAE said:
I think it hurts right in the spot because of the shot going into the muscle. So it's sort of bruised and will hurt just like a bruise would.

She wasn't a happy camper that is for sure......... but it only bothered her for a couple of days.. though it doesn't help that she fales around and screams at the top of her lungs..... doesn't make it easier for mom...:cry: so I just send DH to the Doc to get the shots done...... I can't hold her down anymore....

My kids have had them all. The benefit of not having these diseases outways the possible risks. As a teacher, I have seen many families who did not believe in modern medicine and had not vaccinations. These children missed a lot of school and learning because of common colds.

Vaccines don't stop common colds.

Proven linkI got this today from my girlfriend whose 13 year old has Aspberger's

US Autism & Asperger Association, Inc.
Octover 1 , 2007

NEWS RELEASE:

For Immediate Release - October 1, 2007

Urine Testing Confirms Autism is Mercury Poisoning

WASHINGTON, DC – A new peer-reviewed scientific/medical case study confirms that many children with autistic spectrum disorders (ASDs) suffer from mercury poisoning. The new study, “A Prospective Study of Mercury Toxicity Biomarkers in Autistic Spectrum Disorders” by Mr. David A. Geier and Dr. Mark R. Geier has been published in the most recent issue of the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A (volume 70, issue 20, pgs 1723-1730).

This study utilized urinary porphyrin profile analysis (UPPA) to assess body-burden and physiological effects of mercury in children diagnosed with ASDs.

Using UPPA, Geier and Geier (2007) examined 71 children diagnosed with ASDs, neurotypical siblings, and general population controls. The researchers studied urinary porphyrin patterns using results reported both by the US Laboratory Corporation of America (LabCorp) and the French Laboratoire Philippe Auguste.

Their findings demonstrated that:
* Only the non-chelated patients diagnosed with ASDs had porphyrin patterns indicative of clinical mercury toxicity.
* Treating ASD diagnosed patients with chelating agents resulted in lower mercury-specific urinary porphyrins.
* The UPPA patterns reported were consistent between the two labs used.

The results of the present study confirm and extend previous observations by Nataf et al. (2006) and Geier and Geier (2006) on the use of UPPA profiling to establish the causal role for mercury in ASDs. Additionally, the current findings are consistent with those observed by many other physicians who treat patients diagnosed with both ASDs and mercury toxicity.

Thus, urinary porphyrin profile testing is being successfully used to:
* Demonstrate the role of mercury in ASD populations,
* Identify those children and adults who are mercury poisoned, and
* Track mercury excretion from affected children undergoing treatment.

For the past several years there has been a raging controversy as to whether or not mercury in medicines, especially in vaccines, has caused a dramatic rise in the rate of children diagnosed with an ASD. Many experts have insisted ASDs are caused by some yet-to-be-identified genetic cause. A paper recently published in Nature Genetics described the results of multi-million-dollar genetics study (which studied a thousand-plus families with at least two children diagnosed with an ASD using in-depth genetic screening). Tellingly, the authors reported, “None of our linkage results can be interpreted as 'statistically significant'…”(The Autism Genome Project Consortium 2007).

With the current study's results, public health officials should now publicly admit what they have been saying in their private transcripts and memos: Mercury from Thimerosal-containing vaccines and other medicines has been a major cause of ASD cases, which, based on recent CDC estimates (CDC 2007), may exceed a rate of one in 100 children.

Today, any parent, physician, or healthcare provider can easily confirm whether a non-chelated child with an ASD diagnosis is mercury poisoned by having UPPA testing run at either laboratory.

CoMeD's web site, CoMeD contains:
* Further information on how to order these tests,
* Full copies of the Nataf et al. (2006), Geier and Geier (2006), & Geier and Geier (2007), and
* Some of the many published papers validating the UPPA test.

CoMeD President [Rev. Lisa K. Sykes (Richmond, VA) 804-364-8426]
CoMeD Sci. Advisor [Dr. King (Lake Hiawatha, NJ) 973-997-1321]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here to read"A Prospective Study of Mercury Toxicity Biomarkers in Autistic Spectrum Disorders," David A. Geier, Institute of Chronic Illnesses, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA, Mark R. Geier, MD, PhD, Genetic Centers of America, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA

<h2>1. What are the recommended immunizations for children?</h2><p>The recommended immunizations for children include vaccines for diseases such as measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, polio, and hepatitis. The complete list of recommended immunizations can be found on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website.</p><h2>2. Are immunizations safe for children?</h2><p>Yes, immunizations are considered safe for children. Extensive research and testing is done before a vaccine is approved for use. The CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics both strongly recommend childhood immunizations as a safe and effective way to protect children from serious diseases.</p><h2>3. Why do some parents choose not to vaccinate their children?</h2><p>There can be a variety of reasons why some parents choose not to vaccinate their children. These reasons may include personal beliefs, religious reasons, concerns about side effects, or misinformation about the safety and effectiveness of vaccines. It is important for parents to discuss any concerns with a healthcare professional.</p><h2>4. Where can I find reliable information about childhood immunizations?</h2><p>The best place to find reliable information about childhood immunizations is from reputable sources such as the CDC, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and your child's healthcare provider. These sources provide evidence-based information about the safety and effectiveness of vaccines.</p><h2>5. Can my child still receive immunizations if they have a weakened immune system?</h2><p>In most cases, children with weakened immune systems can still receive immunizations. However, it is important to consult with your child's healthcare provider for individualized recommendations. In some cases, a modified vaccine schedule may be recommended to ensure your child's safety.</p>

1. What are the recommended immunizations for children?

The recommended immunizations for children include vaccines for diseases such as measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, polio, and hepatitis. The complete list of recommended immunizations can be found on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website.

2. Are immunizations safe for children?

Yes, immunizations are considered safe for children. Extensive research and testing is done before a vaccine is approved for use. The CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics both strongly recommend childhood immunizations as a safe and effective way to protect children from serious diseases.

3. Why do some parents choose not to vaccinate their children?

There can be a variety of reasons why some parents choose not to vaccinate their children. These reasons may include personal beliefs, religious reasons, concerns about side effects, or misinformation about the safety and effectiveness of vaccines. It is important for parents to discuss any concerns with a healthcare professional.

4. Where can I find reliable information about childhood immunizations?

The best place to find reliable information about childhood immunizations is from reputable sources such as the CDC, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and your child's healthcare provider. These sources provide evidence-based information about the safety and effectiveness of vaccines.

5. Can my child still receive immunizations if they have a weakened immune system?

In most cases, children with weakened immune systems can still receive immunizations. However, it is important to consult with your child's healthcare provider for individualized recommendations. In some cases, a modified vaccine schedule may be recommended to ensure your child's safety.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies
Views
jcsmilez
  • krzymomof4
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
etteluap70PC