• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I'm so Bad!! but It's My Calendar!

In summary, a customer cancelled on me less than a week before a show and wanted to change the date to another Saturday. I told her that I only schedule hosts that cancel less than a week before their show, and that Saturdays are the first to go. She got really quiet and rescheduled for a Sunday instead.
esavvymom
Staff member
I don't have alot on my October calendar- sort of on purpose..(family stuff)...but I had a couple cooking shows. This one host-to-be that I met at a booth, first rescheduled when I called to do my first coaching call...changed it by 1 week...not a problem- good for me actually! But then she said, can you "Pencil me in also for that Saturday, and I'll let you know which is better?" I was going to call/email her (her phone wasn't working) today to find out what she figured out....since I had another person wanting that date.

So I get an email from her tonight saying she needs to reschedule because now she has to go out of town and won't be back until the 11th, so she can't do it. (Show was set for the 14th, or MAYBE the 17th :grumpy:). Why she wouldn't be able to still do it was beyond me, but ok. Then she says and "I don't want to do it the week of the state Fair (15th-25th)" .... :confused::confused: What??!? Maybe she's in it somehow...(she didn't say that). So she said, let's just push it to the end of October sometime. "I'll call you".

Uh... Hold the phone. Never once did she ask me what dates I might have available. So guess what? Besides the fact that it IS inconvenient for me to do the show when SHE wants to....I'm telling her that "I'm sorry, but I'm booked up for the rest of October -( which , now that I look at my calendar, technically, I AM!) So we can do your show in November- here are my open dates still left." :D I'd rather do it in November for SAT anyway! But also to just push back a wee-bit that it's my calendar, too.

I know- some will disagree, but I'm not a consultant to just be walked all over. I have other customers/shows, and a life. I had one host do that to me, and then bail in the end leaving me high-and dry, having spent money. I'm not walking down the same road.

The thing is IT IS YOUR BUSINESS. You run it how you want! If you are booked for October, then she should have kept the original date. Put her in November, if that's what you want. And, I don't know why people think its such a big deal to host. Just be home, that's it. Oh, and if youant to clean up, fine.

There are times you have to create value for your service in the customer. It's really easy to think that because we do in-home demos, that we are desperate for those shows. I think you did the right thing!

Patty Davis said:
There are times you have to create value for your service in the customer. It's really easy to think that because we do in-home demos, that we are desperate for those shows. I think you did the right thing!

Yeah, what she said!

I told a customer that cancelled on me the last minute and wanted to change it to another Saturday that I don't schedule hosts that cancel less than a week before their show on Saturdays...Saturdays are the first to go and I hold those dates firm....she got really quiet and rescheduled for a Sunday instead. Just decided to take a little more control when they bail on me the day before and it's obvious they never got around to inviting anyone, despite my coaching calls and postcards. I agree with Patty. We need to create value for our service with our customer.

Ditto- I had a host one time that never returned any of my calls, emails. All numbers she had given me as a contact. (she was a minister and would have this phone with her at all times).We were a week out and still no answer to confirm and make last minute arrangements for this show 2 hours from my home. Two days before the show I left a message saying that I needed time to arrange childcare and if I didn't hear from her by xxx the night before, I would have to cancel and she could make it a catalog show. I get an email (not phone call), after 10 PM, saying "well of course I'm still having my show at 11 AM. I have all the food."

I emailed her back, that I would not be coming. I needed the courtesy of a return phone call, so I could plan, etc. I didn't feel bad. I have the choice of who I work with. In five years, I've only had 2 "flakes". I think those are pretty good odds.

I think it's funny that you posted this thinking people were going to tell you that YOU were wrong for taking control of your calendar - LOL You're doing the right thing!!I did a show in June for a lovely hostess - we've actually become friends. Anyway, one of her neighbors (we'll call her Tina) at that show wanted to book - but wanted an October date. I put her in pencil. Called & emailed her a few times over the months just to stay in contact - always left messages and never got replies to emails. When I had not gotten a reply from her by early September, I assumed she was no longer interested (I had left her several "Just calling to confirm our date" messages).So last week I am talking to the original host and she mentions that her friend is still planning to have her show. Well, original host (we'll call her Lisa) lays into her "You know Carolyn is running a business - this is how she feeds her family so if you flake out & don't return her calls do you think she's going to hold that date for you? No! She's going to offer it to someone else! blah blah blah..." So, Tina says she'll call me (that was last Thursday). I get an email from Tina today saying: "Hi Carolyn,Trying to get my team together. I may need to change my date from Otober 22 to October 23.
School night adn most people are having a problem with this."Oh yeah - no problem cause lemme tell ya - I was not only holding the 22nd for you but I was holding the 23rd as well - NOT.
Oh - and a note -- there is no school on the 23rd so the night of her show is NOT a school night.
So, I wrote back to her that the 23rd is not available and we'll need to talk on the phone to figure out a date that will work for both of us as my calendar fills up rather quickly this time of year. Wonder how long it'll be before I hear back from her this time??

Glad to know I'm not alone then! When I had decided I was going to "fake" a full calendar, it was because I didn't like her assumption of me being available whenever....but after I looked at my calendar for dates, I really AM full- I wish with cooking shows, but I've got a booth, a church-group demo, some things with my family, etc...so not many weekend dates between now and Thanksgiving anyway. i sent her 3 dates. We'll see. :)

I had someone on Sunday trying to "pick" their date. I clearly had times marked & was pointing the the ones that were available & she was trying to pick a weekend that was not an option. I politely told her that she had to work WITH me, that I chose a career which allows me to set my own schedule & she was trying to choose dates that I've set aside for family activities. She was very easily diverted to one of my available dates & didn't seem to mind that I had blocks of time reserved for family. :D I think sometimes they don't really realize that we have a schedule for a reason. ;)

AJPratt said:
The thing is IT IS YOUR BUSINESS. You run it how you want! If you are booked for October, then she should have kept the original date. Put her in November, if that's what you want. And, I don't know why people think its such a big deal to host. Just be home, that's it. Oh, and if you want to clean up, fine.

Anne, I don't want to hijack, so I'm going to go start a new thread to address this "issue" I had this last weekend. :eek:

Good for you.I have no problems whatsoever telling people that my calendar is full once it reaches my definition of full. I learned long ago that if I put a day of rest on my calendar I can honestly say I already have something on my calendar for that day.

the last hostess that asked me to change the date, decided to keep it. She wanted to reschedule for the following month. I told her I was booked for that month and the earliest I could reschedule her was almost 8 weeks out.. She was shocked that I was booked that far out, so she ended up keeping her date.

People respect you more if you know what you want/need. If you don't, it feels more like a hobby. I've had people request certain recipes (I tell them they are welcome to make them, but these are my options this month) or pick dates (I tell them what I have available). I don't think I've ever truly had a negative response. Sometimes they just need guidance. Good job sticking to what you wanted!!

These are all things I wish I had learned in my first year! I was ready to quit in December because I felt walked on! I'm glad I stayed with it and went to Nat'l Conf this summer! I have know realized what "making it my business" means to me and I definitely explained it to both of my recruits!

Like I've said before, Target is open only certain hours. If you don't want to shop during those hours, that's your choice, but that's when it's open....we have the same power!

I am so glad you took charge like that. Seriously.. I agree with a previous poster who said that some people assume that because our businesses are based in the home we must be desperate for business. I had a potential schedule a show last September. She works with one of my good friends. My friend forwarded an email she sent to everyone at work inviting them to a picnic at her house with volleyball, pig roast, etc. Oh, and a representative from Pampered Chef will be there. I called her and told her that I would not be there, and that she was welcome to do a catalog order but I have certain criteria for my shows and being available at her cookout was not something I was willing to take time away from my family for. She did end up doing a catalog show, surprisingly, and she is still a consistent customer.

beckyjsmith said:
I had a potential schedule a show last September. She works with one of my good friends. My friend forwarded an email she sent to everyone at work inviting them to a picnic at her house with volleyball, pig roast, etc. Oh, and a representative from Pampered Chef will be there.

Wow, that takes some nerve. Imagine how angry you would have been if you'd just shown up for her "little event".

chefjeanine said:
Wow, that takes some nerve. Imagine how angry you would have been if you'd just shown up for her "little event".

That's what I thought. Oh well.. it takes all kinds....lol.

1. How can I keep track of my busy schedule with "I'm so Bad!! but It's My Calendar!"?

With our "I'm so Bad!! but It's My Calendar!" product, you can easily manage your schedule by writing down important dates and events on the designated days. You can also use the included stickers to mark specific events or appointments.

2. Is "I'm so Bad!! but It's My Calendar!" suitable for both personal and professional use?

Yes, our "I'm so Bad!! but It's My Calendar!" is perfect for both personal and professional use. It has plenty of space to write down all your personal and work-related commitments.

3. Can I customize the layout of "I'm so Bad!! but It's My Calendar!" to fit my needs?

Yes, you can easily customize the layout of our "I'm so Bad!! but It's My Calendar!" to fit your needs. You can rearrange the pages, add in extra note pages, and even include your own personalized cover.

4. Does "I'm so Bad!! but It's My Calendar!" come with any helpful organization tips?

Yes, our "I'm so Bad!! but It's My Calendar!" comes with helpful organization tips on how to effectively use the calendar and stay on top of your schedule. It also includes a yearly overview page to help you plan ahead.

5. Can I purchase additional stickers for "I'm so Bad!! but It's My Calendar!"?

Yes, you can purchase additional stickers for our "I'm so Bad!! but It's My Calendar!" product. We offer a variety of sticker packs that you can use to mark important events, appointments, and tasks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
  • Nanisu
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
straitfan