• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I'm Sitting With Doris at the New Director's Breakfast!!

In summary, Janice received a call from Susie Lite at HO, informing her that she has been invited to sit at Doris' table at the New Director's Breakfast. Janice is extremely excited and mentions her Christmas wish has been answered. She also asks for people to say hi if they see her at Leadership as she has trouble recognizing faces. She shares that she will be wearing her "Chef Success" pin. When asked how she was picked, Janice replies that it is based on her success and that she will ask for more details. She mentions her achievements, including 10 recruits, $50,000 in sales, and speaking at a pre-conference workshop. Janice quit her job to focus on her business and works
jwpamp
OH MY GOSH!!!! I got a call from Susie Lite at HO a few days ago and she said that Doris invited me to sit at her table at the New Director's Breakfast!!

Well, Merry Christmas! What else could I ask for? My Christmas wish has been answered!!!!:D

Please, please, if you see me at Leadership, stop me and say "Hi"...I am so bad with faces, and everyone here is hard to see. I have curly hair these days (too much humidity!!). I usually put it up. And I will be wearing my "Chef Success" pin! See you all there!

So cool! Did they say how they pick those people?

I really don't know...I'll have to ask! I so wanted a picture with Doris at National back in July. I am so bringing my camera!

Wow Congratulations! Did they say how you were picked? Was it completely random or did you do someting spectacular? If so, what did you do so we can all copy you and sit with Doris when we become directors. Way to go!

Again, not sure...Susie did say that I had a terrific year (and boy it was good!).

My first SS month was Jan '06 -- I have 10 recruits (8 are qualified), $50,000 in sales, I earned Atlantis, and I am speaking at the Pre-confernece workshop given by some of the Exec Directors for our teams.

Sept, Oct, Nov were each over $6000 in sales, Dec was only $4100....I have worked REALLY hard this year. I quit my job in March to give it my all, and I work my business EVERY DAY! I am not sure how they pick, but I will make sure to ask so you can each have the opportunity to do it, too!

They are picked based on your success... I'm not sure exactly how they do it, but it is because you have done so well. They will take a picture of your table with Doris and Marla, then mail it to you after conf. It's pretty cool.

Way to go! Congrats!

Shana, Have you been at her table, too? I am so incredibly excited! I was in tears after the call...it is such an honor!

Congratulations!
Sounds like you really earned that honor - you deserve it!

jwpamp said:
Again, not sure...Susie did say that I had a terrific year (and boy it was good!).

My first SS month was Jan '06 -- I have 10 recruits (8 are qualified), $50,000 in sales, I earned Atlantis, and I am speaking at the Pre-confernece workshop given by some of the Exec Directors for our teams.

Sept, Oct, Nov were each over $6000 in sales, Dec was only $4100....I have worked REALLY hard this year. I quit my job in March to give it my all, and I work my business EVERY DAY! I am not sure how they pick, but I will make sure to ask so you can each have the opportunity to do it, too!

Wow, you did have a great year! Do you think you could share with us Cheffers how you are so successful? Maybe give us a mini-virtual-workshop?

Congrats!Hey Janice!

Congratulations! I'll see you at leadership! Guess I need to get my pin from Ann...:)

You guys realize that Janice is rarely on here! LOL! She is seldom on the message board. I remember just after she joined and posted her picture.

Way to go Janice!! Congratulations! Try to remember to eat your food!

CONGRATS Janice!!!

That is really awesome...I love my picture with Doris - I have it on my checkbook cover - everyone asks me if that is a picture of me and my mom...I politely say no...but what a lead into the business opportunity schpeel..

SMILE big...

CONGRATULATIONS JANICE!!:D You have worked very hard and you deserve it!! I haven't talked to you in a while, been busy myself (workin' that business) got your message on yahoo and left a reply!! HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!:)

Congrats Janice! Well Deserved!!! It truly shows that you do work your business ALL the time! :D

Way to go! Please take a ton of pics but don't look like the paparazzi!!!;)

Wow and Congratulations! You really did have an awesome year! We are all very proud of you. I second the mini-virtual workshop. What is your secret?!!!!

I wish I had been at her table! They walk around and take pictures with each table though, so I do have a group picture with her. I was going to call you a Lucky Duck, but I'm sure your success has little to do with luck!

Chef Kearns said:
You guys realize that Janice is rarely on here! LOL! She is seldom on the message board. I remember just after she joined and posted her picture.

Way to go Janice!! Congratulations! Try to remember to eat your food!

I am actually rarely on here....really! I check the boards now and then and then I'm off!

I try to share ideas when I can, and use some of yours, too...but the secret is the phone and the customer connections! You HAVE TO TALK TO THEM and work your business!

I LOVE this board -- there is SOOOOO much info here!! BUT you HAVE TO GET OFF OF IT AND WORK!

So take the ideas that are shared, mold them to your own and GET ON THE PHONE!!!

That's about it in a nutshell. The more you give, the more you get. Share the business with everyone and make 5-10 calls a day for your business. It is what you put into it!

I work my business just about 30 hours per week...shows, phone time, research and putting things together. I told my family that I would give it my all for a year, and if it didn't work, then at least I know I didn't do it half -way! Well, like I said, it is what you put into it!

I wish you ALL the best this next year, but PLEASE take advantage of the tele-classes, CDs (I own them ALL), conferences, meetings, etc. They are all meant to help you!!!

Last edited:
Wow Janice, you are truly an inspiration to us all:) Have a wonderful lunch!
I was so surprised at my first conference at career club lunch. We saw Doris talking with some other gals, & a friend of mine said that we should go take our picture with her. She was so genuine & kind to talk to us & my picture with her is a treasure to me:D

Great advice Janet! I am petrified of the phone. I feel like I am being a nag.
I wish I could quit working full time to put my all into this but I can't at this time. Congrats and make sure you post your picture with Doris!:)

Congrats, how awesome to get a call to sit with Doris. Enjoy your breakfast I sure will be thinking of you!!!

Congrats! It's so awesome to be rewarded like this for all of your hard work! :D

Janice!! That is SO cool! Congratulations!!! What a great reward on top of all of the other great accomplishments this year. Way to go!!!:D

The New Directors breakfast is awesome! We were invited to sit with Marla which is almost as good as Doris, but we were at a table right next to her. She eats with a fork just like everybody else!

That was the best part of conference to me because they make you feel sooooo special! Everyone from HO stands on either side of the entrance and cheers you on as you walk thru....makes you feel just like a STAR! And you are! Congrats on getting to sit with Doris - that is awesome!

I don't understand the 5-10 calls a day for your business... who are you calling and for what purpose? If I made 5-10 calls everday I'd be calling the same people and they'd quickly tire of me.

Call all of your past customers. Check in with them and see how they're liking their products. Tell them about upcoming specials....especially host specials! When there are BIG host specials (like January) do a search on PP for anyone who has bought cookware in the past, for example. Call them all to let them know about the awesome host specials. Same with stoneware for February. That should give anyone a good start at who to call. Make sure they're USING their products. AFter the holidays is a great time to call too because people get very frustrated in their kitchens with all the cooking if they do'nt have the right tools. Cookware could be a big one, so let them know you have a GREAT special on awesome cookware in January. Those are just SOME ideas. Of course, those are in addition to anyone who has ever expressed interest in hosting or the opportunity.

Do out of the box calls about a week after the guests from shows were to receive their orders to make sure they gave everything the once-over. you'd be surprised how many people don't open some of the packages/boxes!! And then they find out months later that something may have been damaged in shipping.

Those are just SOME ideas. :D Hope they help!

You've got it, Becky!!

I do calls to all of my customers, any new leads, my recruits get weekly or bi-weekly calls (depending on their goals and commitment), I get referrals from everyone, I call ALL of my past customers at some point - thanking them for attending the show, asking them if they have used their items, do they want a great new recipe??

If I run out of people, I go thru my list of 100. I rarely call on Saturdays or Sundays (too busy for me) so I do around 30 calls a week. I have done an average of 8 shows per month this year, each show has had an avg of 15- 20 guests, which means that I can pretty much do monthly cutomer care calls...sometimes just to say "Hi"....I love to leave messages on a machine if it works out that way (just to say "Hi" and if they need anything they can call me).

I have had several people say "no" to a show change their minds after I have given them some great little tips for their stoneware, or a new recipe.

Like I said, I really work my business and the phone is my friend!

Thanks that gives me a starting off point!

jwpamp said:
You've got it, Becky!!

I do calls to all of my customers, any new leads, my recruits get weekly or bi-weekly calls (depending on their goals and commitment), I get referrals from everyone, I call ALL of my past customers at some point - thanking them for attending the show, asking them if they have used their items, do they want a great new recipe??

If I run out of people, I go thru my list of 100. I rarely call on Saturdays or Sundays (too busy for me) so I do around 30 calls a week. I have done an average of 8 shows per month this year, each show has had an avg of 15- 20 guests, which means that I can pretty much do monthly cutomer care calls...sometimes just to say "Hi"....I love to leave messages on a machine if it works out that way (just to say "Hi" and if they need anything they can call me).

I have had several people say "no" to a show change their minds after I have given them some great little tips for their stoneware, or a new recipe.

Like I said, I really work my business and the phone is my friend!

After conference, I decided to do this. I call EVERY customer (busy months I also email instead of call some guests) about 3-6 weeks after they have their products to find out how they like them. I have noticed a big difference in the amount of shows I have. Not necessarily the people I call, but I think my attitude has made the difference. I really try to focus on customer care instead of just sales/bookings/recruits. I think I don't sound as desperate at shows & on the phone now & it shows! Hopefully this will keep up & I can sit with Doris or Marla at the New Director's Breakfast at Conference!

Great job, Janice!!

I got the call to sit with Marla at the Breakfast. Too cool! I submitted my first show in late February... have 19 on my team (16 personals, 11 qualified) and just earned Atlantis with room to spare.
Everything Janice has said about working her business is exactly what I do, too. I spend about 3-5 hours a day M-F on my business, and try to make the BEST use of time that I can. I am on the PHONE --- A LOT during those hours. I run it like a business, and it's been very rewarding! :D

Laura & Janice-

First, congrats on your success! You sure deserve to be at those tables!

A question--do either of you have young children that you stay home with? I really want to get on the phone more b/c I realize that's where the money is (getting bookings, customer care, etc.) & decided that I would contact every customer about their products. My Arbonne friend, who I'm having a show with in Jan, told me that she likes to call the guests ahead of time to find out if they have questions. Her point is that some people might not want to talk about skincare issues in front of others. I would LOVE to apply that to my business & find out what kind of cooking the guests do, if they have children, etc. My problem (& why I asked the above question) is that I have had one heck of a time finding time to call in the past few months, which is when my biz has gotten stronger--more shows, etc. I only have one daughter (22 months), but I also babysit my 3 year old nephew full time & my 14 month old nephew part time. The younger nephew's hours always change, so it's hard to set hours to work my biz during the day (kids don't always nap either--ugh!). The only days I have only my daughter are Thursday morning until 11 (when I go to pick up 3 year old from preschool) & now all day Fridays. My sister's schedule just changed, so the Friday thing is new (used to have him all day) & it may change back after Jan 12. So if you work your biz 3-5 hours a day, when do you do it? When do you make calls? I try to make biz hours on Sun, Mon & Wed evenings (7-9)& Thurs afternoons (1-3) when DH is home. Lately DD has wanted me to put her to bed, so I pause at 8 on Sun, Mon & Wed to do that. Any ideas on how I can get the most out of my time? I tried Belinda Ellsworth's power hour folders my director gave me, but it just didn't work for me. Maybe I need to get her cd so I understand it better. Thanks for your help!!!! I really want to build a team this year & have a lot of shows & I know the phone & working my biz is the way to do it, but I haven't been able to figure out the best use of my time with having kids here all day. I always feel like I'm playing catch up!

pamperedgirl3 said:
Laura & Janice-

First, congrats on your success! You sure deserve to be at those tables!

A question--do either of you have young children that you stay home with? I really want to get on the phone more b/c I realize that's where the money is (getting bookings, customer care, etc.) & decided that I would contact every customer about their products. ....I really want to build a team this year & have a lot of shows & I know the phone & working my biz is the way to do it, but I haven't been able to figure out the best use of my time with having kids here all day. I always feel like I'm playing catch up!

I am NOT the one to ask about doing the buisness with small children, mine are 25, 24 and 16. However, I have heard some great advice from my own Director to other moms with young children:

• Ask the moms that you are sitting for to take YOURchildren for an hour or 2 twice a week so YOU can do your business calls
  • Have a special box of toys that the child can play with ONLY when you are on the phone
  • Have hubby watch the kids or put them to bed twice a week! It's NOT babysitting, it is tending to THEIR OWN CHILD

I applaude people who do this business with children or another job, but where there is a will, there is a way! ;)

As far as talking to your hosts, I personally talk to them 3-4 times BEFORE the show, spaced over the weeks before the show. I make sure I know WHAT they want from the show, who they are asking, using the Host Info Form COMPLETELY!! You SHOULD know what the guests do and what they like (are they cooks, SAHMs, working outside the home, etc). I tailor each show to the crowd!

Stick with it and fix what isn't working....always adapting is the key!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks! I think I need to talk to the host more about her guests. I don't do that too much. I'm finally getting over a phone phobia (used to be REALLY bad--I wouldn't even call my husband's house when we were dating--I always made him call me), but when I first started the biz, I always felt like I was inconveniencing them when I called & so I tried to keep it short & to the point of recipe, benefits, etc. I need to slow down & get to know them!

I guess the phone time thing will just have to be a problem until my daughter & any others that come along the way are older. My husband is WONDERFUL & knows I need to work my biz & will watch her whenever I need him to. But when I hear a crying child calling my name b/c she wants me to put her to bed, I can't concentrate on what I'm doing anyway. She's only been doing this the last month or two (seemed to coincide with my business growing-hmmm), so hopefully it's something that will get better & I can use my evening business time more effectively.

The day time just isn't going to get better. I can't trade sitting to get more phone time. My sister works full time--she's just recently gotten Fridays off & used to work 8-5 Mon-Fri, so my DH was home when she was & he watches DD. The other nephew I watch only part time, but I have the one full-time, so I can't ask her to watch DD AND my nephew--it's my job. I guess I'll just have to realize I can't get much or any PC stuff done during the day. Maybe I should get Belinda Ellsworth's Power Hour cds to use the time I have more effectively while the kids are young.

What about during nap time? I have a 4 yo and a 2 yo and thats when I make my phone calls during the day. I also make calls at night when my hubby is home or if he is working I make them after I put the kids to bed.

My kids are in school M-F from 7:30-3:00...yes. But I am room mom for one, art 2 go teacher for the other, have gymnastics and sports to shuffle to, as well as normal "SAHM" duties like cooking, cleaning, errands, etc.
We all have our excuses. I could use a million different excuses as to why I dont have time to make phone calls - believe me, I've mentally tried them all LOL. I just really want my business to work for me, and so I'm finding time to make it happen.
My upline director has older kids now, but when she first started getting successful, she was a single mom with more than one child at home. Another Director in our cluster is a mother of 7 children most of whom are still at home. Another Director in our group has 2 kids under 6 at home and she finds time to make her business work. My mantra: If they can do it, so can I!

Congrats LadiesI got a call from Susie Lite asking me to sit at a reserved table at the Upper Level Director Dinner. She said she couldn't tell me which table yet, but to find her and I would be directed to my seat?!?!? I'm really excited to find out who it is with and what it is for.

Janice, who is your executive director? Diane Engle is my director and I am speaking at the pre-conference workshop as well. Just wondering if it is the same workshop. I am talking about "Relationships" with your team members.

Katie

PChefAbey said:
What about during nap time? I have a 4 yo and a 2 yo and thats when I make my phone calls during the day. I also make calls at night when my hubby is home or if he is working I make them after I put the kids to bed.

If I can make calls during the day, I do them during nap time. With having the younger one part time, he's often coming or going during nap time, so they aren't all three always asleep at the same time. But I try. No different than if I worked out of the home all day!

I guess I'm just going to have to stop trying to have a "perfect" time to call b/c there isn't going to be one. The hardest thing I've had to deal with in this biz is managing working at home with having young kids at home who don't understand why you need to be alone. I was a teacher before (& didn't have my daughter, either), so any phone calls, etc., were done at school in the lounge & work I took home got done when I wanted it to. Don't have that convenience at home! I just want to be professional & I hate when my customers can hear kids in the background--plus it's distracting to me. It's great in the summer b/c hubby can take my daughter outside. Perhaps you're right Laura, maybe I'm trying to make excuses for not calling! I guess customers will just have to realize that I work at home & so my family is going to be there! Also, maybe it was harder b/c we were getting ready for Christmas & the day seemed like it was over faster. This is only my 2nd year & I wasn't as busy last year so I didn't notice.

Ok-need to get a new mindset for the new year---make those calls when I can & stop waiting for the perfect time!!!!!! Thanks ladies for helping me see that I was just trying to find excuses for my not calling--I didn't realize I was doing that. But I just need to call!! :)

chefkatie said:
I got a call from Susie Lite asking me to sit at a reserved table at the Upper Level Director Dinner. She said she couldn't tell me which table yet, but to find her and I would be directed to my seat?!?!? I'm really excited to find out who it is with and what it is for.

Janice, who is your executive director? Diane Engle is my director and I am speaking at the pre-conference workshop as well. Just wondering if it is the same workshop. I am talking about "Relationships" with your team members.

Katie

Yep, that's the one Katie! I saw your name on the list, too! How exciting!!

My Exec Dir is Sherri Carr.

CongratsI am sure you have all figured out now that it is the TOP new director's who get to sit with Doris and Marla at NEW director's breakfast! There are only 2 reserved tables at the breakfast and boy does it feel great to sit at one! I sat with Marla last year! Congrats and enjoy your time with those amazing women!

It is always so fun to get to sit with Marla, Doris or your upline Director! I have sat with Chris Manion many times and always feel so priveledged to have a reserved seat! Amazing what a little thing like a reserved seat can do for us! Like they say...it's not the momento but the moment!

Cant wait to see all of you there!:D

That's awesome..CONGRATS!!! You must be psyched. Take pics...TONS OF THEM

For those of you who make calls during nap time- does anyone ever answer?? I try to make my calls during naps (1-4pm) but all I get is machines. My kids are in bed around 8:30, which seems too late to start calls and thinking of my DH attempting to put them down is laughable. I just always feel like I am "barging in" on their family time by calling in the evening.

I have 2 little guys, 2.5 yr and 1yr 4 months. I only make naptime calls if it is a hostess that I know will be home or a lead (I hate repeat calling so I try to avoid not getting ahold of someone). I then call in the evening anytime I get a window from 5-9. The way I organize it is I have a lead sheet with me all the time. Spare moments (they are few but they are there) I make a call. For customers I pick a show and carry around the file folder. I write notes on their home office receipt copy (I only submit via PP). Once everyone from that show is "checked up on" I file it away again. Sometimes it takes 2-3 day to call ALL the guest from a show, but it is the best way with "the boys". I make about 5-7 calls a day. With customers I think of answering machine calls as a mini-commercial (I just got that from Ilene Meckley). I also e-mail the anwering machine people (in case they have an issue and prefer to deal with it via email) and then log it to call back in 2 weeks. Saturday morning is also a great time around 9:00am because most everyone's home and my DH can be with the kids. Sat show crate & materials are packed and in the car Friday night.

Gillian
I sometimes feel the same way. But I have found that when I call and they are busy, or don't want to talk, they tell me. Othewise I just keep in mind that I am doing them a service, that they asked for so unless the vibe is different, me and my happy face will just keep talking.
I know sometimes I can talk myself out of calling because I think people might be eating or putting the kids down or whatever, but when I really am honest with myself I just know I am making excuses because I don't want to call that night.
Could be the same thing with you.

Janice,

You mentioned a show attendance average of 15-20 people. How do you achieve that? Your host coaching must be great!

Janice,

You mentioned a show attendance average of 15-20 people. How do you achieve that? Your host coaching must be great!

legacypc46 said:
Janice,

That is wonderful! Do you help your host make a list of at least 40, or have other coaching you say to get that high of attendance?

gilliandanielle said:
For those of you who make calls during nap time- does anyone ever answer?? I try to make my calls during naps (1-4pm) but all I get is machines. My kids are in bed around 8:30, which seems too late to start calls and thinking of my DH attempting to put them down is laughable. I just always feel like I am "barging in" on their family time by calling in the evening.

First of all--are your kids ASLEEP from 1-4???? How do you manage that!!!! I can hardly get my daughter to sleep an hour! She used to sleep 2 hours in the morning & 2-3 in the afternoon, but when she cut the morning nap the afternoon one went down to 1-2 hours (usually closer to 1).

I don't usually get answers during nap time unless I know the person stays home & also has young kids that nap at that time! My daughter goes to bed at 8 & has been wanting me to do it the past month, so I am either going to try to "disappear" at bedtime so daddy has to put her to bed (she's ok unless I'm there & then she wants me to do it), or make calls from 7:15-8 & then put her to bed & try to make calls until 8:30 if I can. If not, 45 minutes is better than nothing!

Koolotus said:
Gillian
I sometimes feel the same way. But I have found that when I call and they are busy, or don't want to talk, they tell me. Othewise I just keep in mind that I am doing them a service, that they asked for so unless the vibe is different, me and my happy face will just keep talking.
I know sometimes I can talk myself out of calling because I think people might be eating or putting the kids down or whatever, but when I really am honest with myself I just know I am making excuses because I don't want to call that night.
Could be the same thing with you.

I totally know that I am making excuses for not making calls at night. I just feel like that is family time. I am all fired up and excited to make calls during naps, but no one answers. if I leave messages no one calls me back...ever!

pamperedgirl3 said:
First of all--are your kids ASLEEP from 1-4???? How do you manage that!!!! I can hardly get my daughter to sleep an hour! She used to sleep 2 hours in the morning & 2-3 in the afternoon, but when she cut the morning nap the afternoon one went down to 1-2 hours (usually closer to 1).

I don't usually get answers during nap time unless I know the person stays home & also has young kids that nap at that time! My daughter goes to bed at 8 & has been wanting me to do it the past month, so I am either going to try to "disappear" at bedtime so daddy has to put her to bed (she's ok unless I'm there & then she wants me to do it), or make calls from 7:15-8 & then put her to bed & try to make calls until 8:30 if I can. If not, 45 minutes is better than nothing!

My kids are awesome sleepers. I think it has to do with me being so lazy, so they just kinda got used to it. They are 3 and 20 months. They go to bed between 8-9pm every night and wake up around 8-9 in the morning. We eat lunch between 12-1 and they take a nap after that. Both have their own child proofed, toy filled room, so I hear them playing sometimes. By the time they actually fall asleep and wake up, it is 4 pm!!

I am going to be screwed when the baby comes and I don't get a break anymore, LOL!!

Congratulations Janice!!

Enjoy every second of it!! I"m sure we will hear all about it when you come home!

Cheers

gilliandanielle said:
My kids are awesome sleepers. I think it has to do with me being so lazy, so they just kinda got used to it. They are 3 and 20 months. They go to bed between 8-9pm every night and wake up around 8-9 in the morning. We eat lunch between 12-1 and they take a nap after that. Both have their own child proofed, toy filled room, so I hear them playing sometimes. By the time they actually fall asleep and wake up, it is 4 pm!!

I am going to be screwed when the baby comes and I don't get a break anymore, LOL!!

Maybe when my daughter goes to a big girl bed I'll have better luck. My nephew is a huge sleeper--he goes down at one & I usually have to wake him when his dad gets here at 4. But my other nephew & my daughter only take about 1-2 hours each day. Well, better take what I can get.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebbieJ
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
woodysir
Replies
Views
pcgogetter
  • cakepampered
  • General Chat
Replies