• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Rethinking Chicago Conference: Is It Worth the Investment?

In summary, Linda is reconsidering whether or not to go to conference this year due to the recent cutbacks HO has made. She feels that it would be a waste of her money and that the training and presentations are not that great. She also doesn't feel that she will be able to benefit from any of the networking opportunities. Her team is all going, but she is worried about looking bad.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I'm seriously rethinking going to conference this year :(

I know, I know....crazy, huh?! I've been looking forward to it since last year!

I've stepped back my business the last few months (doing only a few shows a month...just enough to make my Director minimums) so I can do 'mommy' stuff and frankly, with all the cut-backs that H O has made, I don't think I'll be missing much by not going.

I was sitting here calculating expenses and it would probably cost me between $600 - $700 to be there and I'm just not so sure that's the best way for me to spend my money right now.

• I'm not walking for anything
  • I don't have any of my team going with me.
  • There is no official time scheduled to be with our execs or our extended teams. (My director is an NED, she lives close to me, and I see/talk with her all the time).
  • I like going to the training classes, but they aren't "that great"
  • HO has scaled back all the fun stuff, but the 3-day commitment is the same and doesn't really allow me to scale back or save (kinda pisses me off to be honest...they should pass the saving on...IMO).
  • I love seeing the presentations and the new products, but I can wait until it's posted or someone emails me :D (or until my director pack arrives :))

Anyone else feel this way?

pamperedlinda said:
I'm seriously rethinking going to conference this year :(

I know, I know....crazy, huh?! I've been looking forward to it since last year!

I've stepped back my business the last few months (doing only a few shows a month...just enough to make my Director minimums) so I can do 'mommy' stuff and frankly, with all the cut-backs that H O has made, I don't think I'll be missing much by not going.

I was sitting here calculating expenses and it would probably cost me between $600 - $700 to be there and I'm just not so sure that's the best way for me to spend my money right now.

• I'm not walking for anything
  • I don't have any of my team going with me.
  • There is no official time scheduled to be with our execs or our extended teams. (My director is an NED, she lives close to me, and I see/talk with her all the time).
  • I like going to the training classes, but they aren't "that great"
  • HO has scaled back all the fun stuff, but the 3-day commitment is the same and doesn't really allow me to scale back or save (kinda pisses me off to be honest...they should pass the saving on...IMO).
  • I love seeing the presentations and the new products, but I can wait until it's posted or someone emails me :D (or until my director pack arrives :))

Anyone else feel this way?

Linda,
I agree with everything you've said. I can certainly understand their need to scale back on things...but then why stretch it out to three days (which costs US more money in lodging) when they could condense it all into 2 days? With all of the regional things they are doing (Spring Launches, Director Expresses, etc), my business travel budget is all but used up. The only, and I mean ONLY reason I am going this year is because 7 of my team members are going and it would look AWFUL for me not to go.

But with fewer workshops (and so many seem to be HO led rather than led by top performers) and no real recognition (the waterfall of people walking for Excellence Awards was insulting last year) and no NED dinner, no Career Club luncheon and no Director Luncheon...eh, what's the point?

I am trying and trying to keep a positive outlook about NC for my team. I reached out to my NED for some sort of "here's the silver lining" pep talk...and got nuthin'. I get the feeling she's rather disappointed, too.

I reached out to my NED for some sort of "here's the silver lining" pep talk...and got nuthin'. I get the feeling she's rather disappointed, too.
I got the same reaction from mine... and when I asked her about no D lunch, she was really surprised that there isn't one. I'm kind of not wanting to go, but my mom is super excited to finally go as a Consultant and I don't want to crush that...

I totally understand all of that!! If I didn't live an hour from Chicago (although I do go down and stay at the hotel and don't commute back and forth for Conference), I would most likely not have been for the past 8 years. THIS year especially would have made me give this a lot of thought if I had to buy a $300+ plane ticket!!

Linda, I feel exactly the same. In fact I already told my husband that if no one new (who hasn't gone before) goes I'm not going. I have one downline that goes every year and so she knows a lot of people so I wouldn't feel too guilty - but then that's the only time I get to see her. I was still considering attending anyway but now learning that they're cutting even more out...

Maybe if they see a lot of us directors not attending they'll take the hint. They already sent out that survey asking if we were planning on going. I replied probably not.

finley1991 said:
I got the same reaction from mine... and when I asked her about no D lunch, she was really surprised that there isn't one. I'm kind of not wanting to go, but my mom is super excited to finally go as a Consultant and I don't want to crush that...

I asked my NED why there wasn't a Director Lunch and she is under the impression that there is. I told her it wasn't on the agenda, she is supposed to check into it.

Linda - thank you for posting this. I've been feeling much the same way. One of the best perks of promoting to director was all of the great things they had for directors at conference. When I read the agenda for this year, all of the things I looked forward to the most are gone. I'm not one who needs a lot of kudos, but I did look forward to the ones at conference. Career Club luncheon (and gift)- gone. Directors luncheon (and gift) - gone. Executive banquet (and gift) - gone.
Like you've already said - we have less going on, but the time commitment is the same. For me, it's not as much of a financial commitment as for others, since we're within driving distance, and we take the train into Chicago (so total travel cost will be about $50) but it's still 3 nights at a hotel ($150), the cost of conference (I earned half price - so $100), the cost of meals not covered by the conference, any extras, PLUS figuring out child care for the time that I'm gone. And all of this comes just as we are getting home from vacation.

I've struggled with going. I'm still struggling. I have 3, maybe 4, team members going, and 2 of them are my superstars. Do I go just for them? I really don't know. I'm torn.

Count me in on this one too :(. I also live close and earned free registration but I'm having a hard time getting excited about a pretty much "perkless" conference. Blah...

I told my husband last night that I was reconsidering. He was pretty shocked because he knows how much I look forward this every summer. When I broke it down for him, he understood.

I talked with one of my close director friends yesterday too and she told me she had been thinking the same way. She's not sure if she has any team members going either...and her husband is out of work right now.

I haven't told my Director (NED). I'm trying to decide if I should send her an email to fill her in or wait until Wednesday when she and I will be riding together to a luncheon - just not sure if another local director will be in the car with us that day. Or, we have our monthly team meeting on Tuesday, maybe I'll stay after and chat with her.

I'm not totally comfortable with my "almost decision" yet. I know it's financially smart for me right now, but I do love going to conference. I also feel like some may feel I'm throwing in the towel with my business - I'm not one of the outstanding consultants or directors in my cluster. Most of them are real go-getters and top performers. I don't compare myself to them. I never got into this business to be one of "them", I just wanted to be a stay-at-home-mom and bring in some income. Directorship kinda happened (twice! lol) and I do like the perks of it. I could really care less about the trips....don't get me wrong, now I'd love to earn the Gold level, but it's not gonna happen without me working my ass off to get it and right now, that is not a priority. A while ago, one of my director friends told me that I don't have to be at everything for my son, just to pick and choose some of the functions...umm, :eek: that's not why I chose direct sales...I love the fact that I can be at almost everything and he loves me being there.

sorry, guess I got off on a tirade here...thanks for letting me vent a bit.

and, thanks for letting me know that I am not alone in my thoughts about not going to conference.

I'm hoping Toronto will get me excited about conference. Honestly, the last few years I've gone for the single reason of seeing my friends. The perks are gone and no more gifts so what's the point? I don't mean to sound shallow about the perks and gifts but that is part of what I looked forward to. Plus, the last few years there has been some drama with my consultants who went and I don't feel like dealing with it. But since I have PMS, I'm not going to make a decision about this until I feel better!!!!! LOL!

I am with you on the drama part Colleen. I had a large group go last year and it was a nightmare. One person in particular was rude, disrespectful and talking negatively about me to others etc. I have 1 person going this year and I actually want to keep it that way. I only want to share a room with 1 person and want to be able to enjoy my time at conference rather than mothering a team

Okay - I will be the odd ball here!

I am super excited for National Conference. Even though things have changed from past conferences, it is still an amazing opportunity to spend a few days in just the Pampered Chef mindset and get recharged! I love seeing the top performers, and asking about their stories...

I will have a director walking, and am very excited for her. Hoping to possibly have a 2nd line director walking by then also. However I just can't wait to get as many of our team to Chicago as possible, I remember my first conference and how that was when I actually realized what I was doing!

I think that no matter what the company offers us for conference activities, it will be what we make it. I love watching first time conference attendees get caught up in the magic, and having a little "mommy-cation". Your excitement will carry over to your team, anyone who has met me will attest, that I am usually the most ridiculously over- excited person in the room!

I can't wait to see you all there! We are staying at the Embassy Suites Downtown/Lakefront!

almondfarm said:
Okay - I will be the odd ball here!

I am super excited for National Conference. Even though things have changed from past conferences, it is still an amazing opportunity to spend a few days in just the Pampered Chef mindset and get recharged! I love seeing the top performers, and asking about their stories...

I will have a director walking, and am very excited for her. Hoping to possibly have a 2nd line director walking by then also. However I just can't wait to get as many of our team to Chicago as possible, I remember my first conference and how that was when I actually realized what I was doing!

I think that no matter what the company offers us for conference activities, it will be what we make it. I love watching first time conference attendees get caught up in the magic, and having a little "mommy-cation". Your excitement will carry over to your team, anyone who has met me will attest, that I am usually the most ridiculously over- excited person in the room!

I can't wait to see you all there! We are staying at the Embassy Suites Downtown/Lakefront!

Although I feel the same way (Linda...have you been reading my mind??) you are not an oddball to be excited for conference. If I had a new director walking, I would be excited too! None of us are walking, however, my 2nd line director now lives out of state and her several of her team members are attending for the first time. Also, one of my 1st line directors has a first timer attending. So for those reasons, I attend. I will see how this one goes but if they cut much more, it will not be worth the money for me to keep going.

I wish my personal team was more jazzed up but I must say, that I have not been a good director so I am to expect no less.

Ladies, I am so glad that you are expressing your feelings because honestly, although I am enjoying the higher title and pay as and AD, I felt as if Directorship was downgraded a few years ago and now it is very clear that it is no longer the milestone position that it used to be.

LInda, I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm considering not going as well. My MIL booked a huge cabin in Gatlinberg from July 2-9 or something. Conference was originally supposed to be the following week. Plus my DH doesn't have a whole lot of vacation days, so......And last year they promised all these giveaways at conference and dangled the carrots in front of us and I was pretty let down by what we were given.

Ruthie -- you need to hang with me and Janis -- we will make sure you have fun! It's more about the networking for me, and getting my team excited. Other than that, the 'exciting' part is not there anymore...they have done away with the Exec Dinners, there are (as of now) none of my team walking, etc. And I didn't earn 1/2 price or Free Conference, so I am paying for this bundle of fun.I am feeling a little less than excited right now....but don't you dare tell my team!

This will be my first year to attend, so I won't know what I'm missing! LOLI didn't get to walk as D last year, I'm definitely going to be there to walk as an AD this year. I'll be easy to spot. I'll probably find Lynette & sit behind her! ;)

Sheila said:
This will be my first year to attend, so I won't know what I'm missing! LOL

I didn't get to walk as D last year, I'm definitely going to be there to walk as an AD this year. I'll be easy to spot. I'll probably find Lynette & sit behind her! ;)

You can even room with us if you want :)!!!

LOL Yolanda & some of her girls are going and there are several in my downline going this year. But thanks!!! :D

I have decided that I will not be going. :( It will be the first time I have missed any PC conference in my 6 year career. I attended my first conference in 2005 BEFORE I HAD EVEN DONE A COOKING SHOW! I've been to every Leadership (that I was eligible for) and Spring Launch. Like Linda, my biz has been slow this year due to some personal and family issues and I just don't have the income to support spending the money on registration and taking the time away from my family. The irony, of course, is that I live here in Chicago and don't even need to get a hotel room so I don't have that expense. But I didn't earn any money off conference and even scraping up the $200 would be a challenge right now.One of the biggest issues is the dates. My MIL and her sister have booked an 11 room cabin in Gatlinburg, TN for that same week. http://www.jacksonmountainhomes.com/rental/house.html?ID=179&User=alpha and ALL of my DH's cousins will be gathering there. This will be the first time they are all together in one place, so we feel we can't miss it.Originally, conference was listed as being the following weekend, so MIL booked the cabin accordingly. We are committed to going to TN and I don't want to have to cut it short to drive back to IL to attend conference and leave DH with the kids. I am so bummed, but I think this is best for me and my family.

We'll miss ya, Deb -- but I don't blame you one bit! You have a fabulous time with your family!!! {{Hugs}}

I agree Deb - you're making the best choice for your family and in light of how this year's conference is looking...I don't think your business will take a hit from your missing NC. We'll miss you though!!!

The closer it gets the more I am thinking that I won't be going either. We are taking a big trip in June (25th Anniversary Tahiti Cruise we've been planning for years). Between the expenses of that and the overwhelming medical bills from surgeries and hospitalizations since the first of the year I'm having trouble justifying the expense and time commitment of conference.

I earned half off but even with that there's the travel, hotel, etc. It would be be first one I've missed since I started 9 years ago. It's a hard decision.

Well, I changed my mind and I'm going to go after all! I got a great deal on airfare, forgot about the PC$ I had, and I earned $100 off conference so it's not going to cost me that much. My husband is working that week and my son will be camping with my FIL and SIL so all I have to do is find someone to take care of my fur-kids.

Looking forward to seeing y'all!

WooHoo! Glad you decided to go! :D

1. What is the "I'm Rethinking Chicago..." campaign all about?

The "I'm Rethinking Chicago..." campaign is a movement started by Pampered Chef to bring awareness to the issues facing the city of Chicago and to inspire individuals to take action and make a positive impact in their communities.

2. How can I get involved in the "I'm Rethinking Chicago..." campaign?

There are many ways to get involved in the "I'm Rethinking Chicago..." campaign. You can join our volunteer events, donate to our partner organizations, or simply spread the word and share our message on social media.

3. Who are the partner organizations of the "I'm Rethinking Chicago..." campaign?

Our partner organizations include local non-profits and community groups that are actively working towards improving the city of Chicago. Some of our partners include The Greater Chicago Food Depository, The Chicago Community Trust, and Mercy Home for Boys & Girls.

4. What kind of impact has the "I'm Rethinking Chicago..." campaign had so far?

Since the launch of the campaign, we have seen a tremendous response from individuals and organizations in Chicago. We have raised awareness for important issues, organized volunteer events, and donated funds to our partner organizations to support their work in the community.

5. Can I still participate in the "I'm Rethinking Chicago..." campaign if I don't live in Chicago?

Absolutely! While the focus of the campaign is on Chicago, we welcome anyone who wants to join us in making a positive impact in their own communities. You can still participate by donating to our partner organizations or spreading our message to your own networks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jcsmilez
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • vanscootin
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
ChefChris
  • Malinda Klein