• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I'm Not Feeling Very Smart...

Deluxe Cheese Grater for harder cheeses, like Parmesan and hard cheeses in general. The Deluxe Cheese Grater is not supposed to work with cheddar. The cheese knife is supposed to work with cheddar.
Pampered Zoe
Could someone please explain how the cheese knife is supposed to work? I get the idea that you are supposed to be able to slice normally or use like a cheese plane, but I have had ZERO success with it so far. I have to push down on the top of the knife to get it to go through cheddar-- that hurts! Why would I want a knife that hurts? Am I just using it wrong?

Also, the Deluxe Cheese Grater... Does anyone have a problem with the cheese gumming up the grater? I think it would work for very hard cheeses like parmesan, but using it on cheddar gets to be pretty difficult. My hand gets tired from squeezing the handle so hard, but if I don't then the cylander rolls around without grating anything. Then, once I get some cheese grated, it all gums up inside the barrel of the cylander and is EXTREMELY difficult to clean.

I am having a hard time feeling very good about reccomending these products-- how do they work for all of you?

PS Sorry about my awful spelling. It's very late! ;)

I don't have the cheese knife so I can't help you with that. As for the grater, I like to put the cheese in the freezer for 10 minutes or so then it grates much easier.

As for cleaning, rinse first in cold water, not hot. The hot water heats up the metal which just melts the cheese back on.

I had the same problem with the cheese grater and vowed I would never use again at any shows. I told my director this and she said to put the cheese (cheddar) in the micro for 10. It worked magic. It draws the oils to the surface and works perfectly. However, I still do not use it at shows (for cheddar) because I think to tell your customers they have to mic their cheese first before using product is silly. I do reccommend it for hard cheese though and for nuts. I have used it for the Almond Angel food cake several times.

ThanksI was a little irritated last night because I had had so little success with dinner. I finally ended up using the US&G to grate cheese and didn't have any more problems. I did have another dish to clean, though! ;)

It does seem a little weird to microwave your cheese... but whatever works, huh?

Thanks again! :D

The Microwave works!!Yes the microwave does work for your deluxe cheese grater! What happens is the heat releases the natural oils that oil the barrel. Just remember 5-10 seconds is all you want, or you'll end up with a puddle of cheese! Speaking from experience! :rolleyes:

Also remember the softer the cheese the lighter the squeeze! So when you said my hands got tired....this means you are doing it wrong. This will overfill the barrel with cheese and cause the cheese to stick to the barrel. The cheese grater is self-feeding for soft cheeses!

Which cheese knife are you referring to? The stainless cheese knife or the cheese knife?

Smiles,

Marlene Bauman
Independent Sales Director
www.pamperedchef.biz/marleneskitchen

I used the Deluxe Cheese Grater at my very first show. I had used it for Parmesan but whenever I used yellow cheeses, it gummed up. I was certain my DCG was devil possessed! :eek: Several friends told me to just make sure the cheese was REALLY cold and it would work fine.

When I get to my hosts home he has the cheese sitting out on the counter. It's now at room temp. So I stick it in the freezer. Came time to do the demo, the cheese was so cold it would not grate. :eek: I was mortified!!! The guests (most of them friends) were giving me that oh poor you look! I calmly looked up to the guests and said, well I guess I won't be selling any of these tonight. They chuckled. I got out my USG and said this is how I shred my cheese at home and is my favorite PC item. Sold 3 USG that night. My second show the host bought already shredded cheese! We made a joke of how the chicken braid was now filled with fiber (from the cellulose). The third show the DCG gummed up on me, so I again got out my USG and have been using it every since at shows. I only use the DCG for Pamesan, nuts, chocolate, carrots. My USG is #5 on my Top Sell list.

Since reading the tip about nuking the cheese, I did try it, and it worked for me!!! I still only use my USG at shows and home but if I need to use it I can. :D

Lee Anne

fruit76loop said:
Also remember the softer the cheese the lighter the squeeze! So when you said my hands got tired....this means you are doing it wrong. This will overfill the barrel with cheese and cause the cheese to stick to the barrel. The cheese grater is self-feeding for soft cheeses!

Which cheese knife are you referring to? The stainless cheese knife or the cheese knife?

[/url]

I know it isn;t supposed to hurt, but if I don't squeeze, the barrel just slips around without grating anything. I'll try the micro thing, but will probably use the US&G to grate at shows....

I'm using the regular cheese knife, not the entertaining cheese knife. I really want to be able to slice cheese easily, and have yet to find the perfect tool- other than at the deli! ;)

Grating ChocolateTip-Don't try to grate "large" choc chips in th DCG!!! I was oh so embarassed last night at a show when attempting to grate these large chips and nothing came out!!! Thankfully the hostess had purchased regular white choc chips as well, and those grated beautifully. PHEW

Last edited:
Grating ChocolateHi, I'm new! Signed up for PC 10-13-05 . . .haven't had a show yet. I practiced making the Chocolate Banana Phyllo Bundles a few days ago and the same thing happened to me using chocolate morsels. They sort of melted in the DCG (they were at room temp) and became one huge block. Apparently this has happened before . . . should I refrigerate the chocolate beforehand? When I first started grating the chocolate I used the fine barrel. Then I switched to the coarse barrel. It was better, but still the chocolate was clumped inside.

Any suggestions!

I put the chocolate chips in a bowl in the refrigerator while I'm setting up for the show. Then I do the demo up until the point that I need the chocolate. I either get the chip from the refrigerator myself or ask the host to do it. They grate fine for me whenever I do this.

I have the same problem with the DCG gumming up at shows. I just beat the crud out of it every several turns so it doesn't get clogged up too bad. I have tried the US&G for cheddar, but I can't get it to work. My cheese just fumbles all the way down the grate. I have tried big chunks and little chunks to no avail. As for the chocolate chip, I used the microplane grater. I just filled the cup with chips and as long as you don't go past the grate they stay in there and it is a good way to show off the new products.

I absolutely hate using the US&G for cheese. I can't get it to work right with the safe guard so I end up grating with my hands. Of course once I get to a certain point I can't do it with my hands. Does anyone have any tips for grating with the US&G?

I usually tell guests that they DEFINITELY need to use the food holder with the three slicing blades, but the grater blade is least dangerous, that is why the USG comes with that blade on the outside, and that blade is the one that stores on the outside. So when they grate cheese, or carrots, etc with the grater blade, they don't have to use the holder, but still be careful toward the end of grating!

I have also heard to spray your DCG barrel or any cheese grater, with oil, (Kitchen Spritzer,) to make grating cheese easier .

HTH!
nicole

Pampered Zoe said:
Could someone please explain how the cheese knife is supposed to work? I get the idea that you are supposed to be able to slice normally or use like a cheese plane, but I have had ZERO success with it so far. I have to push down on the top of the knife to get it to go through cheddar-- that hurts! Why would I want a knife that hurts? Am I just using it wrong?

Just wondering if you've found an answer to you question? I just had a customer ask me how to use it, she said it's wierd?? :confused:
Kelly

1. What are some tips for improving intelligence and feeling smarter?

There are several things you can do to improve your intelligence and feel smarter. First, engage in activities that challenge your brain, such as puzzles, reading, or learning a new skill. Also, make sure to get enough sleep and exercise regularly, as both can improve cognitive function. Additionally, maintain a healthy diet and stay hydrated for optimal brain function. Finally, surround yourself with intellectually stimulating people and engage in meaningful conversations.

2. Can certain foods or supplements boost intelligence?

While there are no magic foods or supplements that can instantly boost intelligence, maintaining a healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins can support brain function and cognitive abilities. Some supplements, such as omega-3 fatty acids and B vitamins, may also have a positive impact on brain health.

3. How can I improve my memory and retention of information?

To improve memory and retention of information, try using mnemonic devices or memory techniques, such as visualization or association. Also, make sure to pay attention and focus when learning new information, and practice active recall by testing yourself on what you have learned. Additionally, try breaking up information into smaller chunks and spacing out your studying or learning over a period of time.

4. Are there any brain exercises I can do to increase intelligence?

Yes, there are various brain exercises and activities you can do to increase intelligence. These include solving puzzles, playing strategy games, learning a new language, or practicing mindfulness and meditation. Additionally, engaging in activities that promote creativity, such as painting or writing, can also help boost intelligence.

5. Can intelligence be inherited or is it solely based on environment and upbringing?

There is evidence that intelligence is influenced by both genetics and environmental factors. While certain genetic traits may contribute to intelligence, a person's upbringing, education, and life experiences can also play a significant role in their level of intelligence. Ultimately, it is likely a combination of both nature and nurture that determines a person's intelligence.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jjaastef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefjeanine
  • Windy City Pampered Chef