• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

ifYou Know the Chicago Area, I Need Your Help.

In summary, Diane and I are both planning to go to Chicago this year. We're looking for ideas on things to do, and have been referred to Old Town Chicago, The Art Institute of Chicago, and Long Grove.
raebates
Staff member
One of my best buddies and I do a little getaway every year in late October. We're planning to go to Chicago this year. It's just a little overnight trip. We'll arrive on a Thursday, so it won't involve the weekend (in case that's pertinent).

We're looking for ideas. We really enjoy browsing through little shops. We generally start our serious Christmas shopping during this trip. Past trips have taken us to Frankenmuth, MI, and Nashville (Brown County), IN. We aren't looking for the types of places you find on Navy Pier or at a mall.

So, any ideas? We're counting on you. I've told her how wonderful you all are. Now help me prove it. It doesn't have to be right in Chicago, just in the general area.

TIA!

It is not in chicago but alittle drive it is called Long Grove, Il lots of fun little shops. ANd of course navy pier, Michigan Ave. just depends on what you are looking for. I am about 30 min s of chi.

I was just about to suggest Long Grove. While you're at it, a short side trip to Richmond might be in order. Richmond has more antique shops than anywere I've been. And if it's this weekend, and you're going to Richmond, if you go a little further to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, you'll see hundreds and hundreds of antique and special interest cars at the annual http://www.classiccarrally.org/ for Childhood Cancer.Okay, none of those are Chicago but you'll talk about any one of these three places for years. (PS - I went to my first Poker Rally in 1984 and have not missed one since. Of course, for the first 15 years I went for the cars. Now I go to raise money for cancer research AND the cars!)

Thanks. Long Grove sounds interesting. I like antiques, but my buddy isn't really into them. I'll remember Richmond for the next time The Furry Guy and I are looking for a getaway. He's been collecting antiques since he was in high school.

Not sure how far Galena is from Chicago but I LOVE that town :)
Also, the Gruene?? I think thats the name outlet mall (again not sure distance just places we've gone when we go to Chicago for conference as a family)

Hmm, those sound interesting. Keep the ideas coming!

Try "Old Town" Chicago. Unique gift clothing decor shops & restaraunts etc... They have a website
http://www.oldtownchicago.org/shopping.htm

Looks cool. Thanks.Keep those ideas coming!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. :love: We're heading out tomorrow morning. We'll be checking out Old Town Chicago on Thursday, The Art Institute of Chicago Thursday evening (free admission on Thursday evenings!), and Long Grove on Friday.

Got a room at the Radisson Hotel in Northbrook for only $44! (That's $56.49 with all the taxes and fees, of course. :grumpy: ) I love priceline.com! Since we'll be spending less than $30 each on the hotel room, we'll have more moolah for shopping. :D

That means that after tomorrow morning I'll be absent from here for a few days. Play nice while I'm gone. :p

Galena is pretty far from Chicago. Geneva (which is about an hour west of Chicago without a ton of traffic- the train comes STRAIGHT here from Chicago, though) is awesome! Tons of cute little shops. Lots of great restaurants and a beautiful river that runs right through town with great walking trails. There are antique shops and lots of just cute "stuff" shops. It's actually a nationally known little shopping mecca for those who are into that. This is where I live and while I'm not one of those big shoppers, people DO come from all over to shop here. Just incase you're looking for one more thing to add to your trip. The greatest part is it's easily accessible by train right from downtown Chicago. Have a great time!!! If I wasn't going to be busy auditioning for Wheel of Fortune this weekend:blushing: , I'd offer to show you around Geneva!!!

Hey Rae,

I'll be in Chicago tomorrow, too. I'll be at Navy Pier most of the day. Each year my sister, mom, aunt, and my kids take the mega-bus down. Have fun shopping!!

Diane

P.S. You'll love Long Grove. I went there in August - lots of neat stores!

Thanks, Diane. I'll think about you having fun with your family while I'm having fun with my Pig Butt Buddy.Becky, I'll tell my friend about that. We may decide to hit Galena next time we head that direction.

Also check out Evanston. It accesible by L (Red Line) and has lots of little shops on Chicago Ave and Dempster Ave and Main St. Also some of the best restaurants in the area!

I'll talk it over with her.

raebates said:
Becky, I'll tell my friend about that. We may decide to hit Galena next time we head that direction.
GENEVA is the one that's about an hour from Chicago with all the cute shops and awesome restaurants. Geneva is accessible by train from Chicago. Galena is probably about 3 hours from Chicago although does have some antique shops. Just wanted to make sure you didn't get sent to the wrong place.:) :) :)

Thanks! Our schedule is about as full as we want it this trip. I'll keep these ideas for next time, though.

I talked with her this evening. I think we're going to the Rainforest Restaurant. on Thursday.

Well, have fun but don't monkey around in there.

Gotta go to Bubba Gumps for coconut shrimp. I know it's not shopping, but a favorite of mine. (Navy Pier)

We aren't planning to go to Navy Pier this time, but I'll keep that in mind.

Be alert in the Rainforest Cafe - it's a jungle in there.

But Rae is a nice person. Why would she want to become a lert?

That's a very good question, Ann. I've always been suspicious of people who make that suggestion. After all, becoming a lert would be a big change for me.

Maybe we need to start younger and tell the kids to be alert.America needs more lerts.

Two words:

Cheesecake

Factory.

One of the most depressing days of my life was when my sister was no longer stationed in a state that had one. Their salads are amazing.

OK, the cheesecake isn't bad either.

We're headed down for a girls trip Thanksgiving weekend to see Wicked. Amazing show. Topped off with a nice banana cream cheesecake. Nothing better.

Saw Wicked last year on Halloween night. Great show!
Elphaba_and_Phantom.jpg

Jean DeVries said:
Two words:

Cheesecake

Factory.

One of the most depressing days of my life was when my sister was no longer stationed in a state that had one. Their salads are amazing.

OK, the cheesecake isn't bad either.

We're headed down for a girls trip Thanksgiving weekend to see Wicked. Amazing show. Topped off with a nice banana cream cheesecake. Nothing better.

We're HUGE fans of The Cheesecake Factory. We're often in the Indianapolis area, and that's our favorite place to eat. This trip we're trying new things. However, in a pinch, I imagine we would make do with TCF. :rolleyes:

TCF is a cluster tradition for us. Every year at conference we walk from the Hilton to TCF, have lunch, do a little window shopping on Michigan Ave, go back to TCF and get cheesecake to go, then walk back to the Hilton. We consider the walk a preemptive working-off of the dessert.There's a new mall that just opened up in the northern suburbs of Detroit, and it includes a TCF. Woo-hoo!

Thanks so much, everyone! We had a blast!!The Rainforest Cafe was great. If you have kids who aren't freaked out by thunderstorms (they happen regularly inside the cafe), it's definitely a kid-friendly place.We spend Thursday evening at the Art Institute of Chicago. Thursday nights from 5 to 8 are free. Long Grove was wonderful. We loved all the little shops. Thanks for suggesting it. We ate lunch at one of the cafes. We even had time to stop at Woodfield Mall for a couple of hours, which meant that we ate dinner at The Cheesecake Factory. Yum!All in all, it was a great trip. I got a bit of Christmas shopping done. I got a few things for myself. I arrived back home exhausted. Nirvana!

I always thought the Rainforest Cafe & The Cheesesake Factory were all over the US !!
I guess we're spoliled here in little MA ! I can think of 3 Cheesecake Factory's within 20-30 minutes from me and 2 Rainforest's

I live in the middle of nowhere. I'm half an hour from even an Applebee's. For a Cheesecake Factory I have to drive about an hour and 45 minutes.

AWWWW!! Well I'm happy you got your fix then!! :)

Actually, I'm also diabetic. That means that I rarely get cheesecake at The Cheesecake Factory. This time I ordered a pumpkin cheesecake in a to-go box. I ate two bites, then took the rest home to The Furry Guy.

chefann said:
There's a new mall that just opened up in the northern suburbs of Detroit, and it includes a TCF. Woo-hoo!

OMG!! Where?

You may have just saved my sanity.

raebates said:
I live in the middle of nowhere. I'm half an hour from even an Applebee's. For a Cheesecake Factory I have to drive about an hour and 45 minutes.
Yeah, but you live close to the only
IM002653.jpg

in the world.

Jean DeVries said:

OMG!! Where?

I think she was a few posts too late.

Jean DeVries said:

OMG!! Where?

It's called The Mall at Partridge Creek, and it's NE side of Detroit - Clinton or Macomb Twp. It's on M59 east of Garfield.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Yeah, but you live close to the only
IM002653.jpg

in the world.

You are correct, sir.

1. What are some unique shopping destinations in the Chicago area?

Some unique shopping destinations in the Chicago area include Andersonville, a diverse neighborhood known for its independent shops and boutiques; Lincoln Square, a charming area with a mix of local and international shops; and Wicker Park, a hip neighborhood with vintage and artisanal shops.

2. Are there any markets or fairs we should check out during our trip?

Yes, there are several markets and fairs worth checking out in the Chicago area. The Randolph Street Market in the West Loop features antiques, vintage, and handmade goods; the Christkindlmarket in Daley Plaza offers traditional German crafts and treats; and the One of a Kind Show at the Merchandise Mart showcases unique and handmade items from over 600 artists.

3. Do you have any recommendations for shopping in a smaller, more quaint setting?

If you're looking for a smaller and more quaint shopping experience, consider visiting Galena, a historic town about three hours from Chicago known for its charming Main Street lined with boutique shops and galleries. Long Grove is another option, with its cobblestone streets and specialty shops offering everything from artisanal chocolate to handmade candles.

4. Any suggestions for places to shop for unique holiday gifts?

For unique holiday gifts, you might want to check out the Chicago Architecture Foundation Store, which offers one-of-a-kind items inspired by the city's architecture; Unabridged Bookstore, a beloved independent bookstore with a great selection of books and gifts; and Foursided, a gift shop known for its eclectic and quirky items.

5. Are there any shopping events or sales happening during our trip?

Yes, there are a few shopping events and sales happening during late October in the Chicago area. The Lincoln Square Ravenswood Fall Art Walk features over 50 artists and special deals at local businesses; the Fashion Outlets of Chicago in Rosemont offers discounts at designer brands; and the Magnificent Mile Shopping Festival has various events and promotions at stores along Michigan Avenue.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
  • janezapchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
littlemaisyPC
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies