• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ideas on Keeping Going After Surgery?

In summary, a rotator cuff tear will require surgery, and after six weeks of a sling, there will be three months of no lifting.
pjpamchef
Silver Member
I have torn my rotator cuff and will be having surgery next week. Dr says arm in a sling for 6 weeks, no lifting. Then 3 months of no lifting more than 20lbs. Says realistically 6 month recovery!!! Anyone else been thru this type of surgery??

Is there anyway you can hire a "Chef's helper"? maybe a teenager or such that can help you for your shows - or your spouse maybe for pick up and drop off?

I had surgery on Nov 9th for a hernia and managed to still do a bunch of shows between Nov and Dec. Hubby loaded my car up and once my son came with me to a craft fair and helped me as well. Let your hosts know up front your limitations and have her or her hubby or teenager help you. I asked my hosts beforehand and they were all very helpful!!!

I was out of service for 8 weeks due to pregnancy complications, c-section and c-section recovery. But that's nothing compared to 6 months! I had people keeping me afloat with catalog shows. I had one going on while I was in the OR getting a c-section! LOLI agree, find someone, ANYONE, who can go with you and do the lifting & carrying for you. If you switch to the interactive shows, you can take along a bar stool and sit nearby to give tips on how to use the tools without actually having to be up on your feet during the show.

Since starting my business I have had several surgeries:

1/2003 Shoulder surgery - similar to yours
2004 lithotripsy (kidney stones)

9/2008 Arthroscopy - knee
12/2008 Bunionectomy and Plantar surgery

7/2009 D&C
8/2009 Hysterectomy
12/2009 Total Knee Replacement

Several of the surgeries required PT and lifting restrictions. Also, 2 months after I promoted to director I had to take 2+ months off to take care of my monther in her last months of life.

I kept my business going through it all. Get help when you need it. I pay friends in PC products for coming to my shows and helping. Tell your host/guests. They are more than willing to help if they are aware. Schedule your shows realistically. 4 nights in a row is probably too much. You might not be able to do 2 a week every week even. Do what you can. My business isn't where I want it but I am consistently selling enough to maintain my director level, earn the new products each season, etc.

It's easy to tell yourself it's too hard to do this and deal with the health issues too. I feel blessed that I have THIS job. Another job wouldn't have been so flexible and I would have lost a lot, including possibly the job with all that's been going on in the last year. With PC, I can still take care of me and fit my business in enough to meet most of my goals.

I came short of earning level 2 on the trip this year but considering it all I was darn close and I can't complain really!

I wish you the best. Just pace yourself and ask for help when you need it.

With my back problems and being on a cane, I can't lift much. My son-in-law or daughter load my car for me and my Host is aware of my limitations and has either her kids and/or herself help me unload. I explain that I normally wouldn't have so many "bags" but that I have to take into consideration I may have to do some loading/unloading myself so I make them light enough for me to manage.

1. How soon can I resume my regular activities after surgery?

It depends on the type of surgery you had and your doctor's recommendations. It's important to follow your doctor's instructions and listen to your body. Some people may be able to resume normal activities within a few days, while others may need several weeks to fully recover.

2. How can I manage pain and discomfort after surgery?

Your doctor will likely prescribe pain medication to help manage any discomfort you may experience after surgery. It's important to take these medications as directed and not to wait until the pain is severe before taking them. You can also try using ice packs or heat therapy to help relieve pain.

3. Are there any dietary restrictions I should follow after surgery?

Your doctor will provide specific dietary instructions based on your surgery and individual needs. It's important to follow these instructions to promote healing and prevent any complications. In general, it's best to stick to a healthy, balanced diet and stay well-hydrated.

4. How can I prevent infection after surgery?

To prevent infection, it's important to keep the surgical incision clean and dry. Follow your doctor's instructions on how to care for the incision and change any dressings. Avoid submerging the incision in water until it has fully healed. It's also important to wash your hands frequently and avoid touching the incision area.

5. Will I need physical therapy after surgery?

It depends on the type of surgery you had and your doctor's recommendations. Physical therapy may be necessary to help you regain strength, mobility, and range of motion after surgery. Your doctor can refer you to a physical therapist or give you exercises to do at home.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nikked
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • its_me_susan
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Shari'sKitchen
  • carlajanes