1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Sales Ideas on keeping going after surgery?

1. pjpamchef

pjpamchef Member Silver Member

I have torn my rotator cuff and will be having surgery next week. Dr says arm in a sling for 6 weeks, no lifting. Then 3 months of no lifting more than 20lbs. Says realistically 6 month recovery!!! Anyone else been thru this type of surgery??

Dec 29, 2009
  2. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

Is there anyway you can hire a "Chef's helper"? maybe a teenager or such that can help you for your shows - or your spouse maybe for pick up and drop off?

Dec 29, 2009
  3. smspamperedchef

smspamperedchef Veteran Member Silver Member

I had surgery on Nov 9th for a hernia and managed to still do a bunch of shows between Nov and Dec. Hubby loaded my car up and once my son came with me to a craft fair and helped me as well. Let your hosts know up front your limitations and have her or her hubby or teenager help you. I asked my hosts beforehand and they were all very helpful!!!

4. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

I was out of service for 8 weeks due to pregnancy complications, c-section and c-section recovery. But that's nothing compared to 6 months! I had people keeping me afloat with catalog shows. I had one going on while I was in the OR getting a c-section! LOL

I agree, find someone, ANYONE, who can go with you and do the lifting & carrying for you. If you switch to the interactive shows, you can take along a bar stool and sit nearby to give tips on how to use the tools without actually having to be up on your feet during the show.

Dec 30, 2009
  5. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

Since starting my business I have had several surgeries:

1/2003 Shoulder surgery - similar to yours
    2004 lithotripsy (kidney stones)

9/2008 Arthroscopy - knee
    12/2008 Bunionectomy and Plantar surgery

7/2009 D&C
    8/2009 Hysterectomy
    12/2009 Total Knee Replacement

Several of the surgeries required PT and lifting restrictions. Also, 2 months after I promoted to director I had to take 2+ months off to take care of my monther in her last months of life.

I kept my business going through it all. Get help when you need it. I pay friends in PC products for coming to my shows and helping. Tell your host/guests. They are more than willing to help if they are aware. Schedule your shows realistically. 4 nights in a row is probably too much. You might not be able to do 2 a week every week even. Do what you can. My business isn't where I want it but I am consistently selling enough to maintain my director level, earn the new products each season, etc.

It's easy to tell yourself it's too hard to do this and deal with the health issues too. I feel blessed that I have THIS job. Another job wouldn't have been so flexible and I would have lost a lot, including possibly the job with all that's been going on in the last year. With PC, I can still take care of me and fit my business in enough to meet most of my goals.

I came short of earning level 2 on the trip this year but considering it all I was darn close and I can't complain really!

I wish you the best. Just pace yourself and ask for help when you need it.

Dec 30, 2009
  6. pcchefjane

pcchefjane Senior Member Gold Member

With my back problems and being on a cane, I can't lift much. My son-in-law or daughter load my car for me and my Host is aware of my limitations and has either her kids and/or herself help me unload. I explain that I normally wouldn't have so many "bags" but that I have to take into consideration I may have to do some loading/unloading myself so I make them light enough for me to manage.

Dec 30, 2009
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted