• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Male Cooking Class Idea: Attracting New Customers with Free Lessons

In summary, a male co-worker asked if the speaker could do a cooking class for his daughter's Girl Scout troop. Another man overheard and asked if the speaker could also do cooking lessons for men who can't cook. The speaker had never considered this as a potential market until this conversation. The speaker also mentioned the possibility of charging for lessons or marketing them as free. The speaker has done a cooking class for the girl scouts before and is now working on something for adult cooking classes. The speaker also mentioned a "man show" that another consultant had done and suggested the idea of a couples show. The speaker also does cooking classes for the girl scouts and advertises her products but does not call it a Pampered Chef show. The speaker
tys1031
I was approached by a male co-worker today about a cooking class. His daughter is in Girl Scouts and wanted to know if I would do a cooking class for them. Another gentlemen overheard part of the conversation and excitedly asked me if I gave cooking lessons to men who couldn't cook. I told him I hadn't before but I would be willing to do one for him. He was quite excited and said he'd invite all of his single father friends and some single men he knew that he though would be interested.

I had never thought about this as a potential market for new bookings until he mentioned it. Is this a good way to approach it---saying I am giving free cooking lessons? Or should I market it without the "Free" part?

Any thoughts???

I have heard of people who "charge" to do a cooking lesson. This money goes towards the price of the food and an item or two for the customer (usually something you are showing them how to use). Or just let them know that your shows are all about how to cook if you do a live demo.

I did the cooking class for the girl scouts and it really was fun, and the parents brought the food and (some order pampered chef products) at the same time the girls earn their cooking badge.
Right now I am working on something for adult cooking class.

wadesgirl said:
I have heard of people who "charge" to do a cooking lesson. This money goes towards the price of the food and an item or two for the customer (usually something you are showing them how to use). Or just let them know that your shows are all about how to cook if you do a live demo.

Ok, thanks! I wasn't too keen on the idea of saying "Free Cooking Classes." I was thinking more of using a catch phrase or something and calling it a "Live Cooking Demo."

sandra foy said:
I did the cooking class for the girl scouts and it really was fun, and the parents brought the food and (some order pampered chef products) at the same time the girls earn their cooking badge.
Right now I am working on something for adult cooking class.

I was excited about doing this for the girl scouts because I could do a demo (with potential bookings and/or sales) as well as volunteer work all in one!:thumbup:

My cluster-mate had a "man show" recently. I haven't asked her how it went, but I know she was planning on doing the smokey BBQ chicken sandwiches. She was going to get a tool belt to wear instead of an apron.

I would ask the male co-worker if he could arrange a couples show. I do cooking classes for the girl scouts. Most of them outdoors over a campfire. Brownies have "Try-Its" and Jrs have several cooking badges they can earn. You can also help them earn a badge by talking about your business. I don't call it a PC show, but I advertise the products.

I would call it a "live cooking demo," and make sure that you show them a variety of foods. Do one appetizer (mini tart pan), one main dish (DCB), and one dessert (trifle bowl). Tell them that the cost of attendence is $15, but that each guest will receive full-color recipe cards to take home, and will receive a $15 gift certificate which can be put towards PC merchandise. Promise that your show will involve "hands-on" experience--men learn by doing. Do an interactive show so that they can get involved.

What about using PC's theme shows as the title? Dinnertime in No Time, Real Food, Real Fast or my favorite: Weekday Dinners - Done!

Make only one recipe and talk about all the other possibilities....thanks to our Magic Pot also known as the DCB. Anyone who orders one gets a book of recipes with it (thanks to the files section here). Mention that you'll do another recipe with the magic pot at the next show...For those who want to see another recipe prepared live can book a show, and get free product to boot.

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
What about using PC's theme shows as the title? Dinnertime in No Time, Real Food, Real Fast or my favorite: Weekday Dinners - Done!

Make only one recipe and talk about all the other possibilities....thanks to our Magic Pot also known as the DCB. Anyone who orders one gets a book of recipes with it (thanks to the files section here). Mention that you'll do another recipe with the magic pot at the next show...For those who want to see another recipe prepared live can book a show, and get free product to boot.

I like this, thank you, Jolie! I will definitely have to use this. I am going to talk more with my co-worker tomorrow so i can get a better idea of what he was thinking and start on my flyer. I didn't realize there were so many men (single guys and single fathers) that would be interested! He started calling some of his buddies and they were all for it! :love:

Chef Bobby said:
I would ask the male co-worker if he could arrange a couples show. I do cooking classes for the girl scouts. Most of them outdoors over a campfire. Brownies have "Try-Its" and Jrs have several cooking badges they can earn. You can also help them earn a badge by talking about your business. I don't call it a PC show, but I advertise the products.

He just lost his wife to cancer, so he is looking for something for single fathers/single men. I had planned on doing a couples show next month as part of my Spring Launch.

Plastic_Cup_of_Stars said:
I would call it a "live cooking demo," and make sure that you show them a variety of foods. Do one appetizer (mini tart pan), one main dish (DCB), and one dessert (trifle bowl). Tell them that the cost of attendence is $15, but that each guest will receive full-color recipe cards to take home, and will receive a $15 gift certificate which can be put towards PC merchandise. Promise that your show will involve "hands-on" experience--men learn by doing. Do an interactive show so that they can get involved.

Thank you for this suggestion! I will try this too!:thumbup:

If I were in this situation, I'd focus on preparing food items that men would actually cook, and highlight tools that they'd actually use.

Men love to cook on the grill, so go that angle: basting brushes, meat tenderizer, blah, blah, blah.

Unless you are reasonably sure of your audience, why waste your time preparing something using tools that they'd not likely use.

Your welcome! Glad it was helpful.

Bad Girl - sounds like "single dad" is group/audience, meaning they need to make family meals year round.

I would definitely go with DCB recipes! My husband loves that we can cook a full meal in the microwave. I think sometimes men (and women) who don't cook are a little intimidated by stovetop cooking. The microwave angle makes it a little more approachable for them. Make sense?

Maybe try the Chipotle Chili Cornbread bake or BBQ chicken/pork tenderloin. If they are mostly single dads, you could also think about doing something like the fajitas and talk about having one dish meals that have your veggies and meat in one dish which is good with kids.

grins88 said:
I would definitely go with DCB recipes! My husband loves that we can cook a full meal in the microwave. I think sometimes men (and women) who don't cook are a little intimidated by stovetop cooking. The microwave angle makes it a little more approachable for them. Make sense?

Maybe try the Chipotle Chili Cornbread bake or BBQ chicken/pork tenderloin. If they are mostly single dads, you could also think about doing something like the fajitas and talk about having one dish meals that have your veggies and meat in one dish which is good with kids.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Once he said it would be mostly single dads, I wanted to focus more on quick, easy ways for them to cook for their kids. I was thinking of asking him to do a separate show for his single male friends with no kids becuase I could gear it more to the BBQ items and meals like Badgirl suggested. Plus that would give me 2 more shows in March instead of 1!:thumbup:

Make sure you really talk about the knives and give them a chance to try them out. My dad and fiance are both OBSESSED with our knives! My dad just did his own catalog show so he could earn some free ones, and my fiance is begging for the knife block set. It seems like men really appreciate the quality of our knives moreso than woman (that's what I've seen in my experience at least--but don't get me wrong, I love our knives). I know I just take a knife and say, "Oh, okay. It works. Great." But my dad goes on and on about the quality and how sharp they are and their weight and just about everything else you could imagine!

Morgan032032 said:
Make sure you really talk about the knives and give them a chance to try them out. My dad and fiance are both OBSESSED with our knives! My dad just did his own catalog show so he could earn some free ones, and my fiance is begging for the knife block set. It seems like men really appreciate the quality of our knives moreso than woman (that's what I've seen in my experience at least--but don't get me wrong, I love our knives). I know I just take a knife and say, "Oh, okay. It works. Great." But my dad goes on and on about the quality and how sharp they are and their weight and just about everything else you could imagine!

LOL!! my hubby is afraid of PC knives! He thinks they are too sharp. :D He's seen me cut myself on them a few times. I LOVE them!!!!! :sing:

I would focus on the DCB and maybe the med bar pan. I grew up with my dad (he won the custody battle when i was in 5th grade and was a latchkey kid). So I grew up eating alot of microwave dinners (i can't stand the sight or smell of hot pockets or hamburger helper). If I wanted a real meal it was up to me or we went out to dinner. I use to cook steak in the broiler and maybe can corn. If I had something like the DCB, i would have been in heaven. Kids can cut up veg (maybe not with the extra sharp PC knives) toss it in with a couple of chicken breast and seasonings and its done. I used to love to bake and to be able to do a 10-15 min cake in the microwave would have been really cool. So I guess my point is be sure to let the guys know how simple it could be and be sure to point out that the kiddos could help or even do it themselves, espically on those days the dads get home late.

Don't forget all the Power Cooking meals available either. They could cook up a chicken in 30 minutes in the DCB on Sunday, then use it for several more meals during the week. and the Ground beef recipes where three pounds of hamburger cooked up all at one time, becomes split up into three meals! Tell them that not only do they save money, but a heck of a lot of time too!

Morgan032032 said:

The guys at work are my big knife customers. The sportsmen like the boning knife. They call it a filet knife. They also like the 8" Santoku.

I'm going to do that for Mother's Day. I'm planning to teach some of my customer's husbands to make an easy meal for their wives for Mother's Day. Guys "get" tools and they don't mind paying well for quality. At least judging by all tools in my garage!

I just wished I'd signed up in time to do this for Valentine's Day!

Thanks!

Adrian

What kind of products do you offer for male customers?

At Pampered Chef, we offer a wide range of kitchen tools and gadgets that are perfect for male customers. From high-quality knives and grilling accessories to versatile cookware and baking supplies, we have something for every man's cooking and entertaining needs.

Can you recommend a gift for a man who loves to cook?

Yes, we have many great gift options for men who love to cook. Our top picks include our Deluxe Cooking Blender, which is perfect for making smoothies, soups, and sauces, and our Executive Cookware Set, which includes all the essential pots and pans for any home cook.

Do you have any products specifically designed for male customers?

While all of our products are suitable for both men and women, we do have a few items that are especially popular with our male customers. These include our BBQ Skewer Set, which makes grilling kabobs a breeze, and our Meat Tenderizer, which helps to quickly and easily tenderize tough cuts of meat.

Are there any cooking classes or workshops geared towards men?

Yes, we offer a variety of cooking classes and workshops for both men and women. Our "Grilling Like a Pro" class is especially popular with male customers, as it teaches essential grilling techniques and recipes for a delicious outdoor BBQ.

Can you provide recommendations for a beginner male cook?

Absolutely! Our "Essential Kitchen Tools" set is the perfect starter kit for any beginner cook, male or female. It includes all the basic tools needed for any recipe, such as measuring cups and spoons, spatulas, and a whisk. We also recommend our "Cooking 101" cookbook, which includes simple and easy-to-follow recipes for beginners.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• txtrina
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
katie0128
  • its_me_susan
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
SillyChef
  • ChefBeckyD