• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ice for a Sprain? Janetupnorth?

In summary, a 14-year-old girl got upset with her 11-year-old brother and roughed him up, causing wrist pain. The parents gave him Advil and wrapped the wrist, but it still hurts and is slightly swollen. They are wondering if ice and heat would help, and are considering getting an x-ray if it doesn't improve. Others suggest soaking in Epsom salts and using vet wrap or Coban to wrap the wrist. They also mention that heat on the injured area could be a sign of a fracture.
kcjodih
Gold Member
Looking for any and all help asap but especially Janet's if she sees this in the next 12 hours.

My 11 yo DS is the only goalie for his Peewee Rep hockey team. First playoff game is tomorrow, 2nd Sunday. Best of three to advance. Obviously it's what the kids work hard for all season....

My darling (not so much right now) 14 yo DD got upset with her brother this past Tuesday after school for not turning the radio down fast enough (that SHE had turned up) when her friend called, and proceeded to get rough with him and then wrestled, shoved etc. We were both at work so only have a he said/she said scenario. However, she really isn't saying anything (no denial, just her 'reasoning' on why she jumped him).

He immediately had wrist pain and his father had him take some advil/motrin and when I called home I told them to put ice on it. He said it was just a little sore and tender. Wednesday he said it was the same and didn't want anything. Thursday nothing was said. Tonight he had hockey practice and couldn't hold the stick. The coaches got concerned (said he couldn't squeeze their finger when they asked) and came to speak to my DH (I was at a show). He explained but mentioned he thought it wasn't a problem/wasn't sore anymore.

So they came home and gave him the three motrin that's suggested for his age and weight, wrapped it in a tension bandage as per the coach's suggestion, and about an hour later when they tried it he could hold the stick and move it to and fro however some positions still hurt somewhat. I noticed when the bandage came off that it was slightly swollen. He hasn't let me see it up to this point. Just said 'mom, it's just sore'. Too cool for his mom to look at it and his dad said it's not broken, he can move it. Which I know is not necessarily the case!

Anyway, my question is at this late stage would ice help with the slight swelling? Or maybe some of that icy cold stuff? Is there anything else I can do for him besides taking him in for xrays which WILL be done beginning of next week if he's the same. They are both adament (sp?) that they will play tomorrow and Sunday before going to the hospital. DS doesn't want to let the whole team and families down! :rolleyes:

Anyone have experience or medical advice for me? Janet where ARE you? ;):)

Not Janetupnorth but I've had tons of experience with injuries--my own mostly (I'm a sports nut). Ice for the first 24 hours as often as you can stand it, about 15 min at a time. Ibuprofen every 6. After 24 hours of ice, then alternate ice and heat. Wrap the injured wrist to immobilize it. I used my daughter's wrist guards (from skating) when she hurt both her wrists playing basketball. If it's bad I'd get it xrayed

Add to Nancy's advice that soaking in Epsom salts if you have it reduces swelling quite a bit and helps with mobility. Vet wrap or Coban which you should be able to get works best - it sticks to itself and is easier to wrap than with an ace bandage. You can also wrap it directly on without putting prewrap on first.Take an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen too.Get it checked if there is further pain. Of course if there are any bad bruises, it may take awhile to heal. I'm going on 6 months on my ankle without the internal bruises healed. Of course, I'm more than triple your child's age!

...now off to drive an hour to my cluster meeting - SPRING KICK-OFF! WHOHOO!

Just a question - is there any heat where it hurts? My DS hurt his wrist 2 years ago, we thought it was nothing big (and did turn out to be not too serious) and sent him to school the next day. He couldn't hold his pencil (he was in 1st grade) and nurse called and told me to take him to the dr. Well, he ended up with a buckle fracture! She said "heat to the source" is usually signs of a fracture or something - SO check it out and then inmobilize it -

1. How long should I ice a sprain for?

The general recommendation is to ice a sprain for 15-20 minutes at a time, with at least 45 minutes in between icing sessions.

2. Can I use ice directly on my skin?

No, it is not recommended to apply ice directly on the skin as it can cause frostbite. Wrap the ice pack in a towel or cloth before applying it to the sprained area.

3. How often should I ice a sprain?

You should ice a sprain every 2-3 hours for the first 24-48 hours. After that, you can reduce the frequency to 3-4 times a day until the pain and swelling subside.

4. Should I use heat or ice for a sprain?

In the first 24-48 hours after a sprain, it is recommended to only use ice to reduce swelling and pain. After that, you can alternate between heat and ice therapy to help with healing and pain relief.

5. Can I still use ice if the sprain is not swollen?

Yes, you can still use ice for pain relief even if the sprained area is not visibly swollen. Ice can help reduce inflammation and pain, promoting faster healing for the sprain.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003