• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ice Cube Trick: Impressive but Risky?

In summary, the ice cube trick that was shown on the Cooking Shows in Action DVD works in other pots and pans, but the quality of the pan affects how quickly the ice cube melts.
babywings76
Gold Member
I was really impressed with the ice cube trick they showed on the Cooking Shows in Action DVD. But I'm nervous to actually do that at a show because it feels like a gimmick. What do you guys think? Have any of you tried to see what happens with ice cubes in other pots and pans? I did in my cheap-o Wearever nonstick skillet, and the ice cube melted the same way. :grumpy:

Although it might melt the same way, your cheap-o pan (as you put it) will not be as cold, nor will the entire pan be cold. At least that is my experience in doing this in every show. You could also put an ice cube in a Simple Additions, too. The fact that our pans will retain all the cold and retain it so well is more what you are going after vs the fact that it can melt an ice cub really fast! :)

I do it at every show.
People are impressed!
Have someone feel the pan before the ice goes in..verify that it's room temperature.
Put the ice in...it starts to melt as I'm talking about how it transfers heat ...stainless steel doesn't transfer heat like hard anodized.
they'll see the ice melting...they are amazed...then ask that same person to feel the sides of the pan...they are ice cold!
I say...
'Since I can't pass a boiling pot of water around...((everyone laughs)) ... the ice in since it has the same affect - the heat from the room is melting the ice...imagine how the heat on the stovetop...it transfers evenly, no hot/cold spots, and quickly, it heat up faster , you don't have to put the burner on high!"

I talk about how easy it is to clean...the LIFETIME guarantee...the soft silicone handle...and how it's designed to go from stovetop to oven...and explain the garlic Pull Apart bread recipe we have.... they all go "oohhh Yum!"

And I explain our St. Cookware has the same affect..since it's Tri-PLy and has the hard anodized sandwiched inside the Stainless steel...but the SS is 500 degree safe and dishwasher safe...and you can do the fond...etc...

Did you do the ice in your PC pan and the Wearever pan at the same time side by side?

Does your Wearever have the teflon that will be peeling off in a year?

Is it oven safe?

Does it have ANY guarantee?

((May be a silly question...but did you have your Wearever on the stovetop or room temperature?))

I'd suggest going online...learn a lot about our cookware...
You have to be sold on what you are selling...and if you do your research I'm confident you'll see how great our cookware is!

I do this at every show. I tell them to feel the bottom and the sides as they are the same temp. I also set another ice cube in a prep bowl and have that sit through the rest of the show. At the end of the show, I show them how that ice cube barely even melted by the end of the show and how the one in the pan melted before it even made it around the room.

Love the prep bowl trick idea! ...but can I ask...where do you live? 'Cause i'm always hot here...and some hosts don't have the AC on real cool...??
I'm gonna try that at my house right now!
Thanks!

ChefNic said:
Love the prep bowl trick idea! ...but can I ask...where do you live? 'Cause i'm always hot here...and some hosts don't have the AC on real cool...??
Thanks!
I'm in the midwest area. It's always hot here in the summer. And trust me, there are a lot of hosts who haven't turned on their air yet! By the way, I always joke with the last person as they hand the pan back that the last person has to drink it. It's pretty funny and gets some strange looks from the last person.

ChefNic said:
Thanks!

I'm in North Carolina (Asheville) and have done the ice cube (one in Simple Additions, one in small saute' pan) and it still works great even if the house is warm. The cookware melts it faster.

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the cookware. Definitely love the quality. I don't have any reservations in recommending it for all those other things you mentioned.

For the ice cube thing... I used my cheap skillet at room temp, straight from the drawer just like the 8-in saute pan. Yes, they melted the same way, same amount of time. But I get what you are saying about the cold transfer being all over the saute pan. My cheap skillet was cold, but not all over (But I thought maybe because it's so much larger...) I just am worried about sceptics in the crowd. My sister is a killjoy. At my kick-off show I was showing them the microplane adj. grater and how much I love how easy and well it works and how fluffy the parmesan grates in it, etc. She interrupts and says, "I just use my box grater, why don't you just use that!" UGG! And she did that for a few other things. My other sister was there, she sells Mary Kay so she knows how I feel, she says to me "There's one in every crowd" Too bad it was our sister! :)

Got off topic there... :)

You'll have people like that at every show! I just talk about the great benefits of the cookware and have never had anyone second guess me (out loud at least). Don't worry about it too much!

babywings76 said:
Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the cookware. Definitely love the quality. I don't have any reservations in recommending it for all those other things you mentioned.

For the ice cube thing... I used my cheap skillet at room temp, straight from the drawer just like the 8-in saute pan. Yes, they melted the same way, same amount of time. But I get what you are saying about the cold transfer being all over the saute pan. My cheap skillet was cold, but not all over (But I thought maybe because it's so much larger...) I just am worried about sceptics in the crowd. My sister is a killjoy. At my kick-off show I was showing them the microplane adj. grater and how much I love how easy and well it works and how fluffy the parmesan grates in it, etc. She interrupts and says, "I just use my box grater, why don't you just use that!" UGG! And she did that for a few other things. My other sister was there, she sells Mary Kay so she knows how I feel, she says to me "There's one in every crowd" Too bad it was our sister! :)

Got off topic there... :)

Because with your box cutter you cannot lay it flat in your drawer. You don't have a safety cover and they are usually very large!

That's right!!! :) I'll have to remember to say that next time!

I did mention after she said that, "One thing that is nice about this one is that you can choose to open it flat and grate right into your bowl (which is easier than a box grater because you can rest it on the bowl) or you can stand it up traditionally." She did seem to notice how nice and sharp ours is.

What is the "Ice Cube Trick" in Pampered Chef?

The "Ice Cube Trick" is a cooking hack that involves placing an ice cube on top of a burger patty while it is cooking on a grill or stovetop. This is said to create a juicier and more flavorful burger.

Is the "Ice Cube Trick" safe to use?

While the "Ice Cube Trick" can produce delicious results, it is important to note that it can also be risky. The melting ice cube can cause hot oil to splatter, which can result in burns. It is important to use caution and protective gear when attempting this trick.

Do I need to use a specific type of ice cube for the "Ice Cube Trick"?

No, any type of ice cube can be used for this trick. However, it is recommended to use smaller ice cubes to reduce the risk of splattering.

Can the "Ice Cube Trick" be used for other types of meat?

Yes, the "Ice Cube Trick" can be used for other types of meat such as steaks, pork chops, and chicken. It is important to adjust cooking times accordingly and use caution when flipping the meat to avoid splatters.

Are there any alternatives to the "Ice Cube Trick" in Pampered Chef?

Yes, there are other ways to keep your burgers and other meats juicy and flavorful. Some alternatives include using a marinade, adding a small amount of water or broth to the cooking surface, or cooking the meat in a covered pan or on a low heat setting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefJoyJ
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • smallfarmmom
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
ginamkiely
  • Chef Laurie