• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Write on a Whipped Topping Ice Cream Sandwich Torte?

In summary, the cake is delicious, but difficult to make. You need to freeze the whipped topping for about 20 minutes before writing on the cake.
kcjodih
Gold Member
I've decided to make my DH this tomorrow since he's never had it nor does he even know it exists but he loves ice cream sandwiches and I figure with all that's going on with my MIL he's not really in the mood to celebrate his birthday. We do have a rather large birthday cake in the freezer now due to the cancellation this weekend but just had cake last week twice for 2 parties for my DS and we'll be having more next week for my bday.

My question is...I'd like to actually write HBday on the cake but don't know if this is possible due to the whipped topping. Could I spread it smooth on top, refreeze it for a bit and then pull it out and write on it? Would the whipped topping have hardened a little, enough to write on it or should I just forget it and get a HB candle instead?

Yes, if you stick it in the freezer for about 20 minutes then write on it it will be fine. I LOVE this torte!! It is soooo fun to see everyone's reactions when they see you make it then eat some.

Thanks so much for the help!

Would you please share this recipe.

Ice Cream Sandwich Torte
Everybody will wonder how you made this ice cream cake. Nobody will know you used ice cream sandwiches to create it!

1 cup coarsely chopped crème-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (about 10 cookies)
½ cup milk
1 package (3.9 ounces) chocolate instant pudding and pie filling
1 container (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided – COOL WHIP ONLY, PLEASE!
12 frozen ice cream sandwiches (3.75 ounces each), unwrapped, divided
2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate morsels, grated or multi-colored sprinkles

*for a holiday twist…substitute Grasshopper cookies (or any mint cookie type) for the sandwich cookies and Andes candy for the chocolate morsels. Pipe a boarder around top edge of cake and garnish using ½ pieces of Andes in between the scallops .

1) Coarsely chop cookies using Food Chopper. In Classic Batter Bowl, combine milk and pudding mix; whisk using Stainless Steel Whisk until mixture is smooth and begins to thicken. Fold in half of the whipped topping and cookies using Classic Scraper; set filling aside.

2) Working quickly, arrange six of the ice cream sandwiches side by side on Simple Additions® Large Square Platter or Rectangular Chillzanne . Spread filling evenly over sandwiches using Small Spreader. Top with remaining ice cream sandwiches, forming a rectangular-shaped torte; smooth sides. Spread remaining whipped topping over top and sides of torte. Grate chocolate over torte using Deluxe Cheese Grater. Freeze at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve. Slice using Nylon Slice ’N Serve® or Bread Knife and serve.

Yield: 16 servings

This so so yummy cant wait to try it.

Thanks for sharing. I will have to try it.

I did it for my daughter's 4th birthday party. I made it with the kids. They were more excited about that than the cupcakes!!

How did your's turn out, Jodi?

Chef Kearns said:
I did it for my daughter's 4th birthday party. I made it with the kids. They were more excited about that than the cupcakes!!

How did your's turn out, Jodi?

He loved it Sandra, thanks for your help :)

I put it in the freezer for 30 minutes, took it out to write on it. That part was NOT fun though. Halfway through writing 'birthday' the letters weren't sticking to the cool whip anymore since it was starting to thaw but I managed and it was a hit! All four of us had a piece at dinner and then I went to work and my DH and 12yo DS each had another piece before bed :rolleyes:

The next day DH and I are out of town visiting my MIL in the hospital and my DS finished the rest of it!! :eek: Now of course they're asking me to make it again..already :) They asked me if I could make it for MY birthday this upcoming Wednesday...um, no :)

1. How do I assemble the ice cream sandwich torte?

To assemble the ice cream sandwich torte, start by placing a layer of ice cream sandwiches in the bottom of a pan. Then, spread a layer of softened ice cream on top of the sandwiches. Repeat this process, alternating layers of sandwiches and ice cream, until you reach the desired height. Finally, cover the pan with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.

2. Can I use different flavors of ice cream in the torte?

Yes, you can use any flavor of ice cream in the torte. This is a great way to customize the dessert and make it your own. Just make sure to soften the ice cream before spreading it onto the sandwiches to make assembly easier.

3. How far in advance can I make the torte?

The torte can be made up to 3 days in advance. Just make sure to keep it covered in the freezer until ready to serve. If you are making it ahead of time, you can also add a layer of whipped cream or frosting on top to help keep the ice cream sandwiches from getting too hard.

4. Can I add toppings to the torte?

Yes, you can add toppings to the torte before or after freezing. Some popular options include chocolate chips, crushed cookies, caramel sauce, or fresh fruit. Just make sure to press the toppings into the softened ice cream so they stick.

5. How do I serve the torte?

To serve the torte, remove it from the freezer and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to soften slightly. Then, using a sharp knife, cut the torte into slices and serve immediately. You can also garnish each slice with additional toppings, if desired.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lilscrapmama
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
luvs2cook
Replies
Views
cheflydia
  • KellyTheChef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies