• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mileage Deduction for Visiting Family: Is There a Rule?

In summary, the conversation discussed deducting mileage for a trip that included a personal visit and a business show. The IRS allows for mileage deduction if the trip was primarily for business purposes, and you can use either the standard mileage rate or track actual expenses. It is recommended to consult with a tax professional for specific advice.
beepampered
I went to visit my mother (880 total miles) and did a show while I was there. Since I did not go exclusively to do the show I don't think I can justify deducting all the miles. Can I deduct some of the miles? Is there a rule or formula to follow? Thanks....BEE

I traveled to NH (2600 miles roundtrip) and did a couple shows while I was there and I will be deducting all miles but not gas, food or lodging.

If you deduct the miles, you cannot deduct the gasoline anyway, because that is a part of the per-mile deduction.

beepampered said:
I went to visit my mother (880 total miles) and did a show while I was there. Since I did not go exclusively to do the show I don't think I can justify deducting all the miles. Can I deduct some of the miles? Is there a rule or formula to follow? Thanks....BEE

I belive it's 80% - - just keep track of all miles done for business and the dates. Try to do one business thing a day, be it drop off a catalog, product, go to bank, post office, food store, etc.

:)

Hi BEE,Thank you for reaching out! As a consultant, I understand the importance of properly deducting business expenses. According to the IRS, you can deduct mileage if your trip was primarily for business purposes, even if you also did personal activities during the trip. In your case, since you did a show while visiting your mother, you can deduct the mileage for that portion of the trip.To calculate the deductible miles, you can use the standard mileage rate of 58 cents per mile or you can keep track of your actual expenses, such as gas and tolls, and deduct the percentage that was used for business purposes. I recommend consulting with a tax professional for specific advice on your situation.I hope this helps and happy cooking!Best,

1. What is mileage deduction for visiting family?

Mileage deduction for visiting family is a tax deduction that allows you to claim the expenses incurred while traveling to visit your family as a deduction on your income tax return.

2. Is there a specific rule for claiming mileage deduction for visiting family?

Yes, there are specific rules for claiming mileage deduction for visiting family. The IRS requires that the distance traveled must be at least 50 miles one-way, and the purpose of the trip must be primarily for visiting family members.

3. Who is considered "family" for the purpose of claiming mileage deduction?

The term "family" for the purpose of claiming mileage deduction typically includes your spouse, children, parents, siblings, grandparents, and in-laws. It may also include other relatives such as aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews, as long as the visit is for a legitimate family-related reason.

4. Can I claim mileage deduction for visiting family if I am self-employed?

Yes, self-employed individuals can claim mileage deduction for visiting family as long as they meet the requirements set by the IRS. They must keep accurate records of the mileage and the purpose of the trip to support their deduction.

5. How much can I deduct for mileage when visiting family?

The amount you can deduct for mileage when visiting family depends on the current standard mileage rate set by the IRS. For the tax year 2021, the standard mileage rate for business purposes is 56 cents per mile. You can multiply this rate by the total miles traveled to determine your deduction amount.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Yakmama