• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discovering the Surprising Weight of a Full Family-Size Quick-Stir® Pitcher

HOT. So, when I filled up my pitcher with water, I knew that it would be heavy. The pitcher is okay. My puppy, however, just got soaked in Orange flavored Crystal Light!poor, poor Puppy! Glad the pitcher survived though! Don't think that would be covered under warranty!!! :D
RMDave
Gold Member
... I'm not a stupid person. I've traveled the world. Performed in front of hundreds of thousands of people. Taught. Explored various professional and cultural options. Raised three kids successfully ... so why didn't anybody ever tell me that a Family-Size Quick-Stir® Pitcher weighs nearly 10 pounds when its filled with a gallon of liquid.

I'm okay. The pitcher is okay. My puppy, however, just got soaked in Orange flavored Crystal Light!

poor, poor Puppy! Glad the pitcher survived though! Don't think that would be covered under warranty!!!

DH wants to know if uPppy has a crystal problem? [GROAN]:yuck:

OMG~~ It gets really heavy! I still do the grab and almost drop from the refrigerator. Poor puppy! I do love the orane Crystal Light though. Although I am going through a fruit punch phase right now.

AJPratt said:
OMG~~ It gets really heavy! I still do the grab and almost drop from the refrigerator. Poor puppy! I do love the orane Crystal Light though. Although I am going through a fruit punch phase right now.

Our new favorite is the Sunrise Tangerine Strawberry...YUM!

Sometimes those with book smarts have no common sense, David. ;)Just kidding. It is a heavy thing! We have two and I carried two full ones the other day. Fortunately, there was no accident.

Were you asleep in chem or physics the day they told you a gallon of water weighs about 8-1/3 pounds?:)(I usually say 8-1/2 pounds per gallon to make up for the high mineral content around here.)Now we need to figure out how much Crystal Not-So-Light weighs.

nikked said:
Our new favorite is the Sunrise Tangerine Strawberry...YUM!

I'll have to look for that! {end hijack}

poor puppy----the indignity!I like sunrise orange, but everyone once in a while I find "lemonade hydration" which is my true favorite

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Were you asleep in chem or physics the day they told you a gallon of water weighs about 8-1/3 pounds?
Neither Chemistry nor Physics were part of the curriculum at Juilliard. I sure wish they were. LOL

Last edited:
RMDave said:
Neither Chemistry nor Physics were part of the curriculum at Juilliard. I sure wish there were. LOL

Even a basic high school Chem class should have taught you that a liter of water weighs a kilogram, and there are (very roughly) about 4 liters to a gallon, and about two pounds to a kilogram.

So glad it was orange not cherry cause the puppy would have been dyed red cherry stsins everything

RMDave said:
Neither Chemistry nor Physics were part of the curriculum at Juilliard. I sure wish there were. LOL

Well, that certainly changes my tune.

NooraK said:
Even a basic high school Chem class should have taught you that a liter of water weighs a kilogram, and there are (very roughly) about 4 liters to a gallon, and about two pounds to a kilogram.

Way too much math for me! I took Math for Plants in college to fulfill that requirement, though I like basic algebra.

Yea, I know. I ordered it because I really liked the idea of an oval pitcher. When it came in I was shocked at how huge it was. I wish the small pitcher came in an oval shape too. :)

Poor puppy! Hope it was a nice and hot day and your puppy felt refreshed after his impromptu bath. :D

As for not letting you know how heavy it is when filled...well, they just assume it's to pretty to fill, so why bother?

Actually, I was thrown off too. It's just one of those things that neatly escapes your mind when purchasing.

I think its the oval shape that makes it feel heavier because I have a more upright gallon pitcher does NOT feel anywhere as heavy because the weight is disbributed differently. To sound like 'proper lifting' but when its more upright its 'closer to the body (or wrist in this case' vs the oval is leaving the wrists' so called 'green zone' therefore puts more pressure on the wrist. Thats at least how I explain it to myself in my little warped mind.

I do think its super heavy though to pour one-handed.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Were you asleep in chem or physics the day they told you a gallon of water weighs about 8-1/3 pounds?

:)

(I usually say 8-1/2 pounds per gallon to make up for the high mineral content around here.)

Now we need to figure out how much Crystal Not-So-Light weighs.

I didn't learn this in school... but I DID learn this from many years in the restaurant biz! When you have to lift those coke boxes that are 5 gallons.. you had better be able to lift at least 40lbs w/out hurting yourself. :)

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Poor puppy! Hope it was a nice and hot day and your puppy felt refreshed after his impromptu bath. :D

Yesterday was 106 degrees. Yes, it was refreshing I'm sure. She also loved romping around in the bathtub where she was taken after the fact.

Attachments

• kitt.jpg
    kitt.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 355
hmmmm....this is something to remember when my sweet, supportive, 85 year old neighbor wants to buy it (she probably weighs about as much as the pitcher does empty!)...maybe I'll have it at the shows so people can check it out.Marghi

BlueMoon said:
hmmmm....this is something to remember when my sweet, supportive, 85 year old neighbor wants to buy it (she probably weighs about as much as the pitcher does empty!)...maybe I'll have it at the shows so people can check it out.

Marghi

Yes, but keep in mind.. whether they buy our pitcher or someone else's pitcher, a gallon of liquid still weighs the same. So you might as well sell her one of ours that will weigh the same as a generic one :)

BlueMoon said:
hmmmm....this is something to remember when my sweet, supportive, 85 year old neighbor wants to buy it (she probably weighs about as much as the pitcher does empty!)...maybe I'll have it at the shows so people can check it out.

Marghi

The smaller one wouldn't be as bad. ;)

chefcharity said:
Yes, but keep in mind.. whether they buy our pitcher or someone else's pitcher, a gallon of liquid still weighs the same. So you might as well sell her one of ours that will weigh the same as a generic one :)

You are absolutely right, but...
she doesn't need a gallon pitcher--she'd buy almost anything from me just to be supportive! I could probably sell her baby toys if I started a business in that, so I have to be careful with her. She is totally in her right mind and all, she is just generous to a fault. And we have plenty of stuff she does need.

and I don't want to knock the pitcher. It's great!... I can just make sure everyone knows to use both hands! If we include it in the demo, we can make the point-"this holds a lot! Be ready when you lift it!"

Marghi

We had to stop using the gallon one here as it got too heavy for my DH to hold without spilling all of the time and almost dropping. The 2 quart works out much better for him and I keep 2 in the refrigerator all of the time now.

The shape of the pitcher is why it feels heavier than a gallon of milk or juice. This last time I made lemonade, I only made 2 qts in the gallon pitcher.

What's the heaviest gallon? How about this one?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/04/Galion_machine.jpg/800px-Galion_machine.jpg

This Galion weighs several tons. It was made in Galion, Ohio. I looked it up, it's over 400 miles from home.

That means I get 439 miles to a http://www.ci.galion.oh.us/.

Oh, stop it. I can't help myself, okay?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
What's the heaviest gallon? How about this one?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/04/Galion_machine.jpg/800px-Galion_machine.jpg

This Galion weighs several tons. It was made in Galion, Ohio. I looked it up, it's over 400 miles from home.

That means I get 439 miles to a http://www.ci.galion.oh.us/.

Oh, stop it. I can't help myself, okay?

Spectacular answer. You gave me the laugh I needed. Thanks!

You're welcome! Being the resident smart-donkey is just one more service I graciously provide to the Cheffers.
aola.gif

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You're welcome! Being the resident smart-donkey is just one more service I graciously provide to the Cheffers.

aola.gif

Damn, we're gonna have to duke it out for the title :) Naw, I'll give it to you this time.

OMG! Your dog looks just like my host's dog!

I'd show ya how I met her (and the photo of her w/her dog) but it's locked on our web site.

OH and I went to college too but took as little math & science as I could. I took espagnol instead!

Di_Can_Cook said:
I'd show ya how I met her (and the photo of her w/her dog) but it's locked on our web site.

You could always email the URL to your website :) [email protected]

But said url is locked unless you're signed in! It was an article about her being elected trustee and she loved it so much she booked a show. She is awesome and has a BEAUTIFUL home!

Thanks anyway :)

1. What is the weight of a full Family-Size Quick-Stir® Pitcher?

The weight of a full Family-Size Quick-Stir® Pitcher can vary depending on the type of liquid being used, but on average it weighs around 10 pounds when filled with a gallon of liquid.

2. Why didn't anyone tell me about the weight of the pitcher?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, our focus is on providing high-quality and convenient kitchen products for our customers. The weight of the pitcher is not usually a topic of discussion, but we apologize if this information was not made clear to you.

3. Is the pitcher and its contents safe to handle at that weight?

Yes, the pitcher is designed to hold a gallon of liquid and is made with sturdy materials to support its weight. As long as the handle is securely attached and you are using proper lifting techniques, it should be safe to handle.

4. Can the weight of the pitcher cause any issues?

The weight of the pitcher itself should not cause any issues, but it's important to be cautious when handling any heavy object to avoid strain or injury. Also, be mindful of the weight when storing the pitcher in cabinets or on shelves.

5. What should I do if the pitcher spills and my pet gets soaked?

We're sorry to hear that your pet got soaked in Orange flavored Crystal Light. Please be sure to clean up any spills promptly and keep the pitcher out of reach from pets and children to prevent any accidents.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
minersmix
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • DebPC
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies