• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Reconsidering Direct Sales: My Experience as a Consultant | Cheryl's Story

In summary, Cheryl's advice is to be patient, be polite, and be persistent. She also recommends joining a gym, as it gave her the opportunity to talk to more people and build relationships.
mom2kr
by signing up to be a consultant. I really thought I was ready to step out of my comfort zone and try direct sales, but unfortunately every time I think about calling someone or telling someone I am doing this I just get so nervous and feel sick to my stomach!

Thank you for listening,

Cheryl

You CAN do this. PC isn't a mistake. I get so nervous at shows (and I am sure most everyone else does too) that I am almost sick to my stomach. Just take a deep breath and pick up the phone. We are always afraid of rejection, but after a few, it will roll right off your back and you can go to the next person... Who WILL say yes!!! They can't say yes without being asked. There are alot of scripts on here for phone/customer calls, from other people, that are great. You may find one that is just for you!! Good luck and don't give up!!Also, practice what you will say, that is important. The first time I ask someone I didn't know if they'd like a catalog, I kept fumbling..

Last edited:
I feel your pain! It is not easy to get passed the jitters and I know that for a fact. I find myself spending hours planning out what I should be doing to fill up my calendar but then I seem to never actually pick up the phone because I can't stop worrying that I'm bothering people or being way too pushy or I'm interupting dinner, or they're too busy, or whatever else I can talk myself into thinking.
However, I am involved with my cluster and involved here and I can see that others are doing quite well and if they can do it, so can I. The other day I did something completely out of the ordinary for me but once I did it, I felt great about it!
I had gone to purchase some things from a small shop but wasn't sure what I needed. The saleslady was so nice to me. (Hint #1: Treat every single person you come in contact with with extra courtesy and respect because you never know when you might be able to strike up the hosting conversation.) As we were finishing the transaction I said, "You've been so nice and so helpful to me, I just have to ask.......I've just started my business with The Pampered Chef and I bet you would be a great host. Have you ever thought of having some friends over for an evening of fun? If you like, I can come and pamper you all...cook, clean up, and you and your friends would just have a wonderful time." I gave her a catalog and she gave me her number.
No, I didn't book a show right then but I opened my mouth and talked about it to a total stranger. I really feel good about that.
Every time you go out to the store or run errands, keep in mind that those people you meet face to face are potential hosts. If you are nice to them, they just might like you enough to ask you over for a show. (Hint #2: Everyone loves to be complimented. Make sure you tell them how you appreciate how helpful and nice they've been to you.)
Just yesterday I spoke with the receptionist at my sons school and told her how nice she always is to me. She responded by saying I make it easy to be nice and talked about how so many parents just come in rude and barking at her. I view her now as a potential host and will continue to build that relationship with her until I am comfortable asking.

You can do this. And we are here to vent to when things get tough.

Hang in the GirlfriendI just finished SS#1 I had but one show and that was because my best friend did it for me. I had a difficult time myself approaching people and also afraid of always hearing no. I thought I made a mistake too with doing this PC. About 2 weeks ago, I joined a gym. The woman asked me what I did in the run of a day and goals I wanted to set both physically and in my life. I found myself talking about PC and how I was just starting my business, and and trying hard to find people who would like to host a show. She asked me for a catalog (which I make sure I carry 3-4 in my tote EVERYWHERE I go). She was very interested in it. She then asked if I would like to set up a booth at their gym (all women's gym) for an anniversary party/open house they had. I had Noooooo idea what to expect having never done one before. I went, though figured I would babble their ears off with gibberish and not get the interest across. Through the AMAZING advice with the great people here, I offered a chance to win one of 2 $25 Gift certficates. They drew the people to my table. I found myself doing better than i thought (yes i babbled a bit and stumbled.. but the people didn't seem to care). Of the 42 ballots, one of the two women who won a GC wanted to book a show immediately when I called her about the good news of winning the GC. HEr show is 2 weeks from today! woo hoo! I thought okay what the hay, I"ll give the other people who ticked yes or maybe for a show from their ballots... I got two more!! and about 5 leads for the end of the summer! I was elated!!! I foudn the more calls I made the more relaxed I became. I started finding myself make up my own spiel. Yes I got many no's, but I did get some yeses and some maybes and some 'call me back in a few months time.
It gets better and the butterflies in the stomach do not flutter as much. Growing up I HATED public speaking. I would get so nervous and get this terrible dry mouth when up in front of people. I knew I that I had to get over this fear eventually as I knew there would be times in my life that I would have no choice but get up and talk. I decided to start slow. I got hired as a quilting instructor. i would teach small groups of women to quilt. I forced myself to talk slowly and clearly. Because I knew what I was teaching and what I was talking about I was getting more comfortable speaking in front of people. So I figured, hmmm okay I can do this with my quilting, I can do this with my PC products. I love the products and use them every day. there is still so much I have to learn and will get great advice and education here on this site.

Anyway, after all that babbling above... hang in there girlfriend, life was never meant to be easy... there are a few bumps and curves along the way. YOu can do it!!!! Don't give up yet!!! At LEAST give yourself 6 months. Thats what they told me here. I'm hoping to go alot longer than six months. I may only be in my SS#2 right now, but this place has been a God send and an inspiration. Feel free to drop me an email anytime!!!

Cheers:rolleyes:

I was, and am still, definitely there, too. :)

One of the biggest things that helped me forge forward out of my comfort zone a bit was a book - "Now, Discover You Strengths". It's a book that helped me find my STRENGTHS. It wasn't about "fixing" what was wrong, it was about finding what was right. Once I knew what my strengths are, I found a way to apply them to my business. Quite honestly, I didn't actually sign until after I read the book and realized that I could find a way to make it work for me. :)

Another huge help in beating back the bats in my belly (like the alliteration? ;)) was to flip a mental switch and turn my nervousness into excitement. Instead of, "OMG, I really don't want to make these calls. I don't want someone to get irritated and bothered at me because I'm calling...." I turn it around to think, "I am looking for the ones who WANT to Host. If someone says "No", that's OK because I'm only looking to find the ones who do want to host. I won't know if I don't ask......"

When I'm getting ready for a show I always get a bit wigged out. When I finally catch myself getting strung out, I flip that switch and start getting excited instead. Instead of, "I have to talk in front of people! I'll make mistakes. I'm going to forget something....." I start telling myself, "I get to share some awesome tips and tricks and tools with these folks. I just love my Pampered Chef stuff and I'd love to share that with them. I'm Pampered, not perfect!....."

Anyway, those are the things that help keep me in business. I don't do a rip-roaring, consistent business by any stretch, but I'm still enjoying it and it's given me an opportunity to stretch myself and grow a bit. I believe that you can do the same thing. I hope you can find a way to make it work for you! :)

One trick I do is to call the people on my call list for the day (or list of 100) that I think will say "No" FIRST! That way, if they say "Yes", what a rush! Plus, you get out your flubs and are more comfortable because there is less pressure. Once you have had your fill of "No" for the day, call those who you think will say "Yes" as well as host coaching calls - they already said "Yes" and should be excited!Hope this helps. Remember, we all just look like we're good, but we fake it till we make it!

I'm there with you now. Why is it that we should be so afraid of a telephone? I set goals for myself with a deadline (ask 5 people for a commitment within the hour) and then I reward myself when I accomplish my goal. My husband it great at prodding me along as well. Sometimes he will set my goal and will hold me accountable.

You definitely are not alone, as you can see! I am the same way, and right now I am trying so hard to get over that. It's very hard, but I learned something that really made hearing no a little bit easier:

NO = Next Opportunity

I have a hard time going out of my comfort zone too and being rejected can just be so discouraging. But remember one thing, they are not saying no to you, they are saying no to the opportunity.

A lot of times I need to work up the courage to call or say something to someone, but in time, it becomes easier, and that one time where you get someone who is just so excited and have been searching for a PC consultant the excitement rises tenfold and each time you become a lot more comfortable.

I agree with what a few of the others have said. Set a goal for yourself, start of small and then work your way up. I started out with calling 3 people a day, and then worked my way up to 5.

And another tip, what's really nice about talking to strangers is that if they say no, you'll never have to deal with them again (usually) so just let it slide and continue on.

I have all of the confidence in you! I know that you can do this. If I can, you can.

what did I do!Okay, I know I was fretting about making a mistake with joining PC. But guess what I did, I had seen the information here about the babies r us pampering mom event on 5/13, so I thought I would be able to set up a display table, have some samples of dip and then a drawing. Oh, but guess what they want me to do a demonstration in front of the whole store and customers!:eek: What did I get myself into.

Cheryl

mom2kr said:
Okay, I know I was fretting about making a mistake with joining PC. But guess what I did, I had seen the information here about the babies r us pampering mom event on 5/13, so I thought I would be able to set up a display table, have some samples of dip and then a drawing. Oh, but guess what they want me to do a demonstration in front of the whole store and customers!:eek: What did I get myself into.

Cheryl

You can do it!!! I have been doing PC for over 2 years and I still get butterflies when I am going to a show or what not. I find that when I get into the swing of things that I have a great time. Is it really that much different than doing a show? Just do what you have to do to be fully prepared and have fun with it...this is a great time to recruit, who knows.,..you could build your dowline just from this, how exciting.

Keep with it!
My biggest hesistation with signing was the "demo-presentations". I didn't think I could do it but I challeneged my self to try it! 5 months later I am loving the whole in home show thing ~suprsingly!

Now my biggest hurdle are making my CC calls for any reason (bookings, recruting, out of the box calls)! I have a HUGE phone phobia but it helps to read these threads to get encouragement from everyone and I liked that response someone stated NO = Next Opportunity move on. And they are not saying no to you, just the opportunity so don't take it personally.

I am trying to challenge myself to making 3 calls a day right now (have yet to actually start) but I know I have to start to get over this fear and hopefully it will become easier each time?? Good luck to you, me and all who have this fear!!

Way to jump right in there!!! I felt the same way in the beginning and actually only told acquaintances that I had started with PC not my close friends at first. Turns out everyone was so receptive, we have a great company and products, so noone wrinkles their noses! My advice is don't overwhelm yourself..if its the phone that bugs you start small...don't stare at a huge list of numbers to call..take it one at a time!!

1. What should I do if I accidentally order the wrong product?

If you made a mistake while placing your order, please contact our customer service team as soon as possible. They will be able to help you cancel or modify your order before it is shipped out.

2. Can I return a product if I realize I don't need it?

Yes, you can return any unused and unopened product within 30 days of purchase for a full refund. Please note that shipping fees and return shipping costs are non-refundable.

3. I received the wrong product, what should I do?

We apologize for any mix-up with your order. Please contact our customer service team and they will assist you with getting the correct product shipped to you as quickly as possible.

4. How long do I have to return a product?

You have 30 days from the date of purchase to return any unused and unopened product for a full refund. After 30 days, returns are subject to our standard return policy.

5. Can I exchange a product for a different one?

Unfortunately, we do not offer direct exchanges at this time. However, you can return the product within 30 days for a full refund and then place a new order for the desired product.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
Chef Kearns
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat