• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant I Really Hate These Levels for Host Special

In summary, the past host gets the $44 SS pan for the level the show is at - which would put the current host over the $550 to be able to get a set. Plus, there are still red flags and pre-levels that make it difficult to take orders.
kam
Staff member
OK, I know I have voiced my opinion on this before...but these levels are NOT simplifying my business.

I have an August Show which is at $514 right now.The PAST host REALLY wants a cookware set so she already found an outside order of over $100. BUT, we still aren't there yet. The PAST host will most likely get the 10" SS if we are at level one ($44) but she would get the SS SET if we are at level 2.

The CURRENT host is fine with staying at level one, but she would probably get a set if we were at Level 2. When I spoke to her last week, she said that whatever orders we had by tonight - would be it. She said she was fine if the show stayed at Level 1. Well, her last order got her to $514.

Here is my problem: At $514, the show is at Level 1. HO has already told my Director that the past host gets the item for the level the show is at. Which would be Level 1. So, the PAST host would get the $44 SS pan. That would put my CURRENT host OVER the $550 and able to get a set!!! Don't you think that would irk my PAST host if she found out?????

PLUS, not only couldn't I take my past host's order at the show, I have had to call her twice already, plus, I will need to call her again to see if she can help the current host get to the $550 Level 2 so she can get the Cookware Set. THEN I am going to need to call her again to get the order (if she finds one) and find out what she wants and give her the total. Geez!

Vent over. (I think) :)

I agree 100%. Plus pre-levels, if some one asked about the Host Specials, I could say with confidence - wow, you get this and that. Now it is like "maybe's" - IF your show is this, you get that and IF your show is at that, you get this. The enthusiasm feels forced vs. natural.

I don't like it either, it is SO confusing!
Let us know how this all plays out...

IIRC, the host special and the past host special DO NOT count towards the total - they are not commissionable sales, which is what the host benefits (and, obviously, our commission) is based on.

So regardless of what the past host orders as her booking benefit, it won't change the show level.

Okay, this has been on my mind also. So I did a little playing around in P3. I have a show coming up with a past host, so put in $71.55 in products, the level 1 special for the past host, (takes the guest sales to 159.55). I only put the host special on the host order and there are no red flags on the show. Then I did it for the 550 level change. 386.55 in commissionable and 576.55 in guest sales and it continues to be red flags free.So it appears the P3 isn't programed like your director said it should be.

SpiritdancerIA said:
IIRC, the host special and the past host special DO NOT count towards the total - they are not commissionable sales, which is what the host benefits (and, obviously, our commission) is based on.

So regardless of what the past host orders as her booking benefit, it won't change the show level.

Not true. Host benefits are based on GUEST sales.

SpiritdancerIA said:

The Past Host special does count towards the show total just not our commission total.

SpiritdancerIA said:

Hosts with guest sales of $550 or more may select TWO cookware pieces or sets from Levels 1 and 2 at 60% off. Hosts may select only one of each item or set. Hosts with guest sales of $150 to $549.99 may select ONE cookware piece from Level 1 at 60% off. To select the August Host Special, you must write the special item number(s) in the “specials” section of
the sales receipt. The Level 1 Monthly Host Special is available to Wedding Registries the month Registry Rewards are redeemed. Registrants may select ONE 60% off item.

The past host from whom the August Show was booked (if the past host’s Show was held on or after Feb. 1, 2009) is eligible to receive their choice of ONE item at 60% off. They may select from the same level(s) available to the current host, based upon guest sales of the current host’s Show.

Guess I took to long to grab those quotes off of the Aug. Host special.

kam said:
OK, I know I have voiced my opinion on this before...but these levels are NOT simplifying my business.

I have an August Show which is at $514 right now.The PAST host REALLY wants a cookware set so she already found an outside order of over $100. BUT, we still aren't there yet. The PAST host will most likely get the 10" SS if we are at level one ($44) but she would get the SS SET if we are at level 2.

The CURRENT host is fine with staying at level one, but she would probably get a set if we were at Level 2. When I spoke to her last week, she said that whatever orders we had by tonight - would be it. She said she was fine if the show stayed at Level 1. Well, her last order got her to $514.

Here is my problem: At $514, the show is at Level 1. HO has already told my Director that the past host gets the item for the level the show is at. Which would be Level 1. So, the PAST host would get the $44 SS pan. That would put my CURRENT host OVER the $550 and able to get a set!!! Don't you think that would irk my PAST host if she found out?????

PLUS, not only couldn't I take my past host's order at the show, I have had to call her twice already, plus, I will need to call her again to see if she can help the current host get to the $550 Level 2 so she can get the Cookware Set. THEN I am going to need to call her again to get the order (if she finds one) and find out what she wants and give her the total. Geez!

Vent over. (I think) :)

Kathleen,

Try this, enter the set that your past host wants. That will take up the guest sales to level 2. Then enter what your host wants. As far as I can tell that is going to work in P3.

I am pretty sure that in your case, Kathleen, that if the past host orders a set (like she wants), she can and the host gets 2 pieces or sets. Try it out in P3.

Hehe, Holly you beat me to it.

niclowther said:
Hehe, Holly you beat me to it.

he he...

I too hate how these Levels on the host specials are worded. It is confusing to hosts (not to mention us!).

lpacker said:
I agree 100%. Plus pre-levels, if some one asked about the Host Specials, I could say with confidence - wow, you get this and that. Now it is like "maybe's" - IF your show is this, you get that and IF your show is at that, you get this. The enthusiasm feels forced vs. natural.

Yes, that's exactly how I feel too!

I think the wording does leave something to be desired. Not to mention, it was very clearly explained to my D that the past host could not order from the higher level if it was her past host booking benefit getting her to that level. In our question to HO, it was about the UM and SS Bowls for July.

You guys are right, I put the set into P3 and it DID NOT flag it. So, even though the show is officially at $514, I guess my past host can order from Level 2.

It is just confusing. So, if the show was at $400 and I added the $190 Cookware set, my Past host could get it????

Bottom line: this is NOT easier.

I have been doing this for 2 years and I still have to think about what I am doing with the host specials - I can't imagine all these new consultants trying to grasp this. I know some consultants in my cluster thought July's special for Past hosts was ANYTHING at 60% off since they mis-understood the wording at the bottom.

kam said:
I think the wording does leave something to be desired. Not to mention, it was very clearly explained to my D that the past host could not order from the higher level if it was her past host booking benefit getting her to that level. In our question to HO, it was about the UM and SS Bowls for July.

You guys are right, I put the set into P3 and it DID NOT flag it. So, even though the show is officially at $514, I guess my past host can order from Level 2.

It is just confusing. So, if the show was at $400 and I added the $190 Cookware set, my Past host could get it????

Bottom line: this is NOT easier.

I have been doing this for 2 years and I still have to think about what I am doing with the host specials - I can't imagine all these new consultants trying to grasp this. I know some consultants in my cluster thought July's special for Past hosts was ANYTHING at 60% off since they mis-understood the wording at the bottom.

Congratulations that it worked for you :)

OTOH, I've been on hold with HO, and specifically asked "The show is at $520, past host gets a PH Special for $44, does the current host get the $550 level in sales or not?" And I was told that, no, the PH special didn't count towards commissionable sales, so the show would stay at level 1.

This makes my head hurt :confused:

I have recently discovered that I was able to enter a past host special on a show that was not booked in P3 before closing the previous show. No links in P3 between the two shows, other than the past host was getting the past host special. That has had me even more confused, since when you close out a show, P3 tells you that without a dated show, the past host benefits won't apply.

I know some consultants in my cluster thought July's special for Past hosts was ANYTHING at 60% off since they mis-understood the wording at the bottom.

There were some that thought this in my cluster also. I know it had me reading it a couple of times.

A girl on my team made a mistake a told her July host she only had to get to $500, so when the show closed out at $520, she thought the hostess could get the bowls. But the show wasn't high enough, she ended up feeling gulity that she gave her the wrong amount and put in an order for herself worth $30 to get it over the $550 mark.

It reminds me of the way some jewelry plans do this. Your show sales have to be $550 and so many orders (usually 10) to get the higher amount in free. At least they don't make us get 10 orders!
I just don't like the two amounts, I think one is good enough. Why change a good thing!

Kelly V.

SpiritdancerIA said:
Congratulations that it worked for you :)OTOH, I've been on hold with HO, and specifically asked "The show is at $520, past host gets a PH Special for $44, does the current host get the $550 level in sales or not?" And I was told that, no, the PH special didn't count towards commissionable sales, so the show would stay at level 1.This makes my head hurt :confused:
You were given wrong info. Host benefits are never based on commissionable sales, always guest sales. The past host order always counts for guest sales.

I too dislike the levels. My complaint is using a different item # for current and past host. If these levels aren't clear cut, easy up front to understand to PC consultants, how are hosts going to get it? Also, I usually have the past host ordering that night at a show. With the levels, I can't get her order until I know what level the host has when I close in a couple of days. I guess I just like simplicity.

run a quick "going going gone" announcement and see if you can get some outside orders on her behalf. you guys (not us Canadians) are losing the Pizza party set - is that correct? Remind people what a great wedding gift that is and perhaps you can get 1 or 2 orders for that.:)

Grrr! July's special drove me CRAZY!

My past host wanted the bowls. Current host did too. But since the show was "only $400" they only qualified for the Mandoline. Neither wanted it. I did find a buyer so my host could at least get to the $400 mark.

I have NO incentive to host a show in October b/c even though I LOVE Forged Cutlery, there is not a single piece in Level 1 that I need!

The jewelry parties make you get 10 order b/c they charge the same outrageous shipping on every order. Ours is lower than theirs and we're shipping STONEWARE.

On the plus side: what I have found is that it has "pushed" some of my hosts who are close to that Level 2 to get a few more orders.

On the negative side: The past host really can't order until the very end of the show for her level. That is a pain.

lockhartkitchen said:
I too dislike the levels. My complaint is using a different item # for current and past host. If these levels aren't clear cut, easy up front to understand to PC consultants, how are hosts going to get it? Also, I usually have the past host ordering that night at a show. With the levels, I can't get her order until I know what level the host has when I close in a couple of days. I guess I just like simplicity.

pkd09 said:
On the plus side: what I have found is that it has "pushed" some of my hosts who are close to that Level 2 to get a few more orders.

On the negative side: The past host really can't order until the very end of the show for her level. That is a pain.

Yes, I would like to be done with the past host's order the night of the show, too. In my mind, each call I am making to a past host to clarify/determine her order is one less call I am making to someone else.

Like I said, I feel there is nothing gained here by talking to my past host 3-4 times in the past week or so. I understand Customer Care, but it seems like I have 2 hosts for this show! Plus, we are talking about 36 extra dollars to get to $550. The extra $8 commission is not worth the extra time now that I have to spend in closing this show in the coming week when I could have closed it this weekend.

JMO.

So far the hosts that I've had have not reached the $550 level for these types of host specials. Even after host coaching them as best I could, and trying to help them think positive, they saw the $550 as unattainable.

Well now that I see I am not the only one that HATES the levels ,

another reason I don't like it is you have to wait on the guests orders then CALL l the past host to get her order because you have to WAIT again for any outside orders so you can see what level your at before you CALL the past host.

HOW can you close a party in a day or so when you have to call the past host to get her order then the host too
HATE IT HATE IT

The thing that I don't like about it is that it creates a different level.

The break for all other benefits is at the $100 mark.

the break for the host bonus is at the $50 mark.

That makes it confusing, and frustrating at times for me and for hosts.

babywings76 said:
So far the hosts that I've had have not reached the $550 level for these types of host specials. Even after host coaching them as best I could, and trying to help them think positive, they saw the $550 as unattainable.

I just had one "potential" host decide not to do a show for September because she wants the DCB, but when they put that on a level on its own, that is EXACTLY what she thought... I can't get that in sales (even after I told her that my average is above that).

lockhartkitchen said:

Your right and then you have to get back with the past host (which is sometimes difficult) and also get a payment from them. They may not want to give you a CC and want to pay with check or cash and you have to wait for that. It is all too much and the other way much easier! I am planning on emailing HO today just to voice my opinion maybe if we do they will think about changing it back??

Kelly V.

I got this from my upline:

I spoke with home office this morning to clarify how the promotion is set
up and I learned something really exciting. If you have a show that for
example is at $450 in sales and the past host wants the cookware set at
60% off ( maybe the 5 piece set at $114) she can order it first and those
sales count toward your host’s guests sales helping her to reach the $550
mark so they can both order sets of cookware! The way that Pampered
Partner is set up it does not require your first host to hit level 2 ($550 in sales ) before it will let you enter a cookware set for the past
host. Your hosts can work together to both get what they want!!! This
was a question that came up last night and I didn’t want to give out bad
information and I also couldn’t find it printed anywhere.

Krista Burson said:
I just had one "potential" host decide not to do a show for September because she wants the DCB, but when they put that on a level on its own, that is EXACTLY what she thought... I can't get that in sales (even after I told her that my average is above that).

I am not even telling my hosts for Sept who want the baker at 60% off about the levels for that very reason. My logic is that if they don't hit that level, they can still get it for a HALF PRICE ITEM at $300 in sales and if the host is really that concerned about a few dollars diff that she would've gotten at the 60% level, I'm gonna throw in the extra to make it 60%. But, I really don't think that my hosts are gonna care if they can get it at 50% instead of 60% with $300 in sales. Maybe you should call you potential host back and let her know that. They can ALWAYS get the DCB for half off ANY month.

Trish in Texas said:
I got this from my upline:

I spoke with home office this morning to clarify how the promotion is set
up and I learned something really exciting. If you have a show that for
example is at $450 in sales and the past host wants the cookware set at
60% off ( maybe the 5 piece set at $114) she can order it first and those
sales count toward your host’s guests sales helping her to reach the $550
mark so they can both order sets of cookware! The way that Pampered
Partner is set up it does not require your first host to hit level 2 ($550 in sales ) before it will let you enter a cookware set for the past
host. Your hosts can work together to both get what they want!!! This
was a question that came up last night and I didn’t want to give out bad
information and I also couldn’t find it printed anywhere.

That was exactly what my Director had called a month ago to clarify with HO. She and I (and other Directors she knew) were wondering if the Level 2 item could help the show get TO level 2 (your scenario above). She was told "NO" - the show had to BE AT the level before the level could be chosen.
So, what you were told is exactly opposite what she was told.

Jeez. If my host or past host doesn't get anymore orders (show stays at $514) and they can STILL get the sets - they are going to wonder why I was pushing them to $550 - it is going to make me look bad!

This is not the first time various consultants have been given different info from HO.

I am not a hater, I am really not, but I really wish they would stop having different levels. I do not like it at all. I hope they go back to having regular specials.

I don't think I can really add to what everyone else has already said.
I understand PC's logic for these levels, but I agree that it can be confusing and definitely frustrating trying to explain to host/past host and getting the show closed out.
I didn't have as many problems in July as I'm having this month. :rolleyes:

kam said:
That was exactly what my Director had called a month ago to clarify with HO. She and I (and other Directors she knew) were wondering if the Level 2 item could help the show get TO level 2 (your scenario above). She was told "NO" - the show had to BE AT the level before the level could be chosen.
So, what you were told is exactly opposite what she was told.

Jeez. If my host or past host doesn't get anymore orders (show stays at $514) and they can STILL get the sets - they are going to wonder why I was pushing them to $550 - it is going to make me look bad!
This is not the first time various consultants have been given different info from HO.

Depends how you 'spin' it. I would call them both (maybe a 3 way call?) and very excitedly tell them you just got clarification on the levels, and you couldn't wait to tell them, because not only is there no longer pressure but they both get what they want!!! Congratulations Host B, for having such a great show. I know you're going to love your new SET of cookware. Thank you so much Host A for helping Host B reach her goal, and I'm thrilled you get the set of cookware you wanted, as well!

pampchefsarah said:
Depends how you 'spin' it. I would call them both (maybe a 3 way call?) and very excitedly tell them you just got clarification on the levels, and you couldn't wait to tell them, because not only is there no longer pressure but they both get what they want!!! Congratulations Host B, for having such a great show. I know you're going to love your new SET of cookware. Thank you so much Host A for helping Host B reach her goal, and I'm thrilled you get the set of cookware you wanted, as well!

Yes, I was thinking about explaining it the way you said...and I am going to try to call them tonight - but only after I call HO to get clarification. Hopefully, hold times are not as long in the evening anymore. So, instead of making NEW customer calls, I am spending a lot of time on something that should be easy...

My only problem with the levels - I guess because several years ago there were always levels for host specials - is the whole issue with the past host having to get the same level as the current host. It doesn't seem fair. She did her job and had her show, now her benefit is based on how hard her friend works. And it makes it impossible for her to order at the show. And I feel bad having to say, "I know you wanted to get such and such for 60% off but Sally didn't get to that level so you can't have it"

Clearly I don't say it quite like that but you get the drift......and then it really becomes a problem when she says, well maybe I can help her, how far away is she and the show isn't even close to the second level.

It's the past host portion of the levels that I find to be a pain.

This has been extremely confusing for our cluster as well. They have done this several times a year in the past, but not 3 months in a row. Too confusing:(

pcsharon1 said:
My only problem with the levels - I guess because several years ago there were always levels for host specials - is the whole issue with the past host having to get the same level as the current host. It doesn't seem fair. She did her job and had her show, now her benefit is based on how hard her friend works. And it makes it impossible for her to order at the show. And I feel bad having to say, "I know you wanted to get such and such for 60% off but Sally didn't get to that level so you can't have it"

Clearly I don't say it quite like that but you get the drift......and then it really becomes a problem when she says, well maybe I can help her, how far away is she and the show isn't even close to the second level.

It's the past host portion of the levels that I find to be a pain.

I had the show on the 7th and would have closed it Wednesday or Thursday. But now, with trying to get to the 2nd level...this show is staying open MUCH longer!

Yes, I agree, for ME, it is the past host portion that is the most troublesome. My current host was very happy at $400 or $500 and OK with Level 1. But, she doesn't want to disappoint her friend (past host) and now we are all scrambling to get her to Level 2. I am sure she wanted to close this past week, too.

First thought- Make sure you guys are expressing your opinion about this to HO. They seem to be very receptive to us about what is working and what ISN'T working in the field. it obviously affects their bottom dollar!Second thought - If you hosts make it to the $500 level, they do still have their 1/2 price options. At the $500 level, they have 2. A $285 set of Exec. Cookware would certainly be BETTER at 60% off for only $114, but 50% off would be $142.50, only $28.50 more. If they really wanted the cookware, paying the $28 more is still a great deal that they'd have to host another show to get it. At least spell out the option for them so they don't overlook it. They likely are forgetting about their 1/2 price options. They may have wanted to use the 1/2 price for something else, but they'd still have the 25% discount they could use towards that.I agree- it is very confusing, the different levels, the different numbers...entering the PHS in P3 and seeing it DOES count towards the level (not the commissionable sales)- so can current host get the level 2 or not.... I think you'll know for sure if your show goes through and doesn't end up being put on hold. :DBut don't just complain about it here- be sure to politely let HO know the difficulties it creates. It puts a bad taste in our host's mouth about hosting...too many "strings attached"...even though WE know it's only one aspect of the host benefit and the rest of it is fabulous.Just my thoughts....now off to fix lunch.
:)

muffetts said:
run a quick "going going gone" announcement and see if you can get some outside orders on her behalf. you guys (not us Canadians) are losing the Pizza party set - is that correct? Remind people what a great wedding gift that is and perhaps you can get 1 or 2 orders for that.:)

We're not losing it--it's being "redesigned."

UPDATE:

I called HO tonight and posed my question as such:

"I have a show for August at $514. That puts the Cookware Level at Level 1. When I add my past host's level 1 choice, it pushes the show to Level 2. Can I change the past host's order to get a Level 2 item?"

The gentleman I spoke to said "Good question - Let me check". He came back on the line and said P3 should allow it since it would recognize the show at Level 2. I said it did not give me a red dot, he said it should be fine.

He was VERY nice, so I took the opportunity to explain my concerns about the Levels for the Host / Past Host. He listened and said he had a meeting later in the week and would mention my concerns. He also said it would be a good idea to put all my concerns in writing and email it to Solutions Center. I plan on getting together my thoughts and putting it in a nice letter to HO.

If you want your voice heard on this, go ahead and email Solutions Center.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP ON THIS!

Interesting, thanks for sharing the update. It sounds like if P3 lets you do it, it is correct. If you feel comfortable, can you post your letter here?

BlessedWifeMommy said:
Interesting, thanks for sharing the update. It sounds like if P3 lets you do it, it is correct.

If you feel comfortable, can you post your letter here?

OK, once I type it, I'll post it here.

1. What are the levels for the host special and how do they impact my business?

The levels for the host special are a way for Pampered Chef to incentivize hosts to have successful shows. The levels are based on the total sales of the show, and the higher the level, the better the host rewards.

2. Can my past host receive the host special for a higher level if my current show reaches that level?

Unfortunately, according to HO, the past host will only receive the host special for the level that the show is currently at. This means that if your current show reaches a higher level, the past host will not receive the rewards for that level.

3. Can I still take orders from my past host during the show?

No, once the show has reached its final level, you cannot take any additional orders from the past host. This means that you will need to contact them separately to see if they are interested in helping the current host reach a higher level.

4. How many times do I need to contact my past host during this process?

It seems that you will need to contact your past host multiple times during this process - to let them know about the show, to ask for their help in reaching a higher level, and to get their order if they find one. This can be time-consuming, but it is important to maintain good communication with your past host.

5. Is there any way to avoid this situation and ensure both hosts receive the rewards they want?

Unfortunately, the levels for the host special are set by HO and cannot be changed. It is important to communicate with both hosts and manage their expectations, but ultimately, the rewards will depend on the total sales of the show. You may want to consider discussing this situation with your Director for further guidance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • esavvymom