• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Continue to Offer French Bread & Oil at Shows in May?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of using bread and olive oil samples to increase sales at cooking shows. The speaker suggests continuing this strategy and also mentions the success of selling seasonings, particularly the Parmesan-Garlic and Sun-Dried Tomato Herb oil dipping seasonings. Other potential uses for the seasonings, such as on popcorn and as rubs for meats, are also mentioned. There is also a suggestion to include sauces, such as the Ginger Wasabi and Pineapple Rum, with cream cheese and crackers as a recipe for increased sales. The cost for these samples is considered minimal compared to the potential sales they can generate.

Do you think I should continue to sample the bread and oil dippings past April?

• Absolutely yes!

Votes: 41 74.5%
  • No, I wouldn't too much of an expense.

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Undecided whether it would help or not.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Who cares, do what you want! :)

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
PampMomof3
Gold Member
and wondered if you thought I should continue to do it or not. At all my shows in April, I brought a loaf of french bread and a bottle of olive oil to all my shows to sample the oil dippings. It seemed to work to get some people up to the $60 mark. I wanted to ask you do you think I should continue to do it in May to possibly get them to spend a little extra? The bread is only $2 per show and I have 9 cooking shows booked.

Here's my top sell list since March 1st.

1913 Season's Best® Recipe Collection 23
2583 Mix 'N Chop 21
2578 Garlic Peeler & Slicer Set 17
9805 Parmesan-Garlic Oil Dipping Seasoning 16
GQ88 Chef's Silicone Basting Brush 13
GQ90 Parmesan-Garlic Oil Dipping Seasoning 12
2416 Pineapple Wedger 12
2585 Food Chopper 10
GQ91 Sun-Dried Tomato Herb Oil Dipping Seasoning 9
9806 Sun-Dried Tomato Herb Oil Dipping Seasoning 9
1258 Quikut Paring Knives 9
9860 Asian Seasoning Mix 8
9722 Smoky Barbecue Rub 8
2758 Smooth-Edge Can Opener 7
2730 Ice Cream Dipper 7
2651 Twixit! Clip Combo Pack 7
1642 All-Purpose Spreader 7
2955 Chef's Tongs 6
2622 Mini-Serving Spatula 6
2495 Can Strainer 6
2427 Apple Wedger 6
1114 Kernel Cutter 6
1059 Color Coated Santoku Knife 6

Just look at the numbers of those seasonings that you actually SOLD, not just the free ones. That's a lot for a $2 investment per show. And if your shows are anything like mine, you can actually get 2 shows from a single loaf of bread, which takes your additional investment down to $1 per show. I think these seasonings are something that people need to taste. I also mention that I use them as rubs for chicken and pork (and I think they'd be good on fish, too).

Don't forget that you can sprinkle either on popcorn. Delicious! I'm with Ann. That's a minimal investment with big results.

chefann said:
Just look at the numbers of those seasonings that you actually SOLD, not just the free ones. That's a lot for a $2 investment per show. And if your shows are anything like mine, you can actually get 2 shows from a single loaf of bread, which takes your additional investment down to $1 per show.

I think these seasonings are something that people need to taste. I also mention that I use them as rubs for chicken and pork (and I think they'd be good on fish, too).

Wow - mine are nothing like yours! I've been having my hosts buy the Pillsbury bread, and most of them have gone through 2 loaves!

I agree that people need to taste them. I've sold a ton of them, and like Ann, I talk about other uses. I love them on Roasted veggies, and the garlic-parm is great on popcorn, too. Also, for the people who comment that they don't like olive oil and bread, I let them know that the seasonings are also great mixed into some softened butter.

I think a $2 investment per show isn't bad. For 9 shows, that is an $18 investment....and look at what you can get from it!

You didn't ask, but I would say to bring the sauces, too. You can provide one brick of cream cheese, and pour the Ginger Wasabi over one half, and the Pineapple Rum over the other half. Like the dipping seasonings, the sauces need to be tasted to be appreciated!

pampchefsarah said:
You didn't ask, but I would say to bring the sauces, too. You can provide one brick of cream cheese, and pour the Ginger Wasabi over one half, and the Pineapple Rum over the other half. Like the dipping seasonings, the sauces need to be tasted to be appreciated!

I definitely agree Sarah. I should start doing that but that requires crackers to go along with it. Right? That would be more of an expense but it may be a great one. Hmm, decisions.....

PampMomof3 said:
I definitely agree Sarah. I should start doing that but that requires crackers to go along with it. Right? That would be more of an expense but it may be a great one. Hmm, decisions.....

I actually add the cream cheese and crackers to the shopping list for my host. ;) After all, it's a recipe, and the extra sales help his/her totals.

PampMomof3 said:

Or pretzels...pretzels are cheaper and go further!

I've been doing crackers and pretzels. I actually like the GW sauce as a dip for pretzels. (without the cream cheese)

ChefBeckyD said:
Wow - mine are nothing like yours! I've been having my hosts buy the Pillsbury bread, and most of them have gone through 2 loaves!

I usually use the Italian loaf from the bakery at Meijer, and I cut it into 1/2" cubes.

great ideas!!

I have been making the beer bread in the mini loaf pan and taking one mini loaf per show (I freeze the others till I need them). I have been selling both the bread and the dipping seasonings, and a couple mini loaf pans!!! I started doing this in March, and what I noticed is people who tried it at March shows, made sure they had a $60 order so they could get it for free at April shows. I incorporate it into my interactive shows by having them dice up the loaf with the bread knife, and prepare the dipping seasonings in the bamboo bowls. For my May shows, I am switching over to the dipping set from the outlet. Gives me the opportunity to talk about the outlet!

ChefBeckyD said:

Like Ann, I buy bread from the grocery store bakery and cut it into cubes. I can get two shows from one large loaf as well.

That Pillsbury stuff is expensive!

pampchefsarah said:
I actually add the cream cheese and crackers to the shopping list for my host. ;) After all, it's a recipe, and the extra sales help his/her totals.

I am doing this for my May shows--have the host buy the stuff. I figure I'm already spending enough on the sauce. :)

Maybe I'll do that then. I just hate that the sauces have to be refrigerated.

PampMomof3 said:
Maybe I'll do that then. I just hate that the sauces have to be refrigerated.

Yeah, well, learn from my experience - definitely refrigerate those sauces once they're open! Even as fast as we were going through mine, the Pineapple Rum still got moldy sitting in the cupboard (and, yes, I did see it says to refrigerate after opening, I just don't always agree).

They can, however, be unrefrigerated for a time. I'll take mine out of the refrigerator as I'm getting ready to walk out the door, and replace them immediately upon arriving home. However, during the show they're on the table along with the dressed cream cheese and crackers, so guests can read the labels.

I have the host buy the bread. I just add it to the recipe list and let her know that I'll be bringing some oil dipping seasonings so she doesn't have to worry about other snacks.

And honestly - I don't even do the cream cheese for the sauces. I bring my bamboo snack bowls and put the oil dips into 2 of them and the 2 sauces in the other 2 and I still sell the sauces. I just let them know that this is to taste, and then tell them the other ways you can use it.

Sounds like a great idea. I think I may just do this at my next show....

Ask the host to buy the bread, you provide the seasonings and olive oil. Let me the hosts choice.

Do you think these seasonings would work well with rice? People around here eat a lot of rice and there's always problems with what to do with the leftovers.

vonfirmath said:
Do you think these seasonings would work well with rice? People around here eat a lot of rice and there's always problems with what to do with the leftovers.

I love the Ginger Wasabi on rice

Yeah, well, learn from my experience - definitely refrigerate those sauces once they're open! Even as fast as we were going through mine, the Pineapple Rum still got moldy sitting in the cupboard (and, yes, I did see it says to refrigerate after opening, I just don't always agree).

OHHH. I need to go tto my trunk...its 90 outside and I left them in there from yesterdays show w/ the clean dishes :yuck:

nancycookspc said:

OHHH. I need to go tto my trunk...its 90 outside and I left them in there from yesterdays show w/ the clean dishes :yuck:

Uh oh!! :cry:

Kristi Starducci, did you see the latest "good news" about sampling the spices?

Di_Can_Cook said:
Kristi Starducci, did you see the latest "good news" about sampling the spices?

Ha! I did and I thought about my story too!! It's definitely the best way to go!! Thanks Di!

how much seasoning do you add to how much oil??

gailz2 said:
how much seasoning do you add to how much oil??

The recipe is on the side of the jar, although I find you can just about double the oil, if you let it sit so that the seasoning infuses it well.

Thanks, Ann. I haven't tried it yet, but have a party in 4 hours where it will be sampled.

PamperedK said:
I have the host buy the bread. I just add it to the recipe list and let her know that I'll be bringing some oil dipping seasonings so she doesn't have to worry about other snacks.

This is actually what I've been doing too...they honestly feel that I am bringing the best part, all they have to provide is the bread and oil...and so far at each show people have bought them. I tell them it's the perfect "permanent" appetizer for unexpected guests they can always keep on hand without spoiling.

1. Can I still offer French bread and oil at shows in May if it's a summer month?

Yes, you can definitely continue to offer French bread and oil at shows in May. While it may be a summer month, French bread and oil is a popular and versatile appetizer that can be enjoyed year-round.

2. Is it still a good idea to offer French bread and oil if I have guests with dietary restrictions?

Absolutely! French bread and oil is a simple and customizable dish that can accommodate a variety of dietary restrictions. You can offer gluten-free bread or different types of oils for guests who may have allergies or dietary preferences.

3. Will offering French bread and oil take away from the focus on the main product being demonstrated?

No, offering French bread and oil as an appetizer can actually enhance the overall experience for guests. It allows them to sample a tasty dish while waiting for the main product to be prepared, making the demonstration more enjoyable.

4. Is French bread and oil too time-consuming to prepare at shows?

No, French bread and oil is a quick and easy dish to prepare. You can use pre-made ingredients such as pre-sliced bread and pre-mixed oils to save time. Plus, it can be prepared ahead of time and kept warm in a Pampered Chef product, making it even more convenient.

5. Can I offer a different type of bread besides French bread?

Yes, you can definitely offer different types of bread with your French bread and oil. Options such as sourdough, ciabatta, or even gluten-free bread are all great alternatives that can add variety to the dish.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PampMomof3
  • Buy Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
chefkathy
  • crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefann
  • babywings76