• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Keep My Cooking Shows From Canceling?

In summary, the person is having a difficult time booking shows for September and is looking for advice. They suggest making calls, following up with past guests, and stressing the great past host discount.
DZmom
I started September out with 6 Cooking shows and 2 catalog shows. I'm now down to 3 Cooking Shows and 2 catalog shows. My own show tonight was a flop too! I collected 118.5 in orders today via email, but only had 1 person call to RSVP! I called everyone I could think of and nothing! The orders came from the email blast I sent out this morning. I'm at a lose as to how to keep these people on my calendar. I was very excited about this month and now I'm just very depressed. I had a great spring and early summer, but I've not had a Cooking show since July 14th and I'm starting to worry. I submitted over $900 last month from stuff that was held over from July, but this has got to stop. I NEED THIS BIZ TO START PRODUCING INCOME AGAIN. MY FAMILY CAN'T AFFORD FOR ME TO KEEP SPENDING MONEY MAILING OUT PACKETS AND STUFF TO HOSTS, ONLY TO HAVE THEM KEEP CANCELLING!

Someone, please, help me figure something out. I've tried everything I can think of!

Hi Donna,

You can try making calls; the 24 in 24 seemed to do a lot of good for a lot of people.

Also, go through all your past slips and call anyone- follow up? Do they like what they ordered? Do they need recipes? Ideas? Etc? Then tell them about the host benefits and see if they are interested in hosting a show.

I called everyone with the September special. I just said... the special this month is so great, I want to let all past guests know about it...

Good luck and hang in there... be aggressive.... it will all come in time... you have made it this far!!!

Don't forget; fundraisers, wedding registries, fairs, bazaars... host your own show in November - get ppl in the mood for spending for the holidays!!!

You are doing great!!!
Jaye

Hey Jaye! Thanks for all the advice. I booked my September by doing the 24 in 24 and going through my DPDS. I've called over over 100 in the last month. I do have a 3 day bazaar scheduled for the first weekend in October that I'm hoping will produce a few leads. My entire August cancelled and now half of my September. It's just very discouraging.

I had 3 of my 4 September shows cancel on me in one week! I was so bummed!! Then I got on the phone only to hear 12 "nos" in about 2 hours - it was almost cause for depression!! It was my first experience with a "slump" and I didn't like it. But like everyone told me, it does pick back up - maybe slowly, but I do have alot on the books now (3 new for Sept & 6 for Oct). This week, I was so excited because I talked a catalog show into being a home show, only to leave with $98 in orders!! But you know what? My excitement (mostly at doing a HOME show - didn't do one since Aug 4th) was so evident that I got 2 bookings out of the 4 people there! (right now she is almost at $400 though) I think consistancy is the key - just stay with it. I don't know about the cacellations - maybe put one of the letters "this is a business" to me - the one about if you cancel please give a 2 week notice, etc. in your Host packets? Sorry I can't help much - but I felt the same way about 2 weeks ago.
Joanne

ChefinHarmony said:
I had 3 of my 4 September shows cancel on me in one week! I was so bummed!! Then I got on the phone only to hear 12 "nos" in about 2 hours - it was almost cause for depression!! It was my first experience with a "slump" and I didn't like it. But like everyone told me, it does pick back up - maybe slowly, but I do have alot on the books now (3 new for Sept & 6 for Oct). ... Sorry I can't help much - but I felt the same way about 2 weeks ago.
Joanne

I remember that http://chefsuccess.com/showthread.php?t=10838 and http://chefsuccess.com/showthread.php?t=10727 where people gave you tons of ideas/suggestions.

On this thread http://www.chefsuccess.com/showthread.php?t=10498 we came up with lots of ways to get hosts excited for september and if they did an e-show it could still close this month. And when talking to the hostess play up the great Past Host Discount: 60% off a knife in October or baboo cutting board/roasting pan/carving set in November if she gets someone to book a show off of her show. I'm attaching a flyer someone else did which encourages a show hostess to get 6 months of bookings.

Other things you could do: Offer to do a fundraiser for any non-profit/religious organizations in your area, hold an open house for your "neighborhood", put together a "guys only show" for november (holiday gift shopping). I think there are threads on all these topics in the last few days/week.

Attachments

• DoYouLOVEaBargain9--10-2006ver2[1].doc
    934.5 KB · Views: 274
Thank you for posting all my past threads (I'm not exactly sure how to do that yet) but YES you ALL helped me fill my calendar back up!! I truly appreciated the support!!
Joanne

ChefinHarmony said:
Thank you for posting all my past threads (I'm not exactly sure how to do that yet) but YES you ALL helped me fill my calendar back up!! I truly appreciated the support!!
Joanne

If you click on your name (or someone else's) you go to your/their public profile, one of the options you have is "Find all threads started by", find the thread you are looking for, and then simply copy the address in the address bar & paste it into the thread you are commenting on.

Try a booking blitz, when you make your phone calls let the caller know you're in a contest, sometimes the caller gets excited for you and will book that way too :) I spent a ton of $$ about a month ago to make cool promo items and haven't had the time, my reg. job is extremely demanding, but my first home show really has me psyched, I'm going to do another show which booked off the first one. I'm trying to get excited however when I was in different DSA this same person didn't have but 2 or 3 show up for her show :( She seems much more excited this time and her family is going to boost her sales too.

Hopefully,

it will get better soon.

I've found with PC I haven't put forth much effort and it's really paying off for me. Maybe you're trying too hard??? I'd like to do this FT but somehow worry what if?? like your circumstances. Hang in there and I'm sure you'll get leads and more sales soon!

Liz

Donna,

I know exactly how you feel. Every so often it seems that we run into a string of hosts who just don't get it. They either cancel OR WORSE refuse to tell you that they aren't doing the show.

I have found that when that happens I need to sit back, take a breath, and let it go. When I first started my prayer was "If this is meant to be, show me how it will work" and now it is "If I am to continue this, be at my side".

For the last several months (since May) my cancel rate has been VERY high no matter WHAT I do. My total sales have dropped and so have those of my team - some even stopped selling all together. Not putting me in a happy place. I think a big part of it is the rise in gas prices. We all only have so much money and people see our products as luxury (even though they will go to Walmart and buy something inferior again and again that they could buy once from us (ending up spending LESS money...).

What I'm doing: I have SET business hours. If I am not doing a show I am calling people - many are still saying no or later but I am making it all about THEM. I am making 3-5 contacts a day. I have revamped what I do at shows and am working as close to my upcoming hosts as they allow me to keep them excited. I am also using the season to promote the shows as entertaining the friends opportunities and really working on getting the hosts to suggest to their friends that it's the perfect opportunity to do their gift shopping.

Have faith, Donna! Hang in there. You will weather this time!!!

Donna, I feel your pain! I think this month is hard with everyone getting back into their routines...school & all the other activities that start this time of year. My girls also have dance, kids club at church, and girl scouts...
I started the month with 8 cooking shows & 2 catty shows. Now I have 5 cooking (one of which was last Sat & noone showed up! That's a whole new thread though-never has happened to me before!) People have been rescheduling left & right. I'm just looking to the future though; got 6 so far for Oct, with a few more to call.
I would suggest if someone cancels on you, to use that time you would have been working anyway, and make customer care calls. Check up on people from a few months ago & see how they're liking their products.
Hang in there---IT WILL GET BETTER!:)

Donna,

Sorry this has been such a frustrating month! I know one thing I have recently started is sending out my hostesses postcards for them. Yes, it does cost me extra money because I am covering the postage but this way I know that they have been sent. I think a big reason people cancel is that they have no commitment to the show. Usually meaning they have not actually sent out invites. By sending them for the host at least you know that part was done. The other reason might be fear of noone showing up. Again by sending the cards you can ask when they cancel what date they would like to reschedule to and offer to notify their friends of the change in date.

Things are sure to start looking up. Just make the most of those remaining shows!

Michele

I've been in direct sales for over 30 years, and September has always been THE toughest month for rearrangements. When hosts book in July and August for September, they don't know what the children's school and sports schedules are going to be etc. You really have to overbook, and then keep in as close contact with them as you can. Try offering them an extra incentive to keep their original date when you first schedule their date.

Sally Grybush
Independent Pampered Chef Consultant
Waukesha, Wisconsin

I was very frustrated by that whole process recently too, and I thought I have to keep spending money to make money...but when i quit spending money to mail packets and started meeting with the Host in person for Host Coaching and giving here the REAL meat and potatoes of her host kit at the meeting...I found my cancellations QUIT. I mean QUIT! NO MORE CANCELLATIONS. It will rarely happen that they cancel if we meet in person. I have fun, they have fun, we develop a partnership and it is cheaper to meet her for coffee and pay for both of us than to mail the packet.

Meeting with some of my host's in person is IMPOSSIBLE! Several of my hosts live over an hour away. I do meet with those in town, though.

1. How can I stay motivated when I feel discouraged?

One way to stay motivated is to set realistic goals for yourself. Break down your larger goals into smaller, achievable ones and celebrate each time you reach one. It's also helpful to have a support system or an accountability partner to keep you on track. Remember to be kind to yourself and celebrate your progress, even if it's small.

2. What are some ways to boost my confidence and self-esteem?

One way to boost your confidence is to practice positive self-talk. Instead of focusing on your mistakes or shortcomings, remind yourself of your strengths and accomplishments. Surround yourself with positive and supportive people, and engage in activities that make you feel good about yourself.

3. How can I overcome fear of failure?

One strategy is to reframe your thoughts about failure. Instead of seeing it as a negative outcome, think of it as a learning experience and an opportunity for growth. Set realistic expectations for yourself and focus on the process rather than the end result. Remember that failure is a natural part of the learning process and can ultimately lead to success.

4. What can I do when I feel overwhelmed and stressed?

When feeling overwhelmed, it's important to take a step back and prioritize. Make a to-do list and tackle one task at a time. Take breaks and engage in activities that help you relax and destress, such as exercise, meditation, or spending time with loved ones. Don't be afraid to ask for help or delegate tasks if needed.

5. How can I maintain a positive attitude during challenging times?

One way is to focus on the things you can control and let go of the things you can't. Practice gratitude and remind yourself of the things you are thankful for. Surround yourself with positive and supportive people who can lift your spirits. Remember that challenges are temporary and you have the strength to overcome them.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ValM2010
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • BeckyC5830
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
jenniwest04
Replies