1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: I need help with Grilled Chicken Penne Al Fresco

1. jj16

jj16 Member Gold Member

I have a show in a week. I've done this recipe before but it was a lot better the last couple of times I did it. The only thing I changed was I used whole wheat pasta. It really seemed bland - not enough flavor for me. Even though the recipe doesn't call for it I also use Sun-Dried Tomato spice and it still seemed bland to me. Does anyone use any other kind of spices or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

jj16:)

Dec 3, 2009
  2. dannyzmom

dannyzmom Legend Member Gold Member

I double the parmesan cheese and I add a tablespoon of Rosemary Herb Seasoning

Dec 3, 2009
  3. pamperedlinda

pamperedlinda Legend Member Gold Member

I added fresh mushrooms to it - put them in with the pasta to cook. I also add some greek or italian seasoning. Also extra Parm is a must!

4. Chef Kearns

Chef Kearns Legacy Member Gold Member

I got the same results when using Whole Wheat pasta. I just use regular for this recipe. It is very good! The only thing I've ever added to it was fresh spinach at the end. I let it wilt down after cooking.

Dec 3, 2009
  5. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

I cook the chicken in the grill pan, coated with the sun dried tomato dipping spice. Everyone loves it!

Dec 3, 2009
  6. Nfldfran

Nfldfran Member

I use Italian seasoning; fresh mushrooms; fresh tomato cut in small pieces and lots and lots of parmesan. We love it! I let it stay in the micro for about 30 min.
    Diane

Dec 3, 2009
  7. I've actually found leaving out the chicken (making it Penne Al Fresco) allows the tomatoes, garlic and basil to really shine through. The chicken absorbs a bit of this and I find the recipe to boring with the meat in it. Everyone who has tasted both versions agrees with me and prefers when I leave out the chicken. It's a GREAT vegetarian dish to do at your shows.

I also put in a few extra cherry tomatoes a little and leave out the wine so there is less liquid. :chef:

Dec 5, 2009
  8. pamscookingshows

pamscookingshows Novice Member

I think it is much better with the garlic done with the garlic press than the sliced garlic!

9. jj16

jj16 Member Gold Member

Thanks for all the help. I tried it again and I also use pressed instead of sliced garlic. I used both sun-dried tomato and italian and I didn't use whole wheat pasta I just used the regular and it was awesome. jj16

Dec 6, 2009
Have something to add?