• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cookie Press: How Do I Use It Properly?

In summary, the Cookie Press is supposed to be used to make cookies, however, Donna was having trouble using it. Donna shared that she printed off the recipe and gave it to everyone that bought a Cookie Press. She also said that hers is still in the box and she would like to hear the answer to how to use the Cookie Press too.
DMB75
How in the world do you use the Cookie Press? I got it to make Thanksgiving and Christmas cookies, today's my first day trying to use it and I can't do it. I've put the dough in it and squeeze the trigger twice, but the dough just stays there at the end. How is the dough suppose to come off the cookie press onto the backing stone? Are you suppose to cut it off? What am I doing wrong?

Please help!
Donna

I haven't tried it but i know there are some great tips on here if you search under files. I have printed these off and passed on to everyone that has bought a cookie press and it seems to work.

Mine is still in the box. I would like to hear the answer too!

Attached is the recipe I always use... I've never had any problems with this recipe. DO NOT REFRIGERATE THE DOUGH! It will make it like cement and you'll never get it out! Also, be sure your butter is room temperature! Good luck!

Attachments

• Best Ever Spritz Cookies.doc
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,624
  • Best Ever Chocolate Spritz Cookies.doc
    70.5 KB · Views: 917
Here's what you do.

Start by making the recipe that's in the Celebrate cookbook for all-occasion cookies. It is the one that taught me the temperature and consistancy that is needed. Do not chill the dough, in fact if it starts feeling stiff in the press (remove it from the press)and microwave it for a few seconds to bring the temperature back down. The consistancy needs to be like that of play dough. Once you get the feel of it you'll understand.

Recipe:

1 box white cake mix
2 3/4 cups flour
Combine and whisk to remove any lumps.

Melt 2 cubes of butter in microwave for 1 minute-1minute 15 seconds (until just melted. Cut 2 more cubes of butter into 1 Tbsp. pieces and stir into melted butter. Let sit 3-5 minutes and then stir to melt remaining butter until creamy. Stir into dry ingredients all at once. Knead until you have a paly dough consistancy. Fill cookie press 2/3 full (try a star shape until you are better at it - that kind of shape is easiest - I used #4). Press onto COOL stone. I then pressed remaining dough onto parchment so that I could do it when the dough was still the right temperature. Bake the cookies as directed.

I have not had a bit of a problem since I have done it this way. I have the recipe on my website if you need more details.

You have to keep clicking the trigger until the dough gets all the air pockets pressed out.
The first few cookies are usually toss-backs, then the pressure gets even and they press out with just one click.

Here are some cookie-press files I have:

Attachments

• COOKIE PRESS RECIPES.doc
    52 KB · Views: 1,343
  • COOKIE PRESS TIPS.doc
    26 KB · Views: 1,432
Does anyone want a Cookie Press? It's easier for me to use cookie cutters! LOL I'll trade it for something. :)

DMB75 said:
Does anyone want a Cookie Press? It's easier for me to use cookie cutters! LOL I'll trade it for something. :)

Don't give it away yet! My fool proof recipe is the 3-ingredient peanutbutter recipe I found years ago. No mess, use med scoop to load. When you get it, you will be soooo happy! Don't use warm stone (parchment or 2nd stone after 1sdt batch)

Attachments

• ;) Peanut Butter Blossoms.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,100
Alright Susan :)

I'll give it a try next time I make cookies.

One of my guest at a show shared that she greases the inside of the press. Once she did that she nevers has any problems.

My problem is the dough doesn't come out of the press and onto the cookie sheet. Does the dough need to be runny so it just comes out? How do you get each cookie to nicely go onto the sheet? I've read the helpful instructions that people have posted, but my cookies still don't come apart into nice little cookies. I had to use a knife to cut each cookie away and I know that's not what you are suppose to do.

I'm going to try a couple of the recipes that people have posted. But I used my favorite sugar cookie recipe and it didn't work at all.

Make sure you have the disc in facing the right direction - that will definintely affect how the dough pulls off.The dough shouldn't be runny, but it's definitely soft.

I'd think that a sugar cookie recipe may be too thick. It's been a while since I made spritzes (which is what they usually term cookies that come from a press - I still have an old fashioned tin press) but it's a different consistency and once you get it, they press really well. Temperature of dough and pan are key though... but once you get the rhythm going they're downright fun!

start out with a peanut butter cookie recipe. since it's stickier you should have less problems. make sure the stone isn't too warm, i've had issues with that in the past. i love, love, love my cookie press. i use it at least once a month, so i wish you luck!

I also have the problem of the dough not coming off the press. Should I chill a stone to put my parchment on and use a different one to bake on? Would that help it to stick to the pachment and not the press?

Thanks for all these tips. I have fought with my press for years and HATE it...I have alot of customers who love it and lots more interested in it and it's hard for me to sell since I haven't had success with it, it drives me crazy. But I am not ready to give up! I will try these tips and hope I fall in love :)

This is my page, I've had a lot of trouble also. I'm going to try again with the tips on here. It's hard for me to sell something I'm not happy with. I want everyone to love it as much as I believe it, or I don't sell it.

Make sure you have the disc in facing the right direction - that will definintely affect how the dough pulls off.

Oh, yeah I forgot. This step is key. If you look at the discs, they have angles like scissor blades also have. If they are inserted backwards, it doesn't work.

My Cookie Press just came in the mail yesterday and I was so excited to use it. Now I'm hesitant. I hope I have good luck with it! Thanks for all the tips.Tina

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that has had problems. :) I think I'm going to try a different recipe today and see who that works. Thanks so much for everyone that has given advice here. You guys are a big help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Donna

I love my cookie press. I just use refrigerator sugar cookie and refrigerator peanutbutter cookie dough. I did it at a show Sat. and then I was craving them, so I did them for my family (ok, really for me) Sat. night.

Not all of the discs work with each kind of dough. I have started making notes about which discs work for which dough and keep them right in the box. And, as someone stated before, the first 2-6 cookies will need to be peeled of and the dough used again later. Also, the dough can't be cold. The wreath and the Christmastree and #4 work really well for me.

It take a little practice, but it does work. And the file "cookie press tips" has a great fudge recipe. I posted pix of the fudge I made with the cookie press a few weeks ago.

ok, so my husband is the one that does our cookie press, i flunked it. but i went to a directors show and she used it. i though this girl is crazy, becasue this thing doesn't work. but she did the PB blossoms recipe that was posted and it was so easy.

her trick was before you pull up the press give a quick turn. well i just did this recipe with the kids. my cookies turned out PERFECT. i woudl totally do this at a show as an extra recipe to sell this press.

good luck

teri

DMB75 said:
How in the world do you use the Cookie Press? I got it to make Thanksgiving and Christmas cookies, today's my first day trying to use it and I can't do it. I've put the dough in it and squeeze the trigger twice, but the dough just stays there at the end. How is the dough suppose to come off the cookie press onto the backing stone? Are you suppose to cut it off? What am I doing wrong?

Please help!
Donna

Loving the cake mix recipe and the STAR shape! It is so cute and works great! The butterfly shape is tricky but cute when it comes out.

My cookies seem too big to me though - any thoughts to why? I think they are expanding. I'm going to try the chocolate cake mix ones next.

Question: Sprinkles before or after baking?

So glad you started this thread. I have several people ask me about the Cookie Press and since I've never used one (ours or anyone's) I can never help them. I've heard that they are a little tricky and you either love it or hate it. I'm planning to order one on my neighbor's show next week and get it on sale and with her discount.

So, keep this thread going and post your best dough recipes please. If we get enough recipes, maybe we can make a nice collection of them.

its_me_susan said:
My cookies seem too big to me though - any thoughts to why? I think they are expanding. I'm going to try the chocolate cake mix ones next.
Our cookie press makes cookies that are larger than other presses. They need to expand some in order for the parts of the designs to start sticking together. If all the parts are already touching before you bake them, then you're doing too many clicks per cookie.

Cookie Press TipsWhen making your dough for the cookie press, weigh the flour instead of measuring - especially the cake mix recipe (see cookie booklet attached). Also, a few disks require more "clicks" to make the cookie look right.
Disk #1 = 1 1/2 clicks
Disk #2 = 2 clicks
Disk #11 = 1 clicks
Disk #12 = 1 1/2 clicks

Hope this helps! Lastly, parchment paper allows to mass produce cookies! I love baking cookies, and it might border on a holiday obsession...is there a group for cookie baking-aholics?! (at least the good news is after I eat a few I'm good)

Attachments

• Cookie Booklet.pdf
    703.6 KB · Views: 1,123
Last edited:
missyciccolella said:
When making your dough for the cookie press, weigh the flour instead of measuring - especially the cake mix recipe (see cookie booklet attached). Also, a few disks require more "clicks" to make the cookie look right.
Disk #1 = 1 1/2 clicks
Disk #2 = 2 clicks
Disk #11 = 11 clicks
Disk #12 = 1 1/2 clicks

Hope this helps! Lastly, parchment paper allows to mass produce cookies! I love baking cookies, and it might border on a holiday obsession...is there a group for cookie baking-aholics?! (at least the good news is after I eat a few I'm good)
Another tip about the flour:

Always scoop the flour into the measuring cup to avoid packing it and getting too much flour when doing pastries, cookies, cakes... Since I started doing this I have had great success. I have never weighed my flour but have heard that tip. I think it's a perfect solution for a new baker so she/he can get a better idea of how to measure that ingredient. More is not always better but you do need enough.

missyciccolella said:
When making your dough for the cookie press, weigh the flour instead of measuring - especially the cake mix recipe (see cookie booklet attached). Also, a few disks require more "clicks" to make the cookie look right.
Disk #1 = 1 1/2 clicks
Disk #2 = 2 clicks
Disk #11 = 11 clicks
Disk #12 = 1 1/2 clicks

Is this right?? Eleven clicks?? :confused:

BethCooks4U said:
Is this right?? Eleven clicks?? :confused:
NO NO NO!:eek: That would make a HUGE cookie though! LOL It should be Disk #11 = 1 click - thanks for catching that!

pckrissy said:
Thanks for all these tips. I have fought with my press for years and HATE it...I have alot of customers who love it and lots more interested in it and it's hard for me to sell since I haven't had success with it, it drives me crazy. But I am not ready to give up! I will try these tips and hope I fall in love :)

I'm with you! Hoping for love for this item. I am trying it again this weekend. I always avoid questions about this item at all costs since I to have trouble with it. Heres hoping for the best!
Schel

:) Hello everyone:) I am so glad I joined this website...you all have so many great ideas..:) I thought I was the only one who left mine in the box...I tried and tried to manuever that crazy thing...finally my cookies looked like a three year old made them...I laughed so hard I cried:eek: My husband of course ate them anyway...thanks for all the great tips..maybe my cookie press can get some air time now...

I still need help - my neighbor and I tried the peanut butter blossoms yesterday - I was practicing for a cookie exchange show this Saturday and I thought I could do a batch at the show.

I barely got enough to bring as samples...

We couldn't get the dough to release from the press and stay on the stone or parchment paper. I would love to get this to work - but how do you do it? We had to go through re-filling the barrel about five times! I would love to be able to just fill it and go...

HELP!

Just get some refrigerator peanutbutter cookie dough and let it sit at room temperature. It works well with the wreath and the christmas tree and #3 & 4.

I just got my cookie press yesterday and I don't remember having this much trouble with it when I borrowed my directors last year. I am so glad that I went back to check this thread and get these wonderful tips. I am going to try again tomorrow!

It also works best on a cool stone. I recommend using more than one stone to bake cookies with the press. Once the stone is hot, they don't stick well.

lacychef said:
It also works best on a cool stone. I recommend using more than one stone to bake cookies with the press. Once the stone is hot, they don't stick well.
Press the cookies onto parchment paper and then slide the parchment paper onto the stone once the previous batch comes out...this way you can mass produce cookies easily and fast.

How in the world do you use the Cookie Press?

Using a cookie press may seem tricky at first, but with some practice and following these steps, you'll be making beautiful cookies in no time!

I got it to make Thanksgiving and Christmas cookies, today's my first day trying to use it and I can't do it.

Don't worry, it takes some time to get used to using a cookie press. Make sure to read the instructions and practice with a small amount of dough first before making a large batch.

I've put the dough in it and squeeze the trigger twice, but the dough just stays there at the end.

If the dough is not coming out of the cookie press, it could be due to the dough being too hard or the cookie press not being assembled correctly. Make sure the dough is soft enough to easily come out of the press and that all parts of the press are securely attached.

How is the dough suppose to come off the cookie press onto the backing stone?

The dough should come out of the cookie press in the shape of the design you have chosen. It may require some gentle tapping or twisting of the press to ensure the dough fully releases from the press onto the baking stone.

Are you suppose to cut it off? What am I doing wrong?

No, you should not need to cut the dough off of the cookie press. If the dough is not coming out properly, it could be due to the dough being too soft or the cookie press not being assembled correctly. Try adjusting the dough consistency or reassembling the press before attempting again.

Please help!

If you are still having trouble using your cookie press, don't hesitate to reach out to our customer service team for further assistance. They will be happy to guide you through the process and troubleshoot any issues you may be having. Happy baking!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jeanlewis13
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Chef Bobby
  • Products and Tips
Replies