• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant I Need Advice-How to Handle This Host...(Sorry, Long...)

In summary, the host contacted the guest to ask about the status of their order, and the guest replied that they had received all their packages and had gone through them. The host asked if the guest would be interested in receiving a different recipe for the chicken and vegetable mixture, and the guest replied that they would. The host asked about the buns that were baked in the oven, and the guest replied that they had been baking them for a long time ago.
CaribooMom
I did a show for this lady a couple of weeks ago, it was a great show, $840 in commissionable sales. Its hard to describe, but she seemed to be a little difficult from the beginning, changing dates, not liking that months guest specials, and NEVER a polite word, please and thank you just dont seem to be in her vocabulary at all... Anyway, just as I was cleaning up and getting ready to go home after her show, she brings out a broken Mix-n-Masher, asks me if theres anything I can do about it. I take it and tell her that I will see what I can do. So I phone head office, they cant find her anywhere in the system, either as a host or as a guest, so theres nothing they can do. I figured, what the heck, it was a good show, I'll add a new one to her order and not charge her for it. Now, the rest, I just have to explain by cutting and pasting a series of emails between the two of us:

HOST:

Hello Angie,

Do you know approx how long it takes to get here. I've had a few
people
ask me when their stuff will be here and I've told them this week.
Hope
this is right.

ME:

Hi
It looks like all 4 of your packages scanned in (city) last night.
Usually that would mean they will scan in (city) tomorrow.
Looks promising that they will be delivered by the end of the week.
Let me know if you have any concerns,
Angie

No reply from her after this email.

ME:

Hello
I saw that all 4 of your boxes have been delivered, and
I'm hoping you received my package in the mail with the original
receipts.
I hope you had a good time unpacking everything!
Don't hesitate to let me know if you need a hand with anything,
Angie

HOST:

I did receive all my boxes and have already went through everything.
Everything was there. Just wondering if you can send the chicken and
veggie recipe that you did at my show. A few people have asked for it.
Also do you know what the warranty is on the mini muffin tin?

ME:

Hi ,

The Deluxe Mini Muffin Pan (#1606) has a 3 year warranty.

The chicken recipe is a little different each time, heres the basic
recipe:

Line Deep Covered Baker (DCB) with parchment paper.
Chop the following ingredients into bite-sized pieces and mix together
in
the DCB:
3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
2-3 large carrots
2-3 stalks celery
1 medium onion
Add 1 can cream of mushroom soup to the combined ingredients. Combine
well, cover and microwave on high for 15 minutes. Stir well and return
to
microwave for an additional 10-15 minutes. Stir well again and check
chicken, make sure no pink remains. If chicken and veggies are cooked
to
your likeness, sprinkle mixture with one package of Stove-Top-Stuffing.
Drizzle with 3/4 cup boiling water. Return to microwave and cook on
high
for 3-4 minutes. Remove from microwave, but leave lid on for 5-10
minutes. Ready to serve after this rest period.

This recipe can be altered according to what ingredients you have on
hand,
try cream of chicken or cream of celery soup instead of mushroom soup.
Potatoes and turnips can be added, cooking time will have to be
increased,
and they will have to be cut into smaller pieces. Softer veggies like
mushrooms, peas etc can be added half way through the cooking time.

I'm glad you and your guests enjoyed the recipe!

Angie

HOST:

What about the buns that you put in the oven? Also I don't know how
long
ago the muffin tin was purchased, but it was never used and the teflon
coating is bubbled up in one area. It is still in the original plastic.
Do you have any ideas? Let me know.

ME:

Hi

Do you have a receipt for the mini muffin pan, or do you know who the
consultant was when you purchased it? I'm actually not authorized to do
returns, I did the Mix'n'Masher return as a additional thank you to you
for having such a successful show. I suggest you call the Pampered
Chef,
they are very helpful. The number is 1-800-342-2433.

Heres the recipe for the buns:

Garlic-Parmesan Biscuit Bites

4 tbsp. Butter
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1 pkg. refrigerated Pillsbury biscuits

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in 8" or 10" saute pan (I use
8")
on stovetop, over medium heat. Press in garlic, and using the microplane
grater, grate in parmesan cheese. Using the Forged Utility knife, cut
unbaked biscuits into quarters. Add all of the biscuits to the pan (if
using the 8", you'll have to pack them in tightly) and toss with the
butter mixture using the small mix n scraper. Put in oven and bake 16-18
minutes. Serve warm.

I hope this is helpful for you,

Angie

HOST:

I don not have the receipt for the muffin pan and can't remember which
show
I would have ordered it at. It's probably been over the 3 years however.
I'm bad for buying something and then not using it right away. I just
pulled it out of the plastic wrap and noticed that the teflon was bubbled
up in one area as I was going to make some of the mini tarts. Do you have
any suggestions?

ME:

Hi
I'm so sorry, I wish there was
something more I could do for you, other than suggest that you call The
Pampered Chef. They have always been very helpful in the past, they may
have a suggestion for you. They will probably ask for your show number:
XXXXXXXXXX.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
Angie

HOST:

I already tried and the lady I spoke to said that without the name of the
hostess or consultants name that I was out of luck. I have ordered so many
things from pampered chef in the past. I even asked her to look up under
(Host Name) and in (city) but couldn't find anything. I must say that
I'm very disappointed as I have spent tonnes of money on Pampered Chef and
in this circumstance they have decided to leave me with no recorse even
when the product is still in the original packaging and never been used
(never in the oven). And especially when this is obviously a manufacturing
defect (bubbling of the teflon) and these pans aren't cheap to begin with.

I havent emailed her back yet, I'm at a loss, in more ways than one, lol. I already took a loss and bought her a new Mix-n-Masher, I'm certainly not buying her a new mini muffin pan. Please help, I just dont know what to say to her now, well, nothing polite, anyway, lol. :yuck:

Thanks in advance for any input, sorry its been such a long post...

She has a 10% past host discount to buy a new one.

Would it be wrong to remind her that 1) within 30 days they would have paid to ship it back and replace it and 2) within 3 years they would have replaced if she had her receipt.

Or else maybe gently remind her that to return something to a retail store they would also require a receipt.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd have a hard time biting my tongue to not point out those things... Not that that would make it the right thing to do, LOL! I'm sure many would say bless and release... :)

IMO you do not owe her a response. She didn't ask you a question or ask for anything, all she did was complain. You have been more than polite and even bought her a new Mix n Masher (does she know that you did this?) Don't let yourself get pulled into a dialog you can't resolve.

Good points Susan!

I would point out this is exactly why it is so important to retain all receipts, so if there's ever a problem she has the information handy. Also, guests and hosts should, at the very least, open their boxes and check the product for damage upon receipt, so they can return it for an exchange within 30 days, as stated on the receipt.

It's too bad the original consultant didn't do an OOTB call, but the onus is on this consultant and your host. It is not your responsibility to do anything more than offer to add her order for a new DMMP onto your next show, and make sure her PHD is used.

I think buying her a new Mix & Masher was very generous. You did a good job with this host. There are just some who are never completely satisfied.

What I would say in this case is something like this:

"I know, I hear what you are saying and I feel really bad that my hands are tied and I can't personally change the situation. I always make it a point to tell all my customers to keep their receipts in a secure place for if at ANY time an issue may pop up, The Pampered Chef will be very happy to help you out.

One of my favorite places to store PC receipts is under the silverware tray in the kitchen. Fold the receipt(s) in half, put it (them) in a zip-loc bag and place under your silverware tray. Going forward, you know will you will always be armed with the paperwork needed when replacing/exchanging/returning an item.

Since I know you are really wanting to use your mini-muffin pan, we can get one ordered up for you at a discount! As my past host, you have earned a 10% discount on any purchases for the next year. How does this sound?"

While she will never be happy and probably bought the mini muffin pan more than 3 years ago, I think you should try to make her happy. She's been your host, unlike my recent cust care issues from people who have never been or will be my host or even customer. I would have a hard time being nice to her, but we're here to listen to you complain ;)

Were there any bookings from her show? This is your area for compromise and the reason to compromise. She has all of those guests that she can bad-mouth you and PC to and wouldn't it be awful if she did that at her friend's show? Review with her the return and warranty policy that the company has already told her, use the language others have offered about keeping receipts, and then let her know that above and beyond the one item you've already replaced for her FREE OF CHARGE that you will replace the mini muffin pan at xxx discount at her friend's show. You can say half-off or whatever discount you're comfortable with. It's splitting the difference between her not getting any satisfaction and getting the whole thing replaced for free. I would put it on her friend's host order to get the host discount level and you just wouldn't make any commission on it, but then it wouldn't be on her receipt so you would need to stress that she inspect it upon arrival.

This is a relationship business. If you're happy with her never hosting again (we all have those!!) and there were no future leads from her show then it may be easier to let the relationship dissolve.

I like Caressa's words too, but rather than offering her the 10%, if she had bookings I'd offer it at the discount of the hostess of one of those shows.

Just be careful adding it to the hosts order. Then you're going to have the same issue when she doesn't keep the receipt. The order still wouldn't be in her name & she'd have yet another consultant to complain about.

You're talking about $13 worth of products after her discount. You made over $200 on her show...I'd buy her a new one as a courtesy. It's not like it's a $100 pan.

Nanisu said:
You're talking about $13 worth of products after her discount. You made over $200 on her show...I'd buy her a new one as a courtesy. It's not like it's a $100 pan.

So, when would it stop Nancy? She's already gotten a Mix N Masher. I don't think the consultant is being greedy here trying to stop the gravy train. This woman is trying to get away with something. If she gives her a DMMP then next week it'll be a Quick Stir Pitcher or Med Bar Pan or some other thing. This customer needs to know the proper course of action. The consultant's hands are tied. The customer does have a level of responsibility in this.

Nanisu said:

Except that could set a really bad precedent with someone like this. Do it once and you'll have to do it all the time- or she'll tell her friend(s), and THEY'LL expect it.

no...I like the other suggestions. She's "3x7" as my husband would say (she's an adult) and ultimately the one really responsible for knowing how to at least open a box to make sure something is in good shape. We don't buy things at a store without at least removing it from the box to make sure it works/looks in good condition- because we know that we may only have 30-90 days to return it. If you don't do that, well, shame on you- not the company!

Your post shows this is your 4th show, so you made $168.00 minus fuel, paperwork, postage, recipe ingredients...if you offer that service...and then there is your time and the masher that you already purchased for her. Did you give her a hostess gift the night of her show? I wouldn't offer to pay for her a new mini muffin pan. Even if you do she is not going to be happy with The Pampered Chef. She is just trying to make you feel guilty so she can get something else for free. I would probably offer her a discount...maybe an extra 10% off the pan when she purchases it at one of her friends shows...if she received bookings...or 10% off the pan when she makes another purchase if there aren't any bookings.

She sounds like one of those chronic complainers. Some people are never happy no matter what you do for them...they just want to whine and complain...most likely trying to get something for nothing.

Shawnna said:
Your post shows this is your 4th show, so you made $168.00 minus fuel, paperwork, postage, recipe ingredients...if you offer that service...and then there is your time and the masher that you already purchased for her. Did you give her a hostess gift the night of her show? I wouldn't offer to pay for her a new mini muffin pan. Even if you do she is not going to be happy with The Pampered Chef. She is just trying to make you feel guilty so she can get something else for free. I would probably offer her a discount...maybe an extra 10% off the pan when she purchases it at one of her friends shows...if she received bookings...or 10% off the pan when she makes another purchase if there aren't any bookings.

She sounds like one of those chronic complainers. Some people are never happy no matter what you do for them...they just want to whine and complain...most likely trying to get something for nothing.

Well put! :thumbup:

I'm with Susan. She didn't ask any questions that need to be addressed. She's dealing with the HO, which is the appropriate group of people for her to deal with. If she'd bought it at Walmart or Target a few years ago and tried to return it with no receipt she'd get nowhere.

crystalscookingnow said:
Just be careful adding it to the hosts order. Then you're going to have the same issue when she doesn't keep the receipt. The order still wouldn't be in her name & she'd have yet another consultant to complain about.

If you add her to another show, put her in as a co-host.

I had an upset host the beginning of this year. It was one thing after another. She drove me nuts. I did everything I could to make the situation right and then washed my hands of it. About 6 months later she gave me an on-line order when I was doing a fundraiser for a family in need. She's given me several orders since and might do a show again. Sometimes the headache pays off in the future. This host also had 6 bookings, some of which held and some still haven't. You never want to burn a bridge. But stand your ground once you've made a decision.

Ummm, she could have gotten a discount on a new one with her OWN host order if she'd have mentioned it prior to her show closing. I wouldn't keep letting her run over you (which is what is sounds like she's trying to do).There are some great suggestions listed in this thread for what you can say to her. But if you continue to bend over backward for her, you are definitely setting a precedence that you WILL bend over backward and pay for stuff out of your pocket. It sounds like you are not willing to do that, so stand your ground girl! ;)But I agree that you should take this opportunity to recommend to her that she actually take her items OUT OF THE BOX and USE them. What good are they doing her in the package & stored away? Remind her of the warranty and let her know that since the current items were purchased in her own name, that she will always be able to call Pampered Chef, give them her name & address at the time of the purchase & they will be able to look up her purchase in the computer ... even if she's misplace the receipt. (She should still do the ziplock under the silverware tray idea just so she CAN keep up with her receipts.)Go over the warranty with her again, reminding her of the 30 day free return, the 1 year satisfaction guarantee and then the actual warranty length for each item. If she has a problem with ANY of the new items from this show, she should address it right away & not wait until it's out of warranty.I'm also willing to bet that she bought the mini-muffin pan it under someone else's name to save the $4.25 shipping fee! LOL If so, maybe THAT person could call corporate & see if the warranty is still good. ;)

Thank you, everyone for your responses. I did email her back, and she hasnt responded to me, I'm just hoping for it to end here. I didnt even get one booking from her show, so chances are I wont see her again. Heres what I wrote:

Hi
I'm sorry that this is beyond my control and there is nothing else I can do for you about your Mini Muffin Pan.
Unfortunately, without a receipt, and especially if its
past the warranty timeline, theres nothing that can be done. I wish I could be more helpful,
I was happy to replace your Mix-n-Masher for you, but I simply cant afford to replace
your Mini Muffin Pan as well, I hope you understand.
Please check all of your new items, because if there is a problem with anything,
The Pampered Chef will pay return postage inside the first 30 days, and don't forget that as a
Host, you qualify for 10% off for a full year.

Yours,
Angie

To the point, maybe a little too blunt, but she was getting on my nerves, lol.

CaribooMom said:
Thank you, everyone for your responses. I did email her back, and she hasnt responded to me, I'm just hoping for it to end here. I didnt even get one booking from her show, so chances are I wont see her again. Heres what I wrote:

Hi
I'm sorry that this is beyond my control and there is nothing else I can do for you about your Mini Muffin Pan.
Unfortunately, without a receipt, and especially if its
past the warranty timeline, theres nothing that can be done. I wish I could be more helpful,
I was happy to replace your Mix-n-Masher for you, but I simply cant afford to replace
your Mini Muffin Pan as well, I hope you understand.
Please check all of your new items, because if there is a problem with anything,
The Pampered Chef will pay return postage inside the first 30 days, and don't forget that as a
Host, you qualify for 10% off for a full year.

Yours,
Angie

To the point, maybe a little too blunt, but she was getting on my nerves, lol.

I don't think it was too blunt at all. I think you handled it beautifully.

In regards to "helping her out one more time", my Recruit did a show for a lady we met at a Healthy Heart Fair in March at a church in a nearby town. This lady had the Catalog Show after changing the date for 2 months. Then she had the nerve to complain about how long it took to get the items...forgetting she put off submitting the orders on some for 2 months. Then she has made some kind of excuse to return every single item (about 15 in all of various things) she received. My poor Recruit, trying to "save" this host since she hoped to have her again since it did end up being over $600, sent each item back at her OWN expense. I told her each time NOT to do it and after the 12th item, she finally told the lady if there was any more problems, she would have to call the HO. This woman was NEVER satisfied. She found fault with everything from stoneware to peelers! It was totally ridiculous! Your email was right on and sounded very kind. I tell EVERY person at the Cooking Show that if they have issues with their products they purchase from ME, I will be glad to help them, but if it came from another consultant and they don't remember the name or have a receipt, there really is nothing else I can do. One lady brought up the "lifetime warranty". I explained that our Forged Cutlery and our Stainless & Executive Cookware and our Salad Choppers have lifetime warranties, but everything else does not. Unfortunately since there is people who sell/buy items on eBay and other online places, we cannot give warranties unless there is a receipt. At my last Show, a couple of ladies were really SHOCKED that eBay items have no warranty on them. I told them unless they got a receipt from the person who sold it to them and it was a current product, they are out of luck! From the look on a couple of their faces, they had done this...and were told their items were covered under warranty.

1. How should I handle a host who is constantly changing the details of their party?

It's important to communicate clearly with the host and make sure all changes are agreed upon and documented. You can also suggest setting a deadline for any additional changes to avoid confusion.

2. What should I do if the host is not following through with their responsibilities?

Make sure to remind the host of their responsibilities and offer your assistance. If they continue to neglect their duties, you may need to escalate the issue to your supervisor.

3. How can I handle a host who is not meeting their sales goals?

It's important to be understanding and supportive of the host. Offer suggestions and tips for increasing sales, such as promoting the party on social media or offering incentives for guests. You can also offer to help with follow-up and reaching out to potential guests.

4. What should I do if the host is unhappy with their party results?

It's important to listen to their concerns and try to find a solution that satisfies both parties. Offer to work with them on a future party to make it more successful, or provide them with additional resources and support to improve their results.

5. How should I handle a host who is not responding to my communication attempts?

Try reaching out through different methods, such as email, phone, or social media. If they still do not respond, it may be necessary to involve your supervisor to ensure proper communication and resolution of any issues.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Oliver91
  • kcjodih
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pampered.chris
  • Kristianne