• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Oops! My Mailing Mishap: Dealing with a Misread Invite List

In summary, a person named Dorma received an invite to a show, mistook their name for Norma's, got angry, and made a reminder call. The host said it was no big deal and suggested that the guest just forget about it.
pamperedalf
Silver Member
I recently started mailing out invites for all my shows, and making reminder calls for them. Well while I was making reminder calls, I came across a name of Dorma. I called and she got on the phone and practically yelled at me, and said that her name was not Dorma, it was Norma.:mad:

My mouth dropped, then she wanted to know who addressed the invites. I said that I had and completely misread the invite list and apologized again. She sounded mad, and said she would have to call and talk with the host.:mad:

I called the host and she said it was no big deal, but to me it is a huge deal, and now my husband is picking on me. He keeps calling hey Dorma. ugh!!!

I feel really small right now, and my director is on the east coast vacationing after the cruise so I can't call her. I just can't believe I did that. :eek:

My husband would be teasing me too. However that really isn't that big of a deal. Being named Shana, I am so used to having my name mispronounced that it kind of surpises me when people say it correctly. I think that guest should cut you some slack and realize it was a simple mistake. Take it easy on your self, its not like you called her a sir or something.

Hi Amanda!

I seriously doubt you were the reason for her getting upset. I suspect she was having really bad day and you called her at the peek of bad.

Please don't think about it anymore. My name is Lisa and I have actually had people mispronounce and misspell it.

We have all been in situations where we got embarrassed. It happens; please just don't let it bother you.

Thanks!
Lisa

Hi, Amanda.

It sounds to me like that guest has a huge problem. I can't imagine anyone getting upset b/c someone wrote/mispronounced their name. Shake it off. It just shows how caring of a person you are to be upset like this. Think about all the wonderful things you've done and do and focus on that.

Good luck with the show!!!

Could she have been playing with you? If it were me that was called the wrong name I might have messed with the consultant a little...just fun. The other thing I would have done is gone to the show and called you the wrong name! But, with my name being Andrea...I get called the wrong name all the time either through mis-pronunciation or just the wrong name!

Don't feel bad it's an honest mistake.

Don't feel so bad. I have done the same thing too. But I realized it before I called the people so I did something worse. I didn't even call to make the reminder call because I was afraid of what the person would say. That was terrible of me but I really messed up the name on the invite. I wrote Wann instead of Lueann. This host had some really awefull pemanship and it was hard to read a lot of the names.

Just a mistake!We are all human and make mistakes. It actually doesn't even sound like a big deal. Like someone else has already stated she was probably having a bad day or was hurt by someone that day and took it out on you.
If the host said it's not a big deal, this person must just be touchy or sensitive and it's not something to worry about or lose sleep over.

It's embarrasing to make mistakes but it's more embarrasing when someone yells or lashes out like a maniac because of the mistake.
You apologized and that's all you can do. She needs to chill out. Just keep working hard and I'm sure everything will be fine!!
Debbie

Thanks for all your support, now my fear is that she will actually show up on friday. I don't want to see this lady especially if she is still upset about it. :confused:
Oh well thank you again, we will see how the show goes.

I wouldn't let itbother you. Mistakes happen. I did a show for another consultant and she gave me the wrong name. Here I was calling the host Janice and half way through the show (after hearing her guests say it) I said "is your name Janice or Janet? She just laughed and said I answer to anything. ;)

Maybe you caught her at a bad time. Forget about it and move on.

Dont worryabout it. Just give her a SB and say I apologize for the mistake. I'm sure getting something small will make up for it.

I miscalculated an order.. they got a SB. I wrote down the wrong CC #.. I gave a SB. Who doesnt love free stuff.. and its your way of saying your sorry and it helps her remember how nice you were.

Hope this Helps

I second the SB idea and you could also tell her that she is free to call you Damanda and you guys could just have pet names for each other!

I had a similar situation when I was teaching childbirth classes. A potential student called for information and mangled my name in a completely new and hilarious way. I started to giggle as I told her the correct pronounciation. Well, she went ballistic that I had 'made fun of her' and was so mad she ended up not taking the class. I was really upset. I called her to apologize but she refused to talk to me. I spoke to her partner instead, who was unbelievably rude. I had never experienced anything like it. (And boy was I relieved that they went elsewhere. Who wants students like that?)

It took me a long time to get over it because the attack was just so brutal and personal. But later I found out that the couple broke up soon after the baby was born, so obviously they had their own problems. I knew it wasn't about me.

So, my guess is, this isn't about you, either! Dorma (lol) clearly has some other issues going on and you just happened to be the dumping ground for her today. I would definately try and let it go. (Maybe try saying a prayer for HER peace and serenity! When I am really upset with someone, it sometimes help to pray for them!)

Love,
Rachel

Don't let it get you downAmanda,

Hopefully this woman will understand that you're only human and that we all make mistakes. I'm sure this will blow over. I've actually had numerous people mispronounce my name...and mine is pretty simple, but so many people have called me Maria or Mary. Just keep on smiling, you'll get through this. :)

Best Wishes,
Marie
Allentown, PA
[email protected]

I'll tell you one way to avoid being embarrassed if she shows up at the party. Just beat her to the punch and be very apologetic the instant you meet her. Say "I'm so sorry for calling you the wrong name. To make up for it, I'm going to give you this ___. Please accept my apology". That will shut her up about it if you just are very humble about it up front. I've found that admitting something you did wrong and being apologetic about it catches some people off guard and they can't say much then. Life's too short - don't worry about it. With a name like mine, nobody pronounces it right the first time and I don't get upset. And on top of that, my last name is even worse -people always say "Gray" instead of "Gay". And restaurant reservations are never made in our last name - it's too embarassing when they call out on the speaker "Gay party of 10" and everybody looks at you!

Jeanie Gay

Like everyone else said, we are human too!Everyone makes mistakes! My name is Tiffany O'Neill and I get called things like Stephanie O'Meal (who has ever heard of the last name O'Meal????) all the time! My maiden name was Wood and no one could get that right either! It happens, we make mistakes, I am sure that "Dorma" has messed up someone's name at least once in her lifetime. You probably did just catch her on a bad day!

Thanks so much for the ideas, last night I was actually thinking of giving her a season's best. I like that she could call me Damanda at the show. I probably would laugh all night.
I am so glad for this website, and the support and that we are on the same wavelength.

Don't feel so bad. This is what just happened to me. Debbie had a show last fall & her DIL booked a show for April. At the April show the host told me that Debbie had placed an order, but couldn't come. Ok, no biggie. She also said that her MIL would be there. Well Debbie was married to J Knipp, but is now married to J Wilson. So, as I'm taking orders, my host brings me her stack of outside orders while I'm talking to someone. As I finish that order, I pick up an order form and it says Debbie (BUT I DIDN"T LOOK AT THE LAST NAME) and I said Debbie, oh wait I already have her in the computer and proceed to take key in the order. When a lady says, "Why would you have me in there?" Then I said, "I don't have you in here yet this order is for the host's MIL, Debbie." She looked me straight in the face and said "That's me, I'm her MIL, Debbie." When I looked at the name I realized my mistake and said I'm sorry I just seen Debbie and thought it was Debbie Wilson. The lady looked at me and said, "Yeah, she's Debbie #1 and I'm Debbie #2! The host is my DIL, too!" You could have knocked me over with a spoon. I couldn't breathe for the foot in my mouth. I was so embarrassed. The host's mom doesn't really care for Debbie #1 and made certain to mention the slip up several times before she left!

Then in February I got to the host's home about 30 minutes late because I'd locked my keys in my car and gotten lost and as I'm setting up I was chatting with the guests and the host and said that there was a couple of little idiots on 4 wheelers riding up and down the main road. They'd scared me to death. Yep you guessed it! The host was the idiot's Mommy! One of the guests saved me, after she was the one to tell me I'd just insulted my host's children. She said "Well, looks like I won't have to be the one to say something stupid tonight. Donna's already done it for me!"

As for messing up someone's name, I say don't worry about it. It happens and if she's there, just apologize and let it go. My maiden name was Rakes. You wouldn't believe the people that would get that wrong. I would even spell it for people and then tell them that it was spelled just like a plural yard rake. I'd always got called Rales, Rapes, Ranes, or something similar. She was either having a really bad day or is badly in need of some Prozac!

I just have to add a story...OK, my last name is Villanueva...here in Wisconsin, that's not a very popular last name, so if someone gets it right the first time, we throw a party. About a month ago, my husband answered the phone while I was at a show (let me add that he very rarely answers the phone - that's my job;); plus, the caller ID showed "Unavailable"). The man asked for Diane Villa...Villanu..Villanoova...ova..ava??? Assuming it was a telemarketer, my husband was rather rude to the man and told him we weren't interested in buying anything or supporting any charities. The caller said, "No, no, I got Diane's name off of a Pampered Chef catalog and wanted to place an order." :eek: My husband apologized profusely, and he called my cell phone and left a message for me. As soon as I got out of the show and saw the message, I called the man back and apologized as well. He was really ok with it and we were able to laugh about it, but I gave him a SB. Oh, and his order was $148:D !

My husband learned a very valuable lesson. He's never going to answer the phone again!!

Diane

I am also known as Angela, Adrienne or any other pronunciation of Andrea (I pronounce my name like ann-drea, not aun-drea), my FIL still can't say my name correctly...his name is Roy and I have started calling him Ray and will until he calls me by the correct name.

But, I have to say the best was with my hubby...a telemarketer called and asked for Seen Pee Hug-his (his name is Sean Hughes)...I have never heard anyone butcher my husbands name so badly and he has a very simple name. And, the place that I have had to spell my last name the most was in Las Vegas...I mean HELLO...could you look out the window or walk down the street, my last name is everywhere in that city!

I've had my maiden name, "Bergmann" twisted so often it ought to be a licorice stick! I used to really resent it until I started doing data entry for a mail order pharmacy. The way some people write, it's hard to believe anyone ever gets anything sent to them correctly - or gets called by the right name.

My motto is "Forgive, forget, move on." After making an apology (and giving her a SB), if she doesn't come around, she might just be the kind of person you wouldn't want to do business with anyway. Life's too short to let angst get in the way!

Trish
Going on 7 months
Wave 1

I wouldn't give her anything. She should give you something for making you feel bad. If it were me, I wouldn't even WANT her for a customer. For saying her name wrong??? Geez. Some people need to find out what it's like to be REALLY offended. I hate people like that.

I think we have all made a mistake like thisIt is so easy to make mistakes when you address someone else's invitations. Not only do you not know these people but then you have to read your host's handwriting.

I was addressing invitations for a host (someone I have known my entire life) in February and realized that I put the wrong last name for my host on the return address. Luckily I noticed it before I mailed them out. That would have been so embarrassing if I hadn't caught it. I would never have been able to look her in the face again.

At my last show (I swear I'm going to use name tags!) I called a girl Michelle whose name was Krista. She got so snotty with me, "My name is Krista, she's Michelle". I just said, "Ugh, I'm so sorry, feel free to call me whatever name you come up with."

My mom recently had a party and the consultant put another woman's phone number on half the invitations (mind you she had over 80 of them).. LOL. it was all funny in the end b/c the phone number was a woman that my mom was an acquaintance of and they both had somewhat the same circle of acquaintances.. so some guests were like "wait, this isn't Leanne's phone number, this is so & so's number." LOL.. my mom thought it was funny.. Maybe you got a woman that had a bad day (great, now "you had a bad day" from American Idol is stuck in my head again) or maybe she's just a stick in the mud. I agree with everyone; blow it off and move on. It'll be funny eventually! hehe

My husband was speaking to a salesman on the phone and requesting information to be mailed to him. He said, "My name's Frame, just like a picture frame." A few days later he got the info packet addressed to Danny Photo...!

BTW, is Nguyen pronounced "win"?

Y'all have a great weekend!:)

Call me Masochistic...but I would almost hope that she would come to the show! Chances are in your favor that she won't, but if the host is cool about it take your cue from her. :eek:
Like everyone else who has replied, I agree that if Norma/Dorma shows... thank her graciously for coming inspite of her first impression, and then say you will work hard to make her, and everyone who has come, happy to be here. Besides, she has a huge advantage over everyone else there - she already knows you don't have to be a genius to cook great meals, entertain with ease or be a successful Pampered Chef Consultant. When you use the tools, tips and recipes I will share with you today... I can promise your family won't care what you call them, so long as you don't call them late to dinner! ;)

Well she didn't show up. I was totally glad. I thought this was going to be a small show, because only 5 people were coming. I got a booking for may and it was 1103 in sales. Yeah for me, I was so happy the whole way home!:D

Great show!!! Way to go!!!

Ann F said:
BTW, is Nguyen pronounced "win"?

Yup!

And my husband is Nguyen Nguyen... so it's a win win situation! LOL

WOW!!!! Congratulations!

I guess Dorma ended up being your good luck charm! LOL.

Yea for Dorma!

(Congrats on your show BTW!!!)

RachelNguyen said:
Yup!

And my husband is Nguyen Nguyen... so it's a win win situation! LOL

Poor guy...I bet he hears that one all the time!

I think the "Gay Party" and "O'Meal" are my favorites. At work I answer the phone, "This is Anne." And people say "Hi, Suzanne.":confused:

Don't sweat the small stuff. At least she gave you her correct name. I am a student and I said, "Hi Lyle, how are ya doing today"? He replied quite sharply, there ain't no Lyles here"! Instead of correcting me he expected me to continue to be ignorant of his real name Layle. I had to ask for the proper name.
People that get upset over such things are wrapped too tight and have little to be happy about, and love to share their misery.
Rita

For me it's my last name, and I'm sure Marlene will second the problem. It is pronounced Bowman but spelled Bauman (very German is what I'm told). I have been called Mrs. Bayman, Baaman (yes the sound a sheep makes), and once Brohem. The classic one is when they avoid my last name all together and just say thank you Brooke, and don't even try to pronouce the last name. HAHAHA!!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithlove
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
lesliec
  • NooraK
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Cr8vKitchen
  • cheflorraine