• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Losing My Job & Trying to Make Pampered Chef Work: Advice Needed

In summary, Heather lost her job and is now trying to find new shows to book to make money. She is depending on people calling her to set up dates for shows, but is not getting any calls. She has been looking online for ideas, but needs more help.
topchef.heather
Well I lost my job on Friday. I am pretty much the sole provider for my family, my husband works very little part-time while he's in school full-time. I have only being doing PC for about 3 months, haven't even reached my 90-day mark yet. I was only doing it really for the fun of it and the little bit of extra income would be nice. Well now, I'm thinking, OK step it up and try to get some shows, make some $$ while trying to find another job. But how?? I do not have any shows booked for this month, have 1 to close, but it's barely $200 and no bookings and I only have 1 show booked for December. I took a walk with my son through the neighborhood and put some mini's on a few doors, and am planning on doing that all week and hoping to get a bite or 2 off of that, but other than that, I don't know where to look for shows. I have exhausted all my friends and them hosting shows in my first 2 months of starting. I thought about going to the local Elementary school and seeing if I could leave a catalog there, but wasn't quite sure how they would take that since my kid doesn't even go there. I've been looking on here for ideas and suggestions, but any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Firstly (((((hugs)))))). Secondly, hsve you reached out to your Director? Let her know what you are facing and make a plan. Then, don't forget that this business is all about people and contacts. 3-2-1 does work, if you do it consistently and thoroughly.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your job, but I like that you see that PC can help with the needed income. Great idea about the mini's, but you are dependant on their calling. Would you consider walking out in the mall or on your errands, pass out recipe cards with your info. Try and get their contact info so you can follow up. All you need is one great show to kick off your biz.

Go back to that list of 100....is there anyone you did not make actual contact with? Are there any classmates (your hubby's) who might be interested in a show?

Have you talked with your neighbors? What about the front office of the school where your child does attend?

Just some ideas. I do agree with Noora....work out a plan with your director.

So sorry to hear about this, Heather! I would send out an email to everyone on your contact list: friends, family, neighbors, sporting activities, whoever. Tell them you basically what you told us. Ask for support via dating shows, orders, or referrals. Then, after a few days call everyone you sent an email to. Ask them if they got your email about needing help. And ask for shows, orders, or referrals. I did this when my husband lost his job and it made a huge difference. People will ask you if there is anything they can do. Make "Yes, thank you so much for you offer. When would you like to date a show?" your standard response. Good luck. Just know that you are not alone and we are here to help you in any way we can. You will get past this!

Thanks all for the encouragement, I did send out a few emails already to friends who have not bought or committed to a show, so I'm hoping one of them will work out. And about the director, I don't know who that is. I contacted PC to sign up, was sent to someone not so close to where I live, but then fine, I went to a few meetings, but then about 2 weeks ago got an email stating that she was retiring...so don't know where to go from there. She was already kind of far from where I live, not really sure why HO put me with someone so far away, I live in a pretty big City outside of Houston, seems like there has got to be other peeps around me. Anyway, needless to say, the little that I have accomplished and have done, I have done myself. Not much guidance and noone to really look to. This site has been my main resource.

This site is your best resource - period!! There are so many people here with so much experience and so many great ideas!
Are there any Christmas craft fairs going on in your area in the next month or so? Check those out to see if you can get in...

We are glad to help. Heather, can I suggest you send that email even to those who hosted and bought already? I had a lady who had a show and then booked another one 6 weeks later after DH was let go, and all the people who couldn't be there before made it.

Maybe you can find a director on CS near you.

topchef.heather said:
Thanks all for the encouragement, I did send out a few emails already to friends who have not bought or committed to a show, so I'm hoping one of them will work out. And about the director, I don't know who that is. I contacted PC to sign up, was sent to someone not so close to where I live, but then fine, I went to a few meetings, but then about 2 weeks ago got an email stating that she was retiring...so don't know where to go from there. She was already kind of far from where I live, not really sure why HO put me with someone so far away, I live in a pretty big City outside of Houston, seems like there has got to be other peeps around me. Anyway, needless to say, the little that I have accomplished and have done, I have done myself. Not much guidance and noone to really look to. This site has been my main resource.

Heather, sometimes, those who have bought before can end up being your best hosts! Once they have some products in their hands and are using it and loving it, they are more open to hosting a show to get more for free and half off!
I wouldn't leave it with just an email though. I'd follow up with a phone call.

Also - start a thread on here stating that you are looking for a hospitality director, and state your location. There are a lot of TX consultants on CS, and I'm sure if they don't have a meeting you can attend, they might know of one close to you.

Thanks, I sent out a few more emails last night. Tried to get some Homemade for the Holidays bookings. I will follow up face to face, maybe try going somewhere public and putting myself out there. This is just my first face to face, I'm not really one to talk to people in person...I guess it's time to get over that fear.

I know the feeling Heather! I too lost my job of 10 years on Friday. But as a very wise person once said: "When one door closes another will open." And as a very wise woman out here said - Chefgirl2 - "but it may be hell in the hallway!"
I am in the hallway! So I decided that now is the NOT the time to sit and pout. I know it is difficult for anyone to loose a job and I really know about being an almost sole provider. Our Mortgages were my responsibility and Pat does not have the means to cover everything. And, yes, I would be lying if I said I was not scared out of my mind but I ain't going down without a fight!!! I sent out e-mails to not only my PC contacts but to everyone in my e-mail list. I got two booking after telling everyone what happened! And that was Friday night! I had a party on Sunday, I got one booking and one possible but highly unlikely recruit. (I know this one all too well to think any thing will come of it. This is her third time!)
So I made up some fliers today and will be handing them out all over the place. This is no time to hide behind my fears about making cold calls or contacts. I can't afford too. Not financially but even more so psychologically!!! I am so afraid that if I sit and wallow even a short bit, I will loose every once of desire that I have left. Even if nothing comes of it, I am going to keep moving! It will either get me lots of bookings or sales or keep me motivated enough to find that next full time job. So hang int here. And definatly talk to your director. It is great to have someone else's point of view on what to do. I have three people giving me ideas, mom, my director and a dear friend. Even Pat!! And anyone who knows me that is a miracle all on its own! Get a support system in place before you do anything else. Make sure they are people whose opinions you trust. There is nothing you can't do if you have a good support system. And NOTE THIS - EVERYONE OUT HERE NEEDS TO BE ON YOUR SUPPORT LIST!!! Come here and "talk" about everything you need a new "eye" on. We will be here. We will always do what we can for each other. And never doubt that. I have been out here fro geez, years and I have never been steered in the wrong direction. There is too much love and concern here for that. So hang int here Heather. If your confidence stays strong, so will you and the situation will never be lost.

Thanks John - sorry to hear about your job loss as well!

How are things going, Heather? Thinking of you?

Heather - how much longer does your hubby have to complete his courses?
A few suggestions, as with me I too have to step things up but I also have unemployment to fall back on and that will cover almost 90% of my bills for now so. Here is what I am doing to start. I have all my catalogs ready for parties and I do really carry them with me. I handed two out yesterday as I was wearing a PC shirt and they asked. and yes, I got their info. I do not know if anything will come of it but, I did make sure the January host special was in there! I also did contact my director. I asked her for help as far as I would love to either see one of her parties or have her see one of mine. I have to know how to make them work for bookings. I have also reached out to others in my upline. It never hurts to see what other consultants are doing. Especially if you can find the heavy hitters. You know the ones! The people who always seem to have parties and recruits. Put out an "SOS" here to see who is in the area and then brain storm with that person. It really helps to if you have that support from some where. And yes, this place is awesome. The hard part of course is that you still have to do the leg work. Anyway, I have attached my version of the 12 days of Christmas. I sent it out to everyone - not just my PC contacts - on my e-mail list. I attached it. And I am carrying it with me as well. I did not give them to the two yesterday as I really want to get this business going more in January than December with new hosts. I wanna be selfish for a change this year! I actually used to work every holiday for at least 3 hours so to have a whole Christmas season off is really appealing. I would love to be able to do the baking and entertaining thing for a change. HOWEVER, IT DOES NOT MEAN I WON'T BE ON THE PHONE! Whatever you do today takes about 90 days to come to fruition. Now as far as you go. Why did you get let go, down sized like my or what. I would have to believe you were downsized. I want you to think about this. Do not allow it to get you down. I was sad at first because I made some good friends over the ten years I worked for my company. I was loyal, always went out of my way to do what was needed so I could not figure out why me? Then it dawned on me. It was not my fault. The writing has been on the wall for a little over a month. They starting laying off people who had been there the longest. The "money" employees. all of us who had been there over 9 years, with the exception of VPs and supervisors, were let go. I am keeping a positive attitude. I have not had to force it yet but I assume that will happen at some point. Make sure you check every avenue available to you for help. Now, I checked out our Social services website for our something we call Quest. It is a food stamp program. I am checking with them in regards to medications needed. I made a doctors appointment to make sure I got in at least one before my insurance goes away. I asked him about my meds too. He told me he may be able to get me help through their pharmacy! I have the unemployment app filled out a ready to go on the first. I am technically working until November 30th. As long as I have all my ducks in a row soon and I know what will be happening, I will know how I am sitting. And even it is coming up short for bills, at least I will know that and can prepare for it. That too will help me set my Pampered Chef schedule. I am checking out our states medical program. Check out your states. Check everything you can think of. And get out here to ask for help or even just a prayer or a virtual hug. Sometimes getting it out here can settle it in our mind so it does not look so awful! In the mean time, big hug and take care. P.S. - GO TO THAT SCHOOL. Offer them a fundraiser! Even if you child does not go there, they are always looking for something. Check the local chamber of commerce for holiday sales events. I am doing a Holiday Shoppe at a local business this Saturday. I will be offering a special host discount of an additional $10 in free host bonus product when they hold their party. Do what oyu can afford. If it is only $5 or a Seasons Best - tell them what you can offer. And you always offer them the fun and money savings we always offer. And most of all, offer you!

Attachments

• 12 Days of Christmas Host Bonus 001 11 November.doc
    66.5 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
John, you are an inspiration!

AJPratt said:
How are things going, Heather? Thinking of you?

Things are going, no job leads yet. I had a call back yesterday, but it was for a different line of Insurance than I have worked in. I have an interview on Monday, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

On a PC note, not so good either. I sent some emails, no one has agreed. I tried handing out a few mini's in the grocery store yesterday, but they just kind of ignored me and didn't acknowledge me. So, the search for shows continue! I did get a friend of mine in PA to agree to do a catalog show and a girl from my Bunco group said that she will host one, but not until Jan., so I'm trying, but not a whole lot of bites yet.

John - that's a great flyer! Thanks for sharing, it seems that you are getting all of your ducks in a row! You are a great inspiration! I have looked into our food stamps, it's now called SNAP here, I have to go there in person, so that is on my list to do next week. I tried to go this passed week and the day I happened to think about it and call, they were closed due to Veterans Day. So I will be applying for that and hopefully being able to get my son on Medicaid when my Insurance runs out at the end of this month. As for my husband, he has about another year, so he can only do what he can do while he's in school full time. I have already applied for unemployment, the last I logged on to check, they were waiting for response from my last employer. So I'm hoping that it will go through rather quickly. And yes, was let go b/c of downsizing, the company was losing business and losing markets to take their clients to. So I actually think it's just a matter of time before they will go under anyway. It's probably for the best that I got out of there, I just wasn't expecting it so soon, nor were we prepared for it to happen. I was driving about an hour each way (with traffic), so ideally, I'm hoping to end up somewhere a lot closer, save on gas, money and time.

Great start Heather! I know I had three parties and two Holiday Shoppe things but all were busts as far as booking go. So, with the advice of a few people a the last shoppe was last night and I called them today, the next two months will be for phone calls, propaganda of other types, not sure yet what but I will post any ideas I have right here in this thread. I did get a reluctant recruit lead. a good customer and friend has a grand daughter that loves to cook. She is 26. She recently had a heart attack and the doctors do NOT recommend she ever work a full time job. I gave the info I had on hand and asked her to call me when she had time to think about it. I told her to talk to a friend of her mom's who does parties for me about what I do. I thought that would be better than my telling her. I also invited her to host a party so she could see the part behind the scenes. Never hurts. I did get her info and we made a phone date for next Sunday night. So...
Now, tomorrow I start the unemployment form, go look into Quest which is your SNAP. I also got my info on COBRA so I have to check a few tax details about adding me to my partners insurance as the company he works for has domestic partnership coverage. The sad part, his companies HR, payroll and other people have no clue how much it will cost us! LIKE DUH!!!
Oh well. Hang in the Heater and keep us posted! We all like news! Hell, we are really just nosy and now that I don't have anything better to do!!!

OK, well no real news here, but I haven't been on here in awhile. None of my contacts and pleas for shows have worked, so I still only have the 1 for December. I have gone on a few job interviews, but nothing promising. I have also been sent $2000 worth of "fradulant" postal money orders from posting my resume online. I get tons of emails and "scams", mystery shoppers - it actually scares me that my personal info is just out there and then some jacka$$ decides to randomly send me $2000 with no info, no address, just wait for an email, then do what the email says. I have turned them in (not that they care), but I did my part. But I was getting about 10 calls a day checking on the status of the money and now I am getting threatening emails that if I don't send them the money they will get the FBI on my trail...I'm scared...really, come on now ;)

Anyway, I have a vendor fair at a friend of mine's daycare tomorrow and I need some ideas and help on what to take and do. I don't have a lot of extras, but I do have some things that I could make a gift basket for a door prize or something?! But any other ideas?

Heather, I would call PC right now and ask for hospitality. My director quit and we got bumped to our AD's first line ... but her meetings are not convenient for me so I am not going. By now your director's director should have reached out to you.

Well, my first really laid off week is complete. I filed for my first unemployment payment yesterday. I know how much I will be getting now and Pat has the budget figured out and yep, I will be coming up short by almost $200 a month so I got get moving on my PC business. I have to loans that could not be discharged on the bankruptcy that are literally $350 a month but will be paid off by January 30th so. That day will spell FREEDOM from a negative income!!! I too am having problems getting bookings. I have two in December and one was accidental! It started as an order or two at my old work place and has blossomed into a full fledged catalog party. The lady who I gave catalogs too, passed them out, which I used to do, asked people if they wanted to order, which I used to do, and is figuring out and collecting monies, which I used to do. Too cool! It is over $300 already and we are supposed to close on the 10th.
Neat! And I have one kitchen show on the 14th. It was supposed to be the 9th but they are predicting a small snow fall of about 5 to 9 inches so... I called her last night and she asked me to move the party to the 14th. She is totally on the ball and thinking! Most of her guests are teachers. If they call a snow day, she knows they won't come. I have a lady who is working on a January date and one I can't connect with. She is a great lady, does good business for me but wow, what a scatter brain! Love her to death as I have known her since she was born but trying to pin her down is nearly impossible! I will say this though, my house looks great! I have totally de-cluttered the entire place, I have put up both gates I needed to get up, I have the hand rail up on the stairs to the garage, cleaned up the yard, decorated for X-mas, and this week I am doing all the drapes and cobweb cleaning as well as putting in a new bathroom vanity. And I am having company on the 12th! Life is good right now! So anyone who is in this predicament, all I can say is that it is all in the attitude! You can make it! Just believe in yourself and yeah, dreams can come true! So hang in the Heather!

pampered1224 said:
Well, my first really laid off week is complete. I filed for my first unemployment payment yesterday. I know how much I will be getting now and Pat has the budget figured out and yep, I will be coming up short by almost $200 a month so I got get moving on my PC business. I have to loans that could not be discharged on the bankruptcy that are literally $350 a month but will be paid off by January 30th so. That day will spell FREEDOM from a negative income!!! I too am having problems getting bookings. I have two in December and one was accidental! It started as an order or two at my old work place and has blossomed into a full fledged catalog party. The lady who I gave catalogs too, passed them out, which I used to do, asked people if they wanted to order, which I used to do, and is figuring out and collecting monies, which I used to do. Too cool! It is over $300 already and we are supposed to close on the 10th.
Neat! And I have one kitchen show on the 14th. It was supposed to be the 9th but they are predicting a small snow fall of about 5 to 9 inches so... I called her last night and she asked me to move the party to the 14th. She is totally on the ball and thinking! Most of her guests are teachers. If they call a snow day, she knows they won't come. I have a lady who is working on a January date and one I can't connect with. She is a great lady, does good business for me but wow, what a scatter brain! Love her to death as I have known her since she was born but trying to pin her down is nearly impossible! I will say this though, my house looks great! I have totally de-cluttered the entire place, I have put up both gates I needed to get up, I have the hand rail up on the stairs to the garage, cleaned up the yard, decorated for X-mas, and this week I am doing all the drapes and cobweb cleaning as well as putting in a new bathroom vanity. And I am having company on the 12th! Life is good right now! So anyone who is in this predicament, all I can say is that it is all in the attitude! You can make it! Just believe in yourself and yeah, dreams can come true! So hang in the Heather!

Wow John! Or should I say WOW Mr. Fixit!

If you run out of projects, I have a list over here. We even have a guest room now....:D

Well, I am postponing one of my projects as I was gonna start getting the cobwebs out of my head, I mean house. The problem is that we had a low pressure system move in last night, brought us some snow and my head feels awful. I can't breath through my nose and right now, I can't even borrow $4 from Pat or my account for sinus pills. I can't imagine what I would feel like stirring up all that dust! But I may take you up on that. I do charge though! Gotta be cash "under the table" of course!

pampered1224 said:
Well, I am postponing one of my projects as I was gonna start getting the cobwebs out of my head, I mean house. The problem is that we had a low pressure system move in last night, brought us some snow and my head feels awful. I can't breath through my nose and right now, I can't even borrow $4 from Pat or my account for sinus pills. I can't imagine what I would feel like stirring up all that dust! But I may take you up on that. I do charge though! Gotta be cash "under the table" of course!

I have the same problems with low pressure systems. Migraines too. Yuck.:yuck:

OO sorry! It has been quite a while since I have had a migraine so I consider myself lucky! I am gonna go boil some water and stick my face over it! I can't do Netty pots as I get bloody noses if I do that for some reason I dry out too much.

1. Why did you lose your job and turn to Pampered Chef?

I lost my job due to company downsizing and was looking for a way to earn income while still being able to have a flexible schedule.

2. How did you get started with Pampered Chef?

I attended a Pampered Chef party and fell in love with the products. I then reached out to a consultant and expressed interest in joining the company.

3. What challenges did you face while trying to make Pampered Chef work?

One of the biggest challenges was learning how to effectively market and promote my business. It took time and effort to build a customer base and establish myself as a successful consultant.

4. How did you overcome those challenges?

I attended trainings and workshops provided by Pampered Chef and also reached out to other successful consultants for advice and guidance. I also utilized social media and word of mouth to promote my business.

5. What advice do you have for someone in a similar situation trying to make Pampered Chef work?

Be persistent and don't give up. It takes time and effort to build a successful business, but with dedication and hard work, it is possible. Utilize the resources and support provided by Pampered Chef and always maintain a positive attitude.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies
Views
RudolfH
Replies
Views
heat123