• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

No School Today: Mommies Unprepared for Early Spring Break

In summary, the school is closed because it rained too much. Spring break started early for some people because the weatherman was wrong. The weatherman said it would snow, but it did not.
soonerchef
I just want to cry...we got 4 inches over night and there is no school today. Man, spring break was supposed to start on Thurs and seems it may have started early, this is so not fair and not a nice thing to do to the Mommies here. Allthough, without PC I would have to take a day off work to stay home with the kiddies!

Awww. We were kind of hoping for a snow day here,but Mother Nature was as fickle as always. No such luck. At least my inner cynic was satisfied about one last gasp from winter. :rolleyes:

I hope the day passes smoothly for you! :)

:eek: Four inches? They closed the schools over 4" :eek:

What a bunch of wusses! :rolleyes: Around here, 4" is like a light dusting!

Hey Kitchen Guy. They have closed school here because it rained too much! I grew up in Florida and we never missed school. So when we moved here with our children I just could not get over how many days we get out. Even with 2 inches of snow, if the buses can't get to the kids due to the mountain roads and ice then we do not have school. So all us of parents who live in town just have to grin and bear it.

4 inches are the usual snow fall here. It would take alot more that that to stop things around here. But when your city is expected for that norm things get cleaned up quite quickly.

luvs2sellit said:
Hey Kitchen Guy. They have closed school here because it rained too much! I grew up in Florida and we never missed school. So when we moved here with our children I just could not get over how many days we get out. Even with 2 inches of snow, if the buses can't get to the kids due to the mountain roads and ice then we do not have school. So all us of parents who live in town just have to grin and bear it.
I understand snow in NC messing things up. I have family in northern Alabama and they find a light dusting of snow amusing. They go about their business while the rest of the city is paralyzed, the natives wondering what's wrong with those people driving in all that snow!

St. Louis is not one of those places that doesn't expect snow, though. :p

Maybe just not this late in the season - but we're had major blizzards here in April and May. We know enough not to take the snowblower off the tractor until the maple trees are green and even then you're never sure.

I lived in WI until 9 years ago and it had to be a major blizzard to close the schools in WI but since I've been in NC schools close at the drop of a snowflake or ice crystal. If one bus might encounter ice the whole county is off. Oh, and all stores empty out of the basics like it will last forever. Loss of power is common with ice storms here - don't remember much of that in WI...

A few years ago our schools were closed for over 2 weeks because of a few inches of show and because it stayed cold so the snow didn't melt in the outlying areas.

cla519 said:
4 inches are the usual snow fall here. It would take alot more that that to stop things around here. But when your city is expected for that norm things get cleaned up quite quickly.
Be patient - Summer is coming to Winnipeg.

It'll be there for the weekend of August 19, so don't miss it!

I Would Love To See Some Snow!!!!The most snow I have seen here in the past few years lasted only 5 minutes and the snowflakes evaporated before it even hit the ground...haha...you never know here what's going to happen....just a few years ago it was 85 and now it's almost freezing here. The most snow I've ever seen in my life was just a few inches....I would love to see about 2 feet of snow...that'd be wonderful!!!!

Snow!!We are on our second snow day because we right now have at LEAST 24 inches of snow sitting outside! I would gladly send you some!! Any volunteers to help scoop us out?

tiffanypc05 said:
The most snow I have seen here in the past few years lasted only 5 minutes and the snowflakes evaporated before it even hit the ground...haha...you never know here what's going to happen....just a few years ago it was 85 and now it's almost freezing here. The most snow I've ever seen in my life was just a few inches....I would love to see about 2 feet of snow...that'd be wonderful!!!!
We'll send you a couple of truckloads next winter. ;)

I agree with the 4" is not enough to close school. I went to high school in Boston and DH went to college in Syracuse, so we are kind of :rolleyes: ! They did close schools because of the bus situation. Where we are it is very hilly and difficult to drive on, DH had issues last night and he is a pro at driving in the snow.

But, this is what I woke up with this morning it is beautiful.

Attachments

• dscn1328 (3).jpg
    dscn1328 (3).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 371
Spring snows are very pretty - there is so much moisture in the snow that it sticks to everything like your deck rail and branches. It also packs real well so you'll probably see snowmen all over the neighborhood, too!

But that same moisture makes it very, very heavy and difficult to move. This is the kind of snow that causes heart attacks from shoveling.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Spring snows are very pretty - there is so much moisture in the snow that it sticks to everything like your deck rail and branches. It also packs real well so you'll probably see snowmen all over the neighborhood, too!

But that same moisture makes it very, very heavy and difficult to move. This is the kind of snow that causes heart attacks from shoveling.

That's why I am not shoveling and I am sure we will be making at least one snowman, my two youngest were born in Las Vegas and my oldest only lived in MA for a short period when he was really little, since then it has been Texas and NV, so he has never made a snowman either! This is their first really good snow!!!!

DH said that I was so much like a kid, I was pacing last night waiting to see what the "snow fairy" was going to bring. I love the snow, just not everything that I have to deal with because of it.

Me, too.

I wish we could figure out a way to restrict snowfall to lawns and rooftops and keep it off the paved streets.

School was closed here today too in Southern Indiana. Not a great amount of snow but the roads were covered with slushy ice. DH just came home half day to get the kids out of the house so I can get our taxes done (yes, still don't have them done!) He said the roads are fine now and the school messed up by canceling. Oh well. :rolleyes:

We are on our second snow day here in Nebraska and the fact that my kids were off all last week for spring break and the thurs-fri before for conferences i am wondering what i was thinking this stay at home mom is WAY more work than any 9-5 but the pay is way better my 3 year old was stuck in his snow angel yesterday and it was the funniest thing

Just went out and had a snowball fight with my 3 kids and their friends...too much fun! Now time for some hot chocolate!!!! I love PC, if I were at work I couldn't have done that!

(I think I could have used a few more !!!!, don't you think? sometimes I just get carried away)

That sounds great!!Playing in the snow and hot chocolate. I've got the house cleaned up, some candles burning and a warm crackling fire going in the fireplace. It is so quiet because the husband took the kids out so I could work on taxes, but as you can see, I'm not doing it :p . I can't remember the last time I had the house all to myself (a year maybe?) and I sure don't want to spend that time doing taxes!!!

I don't blame you...For not wanting to do taxes. I had the house to myself on Saturday night and I didn't know what to do with myself. I felt like a dork because I could do whatever I wanted and what was I doing? Reading chefsuccess!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Maybe just not this late in the season - but we're had major blizzards here in April and May. We know enough not to take the snowblower off the tractor until the maple trees are green and even then you're never sure.

Kitchen Guy by any chance are you from Newfoundland! lol sounds alot like here. Our last blizzard was last month, Feb. 20th I think cause I had to cancel my quilt teaching. Anyway we had about 70centimetres fall and winds over 230Km/hour. You couldn't see a hand in front of your face!! We were snowbound for almost 24 hours. When the snow cleared and the next day was all pretty and sunshine, for some places it took 5-6 hours to shovel out their cars and driveways. I saw one car in the apartment building parking lot across the street from my apt. building where you could only see a few inches of the front windshield! Parts of the Trans Canada Highway were closed due to bad snow drifts. But Spring is starting to look like she is around the corner. Its a beautiful sunny day here and in the plus temperatures now. I think its around 2 degrees celcius today.

We too have had snow as far as May... May 24th long weekend, you can be guaranteed you will be camping that weekend and there will be some snow in the forecast!!!

Cheers:rolleyes:

Ha!!As you can see that is what I am doing, procrastinating!! I would love to curl up in front of the fire with a book, but then I know I will never get started on the taxes. I also can't remember the last time I was able to read a book. I think this past summer!! I used to read at least one book a week, but getting married and having kids sure changed all that!! Oh well. I wouldn't trade it for anything!

tiffanypc05 said:
The most snow I have seen here in the past few years lasted only 5 minutes and the snowflakes evaporated before it even hit the ground...haha...you never know here what's going to happen....just a few years ago it was 85 and now it's almost freezing here. The most snow I've ever seen in my life was just a few inches....I would love to see about 2 feet of snow...that'd be wonderful!!!!

Come up my way Tiffany!!! you will have your share of snow to last you a lifetime! :)

Starting to see the grass here now! By end of April all the snow will be gone, then we get into Fog season!! hee hee By June the icebergs will be down from Greenland.. ahhhhh what a sight they are to see. I just love how pristine white and majestic they look. We get so many tourists come up our way just to see these icebergs and the whales!! Newfoundland is a beautiful place to call home. We may have all four seasons in one day and all weather in one day, but hey there is nowhere else in the world like us!

Wow!That sounds amazing!!

ChefAggi said:
Kitchen Guy by any chance are you from Newfoundland!
Wisconsin, actually, right along the west shore of Lake Michigan. The standard saying here is, "You don't like Wisconsin weather? Wait five minutes."

That is true of many places around the midwest. The lake plays such a big part of weather here, from rapid temperature changes to strange amounts of precipitation.

Let's face it - if there were one place on earth where the weather was ideal all the time, everyone would be trying to live there!

ChefAggi said:
Come up my way Tiffany!!! you will have your share of snow to last you a lifetime! :)

Starting to see the grass here now! By end of April all the snow will be gone, then we get into Fog season!! hee hee By June the icebergs will be down from Greenland.. ahhhhh what a sight they are to see. I just love how pristine white and majestic they look. We get so many tourists come up our way just to see these icebergs and the whales!! Newfoundland is a beautiful place to call home. We may have all four seasons in one day and all weather in one day, but hey there is nowhere else in the world like us!

It sounds beautiful, I would love to go up there someday...but right now the closest I will get to Newfoundland is my mothers dog, a Newfie named Baron!

you're invitedyou are invited to come to New Hampshire for the winter then you'd get to see a bit more snow than a dusting...and we take bets on when the snow mounds will melt in the parking lots...

momofdrew said:
you are invited to come to New Hampshire for the winter then you'd get to see a bit more snow than a dusting...and we take bets on when the snow mounds will melt in the parking lots...

We used to do that when I lived in Boston, we lived across the street from a fork in the road (not a real fork :rolleyes: just waiting for KG to make a smart comment on that one) and the plows would so lovingly pile up the snow there at the fork and it was always late May or early June when it was finally gone!

momofdrew said:
you are invited to come to New Hampshire for the winter then you'd get to see a bit more snow than a dusting...and we take bets on when the snow mounds will melt in the parking lots...

hee hee I'm figuring June by the time our snow molds in our parking lots fade! LOL they are pretty high this year! LOL
Perhaps a little friendly competition!!! hmm what could we compete for!!! hee hee I could do with a new cookware set.. pc of course!! :rolleyes: :p LOL hmmm perhaps a little less steep.. Bragging rights!!! Whose snow melts the fastest!
hee hee only 20 more mintues left to this work day and I can leave behind these cubicle prison walls for another while!

Cheers:rolleyes:

soonerchef said:
We used to do that when I lived in Boston, we lived across the street from a fork in the road (not a real fork :rolleyes: just waiting for KG to make a smart comment on that one) and the plows would so lovingly pile up the snow there at the fork and it was always late May or early June when it was finally gone!
Your "fork in the road" dig at me cuts like a butter knife.

There isn't much left, except for a favorite Yogi Berra'ism: When you come to a fork in the road, take it!

soonerchef said:
I just want to cry...we got 4 inches over night and there is no school today. Man, spring break was supposed to start on Thurs and seems it may have started early, this is so not fair and not a nice thing to do to the Mommies here. Allthough, without PC I would have to take a day off work to stay home with the kiddies!

I know what you mean-the snow started here yesterday (the first day of spring!) We got about 8 inches I think. I'm just glad I didn't have any shows scheduled until Friday so I didn't have to reschedule!:)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Your "fork in the road" dig at me cuts like a butter knife.

There isn't much left, except for a favorite Yogi Berra'ism: When you come to a fork in the road, take it!

I love hearing from you...I always get a good laugh!

Hey Kitchen Guy
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Wisconsin, actually, right along the west shore of Lake Michigan. The standard saying here is, "You don't like Wisconsin weather? Wait five minutes."

That is what we say about the weather on the Oregon Coast!!!! We can watch the rain clouds come in from the ocean.

Theresia Aylward
Lovin' it on the Central Oregon Coast

Tree said:
That is what we say about the weather on the Oregon Coast!!!! We can watch the rain clouds come in from the ocean.

Theresia Aylward
Lovin' it on the Central Oregon Coast
We really only have two seasons here:

Winter and Orange Barrel.

Seasonshmmm well here in Newfoundland we have ooh lets see how many seasons (counting on my fingers) Winter, Spring, Fog, Iceberg, Construction, Summer, Autumn, .. hmm I'm sure there are more!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers

The reasoning behind our schools being closed is because 1/2 of the roads here are dirt or gravel and they drift pretty bad. I live in the country and yes it is beautiful but also can be very dangerous for the buses to be out. So we would rather be safe than sorry and keep our kids home for a day or two. Our last snow we had here, I watched a car flip in front of me and they were going probably 35 miles an hour. And since everyone is venting on here lately about other things besides PC, like having to be at home with the kids or someone the other day because someone canceled a show on her birthday...its my turn!
I have been on bedrest almost 2 months so havent had any shows, have not been able to work my regular job, so for about 4 months wont have any income from me coming in, have been in the hospital twice have to go to the hospital/doctor every Mon and Thurs for ultra sounds and non stress tests, am going to be induced a month early because of high blood pressure and my one and only brother just passed away a week ago! And I am sure there are others on here that go through things like this every day...but I feel sometimes we need to pick and choose what we wine about! Thank you for letting me vent.

I live about 20 miles north of Boston and this year we have had very little snow. What snow we have had has not been snowman making snow, we were only able to make one this year. Last year we has so much snow, at times it snowed every other day.

Well the flowers are starting to come up and with no snow on the ground the grass will start getting greener soon. I just hope the temperature will start getting warmer. It has been cold for the last few days, I hope we dont' get a Spring snow storm this year.

Chef LoriRay,
I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Wow, it sounds like that happened at about the worst time possible. I had pre-eclampsia with my oldest and also had a terrible upper respiratory infection and pleurisy toward the end of that pregnancy. I only ended up being induced about 2 weeks early, but I had used up pretty much all of my sick time/PTO before I even had my son back when I was working full time.

I hope you're doing ok and things start looking better for you soon.:( I'm glad you vented! It's good to do that every so often.

chefloriray said:
And I am sure there are others on here that go through things like this every day...but I feel sometimes we need to pick and choose what we wine about! Thank you for letting me vent.

I am sure what you are going through is very difficult, I have been there. Sometimes whining about a measly 4 in of snow makes me feel normal believe it or not. 2003 was the worst and best year of my life, my oldest son was mauled by two pitbulls, the worst case in Las Vegas where a child survived. He required nuerosurgery to remove bone fragments from his brain from the 2 skull fractures he received, that's not counting the 4 hour plastic surgery to sew up his 30 other wounds that required over 200 stitches.. He had a PICC line for 6 weeks, no school for 8 weeks and ended up developing an allergry to all cepholasporins and penicilins. I was fired from my job because I had to take care of him! Then, had to go through IVF to get pg, I was on bed rest all but 2 weeks of my pregnancy, ended up in the hospital over Thanksgiving, I held out for 17 more days and delivered my twins 8 weeks early via emergency c-section, neither of my twins had amniotic fluid left, they were on C-pap and the whole 9 yards. We then spent X-mas and New Years in the hospital wtih them. This past January I lost 3 very close relatives within a 10 day span. So, I have been where you are right now and if I feel like whining about school being canceled then it is my choice and my right...I have earned it!

Sorry about the last post, I am feeling really puchy today.

Chefloriray- I am truely sorry for you loss and I know that bedrest is difficult. When you hold your little baby it will all be worth is in the end, I promise!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
winnee
Replies
Views
heather223