• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Was Nancy's Contract with Pampered Chef Not Renewed?

P
Pampered Laura
Okay. I just spoke to Nancy @ Nancy's Artworks. :eek: :(

The choice was NOT hers. She just found out a couple weeks ago that PC was not renewing her contract. She can not make/sell anything with the PC logo on it after end of August. She will be packing everything up and putting it on sale between now and then. She said she's already packing up and selling office supplies and her desks... and plans to go back to her basement like she began to pursue other stuff. Just not with PC.

I told her that I didnt like the new design that The Pampered Chef asked her to use beginning a while back (the sandstone line) and she agreed.
She said she didnt like it from the start, and even asked PC at that time, "Are you trying to get rid of me?" and the Home Office specifically told her, "No". Now, this. She sounded like she felt misled and like a rug got pulled out from under her... and I don't blame her.

I have called the Home Office and emailed:
Consultants Corner
>Managing Your Business
>Home Office Emails
>Licensed Merchandise Vendors
>Nancy's Artworks:

I told Nancy that a lot of us would be emailing & calling the Home Office. She said it won't make a difference, that the Pampered Chef was "very cut and dry" with her about this move. We talked for about 15 minutes.. she sounds so sad and angry and heartbroken. :(
UGH I'm so upset about this... I really hope they reconsider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Laura-

I just read my email from HO on this change. I don't know what to say!! :mad:

I am so upset right now. I will admit I haven't ordered to much from Nancy's in the past (haven't had the cash to invest) but now I have the cash flow coming in more and wanted to order a bunch or postcards stickers etc!!! I don't care for Merrill's prices or the newer look.

I will also send HO in hopes the read them and change their minds!!!!!

Kelly

I, too, just spoke to Nancy and sent an email to HO. Nancy sounds so sad. I am disgusted with the commercialization of PC as of late.

dannyzmom said:
I, too, just spoke to Nancy and sent an email to HO. Nancy sounds so sad. I am disgusted with the commercialization of PC as of late.

I have a feeling that it is exactly what this is about....commercialization. I know that her website isn't the most professional...but this is, I think, her life. :(

and it has been for over 13 years. Sickening.

Here's mine:
So you've unloaded Nancy. The Pampered Chef has done some pretty dumb things over the years, especially lately, but this has got to be about the dumbest thing you've done yet.It's obvious - Doris steps down and the new management has to put their (her?) stamp on things:New logo and tagline.The old printer gets dumped for Merrill. VIP gets dumped for Merrill. Now Nancy gets dumped for Merrill. Merrill is not popular with consultants but apparently, that doesn't matter. Merrill is now the ONLY provider for everything, with no competition against a vendor that is already perceived as being too expensive. This company operated just fine for 25 years - much of it a result of Nansy's efforts - and you've lost sight of the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."You're getting too slick for your consultants and, more importantly, for your client base. Since nothing is sacred, are we next? The consultants go away so TPC can be sold in malls? Nothing would suprise me anymore.

What a horrible way to end a 13-year relationship. Have you ever noticed that her site is not linked from Consultant's Corner? I never would have known that her site existed except for coming here and talking to other consultants.I am really mad they are putting a dedicated, small-business woman out of business. That's one thing I thought PC stood for, was our individual businesses. I don't know what the arrangement with Merril will be. I have some things through them, but I have never been impressed, especially with their customer service and reports on how they treat people at conference.

I can't wait to see how JACKED UP Merrill's prices will be either!!

Nancy's site has always been in text on Consultant's Corner, but no... never a logo/link like VIP and Merrill. Unfair. I do NOT like this. :(

Don't buy anything from them.Anything.Do not visit their booth at conference, either.You can buy business card and stationery stock at Office Cheapo and the like, and just create your own.Who needs 'em?

You know something this is jsut not right at all......

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Don't buy anything from them.

Anything.

Do not visit their booth at conference, either.

You can buy business card and stationery stock at Office Cheapo and the like, and just create your own.

Who needs 'em?

And we have great people right on this site who have created apparel for us - at much better prices.....

Email from Nancy I just got.... :( :(

Dear Laura,

It has been a pleasure to serve as a vendor the past 13 years. Thank you for your friendship and support. I’ve so enjoyed meeting with many consultants at conferences. I’ll miss swapping successes in your business. My plans are tentative as I think of my life after PC. I have promised myself a daily walk around the neighborhood pond to feed the ducks. I’ll need more than a month to stuff my desk back into my home basement after 13 years. My basement seems to have shrunk! Maybe I’ll get back to writing more children’s books and drawing cartoon family portraits.

Thank you again for your friendship. Indeed, I have been changed for the good.

God bless you,
Nancy

P.S. Your orders are still very welcome!

dannyzmom said:
Yes... Its a shame because Nancy's is a company like this once was: built by one woman. I still think this is a great company, but I took some heat a little while back for making the comment, "You can tell Doris isn't in charge any more." about another issue. Please know, that I'm not trying to upset anyone by bringing it up. And, I'm not saying Doris was perfect or was always right, but you could at least respect her decisions because it was her business, that she built from the ground, up. I just think when a company is run by someone other than the person who built it, its rarely better. Case in point: How many times do you hear how some people built a business and then their kids took it over and ran it into the ground? I'm not saying that that's what will happen here, but I can say that there have been lots of changes but not any huge improvements since Doris left.

Here's the email I just sentI have never ordered from Nancy but like what I have seen of hers. I normally do my own stuff. BUT I cannot stand by to see people treated this way and for one company to have a "monopoly" on our merchandise.

"I am writing this in regard to your no longer allowing Nancy's Artworks to be a licensed dealer.

I personally cannot afford Merrill's prices on their products already. I think it is unhealthy for a company to take away competition and variety of products that a consultant can order. I am in the PC business to make money, not to have to spend all of my commission promoting my business because PC decided to give all merchandising rights to one company. I like to have choices in the things that I can purchase to promote my business.

I do not agree with breaking a relationship with a vendor that has been with a company for many years unless the consultants are not satisfied with what they are getting. The feedback I am receiving from other consultants in NO WAY is against Nancy. Everyone I have talked to is outraged with the change!

I hope that you will take in the view of the consultant's and allow Nancy to continue as a vendor. If not, I hope that you put into Merrill's contract the right to have some control over their prices so that we consultant can afford their items if we are forced to have no other option to choose. Of course, we can choose the option of not ordering from them at all if we are not happy with them.

I have been with PC a little over a year and love the way consultants' opinion are heard and how PC treats their consultants. I hope that you will take our opinion to heart in that matter as well."

Last edited:
AJPratt said:
Yes... Its a shame because Nancy's is a company like this once was: built by one woman. I still think this is a great company, but I took some heat a little while back for making the comment, "You can tell Doris isn't in charge any more." about another issue. Please know, that I'm not trying to upset anyone by bringing it up. And, I'm not saying Doris was perfect or was always right, but you could at least respect her decisions because it was her business, that she built from the ground, up. I just think when a company is run by someone other than the person who built it, its rarely better. Case in point: How many times do you hear how some people built a business and then their kids took it over and ran it into the ground? I'm not saying that that's what will happen here, but I can say that there have been lots of changes but not any huge improvements since Doris left.

Amen!! Change is not always better. That's like when a product has "new and improved" labeled on it - it is usually new and worse!:D

I think you are going to see more and more consultant breaking the contract with PC in that they'll create and have their own stuff printed up with local vendors using the PC logo.

PC is going to be their own demise. This pretty much makes me wish I hadn't resigned or registered to go to conference.

hoosierchef said:
I think you are going to see more and more consultant breaking the contract with PC in that they'll create and have their own stuff printed up with local vendors using the PC logo.

PC is going to be their own demise. This pretty much makes me wish I hadn't resigned or registered to go to conference.

Too funny - didn't realize you meant re - signed or "signed again" and thought you resigned...as in quit...

Oh! I thought that too. Ah, that makes much more sense. You're "pre-seasoned" like me ;)

Might I suggest we flood Nancy with emails telling her we love her and that we don't agree with this... She will answer your email, I bet. She's super cool like that :D

[email protected]

AJPratt said:
Anne, I'm seriously reconsidering attending conference. For one reason, I'm in need of a medical procedure that was supposed to have been performed in March but the providers screwed it up - and July is my next window of opportunity. Secondly, I'm physically ill at what has happened today and my faith in TPC as a supportive vendor has been deeply shaken.

They yanked the old printer for Merrill.

They yanked VIP for Merrill.

They yanked Nancy for exclusivity by Merrill.

Anyone see a trend here? We didn't really like VIP very much but we all seem to like Merrill even less. The other fact people are missing is that VIP was a company Jay started.

Out with the old...

I wonder if we're next? Will TPC now be in the mall next to Williams-Sonoma? Nothing will suprirse me about this company anymore.

I am emailing home office right now! I have never ordered from Merrill and have only ordered from nancy's!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's my 2 cents...maybe we should boycott Merrill - at least for a little while...I understand that we all need to purchase business building materials, but perhaps we should all stock up on nancy's stuff now, and bypass Merrill for a while. I do not care for their stuff or their prices. Wouldn't that be SOMETHING for everyone to not visit their booth at conference? Just a thought...not a good one, but 2 cents ain't worth much anymore! ha.

Office Cheapo has everything I need, except for the logo...and I can live without that.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Office Cheapo has everything I need, except for the logo...and I can live without that.

You can get the logo off CC!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Anne, I'm seriously reconsidering attending conference.

Ooohhh, I'll put a prayer request thread up for you! :D

I'm sorry that you have to have this procedure done. I don't think you were in my Wave for conference, so I won't miss you as far as not seeing you at conference... although maybe you could change waves and be in my wave!

And, I knew that VIP was Jay's company, and he stepped down right about when Doris did. And PC putting all of their eggs in one basket is not a good idea.

I can't remember the last thing I even ordered from Merrill.

I can live without the logo too!! I am going to boycott Merrill!! I am gonna stock up with Nancy when she starts her sales!!

I just received an order I placed with Merrill a couple weeks ago. I wish I hadn't. :(

I just did the only thing I think can truly help Nancy-- I placed an order.

Kim, that's awesome. Let's flood Nancy w/ orders to show how much you care!!! Today's payday!!!

I just ordered 50 HWC invitations from Merrill yesterday, and with taxes and S&H it was over $25!!! I was surprised at the cost when the final tally came through. I have not ordered much from them either, as I think they are too expensive.

It is very disappointing that we only have 1 vendor to choose. I liked the variety offered by having 3 places to look, and 3 different price levels.

Hey, KG, I'll be keeping you in prayer.

eeek. Stop the presses. I just got a phone call from the Home Office. Apparently the home office has a lurker on the board and/or someone emailed them my post about "who to contact". She was reading it word for word... LOL :eek:
She asked me to NOT encourage an email campaign. She did say that personal letters were welcome, and that creative/concrete/constructive ideas were best.

See, I called this morning to lodge a complaint. I asked the best route to take --- email vs. phone. The Solution Center told me "Please don't call, that clogs up our queue"... and that EMAIL was the best route to take in voicing our opinion on this, but apparently that is wrong wrong wrong.

The home office has noted that the field is not happy - but it's not going to change. Here's what we CAN do to move forward and be productive. We need to let the home office know what we DO want, instead of what we don't.

Email through CC>Managing Your Business>Home Office Emails>Licensed Vendors>

Home Office wants to know:
What postcards/supplies you want to see
Designs you like
Styles that would help you
Product categories you'd like to see
Fonts/spacing changes that would make the products better
Prices that would be reasonable

They want CONSTRUCTIVE and CONCRETE ideas... not just complaints. They know we're not happy. She said that there are two sides to the story and that this adjustment was NOT made lightly. She understands that Consultants are acting on passion here, and she wanted us to be aware that this was not a move made overnight.
Legally, she couldnt give me more information than that, but I do believe her in that there's more to the story and that the Home Office has our best interests/marketing in mind.

I did get to express my concerns about Nancy being a woman in business, starting just like Doris did, and that it scared us that they were moving her out. She was really sweet and listened to my concerns (and some of the concerns that you guys have expressed here) and assured me that it was not an easy thing, and that there's more to it than just that.

From what I got from the conversation, I think they have marketing and business ideas to see to, and that it's really not a personal thing between the Home Office and Nancy herself...it's just "time" to move on, I guess.

Soo... I'm jumping on the "Productive Train". Getting my thinking cap on to come up with lots of ideas that I want them to share with Merrill to get what we want out of them. Who's with me? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes! I have a couple of guesses who would forward such a thing. He he he...

Anyway...

Laura, if you are volunteering to forward our ideas, here are a few I have:

As far as pricing, something comparable to Nancy's or even less would be good. A variety of Post cards or stationary to match consultant personalities. I like the professional approach, but I also like "fun", too! And items that we need like HWC invites, we shouldn't be forced to spend $25 on 50 invites. They should be available for a lot less, and most likely with our supply form. We do this fundraiser every year... the invites will always be good. Perhaps whoever prints up the regular show invites could do it.

More imprinted promotional items - INEXPENSIVE - that we can afford give out: pens, post-its, hats, mugs, etc. If they want to know about pricing they should do some cort of comp to find out what most sites charge for this type of thing. I do this sort of thing for the stations I work for and believe me, we DO NOT pay what we consutlants are expected to pay.

And, I guess to be fair, like my quote says, "There's 3 sides to every story..."

AJPratt said:
Yikes! I have a couple of guesses who would forward such a thing. He he he...

I am reading your mind (and that is a scary thing!) Another thing to make you go hmmmm

I'm kinda thinking of quitting my business... it's not just because of Nancy's, but I just see how things have changed so much in the years.... I was a consultant from 2000 to 2004 and the re-signed last year. It's totally different. And I am not sure that I like it... we'll see... but right now, I feel very discouraged.

jaye said:
I'm kinda thinking of quitting my business... it's not just because of Nancy's, but I just see how things have changed so much in the years.... I was a consultant from 2000 to 2004 and the re-signed last year. It's totally different. And I am not sure that I like it... we'll see... but right now, I feel very discouraged.

I'm with ya there Jaye. I am going to see how things go at my 2 May shows (if they actually happen). I am beginning to shift my priorities and I am putting school first. By the summer I should be starting my Masters work and that is going to be hairy enough.

Nah, don't quit. You can have a successful business with anything the company gives you. As long as they don't double the prices or take away host rewards or commission or trips, I'm in for the long haul. :D

I'm disappointed, but haven't caught up on all the stuff since I'm at work...

I personally really like the "home business" feel of Nancy's...I like the little stickers, the colors that attract attention.

The stamps looked nice because they were home-like, like Doris' "come to the table" vs. industrialized.

Merrill is professional, clean and neat (AND EXPENSIVE), but the magic of Nancy's is that when I'm home spending time with my kids, my kitchen isn't spotless and black and white, it has character...Nancy's designs had that homemade character...

JMHO...

...and wow Laura, you got quite the response...sounds like HO wasn't expecting a reaction! ...kind of interesting in a way that they knew what was happening here, but good I guess, the ideas will go somewhere...

KimmyDarling said:
I just did the only thing I think can truly help Nancy-- I placed an order.

I did too!

Not to be on the wrong side of this and stick my neck out - BUT... Maybe we should not be so quick to light the torches and storm the HO. Before we jump the gun and quit or reconsider conference, why not take the high road and believe that HO has good reasons for the things they do. We can still order from Nancy's ( I am a customer) and MAYBE have a great thing in Merrill. I've never been a huge fan of Merrill (worked with them in a previous job) but can we at least wait and see?

Please, of course, email Nancy and tell her you love her. But please also sit back and think of all the things you want but aren't available and email HO your suggestions. I know I am more likely to give my sons what they want when they ask sweetly. You know the adage -- you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

Okay -- now you can start yelling at me.

No one will yell at you - we've been talking about this further up in this thread. :)

Yeah, Mandy, no one will yell at you. We'll just light the torches and come after you!:D

I'm very sad to see Nancy's go. I loved meeting Nancy at conference. She was so warm and cordial, generally interested in US, whereas the other vendors, to me, were just "business".

I don't know if there's really anyone here that would "report" to HO (please, let's not go down THAT road), but there probably are HO lurkers. I say let 'em lurk, because it's a good way for them to know what consultants are feeling. I know the HO uses a lot of directors and above in their decision making, but sometimes they need to hear the "low man on the totem pole", so to speak.

I'm going to go do what Kim said - place an order with Nancy, and offer my condolences. I still will send HO an e-mail once I have time to process all of this. I have to admit that I'm not particularly fond of the changes over the last few years (I've been a consultant for six years so I feel I can speak with some experience) and I would love to put together an e-mail to express my general disatisfaction without getting too emotional. I still love the PC products, just not the direction in which the company has been going.

Mandy, I think we understand that HO does what they feel is best for the company. Tough to say goodbye to an old friend like Nancy's, though. Like I said: "There are three sides to every story; his side, her side, and what really happened."

And, there are people on this site who do report others to HO. Admitedly, I have in the past, but haven't reported anyone in quite some time nor do I plan on it. We openly discuss being reported all the time (ebay, website links, whatever). Like Laura said, its a possibilty.

I don't mind if there are lurkers, it does give them an honest look at what affects the decisions they make have on the end-users (us). That kind of info is priceless for a company. If I was ever asked my opinion on something, I'm not going to change it because its someone from HO because that wouldn't help. Nothing is gained if you're not upfront. Its a great feeling to know we work with a company that does listen and cares about what we think!

My Dad always said: "Always tell the truth and be up front. You might not have a lot of friends, but you'll never have any enemies because people will always know where you're coming from."

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Out with the old...

I wonder if we're next? Will TPC now be in the mall next to Williams-Sonoma? Nothing will suprirse me about this company anymore.

Maybe we will be next to the Tupperware vendor, you know the "other" kitchen show people.

MandyK said:
Not to be on the wrong side of this and stick my neck out - BUT... Maybe we should not be so quick to light the torches and storm the HO. Before we jump the gun and quit or reconsider conference, why not take the high road and believe that HO has good reasons for the things they do. We can still order from Nancy's ( I am a customer) and MAYBE have a great thing in Merrill. I've never been a huge fan of Merrill (worked with them in a previous job) but can we at least wait and see?

Please, of course, email Nancy and tell her you love her. But please also sit back and think of all the things you want but aren't available and email HO your suggestions. I know I am more likely to give my sons what they want when they ask sweetly. You know the adage -- you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

Okay -- now you can start yelling at me.

I stink at linking, but I just posted something similar to this on the other thread of "No more Nancy's" So you and I can be roasted in the pit together...you don't look like you have much meat on you so they will feast on me first...if I don't break the spicket they roast us on!!!

KG...I am so sorry to hear about your medical challenges. I hope all goes well with you and keep us posted. I hope it doesn't involve your ability to type! If it does, we will hire someone to type for you so you can stay on with us.

I love Nancy's and hate to see her go. I personally hated VIP and I hate Merrill. They are too expensive and most of their items are ugly. Nancy always has cute stuff that is affordable. I will be placing an order soon. I am sure HO has the best interest of the "company" in mind, but that may not be the best interest of us "little people". The people who make a living with PC are very blessed and this may be a great move for them, but most consultants I know are part time or hobby consultants and can't afford the prices Merrill has. And, I do not think it is a good idea to have only 1 vendor. When there is no competition the rules are thrown out the window. Merrill is going to have to do some major changing before they get my money. I will buy plain business cards at WalMart and print my own without the logo. I always buy my cards from Nancy. I guess I better stock up. Perhaps PC should just provide our business card and stationary needs on the supply order form. This really stinks.

genburk said:
Maybe we will be next to the Tupperware vendor, you know the "other" kitchen show people.

That would be very disappointing! I think it hurts the business. I wonder the same thing about Avon. They advertise on television which has got to help sales, but like us they have a referral program so only the higher ups get to take advantage of it. I would hate to see something like that happen.

I haven't send an email to HO. I am not sure if I will. I do not think it will affect this current decision. They are not going to bring Nancy's back. :( Hopefully, those among us that are eloquent speakers and writers will pass on the ideas and suggestions for betterment from the board. The major thing that needs to come from Merrill is price conscienceness. If they are going to be our only supplier we need versatility...versatility in price, selection, products and shipping options. We need better customer service from them. They could at least act like they want our business. I would like to see a vehicle logo sticker like Town & Country had. That is one product I miss from them. Also, T&C's business stamp ink dried much faster than Merrill's ink. We need a variety of style options. I personally, disliked the red and white checked stuff from Nancy's, but I know ALOT of you loved it! I like some of the new images and styles from Merrill, but I know some of you don't fancy it. We just need variety and options. They want us to get specific, but it is hard other than we liked what we had!!:eek:

MandyK said:
Before we jump the gun and quit or reconsider conference, why not take the high road and believe that HO has good reasons for the things they do.
It's pretty obvious - the new regime needs to bury the old regime and eliminate all links to the past. This no longer Doris' company and they're going to make sure the world knows it.

Of all the dumb things they've done, this is about the dumbest. If not eliminating Nanacy, at least, the non-descript way they did it.

AJPratt said:
Ooohhh, I'll put a prayer request thread up for you! :D
Thanks, and thanks for the warm thoughts from everyone, but this is not as big a deal as some of you are making it out to be. This isn't like open heart or anything. :)

<h2>1. Why is The Pampered Chef not renewing Nancy's contract?</h2><p>The decision to not renew Nancy's contract was made by The Pampered Chef, and it was not her choice. She found out a couple weeks ago and will no longer be able to use the PC logo on her products after the end of August.</p><h2>2. What will happen to Nancy's Artworks products?</h2><p>Nancy will be packing up and selling all of her products between now and the end of August. She will no longer be able to sell anything with the PC logo on it.</p><h2>3. Why is Nancy going back to her basement to pursue other things?</h2><p>Nancy mentioned that she will go back to her basement to pursue other things because she will no longer be able to sell her products with the PC logo on them.</p><h2>4. What was the reason behind the decision to not renew Nancy's contract?</h2><p>Nancy mentioned that she didn't like the new design that The Pampered Chef asked her to use (the sandstone line). She even asked if they were trying to get rid of her, but the Home Office assured her that they were not. However, the sudden decision to not renew her contract has left her feeling misled and hurt.</p><h2>5. Will contacting the Home Office make a difference in this decision?</h2><p>Nancy believes that contacting the Home Office will not make a difference, as they have already made a "cut and dry" decision about not renewing her contract. However, many consultants have expressed their disappointment and are still reaching out to the Home Office in hopes of reconsideration.</p>

1. Why is The Pampered Chef not renewing Nancy's contract?

The decision to not renew Nancy's contract was made by The Pampered Chef, and it was not her choice. She found out a couple weeks ago and will no longer be able to use the PC logo on her products after the end of August.

2. What will happen to Nancy's Artworks products?

Nancy will be packing up and selling all of her products between now and the end of August. She will no longer be able to sell anything with the PC logo on it.

3. Why is Nancy going back to her basement to pursue other things?

Nancy mentioned that she will go back to her basement to pursue other things because she will no longer be able to sell her products with the PC logo on them.

4. What was the reason behind the decision to not renew Nancy's contract?

Nancy mentioned that she didn't like the new design that The Pampered Chef asked her to use (the sandstone line). She even asked if they were trying to get rid of her, but the Home Office assured her that they were not. However, the sudden decision to not renew her contract has left her feeling misled and hurt.

5. Will contacting the Home Office make a difference in this decision?

Nancy believes that contacting the Home Office will not make a difference, as they have already made a "cut and dry" decision about not renewing her contract. However, many consultants have expressed their disappointment and are still reaching out to the Home Office in hopes of reconsideration.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
AlowayFamily
  • Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies
Views
Admin Greg