• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overdraft Charges: A Catalog Show Story

In summary, a consultant shares her experience of closing a catalog show on Monday and the host's debit card being charged immediately. The host ended up bouncing 5 checks and being charged with overdraft fees, which the consultant feels responsible for. However, others in the conversation point out that it is not entirely her fault and suggest not taking on the full cost of the bounced checks.
sunnygirl in nd
I just closed on a catalog show on Monday. The host was worried when her debit card would go through. I told her I thought it would be a couple of days so she wouldn't have to worry - she was waiting for one check for $200 from someone and was expecting it that day. I sent it in at 1:00 p.m. on Monday and her bank took it out that afternoon and charged her wtih $187 of overdraft charges because she bounced 5 checks! They forgave some of it so she now owes $112. It's really my fault so now I have to turn around and give her my commission check when it comes. Boy did I learn a hard lesson!

Re: Ugggg!!!!!I'm so sorry to hear that. It is a hard lesson. Just for clarification, HO usually waits until the show is shipped to debit your account, but customer/host cards are processed right away.

I wish I had a suggestion as to how to resolve this without it costing you money, but it sounds like the bank is doing all they're willing to do.

Re: Ugggg!!!!!How is her bouncing 5 checks your fault? It can't be completely your fault. Maybe you can split the diff.

Re: Ugggg!!!!!
AJPratt said:
How is her bouncing 5 checks your fault? It can't be completely your fault. Maybe you can split the diff.

I agree. Why is it that when someone doesn't manage their finances in a healthy and responsible way, they blame everyone but themselves?

pampchefsarah said:
I'm so sorry to hear that. It is a hard lesson. Just for clarification, HO usually waits until the show is shipped to debit your account, but customer/host cards are processed right away.

That's good to know! I had no idea. Thanks!

Re: Ugggg!!!!!It was me who encouraged her that it would be a couple of days before her debit card was charged - I don't know what I was thinking.....I know that's what they do with our debit cards but I wasn't thinking. She wanted her stuff before this week-end and was in a different town so I was trying to figure out how we could close and she could get her stuff. I decided that I really didn't do much for the show - it was a catalog one in a different town -I gave her the stuff at a party so I didn't even have any postage. Her show was $500 but it was only 5 orders so it wasn't a lot of my time. I will make about $125 so I guess I'll call it a wash. She sells Upper Case Living and I was going to do a catalog show for her but I'm not going to now. I just want to put this behind me!

sunnygirl in nd said:
It was me who encouraged her that it would be a couple of days before her debit card was charged - I don't know what I was thinking.....I know that's what they do with our debit cards but I wasn't thinking. She wanted her stuff before this week-end and was in a different town so I was trying to figure out how we could close and she could get her stuff. I decided that I really didn't do much for the show - it was a catalog one in a different town -I gave her the stuff at a party so I didn't even have any postage. Her show was $500 but it was only 5 orders so it wasn't a lot of my time. I will make about $125 so I guess I'll call it a wash. She sells Upper Case Living and I was going to do a catalog show for her but I'm not going to now. I just want to put this behind me!

Yes but she authorized the payment knowing the money wasn't there. This is not your fault. What if this happened at Walmart?

Re: Ugggg!!!!!She authorized the payment and she wanted it to be delivered by the weekend. Your encouragement wasn't forced. If you were trying to meet your deadline for yourself and you guilted her into closing then I could see paying the fees

Re: Ugggg!!!!!if i were you i would only if i had to pay her what your transaction caused...so what maybe a $35 overdraft fee, i don't think you should be responsible for the 5 checks that bounced...its her fault she didn't have the money in there and told you to run it.

Re: Ugggg!!!!!Definitely don't eat the $187, or even half of it. If she did this to you, she is used to bouncing checks. (Really, she is.) Tell her you feel badly and want to provide the best customer service to her, and you would be willing to SPLIT ONE of the NSF fees, if she would like. In the future, get a check from her, or accept cash only. She will respect you for demanding her best!

Re: Ugggg!!!!!What happened was that her bank took out the largest check/debit then bounced 5 smaller ones. That is not your fault. If she had an outstanding check of $200, she was nuts to think she would have it the next day. I would NOT offer to pay more than one of the fees at the most. I agree with Elaine and Jessica that it was her problem for wanting the show order by Saturday (which may or may not make it) enough to want you to submit it before she had all the money herself!

Re: Ugggg!!!!!I agree, the bank took out the biggest amount and then bounced the 5 checks. If she were a good customer they would be willing to work with her and only debit 1 overdraft fee. I would want proof from her that your debit actually bounced her checks before handing the cash over to her. That is a lot of money!

I had this happen to me last year, but my story was a little different. I put the wrong total at the bottom of her receipt. PC ended up debiting about $8 more out of her account (it was for spices which I missed on the form). I had a note to call her to tell her the correct amount, but put it aside while inputting all the orders and forgot. I offered to go to her bank with her and make it right. Guess what - she didn't want me to. I did end up having PC credit the difference from what they charged and the total I had at the bottom of the check. I asked them to take it out of my commission.

I wrote her a registered letter appologizing for the error, which she said she was going to take to her bank to get it resolved - instead of me going with her. She never did give me any proof, and I never did send her any money. I think she blamed me at first, but then found out it really wasn't the amount I over charged that bounced her account.

Best of luck.

1. What are overdraft charges and how do they affect catalog show orders?

Overdraft charges are fees that are assessed by a bank when a customer's account does not have enough funds to cover a transaction. In the context of a catalog show order, this means that if a customer's account does not have enough money to cover the payment for their order, they may incur additional fees from their bank.

2. How can I avoid incurring overdraft charges on my catalog show orders?

To avoid overdraft charges, it is important to make sure that you have enough funds in your bank account to cover the cost of your catalog show order. This may mean keeping track of your expenses and budgeting accordingly, or setting up alerts with your bank to notify you when your account balance is low.

3. Are overdraft charges the same for every bank?

No, overdraft charges can vary from bank to bank. Some banks may have lower fees or different policies for overdraft charges, so it is important to check with your specific bank to understand their policies and fees.

4. Can I dispute an overdraft charge on my catalog show order?

If you believe that an overdraft charge was incorrectly applied to your catalog show order, you can contact your bank to dispute the charge. Make sure to have all relevant information, such as your order details and bank statements, when making your dispute.

5. Do overdraft charges affect my credit score?

No, overdraft charges do not directly impact your credit score. However, if you do not pay the fees and they are sent to a collection agency, it could potentially impact your credit score. It is important to pay any overdraft charges in a timely manner to avoid any negative impact on your credit.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
kam
  • naekelsey
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
naekelsey
  • ChefBeckyD
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies