• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Using Fresh Gingerroot: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, fresh gingerroot is yummy, but you have to be careful not to overcook it or it will become stringy. You can also Peel and chop the gingerroot with a food chopper before using it in a recipe or you can grate it with a microplane grater.
pkd09
Silver Member
I have never used fresh gingerroot. Can someone please tell me what to do if I need it in a recipe? How embarassing!!!!

Don't worry, you aren ot alone! I just used it for the first time on Sunday night. I followed the directions, peel and finely chop with food chopper. That is all I know!

Don't worry. You're not the only one. I actually avoid recipes that call for ginger.

I love ginger in the recipes, yummy! I usually peel the ginger root with the Quick Cut Paring Knife and then cut into small pieces and press in the garlic press, the juice is what is really important in most of the recipes.

Another tip for those of you who might not know...when you go to the grocery store and you see the huge ginger roots, you don't have to buy the whole thing...just break off a piece that is the size that you need and purchase that!

Fresh ginger is yummy! You can chop it with your food chopper or grate it with microplane grater- peel first either way. You can also crunch it with your garlic press (scrape off peel first), you'll get juice. I chop what's left in the press in food chopper cup and add to recipe.
You can also freeze fresh ginger. That's what I usually do because my grocery doesn't always have good fresh ginger. Scrape peel first and freeze in plastic wrap. The only bad thing is that it becomes kind of stringy when it's been frozen and can only be grated. HTH. :D

I don't peel first when I use the garlic press. It works just like it does with garlic, the skin is left behind. I get some pulp and lots of juice when I use the garlic press. I hate working with ginger any other way. It is soo small and such a pain in the butt to work around the knobs in the ginger. I like to just pop it in the garlic press and have at it.

Chefweezie--Question...did someone tell you to scrape it first before freezing? Because everything I've heard says to leave the skin on until you are ready to use it and that includes to freeze it (according to Emeril and Rachel Ray on the Food Network)

amya said:
Don't worry. You're not the only one. I actually avoid recipes that call for ginger.

I had to laugh when I read this:D I've avoided this ingredient also, but am thinking of trying it. I want to try the recipe for the mandarin pasta salad I saw here the other day. I think it had gingerroot & sounded yummy! I guess we all have to step out of our comfort zones sometimes!

I've just always scraped the skin off before putting it in the freezer and I cut it up into usable size pieces.....I think maybe my brother suggested removing the skin. How does it do with the skin on? Do you think removing the skin affects the flavor? :confused:

Last edited:
Here's a fun fact for your shows--Fresh ginger is a major aphrodesiac. I would always mention that when doing the potstickers last fall. Of course, in that recipe if you put too much ginger in, you'll ruin the balance of flavors, so I always had to tell them not to overdo it or you might kill somebody. When they laughed, I would act confused and then say, "NO! I meant the flavor!!"

What is fresh gingerroot and how do I use it?

Fresh gingerroot is a root vegetable that is commonly used as a spice in cooking. To use it, simply peel off the skin with a vegetable peeler or the edge of a spoon, and then grate or chop the ginger to add to your dish.

Can I substitute ground ginger for fresh gingerroot?

While ground ginger can provide a similar flavor to fresh gingerroot, it is not a direct substitution. Fresh gingerroot has a stronger and fresher flavor, and it also adds a bit of texture to dishes. It is best to use fresh gingerroot when a recipe calls for it.

How do I store fresh gingerroot?

It is best to store fresh gingerroot in the refrigerator, either in a plastic bag or wrapped in a paper towel. It can also be frozen for longer storage, but make sure to slice or grate it first for easier use.

What are some dishes that use fresh gingerroot?

Fresh gingerroot can be used in a variety of dishes, such as stir-fries, curries, marinades, and soups. It can also be added to hot tea or used in baking for a unique flavor.

Can I use ginger powder instead of fresh gingerroot?

Ginger powder can be used as a substitute for fresh gingerroot, but the flavor and texture may be slightly different. It is best to use fresh gingerroot when possible, but if you only have ginger powder on hand, use 1/4 teaspoon for every 1 inch of fresh gingerroot called for in a recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Mel92504
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Mel92504
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
fifiplc