• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Have My Sugar Test Friday - Please Pray I Pass

I had to go through the 3 hour test. I did the presentation to let people know that it is not just a one day event and that you can still have a healthy pregnancy even if you have it.
jrstephens
I have my 28 week sugar test Friday morning. Please, pray that I will pass it and not have to go back for the 3 hour one. I failed it with Luke and had to go back for the 3 hour one which thankfully I passed. I would love to not have to do that long one this time though!

Thanks in advance!!!

praying for you - i am not looking forward to mine either - i did the same thing when pg with Erynn! i was soooo sick of the "vampires"!! lol

Will definitely keep you in my thoughts! I didn't have to do the 3 hour for DS but did for DD... there's just somethng cruel about keeping a pregnant woman away from food and bev for sooo long and then sucking her blood out. At least with DD I was smart enough to have packed some food in my car!

Youre in my prayers Jennifer...best of luck! Stay positive!

Been there, has both for both kids and failed both (I had gestational diabetes). I hope you pass the first time! If not, I'd be glad to walk you through some diet tips and I'm sure many here have been through the same thing!!!Let us know how you do!

Jennifer... praying that the test goes smoothly and that you pass the first one so you don't have to endure the second longer one!

Good luck Jennifer! I had mine done on Monday and now have to go back this Monday for the 3 hour test...never had that before...last time everything was so smooth~
Hope you pass with flying colors!!!

pckrissy said:
Good luck Jennifer! I had mine done on Monday and now have to go back this Monday for the 3 hour test...never had that before...last time everything was so smooth~
Hope you pass with flying colors!!!

Krissy,

I pray that all goes well with your extended test. I failed the first one with Luke but passed the second one. Hopefully, you will do the same.

My husband who is a History major and PE minor told me to walk while waiting to have my blood drawn to get my "natural" insulin to working. And when I did that I passed. I plan to walk Friday even if I have to walk in place with everyone staring at me, haha!! I really have thought of going to the bathroom and waking in place if I have to wait in the waiting room for my doctor's appointment during the 30 minutes in between drawing the blood.

:angel: Bumping for prayers tonight and in the morning. I got at 830. I will post my results when I get back in the afternoon. It's a 90 mile drive one way to my doctor, so, we will be later getting back. And I need to stop at a few places.

I haven't had any carbs today, so, hopefully that will help keep my sugar low.

Thanks!:angel:

I don't think it is very healthy to scue the tests and not conitnue to be healthy afterwards. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the test in the first place?

chefallison53 said:
I don't think it is very healthy to scue the tests and not conitnue to be healthy afterwards. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the test in the first place?

I personally do not think so b/c my doctor has already told me she thinks it just took me a little longer to process it b/c I am small with my first child. I do not eat unhealthy anyway, so, it is not like I am going from eating bunches of junk and unhealthy stuff to totally healthy just for one day and then go back to horrible eating habits.

I know people that take precautions before it all the time and know nurses that will tell you to do the same thing.

Thanks for your concern though!

Good luck Jennifer...I hope it goes well!!

I'll check back to see how you did!

janetupnorth said:
Been there, has both for both kids and failed both (I had gestational diabetes).

I hope you pass the first time! If not, I'd be glad to walk you through some diet tips and I'm sure many here have been through the same thing!!!

Let us know how you do!

Me, too... with all three! However, I was really lucky and was able to control my sugars with diet alone and never had to do insulin. Although the QID fingerpricks weren't much fun. Oh well...

Sending some prayers your way!!

Bumping... I did a presentation today on gestational diabetes and thought about you... How did it go??

Tropicalburstqt2 said:
Bumping... I did a presentation today on gestational diabetes and thought about you... How did it go??

What was your presentation for?

praying for yoU!I am thinking about you today too! I had Gestational Diabetes with my first baby.. they didn't even let me take the second test I scored SO high.. so that was ..wow what a challenge of a diet.. worked out fine.. but yes my fingers were SO sore .. tested 5 times a day.. yuck.

Lucked out with my baby girl and passed fine.. so hopefully you'll be fine.. if not then either way do what works for your health and the baby's health.

I did my test 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back so I guess I passed! They said they would call if I had to do the longer test. I had forgotten it had been that long (I was sick the beginning of this week and time got away from me!) I had forgotten about it until I read this post!

Good luck on your test!

I'm backWell, I am back. I FAILED it and like Jess I failed it so bad they are not doing the second test.It is suppose to be under 135 and mine was 208. The nurse kept saying something must be wrong with it b/c she was sure I would pass and called the other nurse in and she told her no, that she knew I was going to be awful b/c she had just tested the urine and it was awful.

I told my dr all the percautions I had taken and she said if I hadn't it probably would have been close to 300. She did not seem too worried about me with it though. She said anyone over 200 they go ahead and treat as if you have gestational diabetes without the 2nd test.

I go back in two weeks and will go see my dr and go to the diagnosic center for them to go over diet and "pricking." Have I ever mentioned how much I HATE anything like a needle?!! UH! I think if she was to concerned about me she would not have me wait two weeks. The nurse is going to set my appointment up with the DCR center and call me with the appointment. Since I live so far away they are going to try to have it the same as my dr's appointment which is two weeks from today.

Please, keep your prayers up for me! Thank you for the ones you have said so far.I know that God is watching over me and baby Cole and will continue to do so.

Oh Jennifer I'm sorry you failed it.....it will be ok though.....your a trooper!

While GD is a big deal, it isn't a big deal. Are you going to have to do insulin? If not, just watching what you eat is a pain, but very doable. And when you get your meter, get one of the newer ones if your insurance will cover it. Lots of the newer models require less to do your tests... especially the ones where you can do the prick in your forearm.

From experience with GD x3, after I started the diabetic diet... I felt SOOOOO much better!

Here's another I had gestational diabetes mommy!!

I had to test 6 times a day and give myself insulin shots twice a day. It really wasn't that bad! (and I hate needles, too!!!!) Just remember that you have to do whatever it takes to have a happy, healthy baby! That is the important thing.

Good luck!

Jennifer- go to your consultation, and test like you are told - it isn't THAT bad - you don't see the needle and you can adjust the depth.

Start charting what you are eating (in detail) immediately and you readings. Test in the morning and before each meal, one hour after and 2 hours after to start until you find out your "trigger foods".

Then cut them out. I suggest starting with breads and other carbohydrates. Those are the longer-acting sugars and tend to be worse with gestational diabetes.

Behave yourself and you will have a happy, healthy baby. My first was 6 lbs. 10 oz. 1 week late. My second (which I didn't behave on in the end - was going nuts not having carbs) was 9 lbs. 6 oz!!!! Healthy but OUCH! Worth behaving!!!!

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry to hear that your numbers came back so high (it just doesn't sound right to say YOU failed it!). I'll continue to keep you and Cole in my prayers. Even though you're going to have to take some extra steps to ensure a safe and healthy pregnancy and baby, isn't it great to know that these tests and measures ARE available?

God Bless!

Sorry to hear about your test Jennifer..but just like everyone else said, you want to do everything possible for a happy and healthy baby....
Hope it all goes well...take care!! May isn't too far away....

Awww... sorry but I know God will give you the strength to get through this so that both your and your baby will be healthy! Behave okay???? It will be SO worth it!

Jennifer...God will direct you and help you through this too! I pray for your health and the baby's health through this time!

You are in my thoughts and prayers. And while I know nothing about GD or being pregnant, I hope everything will work itself out.

{{HUGS}}

Sorry to hear this Jennifer. Just keep thinking about that prescious baby and you can do anything. Plus, you know that there is an 'end date' and you will be able eat all your favorites again.

I, too, have gestational diabetes with my first daughter. I'm 26 weeks now with my second daughter. I was tested at around 20 weeks and will be tested again at 28 weeks. I passed it fine at 20 weeks, but I'm a little worried about it now. I have been craving sweets really bad. I'll have to start behaving over the next few weeks.

I will behave, I promise. Dr did not tell me anything to be doing while I wait for my appointment with the DCR in two weeks. My FIL did check it over the weekend (he is severe diabetic) and the numbers were fine.

For now until you have your appt, just eat sensibly and try to eat 3 smaller meals with 3 "snacks". Some of what you are going to be allowed to have will be based on the calorie intake you are allowed. I was allowed 1800 calories a day, which didn't seem like very much. But after I got adjusted to the diet (took a week or two each time), I never really found myself hungry. Sometimes I just wanted to eat because I was bored or stressed, but when that happened, I actually found myself craving apples or carrots!

Make sure that you also eat a snack before bed this way your sugar doesn't bottom out during the night or when you wake up. I've never been pregnant nor had diabetes but my soon to be MIL did with her last baby, 10 months ago, and I guided her some (I'm currently a nursing student, but not in OB yet, but I do have a massive amount of books that would take YEARS to read!!)

In my experience with gestational diabetes, they want your numbers to stay lower than regular diabetics. Just something to think about when diabetics test you and say "your numbers are fine." My FIL is diabetic and he would get mad when they would increase my insulin while his numbers were higher than mine and considered to be "fine."

I'm sorry you didn't pass the test Jennifer. Here's hoping you have no more complications and they can get things under control for you and the baby.

Basically, the best thing to do is see where they want you, test and chart and figure out your triggers and how to keep yourself low.It is true that they want you lower than regular diabetics. Also, high swings in blood sugars are bad. However, beyond that, any specific advice we try to give may or may not be applicable or helpful.I personally was not kept to 1800 calories. I was able with both to eat as much food as I wanted as long as my sugars stayed level.Also, everyone has different metabolisms and hormones. What may trigger me, may not trigger another person or hurt them.Just behave yourself Jennifer, follow the recommendations and you will have a happy, healthy baby before you know it!!!! Mine are 6 and 4 and doing just wonderful! :)

1. Will fasting before the test affect the results?

Yes, it is important to follow the instructions given by your healthcare provider and fast for 8-12 hours before the test. This includes avoiding food, drinks (except water), and medications.

2. What happens if I fail the 1-hour test?

If you fail the 1-hour test, you will most likely be asked to take the 3-hour test. This involves fasting and having your blood drawn every hour for three hours to measure your blood sugar levels.

3. What does the sugar test measure?

The sugar test, also known as a glucose tolerance test, measures how your body processes sugar. It is used to diagnose gestational diabetes, a type of diabetes that can develop during pregnancy.

4. Can I drink water during the test?

Yes, you can drink water during the test. It is important to stay hydrated, especially if you are fasting for several hours.

5. How can I prepare for the test?

To prepare for the test, make sure to follow any specific instructions given by your healthcare provider. This may include fasting, avoiding certain foods, and avoiding strenuous exercise the day before the test.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SLDOWDY1978
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
SLDOWDY1978
  • Tropicalburstqt2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Tropicalburstqt2
  • Jennie4PC