1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: I have a host looking for empanada recipes. I gave her the Emapanada

1. Chef Kearns

Chef Kearns Legacy Member Gold Member

I have a host looking for empanada recipes. I gave her the Emapanada con Pollo recipe from the Season's Best, but her husband is jones-ing for all kinds of empanadas. Dessert, ground beef, a different chicken one?

Thanks guys!!

Feb 7, 2006
  2. sheilanyc

sheilanyc Novice Member

Not a PC Recipe

I have a recipe for ground beef Empanadas but its not a PC recipe. Is that OK? Do you still want it?

Feb 8, 2006
  3. Chef Kearns

YES, Shelia!! If you've got it please post it! Thanks!

Feb 8, 2006
  4. sheilanyc

sheilanyc Novice Member

Beef Empanada

What you'll need:

1 lb onion
    2 lbs ground beef
    1 cube of beef broth
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp of garlic powder
    1 tbls of oregano
    1 tsp of paprika
    1/3 cup of water
    empanda disks (goya brand works best)

Cut onions into tiny pieces. Put onions, water, leaf, broth and paprika in a large pot. Cook until onions are soft and look crystal like. Add meat, oregano, garlic powder, a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until meat has no pink, up to 10 minutes. Cool completely uncovered. Put fillinf in center of dough. Fold in half and fold corners and edges. Take a beaten egg and paint over empanadas. Bake at 400 - 450 for 15 minutes.

Feb 9, 2006
  5. smarteez2

smarteez2 Advanced Member Gold Member

Food 911

Hey I am watching Food 911 on the Foodnetwork channel and Tyler is doing Food 911 on Empanadas!! There are three different kinds. Go to Foodnetwork.com and look it up, I think you will be pleased :eek:)

Feb 9, 2006
  6. Chef Kearns

Thanks for reminding me about that. I am an avid Food Network watcher and check their website frequently, but for some reason blanked on it this time.

Thanks everyone!! I know I will be trying the Beef Empanadas even if my host doesn't. They sound yummy!

Feb 9, 2006
  7. sheilanyc

sheilanyc Novice Member

Cheese Empanadas

I found another recipe in my files. Hope you like it.

For the Dough:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    6 tbls vegetable shortening or margarine
    1 egg yolk
    3-4 tbls ice water

For the Filling:
    1/3 cup grated Swiss Cheese
    1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
    1/4 tsp paprika
    1 egg white, lightly beaten

For the Glaze:
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 tsp water

To prepare dough:
    In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Using 2 knives or a pastry blender, cut in the shortening so the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the egg yolk.

Add water, a tablespoon at a time, stirring with a fork until a dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead for 1 minute. Roll the dough 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into 3 inch squares.

To prepare filling:
    Ina bowl, combine the ingredients, then set aside.

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly butter a baking sheet and set aside.

To make empanadas:
    Place about 2 teaspoons of the filling into each square. Fold the squares in half to form triangles, and seal the edges by crimping with a fork. Place the empanadas on the prepared baking sheet and refrigerate for 10 minutes.

To make glaze:
    In a small bowl, beat the egg and water together.

Brush the tops of the empanadas with the glaze. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes on a rack before serving

Feb 10, 2006
Have something to add?