• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Conquering the Fear of Calling: My Procrastination Story

In summary, the person was trying to make phone calls, but their schedule was busy and they had many things to do.
babywings76
Gold Member
See, I procrastinate and procrastinate in calling people.

"The kids are making too much noise...I should call tonight. Oh, wait...didn't I call these people already? Where are my notes? Oh, maybe I should e-mail them...Maybe I should call and see if they just need a recipe--that's no pressure...Um...shoot, it's after the 30 days...what if their product isn't working right and they are unhappy--I'm terrible at customer service."

Best of intentions..then I pysch myself out. It's daytime...they want me to call in the evening. I'll forget to call them later...our evenings are nuts over here. :rolleyes:

So I bite the bullet and make the calls. I call all the people that didn't specify to call in the evening. I get a lot of machines. I reach one person...now IS a bad time...her mother just died, just buried her yesterday, and right now they are at the courthouse.

Called another one...forgot that she is a DS party hosting queen apparently. She expressed possible interest. She said she'd ask around and see how many parties people have been to and if they need anything or are in the mood to go to another one. I try to encourage her to talk to people in all her circles, too. That's when she told me that she's done this before and knows how to invite people.... :eek: Yikes! I think she felt I was being condescending. :( I tried to stay upbeat and positive and acknowledged her knowing what to do as an experienced host. Hopefully I recovered okay. She said Feb wouldn't be good. I told her about how I'll be finding out in 2 weeks what the new products are. I said that I could send her a mini catalog so she can see the new products and I'd let her know what exciting new recipes there might be, too. She seemed happy about that. I e-mailed her the recipes that we did at the show she attended and hope that it's received well.

It's times like this that I feel like a ding-bat. Sigh. :rolleyes: :(

Right there with ya! Anything but the phone!!! And then I sound stupid. Even with Tammy Stanley's script right in front of me. AND all the PC scripts! Only cure - get on the phone!!

Yes, the phone is one of those necessary evils. :D Can't have shows if I don't use it! Can't have happy customers if I don't use it! ;)

Amanda...I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way! You are all over the map as much as I am on the excuses and reasons NOT to be on the phone! :D

Tonight I finally decided to make some calls. It's been a while. Not going to tell how long. I called a guest from an October show and asked her if she was still interested in having a show. She said "yes". I asked her what month she wanted to do it. She said "anytime". I gave her a date. She said "sure". Hm. That was easy. Wish all phone calls were that easy.Now to get her guest list easily.

JAE said:
Tonight I finally decided to make some calls. It's been a while. Not going to tell how long. I called a guest from an October show and asked her if she was still interested in having a show. She said "yes". I asked her what month she wanted to do it. She said "anytime". I gave her a date. She said "sure".

Hm. That was easy. Wish all phone calls were that easy.

Now to get her guest list easily.

"LIKE" button Jill~! Go girlfriend!:D

The relief and the freedom are on the other side of that phone call. The sooner you reach for it...the faster the relief!! (not to say, the money!)

I am not a phone person either. I have decided to start out slowly. My goal is 5 phone calls a day all week. Hopefully they will pan out. My fear is rejection but I have to get out of my comfort zone and thicken my skin :)

heat123 said:
"LIKE" button Jill~! Go girlfriend!:D

I know! Hey, my FB account was hacked. Opening a new account.

Ya know the crazy thing? I LIVE on the phone at work! Calling city officials, business community, law enforcement, and attempting to call family of car crash victims!Then I get home and my thought process goes like this:• Need to get something to eat!
• Ooops! Dishwasher is leaking and we have no dish soap to do the dishes by hand!
• It's 8:30. Probably a bad time. Morning might be better!
• Hey, BFF, what's up. So you need a can opener? Want to take a catalog to work?
• Wonder what's on the DVR?
• Time to re-install P3!
• Ooops, tax appointment is less than a month away. Better enter those expenses in P3!and then morning before work goes something like this:
• Yawn! Nice to get 8 hours for a change!
• My hair looks like crap! Better take a shower.
• Surprise! Roomie's friend is here for a visit. Better be social!
• Time to make dinner for tonight!
• Better leave for work.
• Wonder if I can call customers on my cel phone as I drive?
• Aw ... spring launch is less than a week away ... isn't it better to call once I know what's going to be discontinued?

Oh my, it is like someone is spying on my thoughts! I hate making calls but I want to work and provide good customer service. What is wrong with this picture? Don't answer I already know...PICK UP THE PHONE. I tell myself that all the time.

I called a February host...you know Host coaching. She asked if something was wrong and wondered if that was why I was calling. Then informed me that her TV show was about the come on! And I wonder why I hate making calls.

I know what the problem is. We need more receptive customers to answer the phone then our job would be easier! :) OK, I am gasping on that one, guess I needed to vent.

Tonia, if you want to feel better about your customers try a visit to http://www.notalwaysright.com. People post the conversations that take place with their customers. It's hysterical. Here's a sample.

Bad Combinations: Sharp Knives And Dull Minds
Retail | Ontario, Canada

Customer: “I’d like to return these knives.”

Me: “Okay, was there anything wrong with them at all?”

Customer: “Well, they were very sharp and my wife cut herself.”

Me: “Sir, knives are usually sharp. Unfortunately, because you’ve used them there is nothing I can do.”

Customer: “But they were extremely sharp! We were hoping to find a set that wasn’t so…sharp?”

Me: “So you’re looking for a set of dull knives?”

Customer: “Yes, do you have any that are more dull than this?”

Me: “No…have a nice day!”

Last edited:
Rae, Thanks for the laugh. I will have to look at that.

OMG Rae that was hysterical!!! It made me think of this joke I just past around work and I just had to share here!

I was at my local COSTCO buying a large bag of Purina dog chow for my loyal pet, biscuit, the Wonder Dog and was in the checkout line when woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

What did she think I had, an elephant? So since I'm retired and have little to do, on impulse I told her that no, I didn't have a dog, I was starting the Purina Diet again. I added that I probably shouldn't, because I ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete so it works well and I was going to try it again. (I have to mention here that practically everyone in line was now enthralled with my story.) Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me. I told her no, I stepped off a curb to sniff an Irish Setter's rear and a car hit us both.

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard. Costco won't let me shop there anymore. Better watch what you ask retired people. They have all the time in the world to think of crazy things to say. :eek:

OK, Rae. That has got to be some of the funniest customer service quotes I have ever read and I only read the first page. This would a great source to get you motivated before making CCC! :D I can't wait to share this with my team.

I have had a dislike of the phone in the past also, but I have come to the realization:
Do I love my paycheck- YES!
Do I want to continue to stay home- YES!
Do I love my career (not job!)- YES!
Do I have an open date on my calendar- YES!
Then I need to get on the phone and do something about it!! Period, I don't allow myself to get phyched out by all of MY silly excuses. It has been working great, I have booked 3 MORE shows this week!

1. How did you overcome your fear of making phone calls?

I had to first acknowledge that my fear was holding me back from achieving my goals, and then I took small steps to gradually expose myself to making phone calls. I also practiced deep breathing and positive self-talk to calm my nerves before making a call.

2. What tips do you have for someone struggling with fear of calling?

Start by setting small goals for yourself, such as making one phone call a day. Also, try to understand the root cause of your fear and address it. Additionally, practice and prepare for calls beforehand, and reward yourself for each successful call made.

3. How do you handle rejection or negative responses during phone calls?

I remind myself that rejection is a normal part of life and not a reflection of my worth as a person. I also try to stay positive and maintain a professional demeanor during the call. If needed, I take a break and come back to it later.

4. What are some common misconceptions about phone calls that contribute to fear?

Many people believe that they must be perfect or have all the answers during a phone call, which can create unnecessary pressure and fear. It's important to remember that phone calls are simply a form of communication and it's okay to not have all the answers or make mistakes.

5. How has conquering your fear of calling helped you in your career at Pampered Chef?

It has greatly improved my confidence and communication skills, which are essential in my role at Pampered Chef. I am now able to effectively communicate with customers, colleagues, and superiors through phone calls, leading to better relationships and results. It has also opened up new opportunities for growth and advancement in my career.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• GingerChef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • gailz2
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
gailz2
  • sfdavis918