• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Survive Crossing the Mackinac Bridge with My Girl Scouts?

In summary, the Girl Scouts are going to Mackinac Island in 2 months and I am scared of bridges. PC Chris suggests singing to take his mind off the bridge.
When KG sends the puns flying, just hit the deck.. but you gotta admit, most are pretty grate.

pcchris, you have to see this posting.Cairo Mississippi River Bridge.Read the stories at the bottom of the listing and it will make the Mighty Mac seem like a concrete culvert. You'll also be happy to learn that you are not alone in your fears!

crappity crap crap. I would have had a major panic attack riding over this one for sure. I certainly couldn't have driven it. Why would they make it so long and narrow?

There are two main reasons for that, I would suspect. First of all, at the time that many of those bridges were built, cars and trucks were a lot smaller. They were built to accommodate the vehicles of the day, which were all about the size of a Model T. Secondly, it was for expense. Widening a bridge, even a few inches, would add thousands of dollars to the construction costs, especially one that long. If you take a look at any of the other 60+ bridges that cross the Ohio River, you can see that many of them could be considered a thrill ride!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
If you're going to the island anyway, why do you have to cross the bridge? You can get ferries to the island from St. Ignace, too.

I was just going to say the same thing. You don' have to cross the bridge if you are going to the island. They have ferries on both sides of the bridge.

Because their hotel was in Mackinaw City, on the other end of the bridge.

There is a Wikipedia entry for Crossings of the Ohio River. It has a listing for the Silver Bridge, between Gallipolis, Ohio and Point Pleasant, WV, that collapsed in 1967. That accident caused the federal government to forge new rules for the inspection of any bridge, on a public highway, longer than 20 feet. Those bridges must be inspected at least every 2 years. (The closest I've been able to come to the correct pronunciation of the town's name is gal-eh-po-LEECE.)The collapse of the Silver Bridge is remembered in Point Pleasant, including a miniature in the museum. It also spawned an urban legend about the Mothman, who purportedly predicted the collapse. A 2002 movie, The Mothman Prophecies, grew out of that legend.Wikipedia doesn't have as many pictures as Bridge Hunter, which is also missing documentation of many of the crossings. However, Bridge Hunter is adding bridges, from around the country, almost daily, including a lot of the little ones you take for granted.

Well, Chris, how do you feel about the new Marquette Interchange? You're gonna love the ramp that carries I-94 from the high level bridge to the westbound lanes.It's 180 feet in the air - that means you're going to be driving on a bridge at about the same level as a 16 story building.Oh, yeah, you're gonna do real well on that one!

pcchris said:
website is Mackinac Bridge Authority in case you aren't sure of the bridge in question. I'd do a like, but I don't know how. KG may be able to help me with that....he's such a computer guru! Or, someone else might be able to do that too....

It's a MONSTER!

This bridge seems to be very simaliar to the Bay Bridge that goes from Annapolis Maryland to the Eastern shore of Maryland...:confused:

2 nights ago I had a panic attack concerning the Mackinac Bridge, although it wasn't about crossing it. I was watching "Dirt Jobs" and Mike Rowe was climbing down the inside of one of the large upright leg structures to help repaint the inside bottom of it. The space was getting smaller and smaller and I could see him struggling to get through the openings and he kept getting stuck. It was totally making me claustrophobic and I actually had a panic attack. I'm not outrageously claustrophobic-usually, but this was the first time just watching something on TV made my heart race and made breathing a little difficult.

I actually felt much better once he was out and walking up the cables to the top. Now that is something that I could do. Heights don't bother me, just small spaces.

You'd never catch me walking on those cables!Of course, you wouldn't catch me crawling around in the towers, either.How'd you like the shots from the top of the tower?

fikibiff said:
2 nights ago I had a panic attack concerning the Mackinac Bridge, although it wasn't about crossing it. I was watching "Dirt Jobs" and Mike Rowe was climbing down the inside of one of the large upright leg structures to help repaint the inside bottom of it. The space was getting smaller and smaller and I could see him struggling to get through the openings and he kept getting stuck. It was totally making me claustrophobic and I actually had a panic attack. I'm not outrageously claustrophobic-usually, but this was the first time just watching something on TV made my heart race and made breathing a little difficult.

I actually felt much better once he was out and walking up the cables to the top. Now that is something that I could do. Heights don't bother me, just small spaces.

We just came back from St. Ignace....and one night, while we were sitting at Moms Ice Cream (local hang out) eating our Cupcake ice cream, we struck up a conversation with a man who works on the Mighty Mac bridge! Fascinating to talk to him! He is actually one of those men who climbs all over the towers and has been all over the bridge. He confirmed for us the fact that the bridge is ALWAYS undergoing repairs and upkeep...and told us that there are men on-call 24 hours a day for bridge repair emergencies!

He also said that the pay is great......but you couldn't pay me enough!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
pcchris, you have to see this posting.

Cairo Mississippi River Bridge.

Read the stories at the bottom of the listing and it will make the Mighty Mac seem like a concrete culvert. You'll also be happy to learn that you are not alone in your fears!

Yikes! No thank you!!!

Thanks for posting though....sorry it took me 4 months to see it...lol

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Watch that last step - it's a lulu!

WatchThatLastStep.jpg

Oh my God.........

There's NO WAY I could EVER do that!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Well, Chris, how do you feel about the new Marquette Interchange? You're gonna love the ramp that carries I-94 from the high level bridge to the westbound lanes.

It's 180 feet in the air - that means you're going to be driving on a bridge at about the same level as a 16 story building.

Oh, yeah, you're gonna do real well on that one!

I stay away from the M-Change. That will help me...ha ha ha...

I haven't been down to that part of Milwaukee for quite some time.

Thanks for the heads-up though! Much appreciated.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You'd never catch me walking on those cables!

Of course, you wouldn't catch me crawling around in the towers, either.

How'd you like the shots from the top of the tower?

Made me totally queasy. Can't beat the view though. It certainly is beautiful.

ChefBeckyD said:
We just came back from St. Ignace....and one night, while we were sitting at Moms Ice Cream (local hang out) eating our Cupcake ice cream, we struck up a conversation with a man who works on the Mighty Mac bridge! Fascinating to talk to him! He is actually one of those men who climbs all over the towers and has been all over the bridge. He confirmed for us the fact that the bridge is ALWAYS undergoing repairs and upkeep...and told us that there are men on-call 24 hours a day for bridge repair emergencies!

He also said that the pay is great......but you couldn't pay me enough!

Me neither!

The top of the tower is less scary to me than the inside bottom.

pcchris said:
Oh my God.........

There's NO WAY I could EVER do that!

That guy didn't either. Ain't Photoshop grand?

OMG - Bridges are my biggest fear! DD went to Conn. for college last year - I had to go over the Throgs Neck so many times I thought I would die! I am worse if I have to drive so NOW I just don't - I actually gave away a show because I would have to go over the Whitestone bridge! I seriously would rather get a shot or needle before going over a bridge -

Those who love bridges need to go over the Gothels bridge in NY - with a SUV - oh there goes your love big time - its the worst!

I drive in the middle lane if there is one, I take a deep breath and then I try to talk on the speaker phone or sing .... before I even get on the bridge to pre-occupy my mind!!!

Both my girls will hold their breath when we cross bridges. I don't have a problem.

tlag1986 said:
Both my girls will hold their breath when we cross bridges. I don't have a problem.

It would be pretty hard to hold your breath crossing the Mackinac Bridge!:eek:

That bridge is similar to one in Pensacola FL, and my oldest DD had to ride over it two to three times a day for College Softball tournament she played in. I enjoyed it. You know its is a long bridge when the signs before ask if you have enough gas.

ragschef said:

Yes, and I have to take that bridge several times a year. Scares the pee out of me every single time.

I bring a book, and sink down as low as I can in my seat, and try to go to my happy place every time we cross.
DH and DS have a running commentary going the whole time about everything they are seeing, the construction on the bridge (year round), the weather.....and I have to try ignore it all and pretend I'm anyplace else.

I hate really tall bridges!

Here's a picture of the interchange in Atlanta where interstates 85 and 285 meet. Appropriately it is named "Spaghetti Junction". This one makes me squeemish, especially in traffic when there are 100's of cars at a standstill on it!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/SpaghettiJunctionGA.jpg

Last edited:
I think, worse than that, would be the poor slobs who live in that subdivision next to it. Why would anyone develop that land for residential, and worse, why would anyone buy a house next to an interchange like that one?
z0tdntknw.gif

That looks like one of the interchanges in Detroit, where the Southfield Freeway (M39) and I-96 intersect. It's a complicated interchange because there are local and express lanes to I-96, and both have ramps to and from the Southfield. The very lowest level is the Southfield, which is a depressed (trench) road at that point. The topmost bridge is easily 4 levels above it.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I think, worse than that, would be the poor slobs who live in that subdivision next to it. Why would anyone develop that land for residential, and worse, why would anyone buy a house next to an interchange like that one?

z0tdntknw.gif

The answer is MONEY $$$$! Developers want to make it and home-buyers want to save it! No way would I live anywhere near a major highway.

Two Countries Separated By A Common Language
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
We're two countries separated by a common language.

Gotta love the Brits. Why use three letters when five will do? Not to mention, truth in signage and calling a modern design bridge exactly what it is! (I like this one so much, I'm going to put it in the Bridge thread, too!)

Major plans for historic Essex bridge
Link: http://www.dunmow-broadcast.co.uk/content/dunmow/news/story.aspx?brand=SAFOnline&category=NewsDunmow&tBrand=HertsCambsOnline&tCategory=newslatestDUN&itemid=WEED09%20Oct%202008%2016%3A04%3A51%3A737

FEARS are rife that a historic bridge in need of repair could be replaced with what has been described as a "concrete monstrosity".

http://www.dunmow-broadcast.co.uk/herts24/assets/images/dynamicFeedCambs/WHHAED018229102008.P02.jpg

Essex County Council (ECC) has approved plans to rebuild Thaxted's Folly Mill Bridge to enable it to carry lorries of up to 40 tonnes in weight.

Chairman of Thaxted Parish Council John Freeman said: "I understand that the bridge needs to be repaired so that it can be used by larger vehicles. At the moment refuse lorries have to stop and turn around instead of crossing it, which can be damaging to the verges.

"A bridge with a limit of 20 tonnes would be sufficient. We are concerned that building a bridge with a 40-tonne limit will encourage large lorries to start using the narrow lane."

The 1940s-built Folly Mill Bridge is on a country lane off the B184 Dunmow to Thaxted road and currently has a three-tonne limit because of a structural fault.

The bridge is 8ft wide, but the reconstruction will see it widened to 13ft.

To make space for the larger bridge, a garden wall at Folly Mill, a Grade II Listed 17th century building, will be partially demolished.

A spokesman for ECC said: "This bridge is being strengthened for safety reasons as it is currently in a deteriorating condition. We appreciate this is rural road and we are not intending to encourage any more heavy vehicles than strictly necessary, such as fire engines and farm vehicles, to use it.

"To this effect we are considering possible environmental restrictions, such as a width restriction, for Folly Mill Bridge and we will be consulting with the local community fully on this. Any such restriction would have to take into account the potential need for use by fire engines, refuse lorries, delivery lorries, farm vehicles and other vehicles which could be considered to have a need to use the bridge."

The bridge originally had a weight limit of 17 tonnes, but this was reduced about three years ago when the damage became apparent.

The new structure with a 40-tonne limit will bring it inline with national guidelines.

That's a bridge?

On this date in history......two years ago today, August 1, 2007, the bridge carrying I-35W over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, Minnesota collapsed at 6:05 PM, during the Twin Cities' rush hour. Because of repair work on the bridge, lane restrictions had traffic moving stop-and-go or crawling. Construction vehicles, parked on the bridge, would later figure into the failure investigation.

250px-I35WBridgeMinneapolisSatellite2004.jpg

2004 satellite Photo of the I-35 bridge.
The I-35 bridge is on the far left,
the bridge to the right is the 10th Avenue Bridge
(Public Domain photo by US Geological Survey.)

The central span collapsed first followed by the adjoining spans. Most of the truss structure and deck fell into the river and on to the river banks. The northern section fell onto rail yards and crushed several freight cars that were parked on the tracks.

An amazing set of images was captured by a Corps of Engineers security camera, located at the entrance of the parking area of the Lower St. Anthony Falls Lock & Dam, showing the collapse of the bridge.

35wBridgecollapse-1.gif

A security camera captured these
sequential images of the collapse.
The image is public domain as a part
of the Corps of Engineers facility.

About 100 vehicles were involved in the collapse. Cars and construction workers, who were on the bridge, fell the 115 feet to the surface. 93 people were rescued from the bridge and an additional 20 people were pulled from the icy waters of the Mississippi River. Thirteen people perished in the collapse. A school bus, which you can see in the photo below, rested against a concrete barricade, near the edge of the bridge remnants, in a most precarious position. 60 students were aboard the bus, on their way home from a field trip. Jeremy Hernandez was a 20 year old advisor to the group. He kicked out the emergency door and aided the children to escape the bus. One staff member was seriously injured as were 10 of the students, but all survived the ordeal.

800px-I35W_Collapse_-_Day_4_-_Opera.jpg

Vehicles left on the deck. The
numbers on the windshields were for
investigative purposes.
(Public domain photo by USCG.)

The National Transportation Safety Board investigated the collapse. On January 15, 2008, the NTSB announced that the collapse had been caused by the failure of a gusset plate that was undersized for the bridge. In addition, over the years, deck resurfacing added layers of concrete, increasing the dead load by 20%. Construction vehicles, parked on the bridge at the time of the collapse, added 578,000 pounds of sand and water on the vehicles themselves. All were parked over the weakest spot on the bridge at the time of the collapse.

Gusset.jpg

The NTSB released this photo of a gusset plate from the failure
investigation. Note the cracks in the
plate that ultimately caused its failure.
(Public domain photo taken by the US Government.)

The replacement for the collapsed structure, the St. Anthony Falls Bridge, opened on September 18, 2008, months ahead of schedule and under budget.

800px-Saint_Anthony_35W_Bridge_rive.jpg

The new St. Anthony Falls Bridge,
carrying I-35W over the Mississippi River.<br>
(Photo used under rules of GNU Free Documentation License.)

I saw a show about the kids on the school bus you see in the photo above. The driver of the truck next to it had been interacting with the kids, waving and blowing his horn when one of the kids asked him by making a hand gesture (you know, making it look like he was pulling down on something overhead). My understanding is the truck driver did not survive. Everyone on the bus did, though (barely for some).

I'm just looking at the live webcam of the Macinac Bridge. No way would I cross that sucker at night!
It reminds me of the Mid-Bay Bridge from Niceville to Destin, FL. It was ok during the day, but would freak me out at night!

You haven't lived until you've driven the Mighty Mac at night...in January.Not that I ever want to do that again...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Oh, another one of my pet peeves - it's pronounced Mac-i-naw, just like the island. People who say Mac-i-nac are just ignorant and grate on my nerves!

I don't think it's ignorance. How would you pronounce "Cashier" as in Cashier, North Carolina? If you weren't from the area you wouldn't know that it's not pronounced as a cashier in the grocery store.

Kinnickinnick?
Oconomowoc?
Nicolet?
Mukwanago?
Gratiot?
Gallipolis?When you first visit an area, you're allowed a mispronunciation until you learn the correct pronunciation. If, after learning the correct term, one continues to mispronounce it, what would YOU call their behavior?

caraighan said:
I don't think it's ignorance. How would you pronounce "Cashier" as in Cashier, North Carolina? If you weren't from the area you wouldn't know that it's not pronounced as a cashier in the grocery store.

I don't think it's ignorance either. I'm sure it only gets aggravating when people continue to call it cashiers even after they've learned it's pronounced "Cash-ers". I'm not sure why it isn't pronounced the way it's spelled. Probably has something to do with accents of older generations. I know where I live we have Fires Creek. Most of the "native" folks call it "Fars" Creek. We have a lot of names around here in Western NC that are constantly getting butchered. Nantahala, Tusquittee, etc. To the locals, it's a little nerve grating after awhile.

It's human nature to want to pronounce things they way it looks; especially those of us who were taught phonics. The worse time for me was when I got a new student with the last name Faggard. I was QUICKLY informed that the correct way to say it was FUH-GARD. :blushing:

That's like the kid in the Christmas pagent, playing one of the wise men. On the day of the presentation, two kids turned up in long robes and turbans but the third kid arrived full turnout gear, including an axe and a helmet. The pastor was shocked! He walked up to the kid and said, "What do you think you're going in that getup?" "I'm in the Christmas play!" he answered."What is your costume supposed to be???" the pastor asked."Well, you said last Sunday," the kid replied, "That the three wise men came from a far!"

LOL...yep, they were so obviously Appalachian young'uns!

<h2>1. How long is the Mackinac Bridge?</h2><p>The Mackinac Bridge is 26,372 feet long, making it one of the longest suspension bridges in the world.</p><h2>2. Is it safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts?</h2><p>Yes, it is completely safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts. The bridge is regularly inspected and maintained to ensure its safety for all vehicles.</p><h2>3. Are there any special precautions or procedures for crossing the Mackinac Bridge?</h2><p>Yes, there are a few precautions and procedures to follow when crossing the Mackinac Bridge. All vehicles must maintain a speed of at least 20 mph and no more than 45 mph. Also, be sure to turn off your radio and refrain from talking on your cell phone while crossing the bridge.</p><h2>4. Can I stop on the Mackinac Bridge to take pictures?</h2><p>No, stopping on the Mackinac Bridge is strictly prohibited for safety reasons. However, there are several designated scenic overlooks on both sides of the bridge where you can safely take pictures.</p><h2>5. What can I do to calm my fear of bridges while crossing the Mackinac Bridge?</h2><p>First, remember that the Mackinac Bridge is regularly inspected and maintained for safety. Second, try to focus on the beautiful scenery and distract yourself with music or conversation with your Girl Scouts. You can also try deep breathing exercises or listening to a calming meditation app to help ease your fear.</p>

1. How long is the Mackinac Bridge?

The Mackinac Bridge is 26,372 feet long, making it one of the longest suspension bridges in the world.

2. Is it safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts?

Yes, it is completely safe to cross the Mackinac Bridge with a carload of Girl Scouts. The bridge is regularly inspected and maintained to ensure its safety for all vehicles.

3. Are there any special precautions or procedures for crossing the Mackinac Bridge?

Yes, there are a few precautions and procedures to follow when crossing the Mackinac Bridge. All vehicles must maintain a speed of at least 20 mph and no more than 45 mph. Also, be sure to turn off your radio and refrain from talking on your cell phone while crossing the bridge.

4. Can I stop on the Mackinac Bridge to take pictures?

No, stopping on the Mackinac Bridge is strictly prohibited for safety reasons. However, there are several designated scenic overlooks on both sides of the bridge where you can safely take pictures.

5. What can I do to calm my fear of bridges while crossing the Mackinac Bridge?

First, remember that the Mackinac Bridge is regularly inspected and maintained for safety. Second, try to focus on the beautiful scenery and distract yourself with music or conversation with your Girl Scouts. You can also try deep breathing exercises or listening to a calming meditation app to help ease your fear.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithlove
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • pchefkristin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pchefkristin
  • chefmoseley