1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: I had a surprise visit from my Baby Boy!

1. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

I'm suffering from either allergies or the beginning of a cold. After doing a few things this morning I took some meds and dozed. Needless to say, I didn't bother to get dressed. Once I was fully awake, I puttered around the house a bit, still not dressed.

I was reading when I saw someone drive up our drive. Not being properly dressed, I quickly locked the door and went into another room so whoever it was couldn't see me through the door. I was looking out another window when I saw our son jog down the driveway!

He lives in Dallas, TX. He and a friend are on a road trip. They stopped in last night to see a friend's Biblical reenactment. They got here (north-central Indiana) about 2 p.m. They spent a little over an hour, then left. They'll be back for dinner at 7, then head out to spend the night with friends.

They may come back for breakfast. (I'm planning bacon and guava turnovers.) Then they'll head to Chicago, followed by Wisconsin. His friend has family there. Ohio comes next, then Louisiana. The plan to be back in Dallas late Monday evening.

I remember being that young once. LOL!

BTW, I'll be dressed when they come back for dinner. :blushing:

Apr 11, 2009
  2. Gina M

Gina M Veteran Member Gold Member

How fun Rae! Enjoy your visit:)

Apr 11, 2009
  3. Bren706

Bren706 Senior Member Gold Member

How exciting, Rae! Enjoy the day!

P.S. I had a friend who went to the same school in Dallas as your son! She graduated 2-3 years ago.

Apr 11, 2009
  4. candiejayne

candiejayne Veteran Member

How exciting! That is a lot of traveling in a few days!

Apr 11, 2009
  5. pampchefrhondab

pampchefrhondab Senior Member

Wow, that's great!

Back in Dallas Monday, are they CRAZY!!!

6. raebates

Mostly they're just young. ;)

Apr 12, 2009
  7. Ginger428

Ginger428 Legacy Member Gold Member

WOW! Hope they have fun....

Apr 12, 2009
  8. akrebecca

akrebecca Rebecca M. Silver Member

Enjoy the time spent with your son! BTW, bacon & guava turnovers? Tell me about them. They sound delish! (Love bacon!)

Apr 12, 2009
  9. byrd1956

byrd1956 Senior Member Gold Member

It is always great when your child surprises you with a visit!

Apr 12, 2009
  10. raebates

Bacon was separate from the turnovers. ;)

Guava turnovers are easy. No real measuring necessary. You'll need:

Puff Pastry, thawed
    Cream Cheese (brick cut into 1/8" to 1/4" slices, but a smear of soft would work, too)
    Guava paste (cut into 1/8" to 1/4" slices)
    Egg (beaten with a bit of water)
    Powdered Sugar
    Milk

Preheat oven to 350F. Cut each sheet of puff pastry into quarters. Lay a slice of cream cheese and a slice of guava paste in the middle of each pastry square. Fold the pastry over into a triangle and press the edges of the pastry together. Brush each with egg wash. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Make a thin glaze using powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle glaze over warm turnovers. Serve warm (especially good with bacon :p).

If you prefer, you can beat the cream cheese and guava paste together, the place in the pastry using the Medium Scoop.

This recipe can be adapted to just about any filling. I've used cherry pie filling with chocolate chips, chocolate and cream cheese, and several others.

Apr 12, 2009
  11. pamperedcary

pamperedcary Novice Member Gold Member

Hey Rae,
    That guava turnover is what us Cubans call a "pastellito de guava con queso" or guava cream cheese pastry. We normally don't add the powdered sugar but I'm willing to try it!
    Have you been down so South Florida lately? We have Cuban bakeries filled with these type of pastries. You can also make with coconut, orange or vanilla custard. Yummy, just talking about it makes me crave a hot pastry right now!

Thanks for sharing and hope you had a great time visiting with your son!
    Cary

Apr 15, 2009
  12. raebates

That's interesting, Cary. The powdered sugar is just for the glaze. I'll have to try the fillings you mentioned. Mmmm, I'm thinking of one filled with lemon curd. Now, that would be tasty.

I don't make it to South Florida. Heat, humidity, and I do not get along well. ;)

And, yes, we had a great visit with our son. He's a great young man.

Apr 15, 2009
  13. gailz2

gailz2 Senior Member Gold Member

What a nice surprise to have your son stop by. It always warms my heart when my sons stop in.

Apr 15, 2009
Have something to add?