• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant Is My Babysitter Ruining My Furniture with a Forged Cutlery Knife?

In summary, the babysitter was using a forged steak knife to cut chicken. The problem is that she didn't bother getting out a cutting board or even a plate. She was doing it on the top of the table, which resulted in cut marks on the table top.
Sheila
Gold Member
I caught my (just turned 16 years old last week) babysitter using a Forged Cutlery Steak Knife to cut chicken. The problem you ask? She didn't bother getting out a cutting board or even a plate. She was doing it on the top of my Broyhill dining room table! :eek: I now have pretty little cut marks in my table top. :cry:

YIKES! I would be pretty upset about that!

:eek: Come on..even at 16 I knew better than that.

And now she babysits for free for the next couple months right?!

Hubby's gone on a military thing. I can't afford to loose her! All of my close friends have moved off the island recently. Right now, it's her or no one. :(I just keep thinking that the kids LOVE her! She's good to them, plays with them, doesn't abuse them (physically or sexually) ... and that I need to count my blessings that it's something REPLACEABLE that she damaged and not one of my babies. That is the ONLY thought that keeps running through my head. And the only thing that kept me from totally loosing it when I realized what she was doing.I mean seriously? A knife CUTS! That's it's job. Did she really think that it wouldn't cut into the surface of the table? And how freaking sanitary would that be anyway???(inhale, 2, 3, 4, 5, hold, 2, 3, 4, 5, exhale, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...)

Kids just don't think. Sorry to hear about your table.

We have a butcher block type with soft wood. We've got marks in ours from the kids banging the fork handle side down in it. They've done one entire side between the 2 of them.

Sheila--too bad you are so far away, you could come over and dent the other side to make it match. :)

Barb, that would definitely work out some frustration! LOL

Sorry you are so upset, but accidents do happen. She just wasn't thinking. And if she's good to your kids and in all other aspects, I think you should overlook this one indescretion. If you have little kiddos, just wait till they get bigger and all the lamebrained things they are going to do, in the grand scheme of things, this was minor.

This is also the reason why I only have hand me down furniture for the time being a carpet that is over 30 yrs old. :rolleyes:

chefsteph07 said:
Sorry you are so upset, but accidents do happen. She just wasn't thinking. And if she's good to your kids and in all other aspects, I think you should overlook this one indescretion. If you have little kiddos, just wait till they get bigger and all the lamebrained things they are going to do, in the grand scheme of things, this was minor.

This is also the reason why I only have hand me down furniture for the time being a carpet that is over 30 yrs old. :rolleyes:

This also reminds me last year what happened during spring break, we always have my stepson come and stay w/ us for the week, well, it rained the ENTIRE spring break last year, so no going outside to run around, and my 12 yr old stepson and then 4 yr old daughter were horsing around and BROKE MY COUCH. :cry: So, yes, worse things could happen! :)

Last edited:
Wow. Bless, release, and reminder her where the cutting boards are.

Mine are 14 months old & 30 months old. So not really old enough to be super destructive. But I have 7 nephews, so I know it's coming. The 2 year old did find the permanent markers a few days before the hubby left & did a super pretty drawing on the same table top. I wanted to take a photo, but hubby some how scrubbed it clean before I was able to capture the moment! LOLBut yes, I know that my time is coming. It's payback for all the things that I did to my parents. My Mom caught me once with 2 of the huge foot long bolts out of the base of the toilet & I was working on #3 of 4. When she asked me what I was doing, I told her I wanted to see where the water went (when you flushed). Luckily, I had not moved the toilet yet since I didn't know (at the age of 2) to turn off the water first. My Dad has me beat though ... at the age of 5, he sawed OFF the arm of his mother's couch! LOLYes, I agree, children think with the brain of a child. Not the brain of an adult. And the table is replaceable. At least she wasn't doing it on the highchair tray where the 1 year old was sitting or on the booster seat tray where the 2.5 year old was sitting. ;) All 10 little baby fingers & all 10 little toddler fingers were well away from the cutting surface!!!

I know your DH is gone but at least you didn't come here to say you caught her with your husband or caught her stealing or something!

I was just going to post the same thing, Wadesgirl. Could be worse!

Well, hopefully she has a little more common sense in other areas! Seriously?? A very sharp knife (ANY Knife) without a cutting board or plate???But YES- your day is coming *muuhahahahahahah*- I have two boys very close in age. It's constant WWF in here! They used to play hockey with foam sticks/pucks - but they destroyed those. I have red streaks on my foyer wall from it! (They were 3-5yrs during those days). Hockey is now outside where it belongs, but Nerf wars are common nightly occurrences. At least those are Nerf..... Each age is a stage. Obviously 16 is a stage of perplexity and "what were you thinking??" I've got a couple years still. *sigh*.

Bobbi, my (now 21 & 24 year old) nephews were told to wax the floor once when they were both still in high school. And let me tell you, they took that job SERIOUSLY! They waxed the kitchen & dining room floor all right ... with car wax! My sister couldn't break down the shine nor the "buffed" effect. There was no way that you could go in there in just your socks. It was as slippery as being on ice. They had to go in barefoot for the first 2 months & walk very carefully to keep from falling and injuring themselves. The boys had NO clue that car wax was different from MOP and GLOYou girls have me in a better mood now. I think I can go to bed & actually SLEEP! It's 3:22 AM here, so the munchkins will be up in a few short hours! Yikes!!!

All I can think is "Why would she have any food on a table without a plate or anything?" I mean, I can kind of see not having something to put it on when it's in the kitchen, on a counter, but who puts food right on the table? Even for DS, we have a placemat...

NooraK said:
All I can think is "Why would she have any food on a table without a plate or anything?" I mean, I can kind of see not having something to put it on when it's in the kitchen, on a counter, but who puts food right on the table? Even for DS, we have a placemat...

HAHA..good point..I didn't even think of that..LOL

This is what you get when you have babysitters whose moms never taught them the basics. So go into PC teaching mode. Just tell her, "Honey, if you ever cut anything with my knives again, please use one of my cutting boards. And then wash it by hand, or set it aside for me to wash. They don't go into the dishwasher."

Sheila how deep are the cuts? Do you think they went through the finish only or did they go into the wood? If it is only the finish, see if you can find something that will in essence, spread out the varnish to cover the cuts. It may work even if the wood got cut so they are not noticeable. Formsbee it was I think had something like that here. Or see if you can find a refinisher produc that might be along the same lines. You should not have to strip the piece but rather just wipe it on.

pampered1224 said:
Sheila how deep are the cuts? Do you think they went through the finish only or did they go into the wood? If it is only the finish, see if you can find something that will in essence, spread out the varnish to cover the cuts. It may work even if the wood got cut so they are not noticeable. Formsbee it was I think had something like that here. Or see if you can find a refinisher produc that might be along the same lines. You should not have to strip the piece but rather just wipe it on.

With 2 little kids, if it required anything serious like refinishing, she'd be better off waiting a few more years ;). It will get a lot of "love" in the coming years. LOL

(If you have a permanent marker that is the same color- that works for small scratches....but color matching is key.)

John, I'm kind of limited to what I can find on the military base here in Japan, and (since I'm not fluent in Japanese) I can't really go out into town & search for what I want either. I wouldn't be able to read all the containers to find the "right" product. This is very light wood. If it was dark cherry or something, it would be easier to cover. As it is, I'll have to live with it for now. We move in July to mainland Japan for 3 years. So by the time we get back to the states in 3.5 or so years, I probably won't care anymore. And like Bobbi said, I'm sure there are worse things that will happen to the table before it's over!!! LOL I was just shocked that a 16 year old would do something like that in the first place. Not very smart!!!

Oh I never thought of any of that! I just feel bad for you. However, Bobbi is right. One day you may find one of the kids up there playing skating rink! Luckily my sister decided to use the kitchen table and not mom's good, maple dining table! I think I would have been sisterless if she had! And I guess, after the opening line, that it could have been much worse! I thought you were gonna say "hitting your kids!"

:rolleyes: WOW, I had a Cooking Show at a relatives and after which the kids and adults had a fun time throwing balls and other item in the house at each other. The kids and guests broke about 5 different items including the hosts wedding picture frame, PartyLite candle holders and they even managed to put a hole in the wall with a plastic chair. All of which the host was in the room with them, I was in the kitchen packing my items and assisting guests calculate their orders and bookings. And I wonder why I'm not invited back to do a show.

-Mike

1. How can I make sure my child is safe with a new babysitter?

We recommend thoroughly vetting potential babysitters by checking references, conducting background checks, and scheduling a trial run before leaving your child alone with them.

2. What should I do if I suspect the babysitter is neglecting or mistreating my child?

If you have any concerns about the babysitter's behavior, it's important to address them immediately. Talk to your child about their experience and have an open conversation with the babysitter. If necessary, consider finding a new babysitter.

3. How can I establish clear expectations and guidelines for my babysitter?

Before leaving your child with a babysitter, have a detailed discussion about your expectations, rules, and routines. Write them down so there is no confusion. Also, make sure the babysitter knows how to contact you in case of an emergency.

4. What are some ways to keep my child entertained while the babysitter is in charge?

There are plenty of fun and engaging activities you can leave for your child and the babysitter to do together. Crafts, games, and age-appropriate movies are all great options. You can also leave a list of your child's favorite books or toys for the babysitter to use.

5. Is there anything I should do before leaving my child with a new babysitter for the first time?

It's important to prepare your child for a new babysitter by talking to them about what to expect and reassuring them that they will be safe and well taken care of. You can also leave a list of important information for the babysitter, such as emergency contacts, allergies, and bedtime routines.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
dianevill
  • itsjustCarla
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
MissChef
Replies
Views
Devin