• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I can never get my ultimate slice and grate to work the right way

cookinmelissa

Novice Member
Nov 16, 2005
Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I have practiced and practiced and I just keep ruinig tomatoes. Once I get it started it works ok. It is really just getting it started. The tomato gets all banged up and wants to wobble off of the holder. My last show I tried to use it and ended up being really embarassed because I couldn't do it right.

pamperedbecky

Legacy Member
May 6, 2005
Are you doing it slowly? ONe trick is to move it back and forth pretty quickly. Tomatoes need to be somewhat firm. With the food holder/finger protector, you push down mostly on that flat part that is parallel with the slice & grate, not the raised part that fits into the palm of your hand. If you push down on that part, it will actually push the food out of the little prongs. Does that make sense? It's very hard to just explain it with words.

I hope that helps! My biggest advice for anyone with this tool who isn't comfortable with it, practice the heck out of it using potatoes. Just take a bunch of potatoes and use all the different slicing blades with it until you get comfortable.:D

barbchan

Mar 16, 2006
I have always had trouble with tomatoes too. You could use your trouble with the USG and tomatoes to your advantage though. The easiest way to slice into a tomato is by using a serrated edged knife....so....it would be great for demonstrating the bread knife along with the hold n slice. The bread knife will go right through a tomato like it wasn't even there.

amya

Mar 10, 2005
You may already do this, but for tomatoes, I cut them in half first and then only use half at a time on the USG.

chefjeanine

Gold Member
Jan 19, 2006
amya said:
You may already do this, but for tomatoes, I cut them in half first and then only use half at a time on the USG.

That's my suggestion AND what Becky said. Apply zero pressure to the raised part that fits into your palm. That might actually push the tomato off the prongs.

And at your shows, always specify firm Roma tomatoes (regardless of what the recipe calls for) when you want to use the US&G.

Good luck!

EmmaLeeM

Mar 2, 2006
I had never used this tool and a past host brought her's still in the box to a show, and during my demo someone asked to see it, so she whipped it out of the box and gave it to me, the tomato was already in half because I had used it.. The first slice was a bit difficult because I didn't go fast, but then I just did it like deli meat, fast and no pressure and it was AWESOME! I even sold a few of them. AMAZING TOOL! I have to have one now!

Emma

Chef Kearns

Legacy Member
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2005
I know some of you will balk, but I put the tomatoes in the fridge when I get to the host's house. That helps firm them up a bit until I'm ready to cut it up. Otherwise I have mush.

A

AFwife

Chef Kearns said:
I know some of you will balk, but I put the tomatoes in the fridge when I get to the host's house. That helps firm them up a bit until I'm ready to cut it up. Otherwise I have mush.

I do the same!

Mystik

Dec 28, 2005
Be sure to use the V-blade for tomatoes, I tried the straight blade and it was a mess, but the V-blade is good for soft items like tomatoes.

cookinmelissa

Novice Member
Nov 16, 2005
thanks everyone. I think I am putting too much pressure on the thing with the prongs. That could be why it is moving around so much. You have given me alot of good ideas. Now to geta a big bag of potatos and plant some tomato plants.

its_me_susan

Jul 31, 2005
Mystik said:
Be sure to use the V-blade for tomatoes, I tried the straight blade and it was a mess, but the V-blade is good for soft items like tomatoes.

I use the V-blade for tomoatoes and go fast too ~ never a problem. Just be careful not to become distracted! These babies are sharp!

tiffanypc05

Advanced Member
Nov 3, 2005
this may be a stupid question but what is the straight blade for? I'm borrowing a friend of mines for the weekend b/c i wanted to slice tomatoes and onions for hamburgers for my baby's 1st b-day party....anyways, i can't figure out what the straight blade is for...

cmdtrgd

Legacy Member
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2006
The straight blade is for everything that does not have a skin like a tomato. Cucumbers, potatoes, carrots, onions, etc. The neat thing is it is adjustable. If you move the tab on the side of the cartridge (is that what they are called?) you can make it thicker or thinner.

Jan 4, 2006
My best advice is simialr to the others...
Cut the tomato in half first and then don't go to slow.
Also practice with potatoes and onions.

Good Luck!

pamperedbecky

Legacy Member
May 6, 2005
pamperedtiffani said:
My best advice is simialr to the others...
Cut the tomato in half first and then don't go to slow.
Also practice with potatoes and onions.

Good Luck!
And use that food holder!!!!:eek: :)

mary k

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2006
ultimate slice and grate

Never have been able to get mine to work right for me and I threw it away. I got so frustrated with it. Maybe I should have had someone show me what I was doing wrong.:)

dollfangs

Silver Member
Oct 20, 2005
Ok maybe I am just not doing this right but I have a lot of trouble getting the food to stay on the food holder especially if it is a larger tomato or potato. How do you get the larger stuff and smaller stuff for that matter to stay on? Also for the cucumber/lime demo, it says to julienne the cucumber by using it on its side with the food holder. How in the heck does that work? TIA

its_me_susan

Jul 31, 2005
cmdtrgd said:
The straight blade is for everything that does not have a skin like a tomato. Cucumbers, potatoes, carrots, onions, etc. The neat thing is it is adjustable. If you move the tab on the side of the cartridge (is that what they are called?) you can make it thicker or thinner.

OMGosh I never knew that! I use the v-slice for everything! How do you make the jullienne slicer blade work?

AJPratt

Legend Member
Silver Member
Oct 11, 2005
You go back and forth over the blade for the juilenne blade. I had the host demo it at my last show!

Oct 15, 2005
I love my USG. It is my favorite tool besides my stoneware. However, I just started using the julienne (sp?) blade and I can't do carrots very well. Any ideas? I'd like use this for the Quick Chick. Primavera Risotto, but I don't want to look foolish with the carrots.
-KH