• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Simplify Your Business: Ideas to Help Streamline and Organize

In summary, Becky is simplifying her business by packing only what comes in the New Consultants Kit, finding a home for things when done, and trying to do it in 2008. She is also simplifying her life by doing things like having a last minute New Years Eve party and having DH work only until noon on Monday.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
I am wanting to simplify in alot of areas of my life this year - not really a resolution, more of a goal and necessity.

I am determined to simplify in my business - to work smarter not harder, and to make paperwork, shows, etc... as simple as possible.
What are some ways that you have simplified your business?

One thing that I am implementing this month - With the exception of the DCB and a few spices and cookbooks, I will only pack the things that come in the New Consultants Kit. Makes it easier to pack for shows, and also makes it look easier for potential recruits. This is a good month to do this, because of the stoneware special - I can take my favorite stoneware piece - the Bar Pan - and because of February's host & guest special, I don't need to take anything extra to show.

I'm thinking of other ways to simplify too - and would like to know if others are simplifying, and how they are doing it.

You already do this Becky, but making host packets and guest folders up ahead of time.You also do this too Becky but offer hosts only a sampling of recipes not EVERYTHING.My way of simplifying is finding a HOME for everything and putting it there when done!!!!

janetupnorth said:
You already do this Becky, but making host packets and guest folders up ahead of time.

You also do this too Becky but offer hosts only a sampling of recipes not EVERYTHING.

My way of simplifying is finding a HOME for everything and putting it there when done!!!!

In a perfect world - I would be doing this - but this would be a BIG job for me...and how would I train DH and DS to do it too? I'm always hunting for things that they have put someplace else - like my kitchen broom, which I finally found in the back garage....:grumpy:

ChefBeckyD said:
In a perfect world - I would be doing this - but this would be a BIG job for me...and how would I train DH and DS to do it too? I'm always hunting for things that they have put someplace else - like my kitchen broom, which I finally found in the back garage....:grumpy:

We live parallel lives in a way Becky - me too!!!! Except I'm guilty often of just coming in and dropping things...sometimes I dream of being a SAHM so I can clean...

But, that is my way of simplifying and I WILL TRY to do it in 2008.

This is a big goal of mine this year, too. Not just because I'm a horrifically disorganized person (I am), but because I'll be without a kitchen for several months. And I want to get my show schedule to a consistent 5-7 shows a month, more than I've had in the past.

I'm stealing your kit products idea, Becky. I think I'll pack up all the seldom-used items from my kitchen and put them aside so I don't even worry about them until I can unpack when the room is done. Once I find out what the spring theme shows are, I'll pick 1 recipe from each theme and offer those for shows. That's it. Why repack my kit for every show?

janetupnorth said:
We live parallel lives in a way Becky - me too!!!! Except I'm guilty often of just coming in and dropping things...sometimes I dream of being a SAHM so I can clean...

Keep dreaming!:rolleyes: Why is it since becoming a SAHM, my house is more of a mess, and I have a harder time keeping things clean? Of course, when I was working outside the home, we were DINKs, and the house stays cleaner when you are both gone all day, and there are no kids. Plus the fact that we have a small house (I know yours is about the size of mine) so sometimes I just look around and think "where do I go with all of this stuff?"

Which is why I need to simplify! I need to de-clutter, and get some systems going so that the clutter doesn't take over again -so I guess your plan of finding a home and keeping it that way actually makes sense for me too - now to find a way to get it done!

My house is pretty clean right now - because we had a last minute New Years Eve party here, DH only worked until noon on Monday, and then he came home, and we worked together to get the house clean before people arrived!

Hmmm, that may explain why we were exhausted at 10pm!:D

janetupnorth said:

I thought this would be my saving grace...but as it turns out, I am busier as a SAHM than I ever was as a full-time employee! I think mit comes from the idea you put in your head that as a SAHM you have "more" time...so then when someone asks "wanna join PTA?" you say yes. And when someone else asks "come to our Bible group" you say yes.....and so on and so on!
One thing I promised myself for this year personally, is that I am getting rid of the clutter.....gonna take awhile, but it has to go!
Professionally, I plan to really work my business and this means setting office time aside as if I were still a full-time employee. I will get the office organized (it is only OK right now) and I will only spend the time I need to spend in there doing the calls, answering email and getting packets and paperwork ready. I spend entirely too much time on CS and DCS and cold easily be putting that time into other (more important:love: ) things. Trying to be honest with myself, here!

chefann said:
This is a big goal of mine this year, too. Not just because I'm a horrifically disorganized person (I am), but because I'll be without a kitchen for several months. And I want to get my show schedule to a consistent 5-7 shows a month, more than I've had in the past.

I'm stealing your kit products idea, Becky. I think I'll pack up all the seldom-used items from my kitchen and put them aside so I don't even worry about them until I can unpack when the room is done. Once I find out what the spring theme shows are, I'll pick 1 recipe from each theme and offer those for shows. That's it. Why repack my kit for every show?

That is my reasoning too!

When I was single, I used to travel alot for my job - and I rented for a long time before buying my own house - and sometimes I would realize when I packed to move to a new apt. that I still had boxes in storage that had never been unpacked from the previous move. Made me realize how much I really didn't need alot of the stuff I had!

However - the thought of being w/o my kitchen for several months sends shivers down my spine!:eek:

ChefBeckyD said:
Keep dreaming!:rolleyes: Why is it since becoming a SAHM, my house is more of a mess, and I have a harder time keeping things clean? Of course, when I was working outside the home, we were DINKs, and the house stays cleaner when you are both gone all day, and there are no kids. Plus the fact that we have a small house (I know yours is about the size of mine) so sometimes I just look around and think "where do I go with all of this stuff?"

Which is why I need to simplify! I need to de-clutter, and get some systems going so that the clutter doesn't take over again -so I guess your plan of finding a home and keeping it that way actually makes sense for me too - now to find a way to get it done!

My house is pretty clean right now - because we had a last minute New Years Eve party here, DH only worked until noon on Monday, and then he came home, and we worked together to get the house clean before people arrived!

Hmmm, that may explain why we were exhausted at 10pm!:D

Yeah, I know I'm dreaming, but it doesn't hurt to dream!
I can not believe the junk in my house since having kids!

I am determined in 2008 to find a home for it in my home or give it away to a good home.

My home is about 900 sq. ft. so yes, I can relate!

...and I went offline at 9 p.m on 12/31 and in bed by 10 p.m.! :)

Well, hopefully we can both "simplify" our houses this year!

kit products idea is a good one----I did it for a year---What I found is if I do a recipe example 30 minute chicken I ditch the bar pan---Turtle fudge skillet I drop the saute pan----
I get the dishes cleaned at the party somehow---Repack and it does not come in the house---
I did 6 parties a month last year---NEVER HAD THE STRESS of where is my xyz-----

Oh, Morfia reminded me - I take a separate tote for dirty dishes. I don't like to bug the host to use her sink etc. and don't like to get things all tossed about. Separate rubbermaid tote brings all the dirties home and they go straight to the sink or dishwasher and back where they belong (ideally of course).

MORFIA said:
kit products idea is a good one----I did it for a year---What I found is if I do a recipe example 30 minute chicken I ditch the bar pan---Turtle fudge skillet I drop the saute pan----
I get the dishes cleaned at the party somehow---Repack and it does not come in the house---
I did 6 parties a month last year---NEVER HAD THE STRESS of where is my xyz-----

Morfia - do you offer alot of recipe choices or do you do one recipe a month? curious as to what you do.

I like the idea of dropping one kit product when you add a different product - good idea so that the kit stays the same size!

I can not believe the junk in my house since having kids!

I am determined in 2008 to find a home for it in my home or give it away to a good home

This is so true! And they outgrow stuff so quickly.
I'd been trying to donate stuff to places, but I am thinking renting a dumpster would be faster.

ChefBeckyD said:
However - the thought of being w/o my kitchen for several months sends shivers down my spine!:eek:
I'll still have a way to prep dinner, though. We're setting up the dining room as a temporary kitchen, with the fridge, toaster oven, microwave and hot plate. DH is leaving the sink in the kitchen as long as humanly possible, so we still have a place to wash dishes. Even if that means that the only cabinet in the room is that one, and we're working around it. (We were without the sink for 4 days over Christmas, and it was terrible!)

janetupnorth said:
Oh, Morfia reminded me - I take a separate tote for dirty dishes. I don't like to bug the host to use her sink etc. and don't like to get things all tossed about. Separate rubbermaid tote brings all the dirties home and they go straight to the sink or dishwasher and back where they belong (ideally of course).

I bring a rubbermaid tote too for dirty dishes. Sometime, my host will offer to wash dishes - and I never turn that down!, but usually I just bring them home, pop (most) of them in the dishwasher, and then repack my kit from the dishwasher.

kspry said:

This is so true! And they outgrow stuff so quickly.
I'd been trying to donate stuff to places, but I am thinking renting a dumpster would be faster.

LOL - I often dream of renting dumpster to shovel out the basement!

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - I often dream of renting dumpster to shovel out the basement!

I couldn't agree with you more! I have a very small house and lots of junk in my basement - my oldest son who's 13 said my new year's resolution should be to clean it - subtle isn't he? My neighbor and I always talk about renting a huge dumpster to put between our two houses so we can pitch away!

chefann said:
I'll still have a way to prep dinner, though. We're setting up the dining room as a temporary kitchen, with the fridge, toaster oven, microwave and hot plate. DH is leaving the sink in the kitchen as long as humanly possible, so we still have a place to wash dishes. Even if that means that the only cabinet in the room is that one, and we're working around it. (We were without the sink for 4 days over Christmas, and it was terrible!)

When we renovated our kitchen, I was without a kitchen (and running water on the first floor) for 4 months. Ugh! Luckily I did have a laundry sink in the basement but that wasn't the greatest setup for doing our dishes or show dishes.

I like the idea of taking only the consultant kit! And thanks to Morfia for showing how to keep from carrying extras.

I only offer a few recipes to my hosts. I don't write them out to choose from -- perhaps I should. I know I need to look at new recipes and offer something different. However, this is my least favorite part of my job. Picking out what recipes I will offer is no fun. I really don't enjoy cooking and want to keep show recipes VERY VERY simple as I'm slow and don't want to be there forever.

I had a host who was remodeling her kitchen so she had a small one set up downstairs in her laundry room. Really weird set up but it worked since I do a no demo show (well, that one was a half demo show but that's another story!).

DH and I have talked about some of the things that need to be reorganized in our lives. One of the things is my office, I just wish I could take a week of work and work on it, never seems to be enough hours when I get home at night!

I found myself overwhelmed with file folders earlier this year. The fix was buying a 3" binder and slanted pocket inserts. I keep all my flyers in the binder. Whether I am making host packets, guest folders, etc, all I have to do is pull the binder out and assemble. No more pulling files out of drawers and having them all over the place.

legacypc46 said:
I found myself overwhelmed with file folders earlier this year. The fix was buying a 3" binder and slanted pocket inserts. I keep all my flyers in the binder. Whether I am making host packets, guest folders, etc, all I have to do is pull the binder out and assemble. No more pulling files out of drawers and having them all over the place.

GREAT idea Leggy! This is a problem I have....and I already have an accordian file that would work for this!

That's a good idea, Leggy! I have an old 12-pocket sorter file that would work much the same way. It's not being used right now, so I should dig it out of the mess and put it to use.

it's the diggin out part that is daunting, isn't it?!

And I NEED to do it, because I just keep piling things on top of other things. Who knows how many duplicates of various items I have in my house, just because I buried the first one and replaced it. :rolleyes:

An accordian file would work too. I just suffer from wanting to see what I'm working with. By using the slanted pockets in a binder, I can flip the pockets like they are pages and not feel like I'm digging stuff out. (Avoiding clutter is a majror challenge for me!).

chefann said:
And I NEED to do it, because I just keep piling things on top of other things. Who knows how many duplicates of various items I have in my house, just because I buried the first one and replaced it. :rolleyes:

Girl, my whole house is piles! I got "pile-itis" from my DH...I swore I would never give in and here it is 16 years later and we are diggin up stuff from 13 years ago! My motto right now is "one pile at a time"!

I pruchased a new computer desk to downsize from my current one since I got a laptop.

I spent 2 hours last night cleaning the old one out. I could not believe the junk I had in it! I had about 10 different computer/printer and who knows what else cables in there that I have no idea what they go to!! I am trying to make myself throw them out but I hate to haha (the whole point of this conversation!)

I have to get things downsized. My computer and my PC stuff is in the room that will be the baby's room and it has to be majorly downsized. I am hoping to fit it all in my new corner desk, so, I can at least leave it in there until he is cawling and getting into eveyrthing and then it will have to go in another corner.

MY husband just looked at me last night when I was starting b/c he knows I am about to worry him to death until I get it the way I want it. And I am ready to pick a color from him and his dad to paint!

Can you imagine how many of us can DESPERATELY use the show Clean Sweep to show up at our door!

janetupnorth said:
Can you imagine how many of us can DESPERATELY use the show Clean Sweep to show up at our door!

I would love for someone esle to make the decisions for me, I hate throwing away!

janetupnorth said:

There was a Pampered Chef Consultant on there one time (they didn't mention it, I just knew because of the stuff that was piling up).

I am blessed to have a room that is just my office. . .but it is a mess. People (customers and former co-workers) are surprised to hear that I'm messy because I am very organized with how I run my business. :eek:

I recently visited my husband's new office at work. This is the first time in years that he has a room to himself. My office must drive him insane. His desk top had one pile of papers --about two papers deep-- and he said it was messy.

Well some of you have seen the pictures of my work desk on another thread...right now it is pitiful! I just added 2 servers to my desk top amongst a ton of other things. 3 monitors going right now. But hey, I can work on a server and type on here off and on! :)

janetupnorth said:

I would LOVE to have them come take care of this mess for me.....it is all the decision making that goes with cleaning out stuff that just sets me off! I need a 3rd noninterested party to come do this~everything I touch is a memory!

Hey, Becky, leave the broom in the garage, and buy yourself a new one for the house. Don't forget to let everyone know there is an inside and outside broom now.
I know someone already commented about SAHM's and clean houses, but I have to say, most SAHM's are not home very much. If we are home it's because our kids are home, and that means no point in cleaning!

Keep the ideas coming! I love the binder idea and I just got a bunch of free binders from my day job today. They were throwing them out! I'm very limited on space and have to get more organized!

I've been working on organizing my house and getting rid of things for the past 2 years, and it is getting there! I've given a lot of things away to my church. They have a huge garage sale every August. The first year a donated they had a record year (LOL)!! I donated so much kitchen stuff since I've gotten all new PC stuff:)!!

Jennifer - I don't have an office. I use a computer cabinet and a roll away file for my PC business. It works really nice cause I can roll it away to the closet when I'm not working or company comes over. I got it at Office Depot (I think). It is a very sturdy metal and is two layers so it holds a lot of files. It is right at my level to get into when I'm sitting down too! I LOVE it! It is the best thing I've ever gotten for my business. I label all the hanging file folders for easy access. I also have a 30 day follow-up system. I have a hanging file folder for each date. I create a folder for each show and will file them on the date I need to follow-up on in them.

Don't know if my ideas will help anyone, I still have a long way to go to get completely organized!

I have my PC well-organized. The teacher in me has a place for everything and everything in a place. I have a roll top desk, a small bulletin board, a layered file holder on the wall, and a file folder box next to the desk. Everything fits inside here. (including my lap top)

Wall holder- I have a hanging file which contains everything needed to fill host packets, (once a month- I make up). contains: files marked: Show planner, monthly host special, opportunity brochure, $1000 show, unable to attend (these are stickers I stick on the invites I send out with my web address)

PP receipt paper, catalog show information, also on wall.

The file box contains organized files for business receipts, recipes(by theme) and things I don't need access as often: wedding registry, fundraiser, cluster notes, etc.

I also keep an expansible file folder in my PC bag that I take with me in the car at all times. Labeled as follows: opportunity,gift certificate, monthly host special, order forms, host

2nd PC bag- always packed and organized for shows with guests' folders inside.

on desktop- postcards organized by order I send them out: reminders, etc.

business hours posted on my door, so my kids know when I am on the phone or working. I use the kids as much as possible for stickers, stamping, putting packets together, etc.

It's dark now, but I'll post pictures, so people can see how little space you really need to run a successful business. While we are searching for a house to buy, my husband's office (computer repair) is the large island in the kitchen!

I just remembered that Lyn Conway's email newsletter is sharing tips on this topic this month. :)

Yesterday, January 2:
Here's your Fresh Idea for Wednesday, January 2nd
"For entrepreneurs, ignorance is not bliss. It's fatal. It's costly. And it's for losers. You either get organized, or get crushed." ~Donald J. Trump

My friend, Kimberly Medlock, is a professional organizer. Kimberly shared that January is "National Get Organized" month. Every Thursday and Friday this month I'll be sharing one of Kimberly's tips on getting organized, both at home and at work. I've included information below about Kimberly so that you can visit her website and learn even more!

Kimberly Medlock CPO® is a work /life productivity and direct sales expert. She is a certified professional organizer and Microsoft Outlook Specialist. She shares with enthusiasm how achieve a higher peace of mind productivity in both work and life. Kimberly Medlock Productivity Training Co. - Get Organized

Today:
Here's your Fresh Idea for Thursday, January 3rd
Here is your first tip from Kimberly Medlock, CPO

"Ask yourself these three questions:

1. How do I/would I feel if I were more organized?

2. How would I be able to treat others if I were more organized?

3. How would others treat me if I were more organized?

Getting organized is about knowing what you want and being able to easily get what you want when you want it. Notice the first step here is knowing what you want. When you know what you want you are more easily able to say no to or rid yourself of things that you don't want in your life. Decide what makes you feel more organized and make that happen!"

Kimberly Medlock CPO® is a work /life productivity and direct sales expert. She is a certified professional organizer and Microsoft Outlook Specialist. She shares with enthusiasm how achieve a higher peace of mind peace of mind productivity in both work and life. Kimberly Medlock Productivity Training Co. - Get Organized

You can sign up for Lyn's newsletter at Sign Up for News & Announcements

great site under kimberly medlock----called screenit----to see a parents opinion of a pg13--

JAE said:
Hey, Becky, leave the broom in the garage, and buy yourself a new one for the house. Don't forget to let everyone know there is an inside and outside broom now.
I know someone already commented about SAHM's and clean houses, but I have to say, most SAHM's are not home very much. If we are home it's because our kids are home, and that means no point in cleaning!

I would agree JAE, that was truly sarcasm on my part! :) I just like to dream about what it would be like NOT to work full-time. Of course, DH says I could never do it, I'd get bored. So I name all the things that need to be done around the house and he STILL says I'd get bored (mentally of course).

I never seem to get any cleaning done with the kids in tow...

One thing I am going to try again to keep things simple, is to go back to using the OOF and flyers provided to us by PC, instead of taking the time to reinvent (borrowing from this site, and inserting my info).

JAE said:

There are already 2 outside brooms! - they were both in the front garage, and he said it was just easier and faster to grab my broom.:rolleyes:

ChefBeckyD said:
......Why is it since becoming a SAHM, my house is more of a mess, and I have a harder time keeping things clean? Of course, when I was working outside the home, we were DINKs, and the house stays cleaner when you are both gone all day, and there are no kids......

I wondered the same thing. You clean the house in the morning after breakfast, everyone plays, cleanup, then eat lunch, cleanup, then start dinner, cleanup, bathtime, then cleanup... cleaning all day long....

I went to my Grandmother's one day. Left the house at 8am. It was clean. Came home about 7pm. It was still clean. I was amazed. I got used to being home and USING the house during the day and it getting messy. I used to wonder how working women kept their house clean when they weren't home to clean it all day. DUHHHHH... They aren't home to make it messy either !!!!!!:rolleyes:

However, now my kids are older and now I am working.. I am not home to make it messy, but now they are and my hubby. Now I can leave with it clean and come home to it used. How do I fix that? I know, I know, have them do it.......:eek:

An article for everyone - kind of interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/01/health/01well.html?no_interstitial

janetupnorth said:
An article for everyone - kind of interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/01/health/01well.html?no_interstitial

Great - I'm not just disorganized, I'm screwed up too. :rolleyes:

I want to know where my weight loss is since I've been organizing and getting rid of things for 1 1/2 years!

Where is Jillysue with all this talk of organization?

I think she should have her own show on DIY or HGTV

Are simplifying and organizing the same thing?

I'll never be an organized person - too much organization, and I start feeling constricted and like I can't breath.:yuck:

De-cluttering will help me simplify, but I am under no illusions that I will become an organized person.:D

I don't know but I just found someone to give all my son's 3T clothes to at our home church. I am doing some cleaning this weekend (after I address PC invitations of course). Hubby will be so proud I'm getting rid of stuff!!!!

ChefBeckyD said:
Great - I'm not just disorganized, I'm screwed up too. :rolleyes:

I thought the same thing...not of you, Becky, but of me. LOL!

janetupnorth said:
I don't know but I just found someone to give all my son's 3T clothes to at our home church. I am doing some cleaning this weekend (after I address PC invitations of course). Hubby will be so proud I'm getting rid of stuff!!!!

Micah wears a 3T!:)

I have a friend who blesses us with more clothes than he can wear - what an incredible gift!

dianevill said:
I thought the same thing...not of you, Becky, but of me. LOL!

LOL! Glad it's not just me Diane!

<h2>1. How can I simplify my business to work smarter, not harder?</h2><p>One way to simplify your business is to streamline your paperwork and processes. This can include using digital tools for invoicing and tracking expenses, creating templates for common tasks, and decluttering your physical workspace.</p><h2>2. What are some effective ways to organize my business?</h2><p>Consider using a project management tool or scheduling software to keep track of tasks and deadlines. You can also create a filing system for important documents and use labels or color-coding to easily find what you need.</p><h2>3. How can I make packing for shows and events easier?</h2><p>Limit the items you bring to shows to only the essentials, such as your New Consultant Kit and any necessary demonstrations tools. Take advantage of current promotions or specials to minimize the number of items you need to bring.</p><h2>4. Are there any specific techniques for simplifying during busy months?</h2><p>During busy months, it's important to prioritize and focus on the most important tasks. Consider delegating or outsourcing tasks that can be done by others, and don't be afraid to say no to additional commitments or opportunities.</p><h2>5. How can I simplify my business in order to make it more attractive to potential recruits?</h2><p>Showcasing a well-organized and efficient business can be a selling point for potential recruits. Consider sharing your streamlined processes and systems with them, and highlight the benefits of working smarter, not harder, in your business.</p>

1. How can I simplify my business to work smarter, not harder?

One way to simplify your business is to streamline your paperwork and processes. This can include using digital tools for invoicing and tracking expenses, creating templates for common tasks, and decluttering your physical workspace.

2. What are some effective ways to organize my business?

Consider using a project management tool or scheduling software to keep track of tasks and deadlines. You can also create a filing system for important documents and use labels or color-coding to easily find what you need.

3. How can I make packing for shows and events easier?

Limit the items you bring to shows to only the essentials, such as your New Consultant Kit and any necessary demonstrations tools. Take advantage of current promotions or specials to minimize the number of items you need to bring.

4. Are there any specific techniques for simplifying during busy months?

During busy months, it's important to prioritize and focus on the most important tasks. Consider delegating or outsourcing tasks that can be done by others, and don't be afraid to say no to additional commitments or opportunities.

5. How can I simplify my business in order to make it more attractive to potential recruits?

Showcasing a well-organized and efficient business can be a selling point for potential recruits. Consider sharing your streamlined processes and systems with them, and highlight the benefits of working smarter, not harder, in your business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kelly8
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
ChefJen2012
  • alidafrizzell
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • chefannie