• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Prayers for East Coast: Safety During Irene

so good! I hope everyone has a safe trip and that the storm doesn't cause too much damage.Re: IreneHey everyone we live here in southern nj right where the original path was said to come aground in nj. My in-laws were actually south 15 miles south and are headed to our house, the southern end of our state has already been mandorotied to move out. They feel we are safe from flooding and most wind damage here in my town but my in-laws are panicked about their home.My mother lives in a 8 story high rise building and she is physically handicapped so she will be joining us too..........please pray that we all survived the storm and still have
pampered1224
Silver Member
I am sending out prayers to everyone out on the east coast as Irene looks like she is gonna hit hard. I am hoping all of you that need to heed the warnings, are or will be doing what is needed to be safe. They are talking about New Jersey, New York and Boston all ending up full of water. At least 6" of rain in the Boston area, 2" to 3" with a storm surge that could take out the New York subway system and Long Island building basements will become swimming pools. As well the 10" plus in the Carolinas. You all be safe. Get to where you need to be.

Re: IreneThanks! We have friend's on the outer banks so may soon have house guests. As far as we are concerned, we are expecting a LOT of rain. In the past we have has damage in our area from big hurricanes and this one sounds like a doozy so we are a little concerned but we are on the edge of things. We've been in pretty much a drought state so the large amounts of rain is worrysome.We're adding our prayers to those in the direct path. No matter what happens here it will be much worse to the east of us.

Re: IreneThanks John.... I'm hoping to remain dry. All items that can become flying projectiles have been put in the garage. Have an extra tank of propane.

Re: IreneMy folks are currently en route to my house - they live in Beaufort right next to Morehead City which is expecting the landfall as of last forecast. I'm concerned with the areas in the Coastal Plains that flooded so bad w/Floyd back in '99. Praying that folks make good decisions that keep them SAFE up and down the East Coast!

Re: IreneYes, hoping everyone stays safe!

Re: IreneStay safe everyone! This one's nothing to mess with!

Re: IreneMy boys are anxiously watching the skys. We'll have alot of wind (gusts up to 40-50mph) here, and I think they are calling for 2-5" of rain....it just depends on the final track. We're about 20 miles WEST of the "I-95 corridor"....east of I-95 is what will feel the impacts more.So we'll see. I just hope the beaches/homes survive. We love going out there. And the horses on the outbanks islands.....poor horses!

Re: Irene
tiggerhale said:
My folks are currently en route to my house - they live in Beaufort right next to Morehead City which is expecting the landfall as of last forecast.

I'm concerned with the areas in the Coastal Plains that flooded so bad w/Floyd back in '99. Praying that folks make good decisions that keep them SAFE up and down the East Coast!

Where do you live in NC? I love Beaufort and Morehead City. That's one of our favorite NC destinations. Praying...

Re: IreneHey everyone we live here in southern nj right where the original path was said to come aground in nj. My in-laws were actually south 15 miles south and are headed to our house, the southern end of our state has already been mandorotied to move out. They feel we are safe from flooding and most wind damage here in my town but my in-laws are panicked about their home.
My mother lives in a 8 story high rise building and she is physically handicapped so she will be joining us too..........please pray that we all survived the storm and still have our sanity when its over........ what do you got when you have a hubby, wife, two inlaws, a mother, 3 dogs, 7 cats -------------- all h@%% breaking loose.....lol

pmprdprettyinsnj said:
Hey everyone we live here in southern nj right where the original path was said to come aground in nj. My in-laws were actually south 15 miles south and are headed to our house, the southern end of our state has already been mandorotied to move out. They feel we are safe from flooding and most wind damage here in my town but my in-laws are panicked about their home.
My mother lives in a 8 story high rise building and she is physically handicapped so she will be joining us too..........please pray that we all survived the storm and still have our sanity when its over........ what do you got when you have a hubby, wife, two inlaws, a mother, 3 dogs, 7 cats -------------- all h@%% breaking loose.....lol

Sounds like Irene will be a nice distraction!

BethCooks4U said:
Where do you live in NC? I love Beaufort and Morehead City. That's one of our favorite NC destinations. Praying...

I grew up going to Morehead City on a camp excursion (camp was in Arapahoe)! Tony's Seafood was always the highlight of the trip...oh their hush puppies!!

Re: IreneI'm in Vermont and we are expecting a ton of rain and wind as well. Getting things ready around the house today and tomorrow .. especially our gardens and farm animals. We've got 160 chickens to move to safety tomorrow.

Re: IreneWe live in central NJ...about 20 minutes from the beach....just finished taking in pool chairs, wind chimes, table umbrella, anything not bolted down :(...we were planning on leaving tomorrow for a 5 day end of summer vacation to Ocean City MD...oceanfront condo on the 19th floor.......uhhh that isnt happening...they have just evacuated all of OC.....if they allow people back in, and if we dont have damage here, we will head down there Mon. am-Thursday pm.....right now, here in NJ it is 85* and beautiful sunny...calm before the storm...

Re: IreneI haven't really gotten used to the fact that my little brother (who isn't that little anymore) now lives in NYC. He's in Finland visiting with family, but I just realized he's supposed to come back to the U.S. this weekend. Talked with my mom, he's already left their house and is in Helsinki with our cousin. He's supposed to fly to London tomorrow, then continue to NYC on Sunday. Somehow, I don't think that's going to happen... I'm trying to see if I can reach him and get him in touch with a friend who is in London, just so he has at least someone there just in case. He's a very well traveled young man, and I don't doubt he'll be fine in London, but it's always nice when you have someone you know you can call.

Re: IrenePraying for all those affected...

Re: IreneEveryone stay safe and dry. If the water gets too high, feel free to ship it to Texas!

Re: IrenePraying that everyone stays safe. It is truly nutty out there in the stores, gas stations, traffic etc...and think, it's a Friday even.

BethCooks4U said:

I actually live in Wake County - so about 3 hours from Beaufort. My folks moved there when Dad retired. It is a wonderful place! Lots of great people. Just praying that everyone will be safe...and damage is at a minimum.

Re: IreneThe news I have been watching this a.m. looks like it dropped two levels from 3 to 1 so it is now only 85 mph. Which in my books is still very high. Also the rain totals seem to have been dropped as well. Hang in there folks, Myrtle Beach has been passed by Irene thus far!

Re: IreneIt's dropped because it's essentially made landfall. That will be good for the northern states waiting for this to hit....but the rains won't change a whole lot....just wind speed. I'm on the very edge of the rain bands you see on the radar- just NE of Raleigh. We're getting steady rains, not too heavy. Winds are sustaining 20-30mph range, with gusts 40+ as they said. My little anemometer is going nuts. The upstairs sounds like it is going to come apart, but other than that....just another stormy event where I am- thank goodness! We were ready though, especially when it had wobbled more west. Fran hit hear 15 years ago and it was terrible. People who have been interviewed via phone on the news are saying it's one of the worst storms they've rode out (is that correct??) in a long time. Those outer banks islands are so narrow and fragile, it's always sad to see them take direct hits. They are some of our most favorite areas to visit.

Re: IreneI am glad to hear that you and yours are good! I have never been to NC. I have seen pictures and I can see the concern for the outer banks. A strong storm surge is all it would take to do extensive if not irreversible damage. Although, after all this times and many hurricanes prior, they are still there now! Mother Nature is such on odd thing ain't it! Beats herself up but keeps coming back!

pampered1224 said:
I am glad to hear that you and yours are good! I have never been to NC. I have seen pictures and I can see the concern for the outer banks. A strong storm surge is all it would take to do extensive if not irreversible damage. Although, after all this times and many hurricanes prior, they are still there now! Mother Nature is such on odd thing ain't it! Beats herself up but keeps coming back!

Well, yes,...that and the MILLIONS they pour into rebuilding beaches all of the time. :)

There is one stretch between Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills down to Cape Hatteras...there is a road down the middle of the island, and then maybe 50 feet of beach on either side....some dunes built up a bit around the road....but that's it! It's barely wide enough for the road! So storms like this, it floods and then the sand just covers the road. That's why they urge folks to get out, because otherwise you can't. Cape Hatteras is the only really wide part of the island. The direct landfall area isn't as small, but the kids and I were wondering where the wild horses go during these storms.

Man....I'm upstairs and the house is shaking! Anyway.....One person posted on the news site "Welcome to NC - we have 4 seasons: Ice Storms, Tornadoes, Earthquakes and Hurricanes!" This year- that's about the truth!

esavvymom said:
Anyway.....One person posted on the news site "Welcome to NC - we have 4 seasons: Ice Storms, Tornadoes, Earthquakes and Hurricanes!" This year- that's about the truth!

Now that's funny! :D

Re: IreneGood luck to everyone during this storm. I'm in Maryland we are preparing for water, water, and more water. Our ground is so wet that it isn't funny, so flooding is going to happen. I just hope the creek at the back of our acre of ground stays there. I'm off to a birthday party this afternoon, then home to batten down the hatches for the worst tonight.

esavvymom said:
Well, yes,...that and the MILLIONS they pour into rebuilding beaches all of the time. :)

They were doing the Nags Head beach nourishment right in front of our house when we arrived in July. It moved down the beach during the week. It's actually great to see the coverage from Nags Head today with lots of the beach still there and them saying that if they hadn't added the 50 yards of beach that the water would have been in all of the houses. I bet they think it was worth the millions they spent on the project, which isn't finished yet.

We're in the moderate zone. Some rain and wind so far. One of my hosts is having a crab feast today with 6 bushels of crabs on order. I was looking forward to seeing about 5 of my other hosts there, but we're staying put.

My sister is right on the shore in CT, with the Sound on one side and a marsh in her back yard. Fingers are crossed...

Re: IreneIt's eery seeing the news footage showing so much of New York virtually deserted....airports, the streets. Very strange.

Re: IreneYep. I have not heard from my cousin's. I have two that live in Manhattan so they either left and went to "mom & dad's" in up state New York or they are without power. Was kinda surprised as I saw footage from 2 or 3 a.m. when Irene hit them and how calm it seemed to be except that the water was simply spilling over all the flood walls. Then this a.m. all that wind! Reports of flooding as far east as Philadelphia and even the basements of the office buildings along the banks of Long Island. The Holland Tunnel - one of the tubes is closed as it is full of water. Not surprised as it is moving so slowly that it can't help but dump all that moisture somewhere. All of you in the southern states - you all OK? tiggerhale? Terry? Christina? Bobbi? and the rest of you? Still praying that damage for you is minimal! Now - all you of you north - Connecticut, MA, ... We have not forgotten you either. ABC was showing what it looks like in those states it is winding as all get out! The storm surges are just hitting you. And for those of you in MA that got hit earlier this year from the tornadoes, HOLD ON TIGHT! I am so hoping for not further damage to you as well.

Last edited:
Re: IreneHere in VT it is raining like crazy. 4" as of 9am this morning .. wind is just starting to pick up, and roads are flooding. We still have power, but I suspect that won't last. Good day to clean my office!

Re: Irenewell we are still here :)
we had alot of wind and rain, still raining here. I was lucky never lost power. Most of the town is still down due to flooding and trees down. Still not supposed to be on the roads. There was a report of a few structures collapsed and report of tornado in next town over (Vineland).

Keep the prayers coming as I have a brother that lives in Maine and we can't contact him, hoping all is well.

Flora
Thanks for all the prayers,,,, oh and by the way we did ok with the inlaws...LOL :angel:

Re: IreneOur friends in Kitty Hawk ended up staying and made it through alright. He's a pastor and had a funeral Friday morning while they were doing the evacuation. They had damage to their house but no flooding. The yard flooded but it stayed within 5 feet of the house. Their church buildings all were flooded as were many buildings in town and most of the houses around them. Streets are still impassible so they can only venture out as far as they can walk. Luckily no one was hurt. As for us, our area had rain for maybe 24 hours but not large amounts. We also had a lot of wind. I was about an hour west of here most of the day yesterday at a regional fall kickoff and there was no rain but a LOT of wind. It's a bright cloudless day today. Continued prayers going out for those still in the path of Irene.

Re: Irene(((hugs))) to all of you who are being effected by Irene!

Re: IreneWe're good here John. We were just far enough inland for this storm (Raleigh area)...just a lot of rain and wind (typical storm type weather).Just a handful of photos posted so far. These are those roads I was telling you about- very narrow islands, now they have no roads....again.http://www.wral.com/weather/image_gallery/10057012/

Last edited:
Re: IreneOver 7 1/2" here in Vermont. Roads have closed all over town - and the neighboring town of Ludlow (Okemo Mountain) is under water. AND it is still raining.

Re: IrenePA got hit pretty hard, too, in the Philly area. My family made it through fine, no power outage or flooding, just some branches in the yard. But several neighbors had flooded basements and all of the local rivers, creeks and streams are flooding and causing road closures all over. An elderly couple nearby needed to be evacuated from their attic because their basement and first floor had flooded and they had no way out! We hosted a friend and his daughter for the weekend because they were supposed to be at the Jersey shore with friends, but were evacuated and needed somewhere to stay. It was an interesting adventure to share, especially when the tornado warnings started around 10pm last night! So glad it's over! Hope everyone else is ok!

Re: Irenewell thought the worst was over here in NJ but not yet. just got word that here in my town all of the local lakes are cresting over their damns and threatening to destroy alot of towns along the way. My city has evacuations around town, had to move my mom out of here high rise as she was in direct path of damn flood waters. Keep prayering for those around these areas.....

Flora

Re: IreneI have not been on CS that much but thank you for everyone praying for us on the east coast. I live on Long Island, NY and we had a lot of flooding, and down trees. A lot of houses in suffolk county and Nassau county still do not have power but Lipa is working on getting the power restored by Friday. ;)

Re: IreneVermont got hit hard - 9 1/2" of rain, we've been without power for 36 hours now, running a generator (need my internet fix!) .. roads are gone all around use. It is absolutely unbelievable.

Re: IreneI went to Hatteras about 6 years ago. They were still talking about the big hurricane a few years back. (Hugo?) Every house is on stilts for a reason I was shocked when I saw Route 12 washed out. I posted a link to my friends who went there with me, "Look what happened to OUR ISLAND?"I don't remember what part of Hatteras I visited ...

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
janetupnorth
Back