• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Party Planning: Can Cream Puffs be Made Ahead of Time?

so someone got the recipe wrong on the SB?Re: Profiterolshmm, I wonder who that might be. Maybe they just didn't have a copy of the recipe handy when they posted? Who knows!Re: ProfiterolsThe recipe on the SB says to use frozen whipped topping and 1/2 cup icing sugar.
ChefPaulaB
I am planning on making these for a party Saturday but I have a lot to do and get ready and I want to have as much done ahead of time as possible. Does anyone know if these can be made up ahead of time and if so how far ahead. Can you do the whole thing filling and all or just have the puffs and filling made and put them in closer to serving time. I've never made them before and I'm going to have to make a couple batches, so any tips or words of wisdom would be welcome! TIA!!!

Re: ProfiterolsYou can make them and fill them ahead of time.

Bake the puffs, let cool and then fill. I freeze them like this.

When you need them, put on your serving tray and in about 30-45 minutes they will be ready to serve.

I cheat and just squeeze Hershey syrup over them right before I serve them.

I always keep a batch in the freezer for emergencies.

Re: Profiterols
kam said:
I always keep a batch in the freezer for emergencies.

What a great idea! I love those things and had never thought to freeze them - yum!!

Re: ProfiterolsFreezing them works GREAT!!!!

Re: ProfiterolsOh Yay!!! I am so happy to hear that! I am going to make some up to freeze for the party! Perfect! Thank you!

Re: ProfiterolsYummy! They were a hit for my crowd! :)

Re: ProfiterolsI always make these for my shows, with homemade whipping cream and everyone LOVES them! :)

Re: ProfiterolsWhat is the best way to freeze these... freeze on a cookie sheet and then transfer to container or ziplock, or just freeze right in container or ziplock?

Re: ProfiterolsThe way I froze mine was, I used press & seal. Put a sheet of it down, put all the profiteroles on it & put another sheet on top & pressed around all of them & they all stayed in tact....HTH

ChefPaulaB said:
What is the best way to freeze these... freeze on a cookie sheet and then transfer to container or ziplock, or just freeze right in container or ziplock?

I just put them into a container (without freezing first), wax paper between layers.

Re: ProfiterolsThank you everyone!

Re: ProfiterolsWhat are these. From everyone's posts they sound awesome. Just curious, I have never heard of them. That's probably since I am fairly new to PC and CS

Re: ProfiterolsHere you go Heather...

Profiterole Puffs

Puffs:
3/4 cup (175 mL) water
1/4 cup (50 mL) butter or margarine
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
3 eggs, lightly beaten

Filling and Topping:

3 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) Double-Strength Vanilla
2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped pistachios or almonds
1/4 cup (50 mL) prepared chocolate frosting, melted

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). For puffs, in (1.5-qt./1.5 L) Saucepan, combine water, butter and salt; bring to a boil over high heat. Add flour all at once. Using Classic Scraper, stir mixture vigorously about 1 minute or until mixture leaves sides of pan and forms into a ball. Remove from heat; place dough into Classic Batter Bowl. Add eggs and whisk until smooth and very thick using Stainless Whisk.

2. Spray Deluxe Mini-Muffin Pan with oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Using Small Scoop, scoop batter into cups. Bake 22-25 minutes or until deep golden brown; remove from oven. Pierce side of each puff using Quikut Paring Knife to release steam. Remove puffs from pan to Stackable Cooling Rack; cool completely.

3. For filling, combine whipped topping, icing sugar and vanilla; mix gently using Small Mix 'N Scraper(R). Attach bismarck tip to Easy Accent(R) Decorator; fill with filling and pipe into center of each puff. For topping, microwave frosting in Prep Bowl on HIGH 5-10 seconds or until melted; drizzle over puffs. Sprinkle with pistachios.

Yield: 24 puffs

Per serving: (1 puff): Calories 90, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Carbohydrate 10 g, Protein 1 g, Sodium 55 mg, Fiber 0 g

Cook's Tip: If desired, 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla can be substituted for the Double Strength Vanilla.

Profiteroles can be prepared well in advance. Place finished profiteroles on the Chillzanne(R) Rectangle Server and freeze until ready to serve. Thaw for 15 minutes before serving.

Last edited:
Re: ProfiterolsOkay can someone check their recipe and check my whipped topping amount? My copy says 3 lg? WTH?

Re: Profiterolsthe SS 07 SB says 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, 3/4 cup powered sugar, then the rest of your ingredients... HTHs!

Re: ProfiterolsThanks you I definitely need to try these they sound so good. Are they easy to make?

Re: ProfiterolsThanks Andrea. I went and got my S/B S/S 07 and the Canadian version is as above (I corrected it) and calls for frozen whipped topping and 1/2 cup icing sugar. How wierd is that? I wonder why they aren't the same because they usually are. Only time our recipe is different than the US is when we don't have that product available such as banana pudding.

Guess that means you can make it either way and it'll still be yummy :)

Re: ProfiterolsHeather, they are VERY easy! Give it a try :)

kcjodih said:
Thanks Andrea. I went and got my S/B S/S 07 and the Canadian version is as above (I corrected it) and calls for frozen whipped topping and 1/2 cup icing sugar. How wierd is that? I wonder why they aren't the same because they usually are. Only time our recipe is different than the US is when we don't have that product available such as banana pudding.

Guess that means you can make it either way and it'll still be yummy :)

Mine from s/s 07 says 1 8 oz container frozen whipped topping and 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp double strength vanilla.... then in the cooks tips it says the 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream nad 3/4 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp double strength vanilla... I planned on using the frozen whipped topping, I need easy!

Re: ProfiterolsCrap! I'm out of regular flour.... does anyone know if you can use whole wheat flour for these? I have that and cake flour... I really wanted to make a batch of these tonight and I don't want to go to the store...

ChefPaulaB said:
Crap! I'm out of regular flour.... does anyone know if you can use whole wheat flour for these? I have that and cake flour... I really wanted to make a batch of these tonight and I don't want to go to the store...

I would think the cake flour over the whole wheat...
IMO

Re: ProfiterolsOkay, I made these (with regular flour) and I am not impressed. The looked cool and were fun to make but the pastry part tasted very eggy to me and the filling was just okay, tasted pretty much like cool whip to me (and I'm not a huge fan of plain cool whip). I made 2 batches and same thing with both. Any tips here? Something that needs to be tweeked that'll take care of the eggy problem. I really wanted to like these, they are so cool...

Re: ProfiterolsI haven't made these before, but I had a friend make them and bring them to a social event we both attended and I loved them. However, her filling was raspberry flavored, not too strong, but really good! I'm assuming it was a PC recipe because she said a consultant taught her how to make them.

ChefPaulaB said:
Okay, I made these (with regular flour) and I am not impressed. The looked cool and were fun to make but the pastry part tasted very eggy to me and the filling was just okay, tasted pretty much like cool whip to me (and I'm not a huge fan of plain cool whip). I made 2 batches and same thing with both. Any tips here? Something that needs to be tweeked that'll take care of the eggy problem. I really wanted to like these, they are so cool...

Profiterole pastry is an egg pastry, so I don't know that you can completely get away from it, but it's also possible that they were just a tad underbaked, which would make the egg taste more pronounced.

I've always used the real cream filling, so that takes care of a cool-whip taste. My MIL always makes hers with Vanilla pudding with a little cool whip stirred into it to make it "fluffier" and that tastes pretty good.

Re: ProfiterolsMMMM. I'd love to know what the raspberry fillng was!

kcjodih said:
MMMM. I'd love to know what the raspberry fillng was!

I know, me too! I'm going to call my friend today and try to get the recipe. (I've been wanting to ask her about booking a party, so it'll give me an excuse to call.) ;)

Re: ProfiterolsDoes anyone know if you can make the profiterole a day ahead, without putting the cream in....I'd like to use the EAD with them at a show. Do you think they'll be okay?

Does anyone know if you can make the profiterole a day ahead, without putting the cream in....I'd like to use the EAD with them at a show. Do you think they'll be okay?

Yes, you can.

1. Can cream puffs be made ahead of time?

Yes, cream puffs can be made ahead of time. You can prepare the dough and bake the puffs up to a day in advance. They can also be filled and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before serving.

2. How should I store the cream puffs if I make them ahead of time?

The best way to store cream puffs is to place them in an airtight container or zip-top bag and store them in the refrigerator. This will help keep them fresh and prevent them from becoming soggy.

3. Can I freeze cream puffs to make them even further ahead of time?

Yes, cream puffs can be frozen for up to 2 months. After baking and cooling, place the puffs in an airtight container or zip-top bag and store them in the freezer. Thaw them in the refrigerator before filling and serving.

4. What is the best way to reheat cream puffs?

To reheat cream puffs, place them on a baking sheet and heat them in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-10 minutes. You can also microwave them for a few seconds, but be careful not to overheat them or they may become soggy.

5. Can I fill the cream puffs before serving or should I wait until right before?

It is best to fill the cream puffs right before serving to prevent them from becoming soggy. However, you can prepare the filling and store it in the refrigerator ahead of time, then fill the puffs right before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • Tpol04
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • gussey30