• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking with Stoneware: Does the Food Continue to Cook?

In summary, stoneware is great for keeping food warm, but it is important to monitor the food to prevent overcooking.
michelelashuk
I am new to The Pampered Chef...my SS month is June, however I have done a few parties and someone brought up a question that I didn't know how to answer it exactly. Maybe you all can help! If you cook something on/in a stoneware piece and leave it on/in the piece to keep warm...does the food continue to cook? How should I answer this one?

Thanks for your help!

Michele Lashuk

I wouldn't say it continues to cook, but it does still keep the food warm, which is a great benefit and selling point. This is how I explain stoneware works in the oven: since ovens run with a thermostat, the temperature fluctuates throughout cooking. If the oven senses that it's not quite 350 degrees, it'll kick on and compensate for that. If it gets over the set temp then it'll turn back off. So, it's really never a constant temp. The nice thing about stoneware is that once it gets to the desired temp, it stays there. The food cooks/bakes much more evenly and thoroughly. Then when you take it out of the oven, the stone SLOWLY cools, but still stays warm and keeps food warm too. Since it no longer has the heating element of the oven it really doesn't continue to cook.

Hope that makes sense! :)

Independent Pampered Chef ConsultantGreat question! The answer is yes, the food will continue to cook if left on/in the stoneware piece to keep warm. Stoneware retains heat very well, so it is important to keep an eye on the food and remove it from the stoneware when it is done cooking to prevent overcooking. You can also transfer the food to a separate dish to keep it warm, if needed. It's always a good idea to check the food periodically to ensure it is not overcooking.

1. Does food continue to cook after removing stoneware from the oven?

Yes, stoneware retains heat even after being removed from the oven, so food will continue to cook for a short period of time. It is recommended to remove food from stoneware once it is cooked to prevent overcooking.

2. How do I know if my stoneware is properly seasoned?

Properly seasoned stoneware will have a dark, glossy appearance and will feel smooth to the touch. You can also tell if it is well seasoned by placing a drop of water on the surface - if the drop beads up, your stoneware is ready to use.

3. Can I use stoneware on the stovetop or under the broiler?

No, stoneware is not safe for use on the stovetop or under the broiler. It is designed for use in the oven only. Using it on the stovetop or under the broiler can cause the stoneware to crack or break.

4. How do I clean my stoneware?

Stoneware should be cleaned with hot water and a nylon scraper or brush. Avoid using soap or abrasive cleaners, as they can damage the seasoning on the stoneware. If necessary, you can also soak the stoneware in hot water for a few minutes to loosen any stuck-on food.

5. Can I put cold stoneware in a preheated oven?

No, you should never put cold stoneware in a preheated oven. The sudden change in temperature can cause the stoneware to crack or break. Always allow your stoneware to come to room temperature before placing it in a preheated oven.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Mariaandcassy
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
dessertMama