• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Write-Offs for Business Expenses: Can a MFP Bag Count?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of writing off certain items as business expenses for tax purposes. The participants share information about a document called "What Can I Write Off" and discuss the outdated information it contains. They also mention the changing mileage rates for tax deductions and the importance of keeping receipts for business expenses. One participant asks about writing off earned incentives as business expenses, to which another participant responds that this is considered income rather than a deduction. Overall, the conversation focuses on the intricacies of tax deductions for business expenses.
kayleigh
I am getting all my information together for taxes and I came across a thought. I read somewhere on here about the pretty in pleats bags that someone was going to write off as advertising for their business.

So this got me thinking. For example, we earned the MFP in Feb from the Dec 2012 SAT- Why couldnt we write this off as a kit enhancement? I havent used mine but mainly at shows.

What do you think?

Re: Questionthere's a great document that i found posted here called "what can i write off" - i've re-attached it here for you that goes into lots of detail about write offs. i think it will help answer your question. =)

Attachments

• What Can I Write Off.doc
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,118
Re: QuestionThat's a great document but it looks like some things are outdated. Does anyone know if any of the tax laws have changed over these years?I ask this specifically because reading the MILEAGE AND TOLLS portion:
"MILEAGE AND TOLLS
 To cluster meetings, conferences, grocery store, post office, bank, etc. For shows, check with your accountant: this may be deducted if you stop on the way for food or if you have a home office). See note under Home Office Expenses
 The rate for miles driven between January 1 and August 31, 2005 is $0.405 per mile. From September 1 to December 31, 2005 the rate is $0.485. The new rate for 2006 is $0.445.
This tells me that this document is at least 5 years old.....

Re: QuestionYes, mileage rates change yearly (sometimes mid-year). 2011 Rates:
Jan1 - June 30 = 51 cents
July 1 - Dec 31 = 55.5 centsCurrently for 2012: 55.5 cents

Re: Questionit wasn't the mileage rates that concerned me... it was the fact that the mileage rates were from 2005 and 2006 that indicated to me that this entire document was years old. I wondered if anyone knew if there were newer deductions or some that could no longer be used, etc.

Re: QuestionCheck out the tax info on cc under the 1099 stuff. All the home office info and deduction stuff is there.

Any thing you use in your business can be considered a write off... I guess it depends on the accountant. My accountant told me to write off products earned because they are samples, what would be the difference if I bought them or earned them? One way or another I'd still have to pay for them. I think the bags are less of a write off than a product. So items earned from Sell A Thons were turned around and used as write offs... You can't write off the recruiting things, like a gift card earned, or some of the recruiting incentives (I earned a coffee maker, toaster, and a cd player)

Now a previous consultant I know used to write off her manicures and trips to the salon... my opinion not a tax write off. If you use your better judgement you will be fine.

This was my first year I didn't take a loss on my PC business.... and that was because of all the incentives earned ($2000 for the TOT trip) but after write offs and expenses I only techinically made $1000 profit from my business... which means I paid less taxes.

Last edited:
Re: QuestionYou can check with your tax professional, but I have a feeling the IRS would question that one.When you make money, then spend money on your business ... you actually have a receipt showing where you spent the money. So, lets say the car logo ... that is money that I've taken from my paycheck & spent on advertising. It's a justified expense for my PC business and I have the receipt to show how much it cost me to do that advertising. If you took your paycheck & purchased a MFP, you'd have the receipt to show your investment. But I don't think showing earned incentives as an expense will work in an IRS audit.

Re: Question
kayleigh said:
I am getting all my information together for taxes and I came across a thought. I read somewhere on here about the pretty in pleats bags that someone was going to write off as advertising for their business.

So this got me thinking. For example, we earned the MFP in Feb from the Dec 2012 SAT- Why couldnt we write this off as a kit enhancement? I havent used mine but mainly at shows.

What do you think?

You're right, you earned the MFP. It's considered income, not a deduction.
I'm guessing you didn't get a 1099-MISC from Pampered Chef this year. If you had, the MFP would have shown up on the "Other Income" detail.

For example, my 1099-MISC shows the large duffel as being worth $50. I can't write it off as an expense. I can write off the expenses I incurred having the 2 shows to earn that bag, but not the $50.

If someone bought the pretty in pleats bag, instead of earning it, that is an expense.

1. Can I deduct the cost of a MFP bag as a business expense?

Yes, you can deduct the cost of a MFP (multi-functional printer) bag as a business expense if you use it primarily for business purposes. This means that you must use it more than 50% of the time for work-related tasks.

2. What if I also use the MFP bag for personal purposes?

If you use the MFP bag for both business and personal purposes, you can still deduct the portion of the cost that is used for business. For example, if you use the MFP bag 70% for business and 30% for personal, you can deduct 70% of the cost as a business expense.

3. Can I deduct the entire cost of the MFP bag in one year?

It depends on the cost of the MFP bag. If the cost is considered a capital expense (over $2,500), you may have to depreciate the cost over multiple years. However, if the cost is under $2,500, you may be able to deduct the entire cost in one year as a business expense.

4. What other types of business expenses can I deduct?

There are many types of business expenses that you can deduct, including office supplies, travel expenses, advertising and marketing costs, and employee salaries. It's important to keep detailed records and consult with a tax professional to determine which expenses are deductible.

5. Are there any restrictions on what types of businesses can deduct MFP bags as a business expense?

No, any type of business can deduct the cost of a MFP bag as long as it is used for business purposes. This includes small businesses, freelancers, and self-employed individuals. However, it's always best to consult with a tax professional to ensure that you are following all tax laws and regulations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefautumn
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • monica_sweetconsultant
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
monica_sweetconsultant
  • barbchan