1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: I am done with PC

1. milkangel

milkangel Advanced Member

I think i am done doing PC. I have not submitted ant show in July except 2 I orders. ( only one thing each). I had called a host today and she wants to wait till september. and i have 2 yet this month but one i do not thing it will happen. i am empty. i burnt my contacts my resources. i have some that say this fall or winter but need now. I feel lost and empty every time someone cancels or swiches dates. I dont want to lose my sales. every time i do good i get empty again and again. i work hard at it but somehow it does not work. Can any of you convince me not to quit? i am not sure yet.

Aug 3, 2009
  2. pampered1224

pampered1224 Legacy Member Silver Member

Got to say I feel for you. I too am in a major slump. I did my last scheduled party on the 1st of August. I have been on the phone and nothing. However, I refuse to give up. I know it is difficult but in 9 years of doing this, it happens. I am going to ask you two questions. Is this your sole source of income? And how much do you love this opportunity? That will help any of us answer that question.

Aug 3, 2009
  3. pamperedpals

pamperedpals Senior Member Gold Member

I understand completely how you feel. I have been there before and I am sure I will be there again. :)

However, when I start to feel that way again I ask myself "Would I be making this same decision if all was going well with my biz?"

Aug 3, 2009
  4. milkangel

No this is not the only source of income. We have my hubbys Job.
    I do love this opportunity. I love the stuff. i know the biz is the best but only if i can get people to book shows.

Aug 3, 2009
  5. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

My feelings are to just take it one step at a time. I might not have as full of a calendar as I wish, but little by little I plug away. I am able to be active each month. I'm not in it to contribute to our family income, so really there isn't a pressure on me. We don't have monthly dues for being a consultant or anything, so why quit? You have people interested for upcoming months, so that means you are open for business. Take what you do have and look at it as a positive. Those shows could turn into more bookings.

It can be frustrating, I know. I see the major success of others and feel like a failure. But I can't give into that negative thinking. It won't help me, it won't influence others to choose me. I have to stay positive and do all I can. If the shows dry up, and the leads dry up, then I go inactive. But if you have people interested and you like PC and want it to work, why quit?

Hang in there. Find out what your goals are. If the business makes you happy and you enjoy it, don't quit. You don't lose anything by trying. But if you're tired of trying and don't want to anymore, that's for you to decide.

Best wishes. :)

Aug 3, 2009
  6. KellyRedHead

KellyRedHead Advanced Member

I also haven't had a show since July and feel your pain.

I am (I think) going to have my own show here and see how it goes.

It can't hurt. I am not going to do an open house, just a normal cooking show.
    Might work for you too!

Kelly V.

Aug 3, 2009
  7. Grandmarita

Grandmarita Advanced Member Gold Member

Having your own show, is certainly worth the try. I did that in one of my low times,
    got two bookings that happened, and they led two additional bookings. It boosted my
    hopes, and I have hung in here for over four years. I've not done as many shows as
    I would like but I'm thankful for the ones that have come along.

Talk with the person who recruited you, go to a group meeting, and send out a newsletter. I'm so glad I did not hang up my apron this past Spring when I let my
    career sales go, and dropped back to 20% commission. I'm looking forward to the
    new Catalog and the new Potato soup recipe selling DCB's this Fall.

Aug 3, 2009
  8. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

"I think I'm done giving up on PC. I have not submitted any shows in July, but had two individual orders. I called a host today, and she wants to hold a show in September! I have two shows booked this month, and though I feel one may not hold, I will encourage both hosts to invite just five friends, and challenge them to bring at least one friend. My calendar looks empty, and I've contacted everyone I can think of, so now I get to go out and make new contacts. Just like everyone else in the business, alot of hosts cancel or postpone, which means I can offer more dates to more leads. I work hard, and enjoy what I'm doing, and won't let challenges discourage me. Can anyone convince me of a good reason to quit?!"

This is what it looks like when you change the conversation in your head.

9. janetupnorth

janetupnorth Legend Member Gold Member

Thumbs up to Sarah's response. That's what I was thinking!

Everytime someone comes with a "woe is me" post or a "convince me not to quit" post, I think, why? You already quit in your mind. You need to change how you view things and how you think. It isn't the business, it isn't the people, it is you and how you approach it. A good book is "Go for No", it really emphasizes how to make NO a positive thing in your head.

Aug 3, 2009
  10. pampchefrhondab

pampchefrhondab Senior Member

I had a good training class at confrence from Tammy Stanley. She had not cancellation or postponments for 7 years! Her trick - host coach! But the most important thing she said is say "thank you" to the host! She says something like this, "Lisa, the first thing I want to do is to thank you for hosting a show with me. Now I know that you already know this, but it is through hosts like you that I expand my business. I just couldn’t do it without people like you. So, I really, really want to thank you. And the best way I know how to thank you is to get you as many free products as I possibly can. In order for me to do that, “I’ll need you to follow these few coaching tips…..”

Try this on your two hosts and see if it helps them keep your show dates.

11. I know how you feel about giving up. I feel like that all the time because how can you not. I find that taking some time off really helps! I've been doing that lately, and putting values on what is important to you.

12. susanr613

susanr613 Senior Member Gold Member

thank you milkangel for coming to the board instead of just hanging up your apron. that's why we're here. i have been in a slump pretty much the whole year and came very close to bailing out. then i realized that the slump is temporary but my love of the products and doing shows is long term. i have been just active many months, and am gearing up for a great fall...starting with hitting the phones and having my own show in september.

best of luck managing through this spell and being ready to kick tushie when the time is right

Aug 3, 2009
  13. Melissa78

Melissa78 Veteran Member Gold Member

Thanks for giving us a good book tip. According to Amazon it gets 5 stars. I love books like that and have a slew of them. I will check it out!

From the cover of the book "Yes is the destination, No is how you get there."

Aug 3, 2009
  14. lockhartkitchen

lockhartkitchen Senior Member

Stick with it! In the past 6 months my family has gone through a lot of things. I was lucky to have one show in July and looks like only one show in August. I learned a long time ago to look toward your future not the present. You have shows scheduled for September, so focus on September. I don't know if you are spirtual or not, but I have a picture at home that says, "When doors close, God opens a window". I've had a lot of doors closed, but God always and faithfully has a window open for me. Sometimes the windows feel like they are painted shut, and I have to apply effort to get them open, but that's okay. You'll recover.

15. milkangel

I know what you mean by that. But sometimes it is hard to see it that way when you want it now.

Aug 5, 2009
  16. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

You said you've bled your "list of 100" dry. But what about your customer-contacts?

What about doing just plain 'ole Customer Care Calls- and NOT asking for anything yet. Just call to check on THEM and their products/needs. Then maybe ask them if there is any product that they have on a wish list that they'd like to know when it goes on special. With our upcoming specials- chances are decent they'll say "stones" or something like that. You can then let them know about the special, etc.

Also- at season changeovers- I like to get mini's and for those contacts that have not purchased from me, or that I've not had contact with in a long time, I'd write a hand-written note about the new season, great specials coming up or describe some recipes I'm doing for the Fall, etc.....and send that note/card along with the mini and/or a flyer of the specials maybe. In the note, let them know you'll be calling in a few days or week to see if there is anything you can do for them.

It only takes a couple of shows to rejuvenate your biz. It may be slow going, but what you do now builds the foundation for 3 months from now.

Aug 5, 2009
  17. LeslieSGI

LeslieSGI Member Gold Member

Amen Susan! My thoughts exactly.

Aug 6, 2009
  18. pampered1224

pampered1224 Legacy Member Silver Member

Bobbi that is so "on it". Phenominal Phone calls I bet! Don't ask for what you want. Rather ask how you can help or how things are going and go from there.
    I too am working on getting on the phone starting - maybe - tonight. I have some major financial issues to deal with right now and well, my mood is less than stellar and I am so afraid it will translate into those calls, but I can't fix money problems without money! milkangel, we have all been there. What you need to do is set your sights low. Sounds odd but just set a goal to make $150 in sales for the month. Do your own catalog party and feature the fall Discontinued products maybe at a small, and I mean small, discount. Maybe 5%. Especially since you will only make your minimum commission on a $150 party. Remember that minimum keeps it going long enough to get further. Something will click. It always seems to do so in this business. And you know what, I just gave myself an idea! Got to get on it!

19. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

I feel for you. I really do.

The only business I've had since March (when I went full time again) has been due to the catalog tote and the fairs I've been too. But I stuck with it and am looking to have a VERY STRONG fall.

Find a booth and WORK IT! Hang up flyers with tear-off things offering 10 percent off. Pamper a business the "new way" so you don't bake for people who don't want your products.

20. milkangel

I have ben struggling with this the past few months. SO i have found something else thast i think might be better it is tastefully simple. who has done this and what is your views on it? i have done someany booths and i have little to show for it and also i have worked it hard. i now feel as if the lord is leading me to something different but i will coninue hopefully selling pc. what is the law on this selling another company and i will not combine the too.

Aug 6, 2009
  21. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

22. Liquid Sky

Liquid Sky Advanced Member

Why do you feel Tastefully Simple will be "better" for you? Are you passionate about their business and the business model?

All direct sales companies are the same, in the fact that it takes a lot of work to make the contacts, build repitore and doing what's necessary to keep the biz moving forward.

Do you have a Director that you have expressed your concerns to?

Aug 6, 2009
  23. KellyRedHead

KellyRedHead Advanced Member

I am not knocking Tastefully Simple I have been to a few of their shows, but I believe you have some cost with that. You have to purchase the dips for everyone to taste and I think ( I could be wrong) you have to have inventory??
    I know the show I went to the consultant had most everything there and only had to order a few items.

I could be wrong through and if I am some one chime in...

But like the above post, it was mention direct sales is direct sales. You have to be passionate about what you are doing be cause it reflects the way you come across to others.
    But if think you are having a hard time getting shows, will the other company fix that problem for you??

Just my 2 cents!
    Kelly V. :chef:

24. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

The rules say you can't be a DIRECTOR and sell two product lines, but nothing about being a consultant and selling two. However, when I tried it, I found I did not have the energy and passion to run two businesses.

Do you LOVE the product? Will it be embraced by people around you? Are you passionate about it?

Yes, I have been next to TS people who have sold cash and carry left and right, but I have found that when it comes to any business, you get out what you put in.

Personally, I find that people in my life will not waste $10 on a spice or box of muffin mix these days.

25. taterbug

taterbug Member

I so agree with this statement. I have friends that are jewelry consultants and they have a hard time getting me to hold shows simply because I can't get excited about it and if I'm not excited, why would my guests be? I can't see spending $40 on a piece of jewelry but I can see spending $40 on products that I can use for the benefit of my entire family. That is one of the things that I love about PC and is one of the reasons that I have been successful selling......just my two cents.

Aug 6, 2009
  26. legacypc46

legacypc46 Senior Member Gold Member

I like a lot of the TS products, but I can't bring myself to spend money on them when I can pretty much make similar items myself for a lot less (especially with the Food Network just a few click away). But like everyone else said, you have to believe in what you to do in order to be successful in DS.

Aug 6, 2009
  27. milkangel

i will wait untill our additoin is done and when i can be more organized. Than i will see. i just need to do something different in this biz and try something different too. not wiching ds but need to find out why i cant do what i set my goals at. There is no director close here except 1 hour and 20 min away. I did ask my diector and there was nothing else for her to say. no shows close enough to watch. recruiter had quit and had never help me. so now what. need to change my show mat and what i say when i call on the phone so any one can help?

Aug 6, 2009
  28. Liquid Sky

Liquid Sky Advanced Member

For help on the show format: buy Belinda Ellsworth's cd's.
    For help on the telephone: buy Tammy Stanley's cd's.

Also, a Director does not have to be close in order to help you. He/she "should" be able to help/work with you over the phone. If you are not getting the help from your Director then go above them, to their Director, and ask for help.

Aug 6, 2009
  29. heat123

heat123 Legend Member Silver Member

I feel your pain.... I am contemplating hanging up my apron after almost 4 years:(. Still pondering it though. But I agree, we have the BEST Direct selling Biz out there!

Aug 6, 2009
  30. PamperedDor

PamperedDor Senior Member Gold Member

Heather, I feel the same - lost my why and as much as I look I can't find it... PC is the best company, but I really know its time for me to hang it up... I am blessed to have been so successful in this business, and will continue to help those here who have questions, but might go inactive for the first time in 3 1/2 years and 150,000 in sales..

Aug 6, 2009
  31. janetupnorth

janetupnorth Legend Member Gold Member

To the OP, have you watched the CDs that have come in changeover kits? Have you taken the online training?

PC provides so many samples of how to do things. Watch those things they provide for free! :)

Also, there are even calling scripts on CC...dig around there - LOTS of resources!

32. milkangel

I am having a hard time coming up why quit and an exuse for it. the only thing i can comeup with is burnt contacts. Do have some that need to rescedual but that is it. any ideas? need to keep my sales. and i so want to stay home with my kids. i have done someany of my own shows and no one orders any more. from that. ideas please

Aug 6, 2009
  33. TrishPCMommy

TrishPCMommy Member Gold Member

Step out of your comfort zone: Go to a mall (NOT a Walmart or Target (etc) where people are trying to get in and out as fast as they can), somewhere people go to look for a while (or a zoo or museum), wear a logo shirt and your catalog tote and have recipe cards with your contact info stamped or labeled. Look presentable and approachable at all times and walk through the mall and into individual stores. Let other shoppers see you and your tote as you go through items on the racks. The objective is to talk with them about different things you're both finding in the store and hand out your recipe cards ("any good sales you've noticed?"), compliment them on something they say or they're wearing, etc. and start a conversation. From there, "it's great talking to you/you're fun to talk to. I am a Pampered Chef Consultant... would you be interested in gathering some of your friends together for some food and fun?"
    You get the idea... (don't need a script).

34. Gina M

Gina M Veteran Member Gold Member

Don't do it Heather! We'd miss you too much.

Aug 6, 2009
  35. pcchefjane

pcchefjane Senior Member Gold Member

If you don't feel you can do PC, you won't be successful with Tastefully Simple either! They are only spices etc and really I'm not impressed with them. They are higher than ours. You cannot combine the two "legally"!

Just to give you hopefully some encouragement. In July 2008, I had ZERO sales...not one show...not one online order...NOTHING! I prayed about it and asked God to show me if He wanted me to continue PC or not. I told Him that if He wanted me to quit to give me ZERO sales again in August! I had $250 that month and got several booths that I worked and made contacts at! I began to believe in myself because God showed me He was with me in PC. I got my first Recruit in November. Since November 2008, I have had only one month less than $1,000 and that was in January at $324! I have had 3 months of $2,000+. The difference? I started believing in myself again! I got out of my "circle of friends"! I never missed a Cluster Meeting or Training so I can absorb everything I could. I have done all the courses on Consultants Corner. My Recruit has been in a slump and I told her to go back and redo all the courses again to give herself a boost.

Check around your area for sports teams, churches, schools, etc. to do a fundraiser for! Go in happy and enthusiastic! Say, "I would love to help your "whatever" raise some money! PC lets your group sell anything in the catalog to raise money and not just a few special items! We have a great special this month. You can either let your Chairperson order the Host Special her/himself or raffle it off! Would you like some more details?" Go in very upbeat! Convince them you are better than wrapping paper, donuts, and car washes! Just don't "give away the store"! PC does a great job of Host Specials! Don't offer anyone extra free products to book a show! It rarely works and you lose money!

Hang in there! Don't burden yourself with more "stuff"! I may be wrong but I also think TS requires you to keep a lot of stock on hand...that is what one told me last October when I worked a booth beside her.

Aug 6, 2009
  36. legacypc46

legacypc46 Senior Member Gold Member

Listening to the recorded tele-classes available on CC can be a huge help.

Aug 7, 2009
  37. milkangel

how meany of you acually make soething at thsa biz? and how much?

Aug 10, 2009
  38. ChefLoriG

ChefLoriG Advanced Member Gold Member

on average I make $2000 to $3000 a month. I do 6-10 shows a month, but I also have a team under me. Making money at this business can be done, just have to pull up your bootstraps and do the work. Make the calls consistently (don't just give up after 1 whole night of calls and you called everyone and no one answered!) Get out and about, give away recipe cards to everyone you meet. Do fairs, ask for referals. I have a saying on my wall "When you know what you want and you want it badly enough, you'll find a way to get it" How bad do you want to stay in this business?

The key to this business is consistency. Commit to booking 1 show per week, make calls, contacts till you get these shows booked. Once you have the shows booked, then get the bookings from your shows. This way you aren't starting and stopping your business, it's like doing your 1st show all over again, all the time.

Aug 10, 2009
  39. pamperedlinda

pamperedlinda Legend Member Gold Member

Great advice Lori!

40. chefjeanine

chefjeanine Legacy Member Gold Member

I wouldn’t be a consultant if I wasn’t making money. I’ve been able to purchase our cars with my income and contribute to other household bills.

The biggest perk for me is being my own boss. But, I’ve had to come to the realization (and sometimes I have to be reminded over and over again) that this business requires work and commitment. It is a job!

Are there overnight successes? Sure, but they are the exception not the rule. I’d wager that most of us who consider our businesses to be successful have worked at it for several years.

When I’m in a slump all I need to do is look at the employment ads and consider what it means to work for someone else. :yuck: That gets me moving again. :)

Aug 10, 2009
Have something to add?