• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Host Open House Events in My Home?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's desire to hold open house, team meetings, and customer theme shows in their home, but their husband does not think it is a good idea due to the state of their house. The speaker is concerned about the impact on their business and is seeking advice on alternative locations and expenses involved. Other participants in the conversation offer suggestions and encouragement, reminding the speaker that the success of their business is not dependent on the appearance of their home. They suggest using public spaces, such as churches or coffee shops, for meetings and not letting their perception of their house deter them from hosting events.
floccies
My husband does think I should have an open house, team meetings or customer theme shows in our home.

He doesn't think our house is nice enough. It is built in the 70's with smaller rooms, it needs things replaced -- but there is no money to do the work or even buy the materials. We have 3 kids, the youngest is two and it is a struggle to keep things clean and organized. He thinks it would hurt my business because people would look at our house and think we weren't successful.

This is really bothering me. I want to have a theme show every month. I am hoping it would have some sales and some bookings. I realize that I might have some events that had no one show -- so I am concerned about paying to rent a space somewhere else. I have 6 recruits -- but am not a Director yet -- but I know that soon I will be -- but my recruits are scattered (some more than 1 hour from my house) and I don't know that they would all be at a meeting.

Do any of you have events elsewhere (church, hotel, firehall)? If so, where and what are the expenses involved?

Any advice?

we used to have had team meetings at a local bank fee was nominal
we've also met in church halls

I had two open houses (had to combine the sales to just equal one show since it was right after the ice storm), but my hubby didn't get the remodel done in the kitchen in time. So I just took some plastic table cloths and put them over the bar that was still plywood. It didn't look awful, but not great either. I think people will understand. We have a 50 year old house, so believe me, I understand you situation.

We made a sign that just says open house 2-4 with the PC logo on it. We are going to put it out probably once a month and see what happens. Just have some ingredients on hand in case some people come, but not make anything in advance.

I have the same thoughts about my house. The remodeling is coming along slowly because of finances. The oldest part of this house was built around 1810 with the newest part added in the late 1990's. We have lots of drywall up that hasn't been taped or painted yet, and the kitchen, living room and main bathroom are in desperate need of repairs. No matter how clean I make the house, it still looks bad. I would love to be able to do an open house or something, but I won't use my house. The outside of the house looks so bad too. I feel for you. When I had my first show here at the house for my family, I gave them directions, then told them to look for the house on the street with all of the tyvek wrap on the house. We have had to replace a couple of outside walls, but don't have the money to redo the siding yet.

Who cares what your house looks like? It's the person that people care about. You have attracted 6 people to the business. You have customers who like you. They don't care where you live. In fact, it might be a recruiting advantage. You don't live in the best house in town but you are succeeding in your business. I know a lot of consultants who pay their mortgage with their PC income. Maybe some day you'll be able to get a larger house - tell people that's your goal (if it is). Don't worry about it.

If you must meet elsewhere, ask around. Maybe there's a room you can use at your church or a coffee shop. I know that Panara allows meetings for free in their room if people just buy food/drink while ther. Maybe you could hold your meeting in conjunction with another director or one of your leaders on your team. As far as your open houses, etc., again, try one of the places mentioned.

I love the Panera idea, Beth!!!

I agree with Beth that you should not worry how your house looks. Just let everyone know what you intend to do if it is repairs or buy new. If you have a beautiful home it may deter people from coming they may feel uncomfortable. IMHO

I agree that you should not let your PERCEPTION of how your house looks deter you from having events. I did a show in a house that was very much under renovation - the host was happy to show her friends what they were doing, and everyone had a great time.

I have a tiny house and didn't want to have any more than a few people over. I just had a party for another DS business and garnered many compliments on my cute and cozy house.

It's all about attitude. If you have a positive attitude, your guests will be comfortable and happy too!

susanr613 said:
I agree that you should not let your PERCEPTION of how your house looks deter you from having events. I did a show in a house that was very much under renovation - the host was happy to show her friends what they were doing, and everyone had a great time.

I have a tiny house and didn't want to have any more than a few people over. I just had a party for another DS business and garnered many compliments on my cute and cozy house.

It's all about attitude. If you have a positive attitude, your guests will be comfortable and happy too!

I agree with Susan - I have a cute and cozy house too (think small Cape Cod!) and I've done 4 mystery host shows here - always have around 15 - 20 people crammed into my small kitchen - but hey that's the way it is! Not planning on moving and it's only for a few hours. I think it does make you more approachable to show people that anyone can do this job and also have shows in any size space. I tell people I can do the show in their living room if they prefer and it always works out fine. As long as they are having fun - I feel it's a success - good luck!

I agree with everyone else about having it in your house is fine. Now we have our monthly meetings at a church fellowship hall & they do not charge us anything. I have also heard of people having them at libraries or JL bldgs. Check with your local chamber of commerce too.

It doesn't sound like it's HER, but her husband who is frowing on this.

Why don't you all offer to rotate houses between your recruits and then when it comes your turn, maybe find a little hall that you can spring for if it's a small fee, that way you aren't buying a hall except maybe every 6 mo or so? Offer the recruit of the month (hey, good wording!) a small product or maybe $10 extra to host at her home. Of course, you bring and purchase all ingredients if you are to do a demo at the meeting or whatever.

What is an open house?

An open house is a showcase event where Pampered Chef consultants invite guests to their home or a designated location to view and sample our products. It is a great opportunity to introduce friends and family to the Pampered Chef experience and potentially earn free or discounted products.

Why would my husband say no to hosting an open house?

There could be a variety of reasons why your husband may not want to host an open house. Some common concerns may include not wanting to inconvenience guests, feeling uncomfortable with the idea of a sales event in your home, or not wanting to spend money on hosting supplies. It's important to have an open and honest conversation with your husband to address any concerns and find a compromise.

Can I still host an open house without my husband's support?

Yes, you can certainly still host an open house without your husband's support. It's important to communicate to your husband that this is something you are passionate about and explain the potential benefits, such as earning free or discounted products. You can also consider hosting the event at a friend's house or a neutral location if your husband is uncomfortable with having it in your home.

How can I convince my husband to host an open house?

The best way to convince your husband to host an open house is to have an open and honest conversation about your passion for Pampered Chef and the potential benefits of hosting an event. You can also offer to make it a joint effort and involve him in the planning and hosting process. Lastly, consider addressing any concerns or objections your husband may have and finding a compromise that works for both of you.

What are some tips for getting my husband on board with hosting an open house?

Some tips for getting your husband on board with hosting an open house include actively listening to his concerns and addressing them, involving him in the planning process, and offering to make it a joint effort. You can also consider offering incentives, such as hosting rewards or a special date night after the event. Overall, communication and compromise are key in getting your husband's support for hosting an open house.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dwyerkim
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
nikkijo
  • mommylove_07
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Cassie1037
Replies