• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Managing a Huge Couples Party with a 007 Twist - Tips and Tricks for Success

In summary, the host of the show is telling me that because of the increase in the size of the group, she now doesn't think we can do a cook-off. She is worried about the number of people and is thinking the show will
cheesehead
Okay - today was very promising for me, yet a little overwhelming as a new consultant. I got some great news about a Family Fair (I posted in a different thread) and then talked to the host of a couples show I have booked in two weeks...

The host of this show is now telling me she is up to THIRTY COUPLES! She is concerned about the number of people and is thinking the show will have to move into their garage (a three car) to fit all the people. Okay, I know that even though 30 couples are telling her they will be there - they won't all end up showing up. But still, even if 20 couples show up, it is a huge group. Now here is the trouble... she has picked a theme of 007 Martini and Appetizers. I had planned on having a James Bond cook-off...it would men vs. women sharing products to each bake a twist (apple vs. pepperoni). I had planned to break the recipe down with puzzle phrases they would have to figure out and then proceed with the next step to tie in the theme. I also have a hidden word in two catalogs for a prize and a small "spy hunt" for everyone in the catalogs (I marked each of the Super Starter Kit items in the catalog with a small colored circle sticker and they have to figure out what those products mean) - the first one to figure out the clues gets 10% off. I also had a few other things up my sleeve and was "ready" for the show. Now that she tells me the number of people attending, there isn't any possible way we can do a cook-off. And I don't think the "games" will fly now that there will be so many people attending.

But here is my biggest concern... with a group that large who will be consuming Martini's - how do I keep things under control? How do I get through a demo without losing the attention to a martini refill?? I am all for the party atmosphere as I think it helps sales, but how to I keep a group this size from getting out of control? And what the heck do I demo now that I have to start from scratch? The host is asking every couple to bring their favorite PC appetizer so I don't have to worry about making enough food!

I think it will end up being such a large group because of two things - the host told me she has been talking up the stoneware sale as so many of her neighbors love the stoneware. But the real reason it is growing in size each day is that this woman and her husband have kind of created the "Willie Wonka effect"...they have lived in their nighborhood for about 3 1/2 years now and none of the neighbors have ever seen inside the house. They are all curious to what goes on in the house (as am I!! ;) - our sons have been friends for 3 years and I have not once seen inside the house when dropping off or picking up my son.) and so they all are making sure they have the date open. So will this effect my sales too? Are they just coming to get a glimpse of the "chocolate factory" :rolleyes: or do they want the products??

How do YOU manage a group of this size? How can I tie in the 007 theme now that I can't do my "games"? HELP! :eek:

Holy cow! I can understand that you may be feeling a bit overwhelmed at this point. I had a couples show a couple months ago that was similiar. She was expecting about 17 couples, so not quite as big. I had always wanted to do a couples show and she booked off another show when I started talking about wanting to do one. The funny thing is she had hosted a PC couples show a few years before, so she knew a good way to do it. She had a pretty big house, so this was easy to do, but basically we split everyone up into four separate groups. Each group did a recipe, so I brought most of my products to this and I have a lot! I brought duplicates of somethings, but had to coordinate the recipes so I'd have enough products to go around or share. THis is what we made: Chicken Enchilada Ring, Shrimp Wonton Cups, Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake and one of the dessert pizzas...I forget which one. It ended up working pretty well. She had nuts and candy out and of course drinks. You're right in thinking once people get a few martinis in them, you're pretty much out of luck trying to control the group. My host told me that the other consultant years ago did her little presentation at the beginning (no demo or anything, just some business stuff and announcements), then let everyone go to it. That's what I did. I started off playing a game (I found a funny one on here that was a quiz about the products....reading the descriptions, some of which were sexual innuendos, and the group had to guess the products.) I threw Hershey's hugs and kisses to people who took stabs at answering. I also passed around about 11 products that are a little odd and most people (especially the men) didn't really know what they were, so they guessed. I also gave them kisses and hugs. I literally threw them at them, so I warned them they'd better not talk and be inattentive or else they'd get whipped in the head with one. :D Another thing I heard here was to tell the husbands they weren't allowed to leave and wander off to do their own thing or else that gave the wives permission to spend at least $100. That got some laughs.

I HAD planned to reconvene in the family room after the recipes were in the oven to review some other stuff, but I realized soon after they started making the recipes that it was NOT going to happen. They were all having fun and I didn't want to seem like the party pooper. Everyone had a good time, so I was pretty disappointed when I only got one booking. OH well. And the show wasn't as good as I expected. I think probably only 15 couples came, which obviously only means 15 potential orders. It wasn't even a $500 show when I left that night. Several couples didn't order, which was fine with me. But the host didn't work very hard on getting outside orders and I think that could've made a HUGE difference. It did close out over $500, but I was thinking it would have been more.

My advice is not to do too much of a demo, if one at all. With that group of people, it'll be hard for everyone to see anyway, so they'll be distracted and end up talking. Having THEM make the recipes is a great idea. I just walked around and checked to see if people had questions or needed help. Looking back, I wish I would have gotten into the mix of each group at the tables they were at and demo'd stuff right there. I barely talked about the products due to this format and that may have hurt me.

Anyway, it's late and I know I'm rambling, so feel free to email me if you have other questions. Doing a search on here for "Couples Show" would be a great idea. Good luck! This has the potential to be HUGE! :D

Don't forget to bring an assistant....... or appoint one at the show. You will need someone to help you tally orders (this is a GREAT opportunity to get someone interested in the business too.) Just a suggestion- keep your 'presentation' to about 15 minutes with a group this large- they will obviously be there to socialize and drink ti many martoonis, so just go with the flow. Talk about the order form, specials, stoneware, cookware and break them up into teams like Becky did. They will appreciate the items more once they use them anyways. Release them to cook, and make sure to interract. Maybe more of an open house atmosphere since it seems to be leaning that way anyways. Good luck and I am looking forward to hearing about the results! :)

Wow!! I can't wait to hear about this one. You've got me wanting to see the inside of her house :D

Martini MunchiesHave you thought of doing a martini munchie demo? You use some tools to cut up a bunch of veggies, put the dip/dressing at the bottom of the martini glass with the veggies sticking out like straws? It is so quick & simple. You have to do a lot of word pictures to describe how else you could use the products, but it is a quick demo.
Esther

an update...Well, I had the couples show on Friday night. Man, was that a crazy time! There were a total of 42 people - 26 couples! The party was in their garage and they had a small tent canopie at the end of the garage to "extend the room". I set up a table at the bak of the garage, next to the "bar". The show part ended up being a joke. I had changed the plans to just be me making a sandwich ring and asking people to help using different tools. I also had a few other short, quick things planned. But this is how it ended up going...after announcing 4 or 5 times that we were going to start (no one would stop talking) I finally began and had to shout at the top of my lungs since it was still quite loud. I got about 5 minutes into my demo and realized no one was really paying any attention to me except for about 6 women who came up and huddled around my table. I just stopped attempting to do my demo and just prepared the ring. The women around me asked questions, were picking up tools, and were flipping through a catalog. I finished the ring and just cleaned my table up. The host then announced that I would be in the kitchen if anyone wanted to place an order. By this time, I still had a smile on my face, but was fuming inside. At that point, the evening felt like it was a huge waste of my time and I was insulted that I was even asked to attempt to do any sort of demo in those surroundings. Fast forward to about 10 minutes later and then I changed my mind - there were at least 4 - 5 people in the kitchen at all times placing orders. This is my biggest show yet and the orders are still coming in! The show was just under $800 when I left and the host called me yesterday and said she still has about 8 - 10 more orders (some of which are quite large) and will be ready to close the show on Wednesday. I think this will be my first $1000 show!

So, basically I realized a lot of things during this show...I should have just had a small display set up for the guests to look at - no demo was necessary as everyone there was very familiar with PC. A kitchen show with a theme of Martinis is pretty much guaranteed to get out of hand quickly. ;) Sometimes even when things don't go as I pre-planned; I need to give it a chance and see how it turns out. I was quick to judge that this show was going to be a bust when I couldn't get anyone to listen to me or even show any interest in the demo...I was wrong - they knew what they wanted and were enjoying the party.

Whoo hooLet us know what you close at !! we are all excited now !! Sounds like it went well !! Lucky you !! :)

Way to go!Congradulations on having a successful show! I have learned a great deal from your experience. Thanks for sharing.

WowSounds like fun! I have wanted to do a couples show - but will definitely proceed with caution! I like the statement about husbands not leaving - or wife's are free to spend!

Is there instructions/flyers, etc. attached here somewhere for the 007 Martini show?

1. What exactly is a Huge Couples Party?

A Huge Couples Party is a fun and interactive event where couples can come together and learn about new kitchen tools and recipes while enjoying each other's company.

2. Do we have to buy anything at the party?

No, there is no pressure to purchase anything at the party. It is simply a chance for couples to learn and have fun. However, if you do decide to make a purchase, you can earn discounts and free products as a host.

3. Can we bring our own drinks and snacks?

Absolutely! In fact, we encourage couples to bring their own beverages and snacks to enjoy during the party. It's a great way to make the event even more personalized and enjoyable.

4. How long does a Huge Couples Party typically last?

The party usually lasts around 2-3 hours, depending on the number of guests and how many recipes are being demonstrated. However, the length can be adjusted to fit your schedule and preferences.

5. Will there be any games or activities at the party?

Yes, our parties are full of fun games and activities that are designed to get everyone involved and having a good time. From taste tests to recipe challenges, there's something for everyone to enjoy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie50
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
linzground
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Liquid Sky
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies