• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Will You Justify the Cost...

In summary, several people at work reacted negatively to the new Sauces to Customers from Tastefully Simple. The author thinks that the high shipping costs may be a problem for potential customers. There are several ideas for how to increase sales of the sauces, including bundling with other products, offering samples at shows, and suggesting recipes that use them.
pampered1224
Silver Member
of the new Sauces to Customers? I just put mine out at work on my desk. Several people came up to look and they oo'd and ah'd over the names of them but when they caught the price, they pratically dropped the bottles.
Tastefully Simple has several sauces that come in 12 ounce sizes and are only $8.99. After the reaction I just got, I do not believe I can sell them at that price. Any ideas on how to reverse the negative we ARE going to get?

I have no idea. That is a good question. I do not have to compete with TS around here, so, they will not a problem for me. Competing with store brands that are much cheaper will be my problem though. I can use the line of our warranty and returns and all for the products but the sauces will be a different story.

good question, esp since they are not very strong. i have tried the ginger-wasabi as a glaze on salmon and it tasted nice, but it doesn't go very far.

perhaps this is PCs way of testing consumables again?

I've been wondering how this is going to work too.

I LOVE the flavor of both of the new sauces - but I know that I would NEVER pay $12.99 for one. I wouldn't even pay $8.99 for one...and I'm not sure that I'll ever even pay the supply order price for them, except for possibly a special occasion.

ChefBeckyD said:
I LOVE the flavor of both of the new sauces - but I know that I would NEVER pay $12.99 for one. I wouldn't even pay $8.99 for one...and I'm not sure that I'll ever even pay the supply order price for them, except for possibly a special occasion.

ill probably never own the ginger-wasabi for this very reason.

I'm thinking of offerring my own special in March...if they spend $60 dollars or more, they not only get the silicone basting brush for free, they can save $2 on one of the sauces.

Some products may sell themselves in the catalog but I won't be specifically talking about the sauces. There are so many other new products to talk about that it doesn't worry me. Those new sizes of the collapsible bowl will be very popular in my area!

John,
One thing I just thought of is that TS has really high shipping costs for food products. Granted, I know they come directly to the door, but let's say that you bought 2 TS items, they'd be paying $6-7 in shipping for those two items. In general, if you have someone buying the sauce, they will generally order products too, so they are getting a "deal" on shipping. If not, then maybe you could ask people who seem interested and maybe they could split the shipping. Then, the price comes out relatively even.

I'm like Jennifer though, we don't have a lot of competition with TS down here. My good friend sells it, but most of my customers have never heard of it.

sorry for the double post, but another thing I just thought of....

I know you brought the sauces to work, so the focus is on just the sauces. But, if you took them when you did a show and had your host get a pkg of cream cheese and some crackers, then maybe a guest wouldn't have a problem adding it onto their order at the show where they are buying other products. Worth a shot!!!

I think these are all good ideas. A bundle with a sauce (or both), petite squares and a platter or cracker board is a good way to "hide" the cost of the sauces. It always amazes me that people pay as much as they do for TS sauces. If we let people sample them and get them hooked, they may be more inclined to overlook the cost. Especially if we offer dinner suggestions that use them.

I'd gladly pay the price for the Ginger Wasabi - yummy!
Probably not for the Spicey Pineapple sauce (it's good, but not THAT good IMO)

Funny, until this thread, I never looked at the price of these.

I heard from my director that Tastefully Simple was possibly going under... anyone else heard that? She suggested getting ahold of anyone that you know that sells and trying to recruit them. She said she heard from a pretty reliable source.

I'd actually hate to see TS go under -- they have lots of terrific products that we don't offer and I love. People around here do very well with selling TS.

I thought the same thing on the price! I didn't even notice the price until I went to order them on my supply order and thought, "Is that a discount price."

I'm not even sure I want to take them to my shows. My shows aren't always close together so it would be costly to open a bottle for every show. I don't think I would make enough commission to justify the cost of samples (IMO).

I would hate to see TS go out as well. I like some of their things.

pamperedlinda said:
I'd gladly pay the price for the Ginger Wasabi - yummy!
Probably not for the Spicey Pineapple sauce (it's good, but not THAT good IMO)

Funny, until this thread, I never looked at the price of these.

I never looked either Linda!! I enjoyed the tasting in the Product Showcase room. I think these are yummy! They might not sell, but who cares? Maybe in a year and a half we'll get a bunch of these for free at conference, too!! The cake was good, but it was complicated to make (plus expensive to make) and too pricey to purchase. I sure did love getting them for FREE though!!:D

Chef Kearns said:
I never looked either Linda!! I enjoyed the tasting in the Product Showcase room. I think these are yummy! They might not sell, but who cares? Maybe in a year and a half we'll get a bunch of these for free at conference, too!! The cake was good, but it was complicated to make (plus expensive to make) and too pricey to purchase. I sure did love getting them for FREE though!!:D

What cake?

pamperedlinda said:
What cake?

Remember the lemon and chocolate cake mixes from a few years ago? And then they were giving away as many lemon cake mixes as you could carry at Conference, after they were discontinued....I had about 10 of them but ended up throwing half of them away because they sat in my pantry for so long.

ChefBeckyD said:
Remember the lemon and chocolate cake mixes from a few years ago? And then they were giving away as many lemon cake mixes as you could carry at Conference, after they were discontinued....I had about 10 of them but ended up throwing half of them away because they sat in my pantry for so long.

Oh now I get it!!! I though she made a cake with the pineaple sauce :p and that would be expensive!

Yep, I think I wound up with 6 or 7 cake mixes, those were discontinued about the time I started. I made it twice and didn't like it either time :yuck: My housekeper love it though so I gave the rest of them to her.

I agree ... I don't think it's up to justify costs at all. They are what they are. If people want the product because it's unique they will pay what it costs. Just explain what is unique and high quality about it.

gailz2 said:
I'd actually hate to see TS go under -- they have lots of terrific products that we don't offer and I love. People around here do very well with selling TS.

You will not have to worry about this. TS is not going under. I believe this info is posted on their web site...maybe it's just on the consultant site. TS is one of the company's that is debt-free. Heard if from a very reliable source---JILL Ceo/founder.

hmm, I agree. I never try to justify anything to my customers. This is what it costs. It is a quality product and you can either buy it out right or you can host and get it discounted. If you don't feel like it is worth either of those things to you. Well then it isn't. And nothing I say will change that. Personally, I love both. I will buy them when I want them :)

I also think that items like these sauces are a small luxury. Many people are cutting back on big luxuries. But if they still want to treat themselves, they'll get something little.

Thank you. Very good points all the way around. And yes, I like TS as well but the shipping!!!! Yikes. So that taken into consideration the cost of a bottle of their $8.99 Merlot Sauce is about what, $15.99! And flavors they don't have, negativity fought. Thanks! I will say this, I can't wait to try them! I love the sound of both so... And you're right, some will, some won't and what does it hurt me anyway to have them in the catalog. It's not like I have to stock them!
(((Sometimes I can be just such a dumb blond!!!!)

pampered1224 said:
(((Sometimes I can be just such a dumb blond!!!!)

Hey! I've warned you about that! :p

I think you'll like them, John. They're yummy!!

ChefBeckyD said:

I still have a lemon one in my pantry. Guess I'll go throw it out now. LOL

I'm going to take 2 "sample" servings in my 2 oz pinch bowl sets (have 2 sets one for shows & one for home)
that way the bottle stays in fridge & I don't forget to unpack and refrigerate I will show the pinch bowls off and have pretzels in the snack bowls passed around in the chip and dip bowl so I'll be showcasing 4 products (total value $82.50 for a few pennies invested in the pretzels and sauces)
the bottle will last longer than offering over cream cheese.

Great idea Teresa! Just gotta watch out for those double dippers! LOL

I hadn't heard about TS exit but have heard homemade gourmet will probably be gone within a year
The daughter of the lady who started it danced with my daughter and its pretty big business here for alot of moms
I hope its just a rumor but it came from a pretty reliable source from within

I wouldn't be surprised if other more "luxury item" companies go by the wayside. I guess "luxury" is all in how you define it, though. Some people probably consider us a luxury.I heard on the radio today that Panasonic is laying off 15,000 employees and closing 20 plants worldwide. That is huge. Some interesting times we live in....

I never noticed the cost either...I guess if someone wants it bad enough they will buy it...neither of these sauces appeal to me.
What is this about Tastefully Simple? I have a good friend who sells and she has said nothing to me about it...she did tell me that if I had come along before she started TS that she would be doing PC right now...

DebbieJ said:
I wouldn't be surprised if other more "luxury item" companies go by the wayside. I guess "luxury" is all in how you define it, though. Some people probably consider us a luxury.

I heard on the radio today that Panasonic is laying off 15,000 employees and closing 20 plants worldwide. That is huge. Some interesting times we live in....
I just had an email today from a Home Interiors consultant stating that they're merging with Home and Garden Party.

ChefBeckyD said:
I've been wondering how this is going to work too.

yes, this is me as well! I earned the pineapple one. It IS yummy but 12 buck or even 8 bucks yummy?! Well.... no. LOL

What irks me is that PC is trying to sell them as being economy friendly and being a company who is actively trying to offer quality at decent prices while empowering you to frugally feed your family. :mad: Nobody that I know would EVER consider spending $12.00 on a SAUCE being frugal! :yuck:

Personally, I will share with them the one I have until its gone. Then... nadda. I can give them props but I doubt I will sell any.

I. just. don't. get. it.!!!! :cry:

How long will these stay in the fridge? I don't think they should be saved more then a week or two.

pampchefrhondab said:
How long will these stay in the fridge? I don't think they should be saved more then a week or two.

months - if kept at proper temperatures

LeanneB. said:
I heard from my director that Tastefully Simple was possibly going under... anyone else heard that? She suggested getting ahold of anyone that you know that sells and trying to recruit them. She said she heard from a pretty reliable source.

My friend is with TS and they are NOT going under. She said their sales are up 7% despite the economy.

pamperedlinda said:
months - if kept at proper temperatures

Wow, I had no idea. I would have thought w/no preservatives added they wouldn't keep long, but the PIG does not say - just to refrig.

That's actually just my guess - for the exact time, email the Test Kitchen.

pampchefrhondab said:
Wow, I had no idea. I would have thought w/no preservatives added they wouldn't keep long, but the PIG does not say - just to refrig.

Vinegar (and anything citrus), is a natural preservative. That's why you can can pickles, and other preserves, without any added preservatives, and they will keep for months open in the refrigerator. ;)

Salt, too. The wasabi ginger is a little salty - I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fairly significant amount of soy in it, which would also act as a preservative. (I'm feeling too lazy to get up and check the ingredient lists on the bottles.)

chefann said:
Salt, too. The wasabi ginger is a little salty - I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fairly significant amount of soy in it, which would also act as a preservative. (I'm feeling too lazy to get up and check the ingredient lists on the bottles.)
Yep, you're right. Didn't think about the salt, but knew they both had some vinegar in them....and I'm too lazy to go check right now too!:p

Well, I have to tell you, I had a TS party for a friend two weeks ago--and I usually just buy from her at craft fairs and such--the shipping wasn't too bad I thought--$6.99 per order, but I was apalled at how much I had to do for the party ahead of time and how much I DIDN'T get for hosting--I wound up with like 3 dips and a pound cake for a $300+ show.

1. How is the cost of Pampered Chef's new sauces justified compared to other brands?

The cost of our sauces reflects the high-quality ingredients and unique flavor profiles that have been carefully developed by our team of chefs. Our sauces are also larger in size, with each bottle containing 16 ounces compared to Tastefully Simple's 12 ounces.

2. Can you provide some examples of the benefits of using Pampered Chef sauces?

Pampered Chef sauces are versatile and can be used in a variety of dishes, making meal preparation quick and easy. They are also free of preservatives and artificial flavors, providing a healthier option for customers.

3. Are there any special promotions or discounts available for the new sauces?

We often have promotions and discounts available for our loyal customers. You can also host a Pampered Chef party to earn free and discounted products, including our new sauces.

4. How do Pampered Chef sauces compare in price to other premium brands?

Our sauces are competitively priced compared to other premium brands on the market. We believe that the quality and taste of our sauces make them worth the investment.

5. How can I convince my friends and family to try the new sauces despite the higher cost?

You can share your personal experience with the sauces and how they have elevated your cooking. You can also offer to host a tasting party where they can try the sauces for themselves before making a decision. And don't forget to mention our satisfaction guarantee – if they are not satisfied with the product, we offer a full refund.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered1224
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
vonfirmath
  • NooraK
  • Products and Tips
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
Tracy99